Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Favorite MMO Company

Comments

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Originally posted by channel84

Anet hands down

-no down time or patch day

-1 main file for their game gw.dat

-innovative streaming and background updating system

-best balancing in the industry

-deliver on everything they promise for guild war 1

I agree! Arenanet is the best!

• MazikenMaziken Member Posts: 6

No Cryptic?  Boo.

• Tyraell91Tyraell91 Member Posts: 25

Blizzard FTW!!!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by Sertii

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Originally posted by Paragus1

I cry for anyone who votes for a company on this list that has their first MMO in development right now that nobody has played yet.   Regardless of who is the winner, it should be someone who has actually released an MMO that people can play today.

That counts anet out then

the reason guild wars 2 has a 2 behind it's name is because it's a sequel, wich implies there was a guild wars 1. Wich has been released for 5 years. And is one of the best mmo's there are among with EVE online and WoW. So, yeah...

Ah, but there's been  much debate whether GW1 is really an MMORPG.  ANET themselves called it a CORPG hence the jibe.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by Sertii

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Originally posted by Paragus1

I cry for anyone who votes for a company on this list that has their first MMO in development right now that nobody has played yet.   Regardless of who is the winner, it should be someone who has actually released an MMO that people can play today.

That counts anet out then

the reason guild wars 2 has a 2 behind it's name is because it's a sequel, wich implies there was a guild wars 1. Wich has been released for 5 years. And is one of the best mmo's there are among with EVE online and WoW. So, yeah...

Ah, but there's been  much debate whether GW1 is really an MMORPG.  ANET themselves called it a CORPG hence the jibe.

It's a valid point.  However, the fact that it's an RPG is undeniable, and the fact that I can interact with an almost limitless number of other players each day in an RP environment, pretty much seals it for me.  Also, the fact that I'm not forced to trip over troops of idiot champanzees slinging faeces at everything that moves, everytime I step out on a quest or mission is pure bonus.  How heroic can it be to stand in line with all the other wannabe saviours of the world to fight the uber-mega-killah boss? 

At least ANet has considered this in designing GW2 by pushing open-ended, cooperative play, so it won't be as onerous.

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

Talk about another vote that needed a "none of the above" category!

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

Ima Vote for TURBINE. Because I played LOTRO longer than any other MMO in my almost 15 years of experience. Bioware will be the next one, but I have to play the SWTOR in order to pick them as best :D.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Blizzard may be the biggest and most profitable, but my favorite is, hands down, ArenaNet. Even though GW2 isn't out yet, they've shown that they're now a full blown MMO company, plus the original GW (CORPG) shows their dedication to quality in a game and to their customer base as a whole.

No brainer, for me at least.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by Unlight

It's a valid point.  However, the fact that it's an RPG is undeniable, and the fact that I can interact with an almost limitless number of other players each day in an RP environment, pretty much seals it for me.  Also, the fact that I'm not forced to trip over troops of idiot champanzees slinging faeces at everything that moves, everytime I step out on a quest or mission is pure bonus.  How heroic can it be to stand in line with all the other wannabe saviours of the world to fight the uber-mega-killah boss? 

At least ANet has considered this in designing GW2 by pushing open-ended, cooperative play, so it won't be as onerous.

That's true and I'm starting to wonder if that really is a better way to bring some of these games.

I just don't think mmo's work for precisely what you mentioned; players being iditos and mucking up the game world, everyone standing around waitning for a boss so they can kill it only for it to respawn and someone else grab it. Talk about a "ride".

Furthermore, I'm starting to think that Lord of the Rings online (and yes... I'm going to say it) should have been like Guild wars in that players meet in some hub camps but the entire world is instanced to you and your party.

This way you aren't going into bree and seeing dwarves and elves all hanging out. You aren't going into Lothlorien and seeing dwarves and halflings and humans all hanging out.

It makes the world feel so fake. same with moria. Hate the way they did moria, it makes it feel like grand central station with some run down parts that just need more of a police presence.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BattlestormBattlestorm Member UncommonPosts: 136

Turbine, no contest.

It seems kind of odd that all the votes seem to be placed in favor of the GW developer. I'll give them credit for the game they've released (and for making it F2P after it has been purchased), but THE company of the year? No way, not in my opinion. I played the first GW1 campaign to level 20, took down Glint, etc. but never had the desire to go back and play the expansions. I just didn't like being unable to explore, jump or hop off the "rails" to do something that wasn't preordained to happen a very specific way.

Why Turbine? Well, AC1 is hands-down the most amazing game I've ever played in my life and I believe that it's received numerous updates this year alone. Graphics are too outdated as are the controls, but that game defines what the genre should be from the ground up . . . at least for me. Not to mention two other completely F2P games that, let's face it, are absolutely great games in their own respect and have received numerous major content upgrades as well. They're the "come back kid" of MMO companies and will have and keep my vote for a long time to come.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Arenanet easily. The only company who's devs have something interesting to say.

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

Originally posted by someforumguy

I think you are a bit over-exaggerating, don't you?

• BattlestormBattlestorm Member UncommonPosts: 136

Originally posted by tank017
    Why would anyone choose a company that doesnt even have an MMO out yet? why would they even be an option?

also Guild Wars 1 isnt even an MMO,I think Arenanet is getting more than half their votes from GW2's hype alone..

GW1 isn't even an MMO? Even if the company ITSELF said that their game was not an MMO you have to look at the facts . . .

