Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Favorite MMO Company

Comments

• Autumn_RoseAutumn_Rose Member Posts: 7

TRION WORLDS WITH RIFT!!! ^.^

-AUTUMN ROSE DOWNFALL-

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

I voted BioWare as they are my favorite gameing company, PEROID..

But when it comes to MMORPG's i'd have to vote Perfect World Entertainment.. They've provided me with the best F2P MMORPG experience yet with Heroes of The Three Kingdoms and have resolved all the tickets i've filled out while playing the game.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• elsurionelsurion Member Posts: 24

Wheres EQ2 (SOE?) ....Oh wait  "In order to qualify for this category, a gaming company has made exciting advancements with games, forthcoming or previously released."

never mind I forgot...SOE doesn't do that :p

• DwarvishDwarvish Member Posts: 208

ArenaNet ! ! !   Even the support is great

• BattlestormBattlestorm Member UncommonPosts: 136

Originally posted by Kyleran
    Yet despite all of your great points, the game fails in one critical area which seems to common to games labeled MMORPG's.  Most of the game content occurs in small instances with only a few other players, even lobbies are small instances where players cannot all interact together at the same time.
    But this is a topic that's been beaten to death a thousand times over, and I have no issue with their inclusion on this list.

Despite an attempt to reply, you forgot to make a real point that actually disproves the unarguably sound logic I've put forth. Since when is instancing NOT part of an MMO? I can't think of many MMO's that forgo instancing in some form or fashion. Saying GW is not an MMO because they use instancing (in whatever form, lets not split hairs) is like saying WoW isn't an MMO.

A reply to say that because GW uses instancing in "this" context or "that" format brings about a 'nothing' argument without a leg to stand on. It's like arguing about which type of water is more wet, the kind of water in a cup or the kind caught in a sponge. An MMO just has to be an MMO, no matter how they go about it. GW fits every definition of every word in the acronym MMORPG, there's no way around it. Done.

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

Originally posted by Battlestorm

Originally posted by Kyleran

Yet despite all of your great points, the game fails in one critical area which seems to common to games labeled MMORPG's.  Most of the game content occurs in small instances with only a few other players, even lobbies are small instances where players cannot all interact together at the same time.

But this is a topic that's been beaten to death a thousand times over, and I have no issue with their inclusion on this list.

Despite an attempt to reply, you forgot to make a real point that actually disproves the unarguably sound logic I've put forth. Since when is instancing NOT part of an MMO? I can't think of many MMO's that forgo instancing in some form or fashion. Saying GW is not an MMO because they use instancing (in whatever form, lets not split hairs) is like saying WoW isn't an MMO.

A reply to say that because GW uses instancing in "this" context or "that" format brings about a 'nothing' argument without a leg to stand on. It's like arguing about which type of water is more wet, the kind of water in a cup or the kind caught in a sponge. An MMO just has to be an MMO, no matter how they go about it. GW fits every definition of every word in the acronym MMORPG, there's no way around it. Done.

It fits the massively-multiplayer part how exactly?

• BattlestormBattlestorm Member UncommonPosts: 136

Originally posted by Sfaliara

It's massively-multiplayer, one phrase, one meaning. Where GW lacks.

LOL! You're right, I'm sorry. I seem to have thought, for some God-awful reason, that GW being a massive and multiplayer game made it a massive-multiplayer game. Good point . . . ?

Wow, really? This is an argument?

I guess MMORPG put this game on their website for no reason at all, dumb really. What were they thinking? People can be so confused sometimes.

This is an amazing argument, I've never been in one quite like it. I think I'll leave it now.

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

Originally posted by Sfaliara

It's massively-multiplayer, one phrase, one meaning. Where GW lacks.

LOL! You're right, I'm sorry. I seem to have thought, for some God-awful reason, that GW being a massive and multiplayer game made it a massive-multiplayer game. Good point . . . ?

Wow, really? This is an argument?

I guess MMORPG put this game on their website for no reason at all, dumb really. What were they thinking? People can be so confused sometimes.

This is an amazing argument, I've never been in one quite like it. I think I'll leave it now.

Yes, you should. Massive and multiplayer is different than massively-multiplayer. LoL is on MMORPG does that make an MMO? Silly arguements are silly.

• MorcotulconMorcotulcon Member UncommonPosts: 262

Arena.net. Why?

1- They proved to be one of the best companies that hear their players and the happiness of their customers, if we consider all compannies in the world. So in the mmo/co-op industry where most compannies have MAJOR flaws regarding the "customer comes first" rules, they indeed are the best. I mean, they even make inquiries and ask for players opinions about the game they are developping.

2- They always give the info about what they are doing at the moment when they want to release new info, instead of all the other companies that usually promise to have something in the future and then it's the game it's a big fail because most promises are a big fail. And Arena.net gives the details about the things that are beeing done, never saying what is going to be done because they don't know if they are really gonna do it or if it will really work well in the game. While other companies almost never reveal the details, saying that "we will have a great feature that fights X problem, and we are going to have Y feature to end grinding", but never ever ever talk about the details of that feature, and when the game releases the players learn that those features are a big fail too.

3- B2P in GW, with a cash shop only with fashionables and account service, and still a lot of updates in the game, always fixing a lot of bugs when they are found, etc etc. The game released with a lot of things really cool for the time and a lot of story and Expansions bring a lot too and are not required to still play GW (I still go there sometime and I only have the original GW). And they really solve most client support issues very fast.

