Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Warhammer 40K Dark Millenium will be best MMO ever

UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

This article sums it up best, no static MOBs, playing mindless whack a mole, and these guys don't like the way current MMOs bore the player with redundancy....he even says NO KILLING RATS!

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/12/04/warhammer-40k-dark-millennium-online-a-grim-dark-future/

Comments

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

do u even play mmo before?  u would know half of stuff are hype and no show.

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

Duh, been playing MMOs since 1999.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

I don't Mind killing rats "Squigs?" I HATE running back to town to turn in a quest and get a New one. Let me stay in the field killing. That was the best part of FFXI, Quests were Fluff and Fun. Leveling was a Group, Murdering Mobs out in the woods, or on the Beach.

Let it be something like that. Go kill 200 Chaos Marines, 75 Squigs, 3 Tanks, a Walker, then we will let you go kill a Titan. I don't wanna see your ass for a Week. Your a Space Marine, I shouldn't need to hold your hand and tell you what to kill, Go Freaking kill for the Glory of the God Emperor.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Give me a 3rd faction and it could be in the running.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

The title should be "Why mmorpg.com users will never learn a lesson about hype".

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

There has been a lot of changes since that articale was published and no real news of what is happening, it's hard to say this will be the best ever cause we just don't know enough.

• jnicholajnichola Member Posts: 118

Originally posted by GTwander

The title should be "Why mmorpg.com users will never learn a lesson about hype".

Just because its hype doesnt mean its unrealistic or improbable.   There is such a thing as 'living up to the hype'.  I think WoW did when it was released,  I have high hopes for this game, I like the design team a lot. Joe Madureira (Joe Mad for you Uncanny X-Men fans) and John Mueller are fantastic artists and make an amazing backbone for t he visual team.  The system design team seems to be a little lacking in experience but I love their Ideas and I have been pleasantly suprised with how they have presented the game so far.  Its in its infancy still but their gamecon presence was very professional and  their PR guys (for the most part) have handled themselves well in interviews about the game. 

Its very ealry to be so negative about this game,  the IP alone is enough of a reason to expect good things.  Even if they didn't have one of t he best comic book artist/writers ever on staff.

• SpasticolonSpasticolon Member Posts: 178

2 Factions just rapes the everloving out of the Lore, 3 would be the least amount they could do without completely breaking the entire lore and retconning it into death. Having every faction available would be a balancing nightmare, but much better than WAR's mistreatment of the franchise and Lore.

If very well may be the Best MMO ever, but if its 2 factions, its a sham of a WH40K universe.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Originally posted by Spasticolon

2 Factions just rapes the everloving out of the Lore, 3 would be the least amount they could do without completely breaking the entire lore and retconning it into death. Having every faction available would be a balancing nightmare, but much better than WAR's mistreatment of the franchise and Lore.

If very well may be the Best MMO ever, but if its 2 factions, its a sham of a WH40K universe.

Agreed.

It's Warhammer. Everybody is at war against everybody. 

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

I made a post about this game a while back in this mmo's forums.

The crux of my argument is that if developers are already cutting corners by making 2 factions, which is fucking pathetic considering the lore then I don't have a great deal of faith in the rest of the game.

But hey I could be wrong and the game may be great, in which care I'd probably play it, but hyping it up now as the 'best mmo ever' (lol) is just stupid.

O_o o_O

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it. - Winston Churchill

• HekketHekket Member Posts: 905

You're a little late to the show OP.

There's already a thread on the subject: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/299606/PC-Gamer-Lots-of-new-details-into-DMO.html

• HolgranthHolgranth Member Posts: 380

Originally posted by jnichola

Just because its hype doesnt mean its unrealistic or improbable.  

It is and it is developers promising to "Fix everything" with wrong with MMO' are suspect. Especially if they are new at the mmo making game.

Its very ealry to be so negative about this game,  the IP alone is enough of a reason to expect good things. 