1. Massive - LOTS of people play
    2. Multiplayer - DUH!
    3. Online - Just a little bit
    4. Role-Playing - If you'd like, sure
    5. Game - Sort of, like, from the ground up

So . . . wow (not the game, the expression).

• aithieelaithieel Member Posts: 232

ArenaNet, still playing GW and it's constantly updating.

Originally posted by Sfaliara

I didnt know you could exaggerate in exaggerating. Must be like saying water thats even wetter then usual. But yes, I have read plenty of blogs about upcoming games or changes in current games from gamedevs. And the only ones I found really interesting were from Arenanet devs. Rest mainly tries to sell rehashed mechanics as being innovative. More of the same same old.

They are also one of the few that actually try to explain why they chose for a certain system and why some things are not being implemented. And they dont do the typical promise that cant be delivered.

• Postal13Postal13 Member Posts: 94

Um, what about those guys who made FALLEN EARTH? I hear it's pretty good...

Cunfushus says "Only through wasting time do we realize that time should not be wasted."

I didnt know you could exaggerate in exaggerating. Must be like saying water thats even wetter then usual. But yes, I have read plenty of blogs about upcoming games or changes in current games from gamedevs. And the only ones I found really interesting were from Arenanet devs. Rest mainly tries to sell rehashed mechanics as being innovative. More of the same same old.

They are also one of the few that actually try to explain why they chose for a certain system and why some things are not being implemented. And they dont do the typical promise that cant be delivered.

I put it like that for emphasis, which means that, you were exaggerating on exaggeration. 10% of ArenaNet sayings have to do with the game and the rest are basically how they are trying to change the world which is usually accompanied by how they are more awesome-r than other companies. So yes, I voted for them but what you just said was one reason not to.

Originally posted by Postal13

Um, what about those guys who made FALLEN EARTH? I hear it's pretty good...

I think so too, but this is about companies. And the way that company decided to suddenly put in rmt after their original FAQ stated that they would never add that, shows that they are just the same as the others. A proud statement turned into a sell out. No matter what has been offered in that store so far, it shows to me that they dont back up their promises. And this was a very principal one to many players.

• LokomotivLokomotiv Member Posts: 106

Blizzard is ok Activision is disgusting. Anet is doing great but very slow paced, competitive markets demand faster responses. Perfect World seems to be getting a lot of free MMO titles and making a very good share of market, but still games are and really look like free games. Some companies don't have titles in the market it's just wrong to nominate them. Anyway i voted CCP because this year they did a very good job, and it shows.

PS: Nexon when do we see Vindictus in Europe?

I put it like that for emphasis, which means that, you were exaggerating on exaggeration. 10% of ArenaNet sayings have to do with the game and the rest are basically how they are trying to change the world which is usually accompanied by how they are more awesome-r than other companies. So yes, I voted for them but what you just said was one reason not to.

Im just voicing my opinion. Im not trying to convince you. I find it now very frustrating that I cant find a presentation of one of their devs on a developer gathering. I dont remember what convention it was and it was before the hype for GW2. But he talked about how MMO's were straying away from being a fun game into dull timesinks making players actually believe that they are a necessary component. And how it was not necessary. It was partly also about GW1. I bet some other GW player knows what article im talking about.

Anyway, when they started to release information about GW2, the more I read about it, the more it seemed as his thoughts manifest themself in GW2 development.

EDIT: About your explanation for 'over-exaggerating'. I think I already explained with my comment that I understood what you meant. Still think its like saying wetter water.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by Battlestorm

Why would anyone choose a company that doesnt even have an MMO out yet? why would they even be an option?

also Guild Wars 1 isnt even an MMO,I think Arenanet is getting more than half their votes from GW2's hype alone..

GW1 isn't even an MMO? Even if the company ITSELF said that their game was not an MMO you have to look at the facts . . .

2. Multiplayer - DUH!

Yet despite all of your great points, the game fails in one critical area which seems to common to games labeled MMORPG's.  Most of the game content occurs in small instances with only a few other players, even lobbies are small instances where players cannot all interact together at the same time.

But this is a topic that's been beaten to death a thousand times over, and I have no issue with their inclusion on this list.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

2. Multiplayer - DUH!

Yet despite all of your great points, the game fails in one critical area which seems to common to games labeled MMORPG's.  Most of the game content occurs in small instances with only a few other players, even lobbies are small instances where players cannot all interact together at the same time.

But this is a topic that's been beaten to death a thousand times over, and I have no issue with their inclusion on this list.

None of the listed companies are MMO's :p

• ronpackronpack Member Posts: 138

Shouldn't Cryptic and NCsoft be on this list? City of Heroes is awesome. Anyways, I voted CCP.

2. Multiplayer - DUH!

It's massively-multiplayer, one phrase, one meaning. Where GW lacks.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Originally posted by ronpack

Shouldn't Cryptic and NCsoft be on this list? City of Heroes is awesome. Anyways, I voted CCP.

Can't speak for everybody, But I get the impression most of the regulars on this site have very little love for Cryptic. Personaly I would like to staple them to the ceiling by there eye lids for what they did to the Star Trek I.P. Thats just my opinion though. Think there would be a lot of flamers coming out of the woodwork if Cryptic where up here......and yet Perfect world are an option but I supose they do have a very large playerbase with there games. Nexon though? As my gran always says...Wtf? Agree with you about NCsoft though. CoH/V is awsome.