Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alright GW Players I got a ?

loondddloonddd Member Posts: 12

Ok first of all I don't want responces from all those annoying WoW players or anyone else who has never played the game. I'm just wondering from someone who has played GW and maybe some other MMORPG if it is worth getting. I liked EQ alot and I played it for a while, but eventually it got so insane I had to stop. I played Diablo II for a while but doing the same thing over and over got me really really bored and I had to stop. I don't mind the fact that there is no grind but I just wanna know if there is anything to do after 20 besides the same kind of pvp over and over. EQ was great because of its vastness and community. I dont care if you dont have to sit for hours grinding, but I get bored if their is nothing to aspire to, nothing to accomplish. I have played anarchy and I got bored quickly and I have been looking for another mmoprg to start playing for the summer but I can't really find anything that suits me. WoW looked cool but all the stuff i hear about hacking and annoying people and it being really easy repels me. I like the community of a guild and attempting to accomplish something as a group, I like pvp, and I like grouping in general. So with all that what do you guys think, is this the game for me?

I loved EQ in it's prime and i grew to hate it
I never really liked the limited world of Diablo II
I like community and change, moving on to something new

Comments

• AtleusAtleus Member Posts: 21

This game met all your requirements image This game is a unique online game and plus, there isn't any monthly fees :D So what are ya waitin' for? Grab your bucks and go to your local game store and buy Guild Wars! image I really love this game, it's really worth getting. I mean come on, amazing graphics, pvp and mini pvp events, hall of heroes, nicely scripted quests and missions, what more can you get? You don't even have to pay monthly! image

x[..The end will make a new beginning..]x

• KMar_SoldierKMar_Soldier Member Posts: 41
    I think GW is a perfect game for you. As Atleus said, no monthly fee, good quests/missions and storylines, a vast community with the ability to join guilds, PvP tournaments and so on. Have fun...

::Semper Paratus Pro Justitia::

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Dont listen to them, GW suck. Play D2 instead. You will reach lvl 20 in like 40 hrs in GW... Add that to no crafting... Yes there is some "crafting" if you would call trading in a rock + some gold then you get an item back at a smith for crafting.... image

If you want something challenging, where it will take years to reach end lvl & explore all game content, I suggest you get Anarchy Online, with Shadowland, Notum Wars & Alien Invasion expansions. The GFX isnt great, but you will get TONS of ways to cutsomize you character, with plenty of crafting if you like that, as well as nice & helpful ingame community.

I played AO since release (3+ years), and only got to 203 or so with my highest character. 220 is max regular lvl, then you will have 30 Aliens levels beside that.

I have played all major MMORPGS, and I must say the must spectacular game is AO, with Lineage 2 as the worst, followed by Guild Wars.

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

• AlkanphelAlkanphel Member Posts: 132

Originally posted by chrisel

Dont listen to them, GW suck. Play D2 instead. You will reach lvl 20 in like 40 hrs in GW... Add that to no crafting... Yes there is some "crafting" if you would call trading in a rock + some gold then you get an item back at a smith for crafting.... image

Alright I am not the only one that thinks this! You Chrisel have lost all credibility. Every post you put on the GW forum is nothing but Flame. I guess you really like to be an Antagonist. Do us a favor and do not post anymore in this forum!

Back to topic

I for one have played many MMORPG, and the reason I have enjoyed playing this game (for my own reasons) is that every time I leave the community area I have my own private map to explore without being bothered. If I wanted a party to accomplish quest's there are always people looking for a group. Like in my other post I said I was a sceptic when buying this title, but since I been playing GW I believe it is a very fun game to play.

There are people that are saying that they play this game when they are bored with whatever MMORPG, but the thing is that they are still playing!

No monthly Fees

Quests all over the place, and some you have to find.

Your private map unless your in a party.

The game really starts after the Searing.

Absolutly no grinding...

• donaldduckdonaldduck Member UncommonPosts: 158

Yes definately try GW, seems to be everything you are looking for. Its easily the most exciting and best value RP online game by far.

(And don't try AO as chrisel suggests, its the biggest pile of doodoo you could ever play. Even its cookie cutter missions are a grind. image )

• DevnantDevnant Member Posts: 24

I dont care at all what you GW fanbois think about me. GW is one of the worst games around. Period. Im perfectly entitled to warn whoever I want about this, so stfu.
    Maybe youre not used to people state their opinion, but where I come from I can say whatever I like. I happen to live in a free country, bloody redneck.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion chrisel. I definitely agree with that. But all your opinions are solely based on the tutorial of Guild Wars. You only played Pre Searing Ascalon, and only until lvl 4. And then you sold the two copies that you bought (very smart thing to do by the way *cough* *cough*).