Star Trek online, Star Wars Galaxies, Age of Conan and most of all WARHAMMER ONLINE! IP dose not equal good game.

Did Portal have a pre existing IP that I'm not aware of.

Dem hibbies! Dey be wrong!

Originally posted by Holgranth

It is and it is developers promising to "Fix everything" with wrong with MMO' are suspect. Especially if they are new at the mmo making game.

Its very ealry to be so negative about this game,  the IP alone is enough of a reason to expect good things. 

Star Trek online, Star Wars Galaxies, Age of Conan and most of all WARHAMMER ONLINE! IP dose not equal good game.

Funnily enough it did, with more in gmae mechanics like opening a portal by firing through an existing portal.

Narbacular Drop is its name, Freeware and Valve employed the devs. But, WH is a big IP, you kindof need to treat it with the respect it deserves, not some third rate shoehorned parody of it.

• HolgranthHolgranth Member Posts: 380

Originally posted by Holgranth

Funnily enough it did, with more in gmae mechanics like opening a portal by firing through an existing portal.

Narbacular Drop is its name, Freeware and Valve employed the devs. But, WH is a big IP, you kindof need to treat it with the respect it deserves, not some third rate shoehorned parody of it.

Thatnks Spastic I honestly did not know that.

Dem hibbies! Dey be wrong!

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

They did not confirm two factions in this article and they have not anywhere else, as far as I can tell. Order and Destruction, while used in WAR as realm names, are pretty broad terms. The Imperium could be considered the force of order in the galaxy (though they are certainly not paragons), and of course Chaos, Orks, and Tyranids could be grouped under Destruction.

Believe me, 99% of WAR40k fans have or are currently protesting the very notion of 2 factions. If Vigil still goes through with 2, I will be very surprised. Why lose most of your marketbase before the damn thing is even released?

As for the OP, I do not think it will be the BEST MMO ever, but it should be good. We will see, as Vigil did a good job with Darksiders but, yes, they have no MMO experience. I will still play it, at least a month, out of respect for the IP.

• HyperfishHyperfish Member Posts: 101

Originally posted by Comnitus

They did not confirm two factions in this article and they have not anywhere else, as far as I can tell. Order and Destruction, while used in WAR as realm names, are pretty broad terms. The Imperium could be considered the force of order in the galaxy (though they are certainly not paragons), and of course Chaos, Orks, and Tyranids could be grouped under Destruction.

Believe me, 99% of WAR40k fans have or are currently protesting the very notion of 2 factions. If Vigil still goes through with 2, I will be very surprised. Why lose most of your marketbase before the damn thing is even released?

As for the OP, I do not think it will be the BEST MMO ever, but it should be good. We will see, as Vigil did a good job with Darksiders but, yes, they have no MMO experience. I will still play it, at least a month, out of respect for the IP.

They didn't  say about two factions in this article but they did confirm it  in this interview: http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/warhammer40000darkmilleniumonline/interviews.html

'Strategy Informer: I assume you're going to divide up the playable races by factions? They only thing is, apart from ones like Imperial guard and Space Marines who can stick together, not all of the other races fit neatly into 'factions'. The Eldar, the Tau, the Necrons, Tyranids Chaos... had to generalise them. Are you going to try sticking with the traditional two factions or branch out to more? 

Tim Campbell: We're going to have two overall factions in the game, and all of the playable races are going to fit into one or the other. 

There are compelling reasons why that works in this situation and our game, and Games Workshops are completely on board with it so we're not doing anything that violates the IP or the fiction – the details though will be revealed in the near future. '

So regardless of whether people like it or not it's likely to be structured that way. I look forward to seeing what these, 'compelling reasons', are that'd pull apart most of the basis of their lore :) 

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by Hyperfish

They didn[object Window]t  say about two factions in this article but they did confirm it  in this interview: http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/warhammer40000darkmilleniumonline/interviews.html

[object Window]Strategy Informer: I assume you[object Window]re going to divide up the playable races by factions? They only thing is, apart from ones like Imperial guard and Space Marines who can stick together, not all of the other races fit neatly into [object Window]factions[object Window]. The Eldar, the Tau, the Necrons, Tyranids Chaos... had to generalise them. Are you going to try sticking with the traditional two factions or branch out to more? 