4- They are published by NCSoft, but they have their own way to work completely different from NCSoft. In other words, NCSoft pays them now, and later gets a lot more money from all the sales.

5- They really give a lot of responses to most players doubts about the devellopment fof their new game GW2. They even release articles to explain their choices to players. I repeat: ARTICLES EXPLAINNING WHY..... what game company does that?

6- They are looking to change a lot of thing in the mmorpg genre in order to finally and all those flaws that stayed in the genre since 10 years ago: grieving, grinding, Kill-stealing, Player-killing, accomplishments instead of fun, senseless quests ("go deliver X to npc Y" or "Kill 100 rats to get 100 bones", or worst like "go get 1 X item = killing same Y mob for 2 hours"), specified stats and skill builds for better tanker/healer/dps, lack of personal story and "indivual heroism", senseless combat, unchangeble environment...... and I could go on and on and on. All of these I said earlier are the things Arena.net are trying to get rid off.

While almost all other companies are like: this is the recipe to succeed, lets follow it and only change 1 or 2 things, solve only 1 of the 50 problems in the mmorpg genre and make it P2P, because our players want at least a good client support.......... AND because we want more money. Oh... don't forget the cash shop for fashionables and account services too. And the expansions that players have to buy to keep playing.

I think I could say more... but I wont, these are good enough reasons for me, and only IMO. But it makes sense doesn't it? lol

• CannyoneCannyone Member UncommonPosts: 267

Originally posted by Timukas

Just how is Bioware an MMO company? Did I miss something again?

Move Along!  These aren't the Driods you're looking for...  :P

• jezeraijezerai Member Posts: 7

And the game is

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

After reading these replies I guess anyone would have to vote Anet.

Nobody has played GW2  yet and already its being called the greatest game ever. It takes some very good marketing to get everyone so hyped over just a bunch of promises that we've all heard before. Especially since GW1 was such a boring game, following along the same path as everyong else, not being able to jump over the smallest rock. Credit has to be given to them for creating so many fanboys with so little.

• lucid4lifelucid4life Member Posts: 8

Vote went to Arenanet,they have been dissapointing as of late with giving out info but all around they sure went above and beyond the last year in most respects.

• japojapo Member Posts: 306

What??

No SOE??

WTF?

• talonsgrasptalonsgrasp Member Posts: 11

I'm a little upset there is still no release of GW2 in sight as I was hoping for at least alpha beta by end of this year.  From a look at their gameplay demo and from reading their development logs I am impressed enough and will continue patiently waiting for it to be released.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Hmm of all of those, only CCP as far as I know have actually done a virtual world, not just a theme park reproduction of a single player game that happens to be coop with other players.

Hmm.

I guess MMORPG put this game on their website for no reason at all, dumb really. What were they thinking? People can be so confused sometimes.This is an amazing argument, I've never been in one quite like it. I think I'll leave it now.

What a strange argument. Second life is listed on mmorpg, yet not only is it not an mmorpg, it's not even a game. It's a content framework (in which, among many many other things, people have created games). Calling it a game is like calling C/C++ a game because it's been used to make games.

• mechermecher Member Posts: 71

CCP for obvious reasons.

And everyone who votes for Blizzard needs to be killed for the betterment of humanity.

• huskerman34huskerman34 Member UncommonPosts: 252

It was Suare until i played Lotro and DDO . So my vote would be turbine. Runes of Magic ,Allods, and Everquest are good too.

Edgar F Greenwood

• signal2noisesignal2noise Member Posts: 17

I concur w/ mecher. On both counts.

• signal2noisesignal2noise Member Posts: 17

Oh...and wht the hell is Bioware nominated? SWOTOR isn't even released yet!

• XandryaXandrya Member Posts: 59

I voted for Trion Worlds because they have been very open and willing to discuss the development of Rift and End of Nations with their forum communities and fans as well as the gaming press sites. Even though they are fairly new on the scene, they are a strongly backed corporation both financially and technically.  The development team for Rift is made up of highly experienced developers who are themselves veteran gamers from across the spectrum of genres and platforms and they know what it is that their core playerbase wants.   I think the developers have a real love for the games they are developing and it shows in their enthusiasm and exctitement as they begin beta testing. Rift looks to be a real contender in the MMORPG arena and if the development team keeps its open communication with its fan base, they can expect to have some very dedicated and loyal followers, of which I will be one.

• ElsceneElscene Member Posts: 2

En Masse Entertainment

Small/professional/very caring

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Originally posted by travamars

After reading these replies I guess anyone would have to vote Anet.

Nobody has played GW2  yet and already its being called the greatest game ever. It takes some very good marketing to get everyone so hyped over just a bunch of promises that we've all heard before. Especially since GW1 was such a boring game, following along the same path as everyong else, not being able to jump over the smallest rock. Credit has to be given to them for creating so many fanboys with so little.

Now that's what  I'm talking about. image

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159

No vote from me.

Fallen Earth LLC should be on the list. Despite all the troubles, the company and crew is awesome.

imageThe last of the Trackers

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

I hate to say this and will regret it in the morning. But a lot of posts accross all the recent votes for GW2 are from people with one or two posts. And I can't stress how much I hate saying this but I am thinking either shill or alt accounts......yeah i'm going to hell I know.