I have never heard of anyone who played just the tutorial of a game and later said that it sucked. You are the first of a kind. image

• Sanctus_MorsSanctus_Mors Member Posts: 597

um, waiter, there's a fly in my soup. image

I'm a regular "fanboi" image of CoH, but I've found GW a nice change of pace. I still consider CoH my MMO of choice but with the no monthly fee that GW offers and how reminicant of NeverWinter Nights, I'm able to hop on for an hour to play GW and not feel that I "have to play"

Beautiful graphics, a purpose to explore (Need to find those skills that work great together) and loads and load of quests.

your arguement is so persuasive, so filled with knowledge and insight. You back up your argument very articulately, with suggestions of improvements and raising examples to glorify your position....oh wait, you didn't

• kmimmorpgkmimmorpg Member Posts: 624
    Removed by poster.
  • loondddloonddd Member Posts: 12

2 other questions i thought of. 1 is there a world of GW that is not a specific map that is created personally for you. 2 after 20 is their still a point to doing missions and questing?

I was all ready to get this game but it seems like so many people say it sucks and has no content.

• asianbrazilasianbrazil Member Posts: 20

Guild wars is really worth getting. no monthly fees, beautiful game, wonderful people, amazing gameplay. don't listen a chrisel, i dont even know why he's in here, other than being a troll. every post he's done is just trying to flame GW. but seriously, GW is awesome, its a game worth trying out at least. there aren't any maps that are open to all people, but when you reach towns there are a lot of people in each different district. after lvl 20, you still have countless hours to explore the unlimited world of guildwars. plus, you can also play with your guild in PvP, which is like a whole different thing. chrisel is just discrediting GW in almost every thread because he's a WoW fanboi or something. he has no logic or reason behind his posts, just being a flaming troll.

Playing: Guildwars

• jd269jd269 Member Posts: 225

I enjoy GW, but if you're looking fora game that will have a community rivaling early EQ.. well, this isn't it. GW is much more about action and adventure than about community, and meeting new friends although you can certainly do so, but that is not the main focus of this game. It is not an EQ style MMORPG like pretty much every other game on this website, if that's the type of game you're looking for then WoW is your best bet. If however you are looking for a game with fast paced action (in both PvP and PvE), and an excellent adventure style RPG (in PvE). Think of a quality single player adventure RPG that you can play with your friends, and add to that counter-strike (minus the twich of aiming your gun, but with the strategy of using fantasy type skills) like PvP in a fantasy setting. I'd suggest reading the review on Gamespot.. from the video I can see that the guy made it fairly deep into the game, and provides a solid, honest review, and even a video review.

This is the url:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/guildwars/index.html?q=guild+wars

There are people who complain about games after lvl 1. I have really tried my best to see if GW was something good, cause Im fed up with WoW, AO, NC, L2, EVE +++.

I left EQ2 after one day cause there was no pvp, even though it was a good game. Couldnt dream of complaining about that cause it was really a good game. To me GW is one of the worst, plain and simple.

Should I torture myself to lvl 20 just to please you...?

And if it bothers you so much that I complain, why on earth do you feed me, cause apparently Im somehow a "troll" on this forum.

Anyone got a cookie...?

-love Chris El Diablo image

Originally posted by Devnant

And then you sold the two copies that you bought (very smart thing to do by the way *cough* *cough*).

wtf are you talking about??? Where on earth do you get that from?? The collectors edition is stuffed away in a chest behind me, the other (unopened) copy which was intended for my friend, I returned to the shop where I bought it and got a receit back. Jeesus.... whats next here....?

Did I insult your IQ with my opinions about GW? If so; sorry, it was not intentional. I had no idea it was made for people with simple minds ONLY.

• jd269jd269 Member Posts: 225

And then you sold the two copies that you bought (very smart thing to do by the way *cough* *cough*).
    wtf are you talking about??? Where on earth do you get that from?? The collectors edition is stuffed away in a chest behind me, the other (unopened) copy which was intended for my friend, I returned to the shop where I bought it and got a receit back. Jeesus.... whats next here....?
    Did I insult your IQ with my opinions about GW? If so; sorry, it was not intentional. I had no idea it was made for people with simple minds ONLY.

If it was made for simple minds only, you would be playing. Seriously.. let me try to put this in a perspective you may one day understand, YOU WERE IN THE TUTORIAL. It's essentially the equivalent of someone booting up Anarchy Online, choosing their faction, killing 1 leet, never even zoning into the city, and coming onto these boards saying ANARCHY ONLINE SUCKS SO STFU.

• HelixwolfHelixwolf Member Posts: 345

Originally posted by asianbrazil

Guild wars is really worth getting. no monthly fees, beautiful game, wonderful people, amazing gameplay. don't listen a chrisel, i dont even know why he's in here, other than being a troll. every post he's done is just trying to flame GW. but seriously, GW is awesome, its a game worth trying out at least. there aren't any maps that are open to all people, but when you reach towns there are a lot of people in each different district. after lvl 20, you still have countless hours to explore the unlimited world of guildwars. plus, you can also play with your guild in PvP, which is like a whole different thing. chrisel is just discrediting GW in almost every thread because he's a WoW fanboi or something. he has no logic or reason behind his posts, just being a flaming troll.