Tim Campbell: We[object Window]re going to have two overall factions in the game, and all of the playable races are going to fit into one or the other. 

There are compelling reasons why that works in this situation and our game, and Games Workshops are completely on board with it so we[object Window]re not doing anything that violates the IP or the fiction [object Window] the details though will be revealed in the near future. [object Window]

So regardless of whether people like it or not it[object Window]s likely to be structured that way. I look forward to seeing what these, [object Window]compelling reasons[object Window], are that[object Window]d pull apart most of the basis of their lore :) 

Hah, missed that interview, thanks.

Alliances are not unheard of in 40k, but they are fleeting at best and often end in betrayal. Yeah, I would like to see some compelling reasons. Now the best case scenario is a non-sucky Abyss - PvPvE - like Aion. It would not be crazy to suggest that the Tyranids will be a 3rd NPC faction; note he said all of the PLAYABLE races will fit into one faction or the other.

Since you seem to be good with info, do you know if they have mentioned anything about Tyranids?

• HyperfishHyperfish Member Posts: 101

Originally posted by Hyperfish

They didn[object Window]t  say about two factions in this article but they did confirm it  in this interview: http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/warhammer40000darkmilleniumonline/interviews.html

[object Window]Strategy Informer: I assume you[object Window]re going to divide up the playable races by factions? They only thing is, apart from ones like Imperial guard and Space Marines who can stick together, not all of the other races fit neatly into [object Window]factions[object Window]. The Eldar, the Tau, the Necrons, Tyranids Chaos... had to generalise them. Are you going to try sticking with the traditional two factions or branch out to more? 

Tim Campbell: We[object Window]re going to have two overall factions in the game, and all of the playable races are going to fit into one or the other. 

There are compelling reasons why that works in this situation and our game, and Games Workshops are completely on board with it so we[object Window]re not doing anything that violates the IP or the fiction [object Window] the details though will be revealed in the near future. [object Window]

So regardless of whether people like it or not it[object Window]s likely to be structured that way. I look forward to seeing what these, [object Window]compelling reasons[object Window], are that[object Window]d pull apart most of the basis of their lore :) 

Hah, missed that interview, thanks.

Alliances are not unheard of in 40k, but they are fleeting at best and often end in betrayal. Yeah, I would like to see some compelling reasons. Now the best case scenario is a non-sucky Abyss - PvPvE - like Aion. It would not be crazy to suggest that the Tyranids will be a 3rd NPC faction; note he said all of the PLAYABLE races will fit into one faction or the other.

Since you seem to be good with info, do you know if they have mentioned anything about Tyranids?

As I recall the only actual race confirmed at the moment is the Imperium. Tyranids might be a stretch to fit into this setting, so I reckon they'll probably just avoid them being playable for now. They'll probably be a hostile NPC faction if there included at all but that just a guess at this stage.

• SoraksisSoraksis Member UncommonPosts: 294

I too am a little uneasy with the 2 faction deal, but i am keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that maybe thats just the way it will be at launch and then a little later down the road they split them up with some xpac or content update.  If thats the case it could very well add some spice to the game if not then they may just cut their own throat.    On the other hand we still know very little about this game and they have sworn they have compelling reasons for doing it this way.  So before i jump ship entirely i am going to atleast wait to hear what they have to say.   It could make for a good story and if GW is on board it might not be all that bad,  i know how stingy they are with their IP and I do honestly believe or want to believe anyways they wouldng let some one destroy 20+ years of lore.  There might be more to this than we understand I will give them the benefit of the doubt untill they give reason not to.