Yes please, don't pay attention to chrisel's flame/troll posts because he's mad at the fact that he didn't like it and cannot get his money back on the copies he bought. You know what, tuff luck, move on. Listen to people who have a little more experience in the game and with characters over level four, and ALOT more then just 2 hours of game play in GW.

Now, from my experience, I think GW is a pretty good game with a pretty good community, missions, and items. It's not like your traditional MMORPG as you probably have seen. There is no monsters to be "raided", no monthly fees to worry about, and everything is instanced to prevent item stealing and kill stealing. 

Two things I think you should really take note of are:

-Teaming can be a pain at times if you're not a monk, but you'll eventually get a team to do exploring or missioning; if not, try the henchmen.

-The levels only range 1-20, but let me tell you, I have a level 20 Ranger/Mesmer and I have not seen alot of the game still and I'm missing alot of nmy skills that I need to get from other locations and monster bosses.

Check out some of the GW sites and see for yourself. Again, GW is not you tradtional MMO, so you may like it or you may not.

• TyveilTyveil Member Posts: 201

And then you sold the two copies that you bought (very smart thing to do by the way *cough* *cough*).

Did I insult your IQ with my opinions about GW? If so; sorry, it was not intentional. I had no idea it was made for people with simple minds ONLY.

.. and with each post you dig yourself further.
  • ThosThos Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by loonddd
    2 other questions i thought of. 1 is there a world of GW that is not a specific map that is created personally for you. 2 after 20 is their still a point to doing missions and questing?I was all ready to get this game but it seems like so many people say it sucks and has no content.

Loonddd,

I’ll try to answer your questions:

1) The “maps” are all private and instanced for you and your party except the towns. The towns are general meeting places. There are usually lots of people all over in the towns and there are many districts to choose from. So you shouldn’t have too much trouble finding people to group with or talk to. However other than Guilds, I personally wouldn’t consider this a social type of game. So if that’s what your into you may be disappointed with that aspect of the game.

2) Ok, I’ll try to explain it; In Guild Wars the skills (spells, abilities, etc) are whats important and define your avatar and his/her abilities not your level. In traditional mmorpg games your level is what is defines your class abilities and is important to your overall progression throughout the game. In Guild Wars your level gives your basic health and energy bonuses and satisfies any requirements. Your level is important it just doesn’t define your overall abilities. Your profession (class) defines what skills are available for you to learn. And your skills define your abilities and overall progression (still with me?). Your skills are not given to you when you level. They need to be earned through questing or other means. There are 150 or so different skills for each profession and you get to pick two professions. So you have a lot to choose from and a lot to do! At end game, level cap would mean little in this game. Many people are stuck believing that the level cap can only mean end game. In Guild Wars this is not the case! Although getting levels is fast its not the point of the game! Again, for the special people, level capping is NOT the end of the game! -- I hope that helps, heh. ::::01::

Yea, many people have said Guild Wars sux and has no content, among other things, since release and they will continue to do so as long as they are being heard. I have a hard time believing the people that hate this game could know much about it and in such a short amount of time. We all know how hear-say works! LoL… BTW, If you hate the game so much why would you play it to end and if you didn’t play it to end how could you possible know much about it? Nothing but wishful thinking and bobbing heads… I’d say! -- Personally, I would prefer to listen to facts posted by the developers; they at least have a reputation to live up to and promisses to keep (unless they are Blizzard, of course). Also, with all the very positive reviews from many major gaming sites and a huge fan base, chances are its at least a decent game!

• ChonkaChonka Member Posts: 27
    See the funny thing to me is this... Chisel is right and wrong.  I'm an EQ veteran and I love GW because it's everything that every other MMORPG ISN'T.  The concept, gameplay, items, etc. are all fresh and new and diffferent than the usual grind, camp, farm, raid. The game is based on having absolutely wonderful adventures with your friends or guild.  My brother and I play together (wireless network) and hire a henchman or two to help us out if we need it.  The missions have been incredible beyond explanation.  AND on the other hand, when you get sick of leveling up your character or doing missions you can go blow some steam in the PvP Gladiator Area where random teams fight random teams..(AND EARN REAL EXPERIENCE!!).  Also Guilds can speak with other Guilds and form real guild wars and such which earn your reputation and fame unlike any other game. I highly recommend this game to anyone who wants something fresh and fun.  I didn't think I would come across a game that could hold my interest like EQ did ever again.  EQII sucks and is dumbed down to the point of pointless grinding and questing for no real reward at all, even Chisel knows that.  And you can't deny that fact that there is NO FEES. All this and the fact that the game's graphics are some of the best I've ever seen should tell you this is no game to pass up. You have nothing to lose, you could only gain.  If you dont try this game, your doing yourself wrong.

Chonka Kimoto 70 Shaman (EQ I since beta) - Retired
    Azuri Spiritweaver 26 Mystic / 13 Craftsman (EQ II) - Retired due to boredom
    Azuri Jingizu W/N20 (Guild Wars)