While I am concerned over the 2 factions, he does say 2 overall factions, hoping that is not doublespeak to distract and deflect criticism, I am strangely optimistic about that comment. Having an 'overall faction' could mean that there is wiggle room for a tentative alliances to be formed and broken (resulting in petulence of not showing up to assist)

Ahh fuck, who am I kidding, im just starved for a good MMO, 2 factions sounds fucking awful. I am sad.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429

While I am concerned over the 2 factions, he does say 2 overall factions, hoping that is not doublespeak to distract and deflect criticism, I am strangely optimistic about that comment. Having an 'overall faction' could mean that there is wiggle room for a tentative alliances to be formed and broken (resulting in petulence of not showing up to assist)

Ahh fuck, who am I kidding, im just starved for a good MMO, 2 factions sounds fucking awful. I am sad.

I would remind you guys that even in a table-top wh40k there's only 2 races fighting each others in standard missions. While the rules would allow alliances there's still many restrictions for unit types. How would you turn this to an MMO? My friends joined SM army against chaos but I can't coz I rolled a farseer?

One would imagine that this game simulates one battle somewhere at the edge of the galaxy. There are many races in this universe, but this time space marines are all alone against chaos.... until the first expansion is released (at least I hope so).

I don't know if Vigil has confirm anything about tyrannids but I hope they will be around as an npc-faction to shuffle things up. Something like Balaurs in Aion.

Originally posted by deniter

I would remind you guys that even in a table-top wh40k there's only 2 races fighting each others in standard missions. While the rules would allow alliances there's still many restrictions for unit types. How would you turn this to an MMO? My friends joined SM army against chaos but I can't coz I rolled a farseer?

One would imagine that this game simulates one battle somewhere at the edge of the galaxy. There are many races in this universe, but this time space marines are all alone against chaos.... until the first expansion is released (at least I hope so).

I don't know if Vigil has confirm anything about tyrannids but I hope they will be around as an npc-faction to shuffle things up. Something like Balaurs in Aion.

Depends if it goes into Game lobby/arena, or tries to shoehorn 2 factions of Order/Destruction into a persistant world. While the tabletop is 2 armies pitted against each other, when teh game is over, they get packed away and a new game begins, in a persistant MMO world, those 2 armies have to share the field with other factions who are automagically aligned as an Ally or enemy. Nyds as an NPC race is nice, but you just screw off the Nyd gamers, what of Necrons? Also an NPC race? not too bad, but you just screw over them too. Lumping the world of WH40k into 2 faction MMO is hamfisted, but it may be the only way to get it to work with current technology and balancing. Sadly, I would prefer them to not release a game that pays mere lip service to the lore like WAR did, than attempt to water the game down to an MMO.

However, it would make Tabletop more interesting when people whos first experience with WH40K is an MMO with 2 factions not understanding why an Ork cannot be fielded with the Chaos Marines.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

Originally posted by UnleadedRev

This article sums it up best, no static MOBs, playing mindless whack a mole, and these guys don't like the way current MMOs bore the player with redundancy....he even says NO KILLING RATS!

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/12/04/warhammer-40k-dark-millennium-online-a-grim-dark-future/

I can see it ending up as bad as that other Warhammer game IMO.

Asbo

• darkboazdarkboaz Member UncommonPosts: 160

Originally posted by Shoju

Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it. - Winston Churchill

It was George Santayana not Winnie Churchill that should be given credit for the repeating the past quote although I prefer the American humorist Mark Twain (Sam Clemmons) when he said that history does not repeat its self but it does rhyme.

War never lived up to its Hype and was/is pretty Fail in part because of only having two factions. It does make sense that making a 40K MMORPG that also pigeons holes everything into two factions will also be Fail. Even during Beta on War, we were telling them two factions was Fail. I am still extremely grateful to have done that Beta as because of it I knew better then to spend a cent on it when it when live I do not need to see a Beta on this, flat out, if it only has two factions is not even worth taking a second look at. I would hope they understand that.