Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Aion failure in 2010?

Comments

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by FearU

Originally posted by Lathander81

Originally posted by dreamscaper

Was Aion a failure? No..

Is Aion a failure in 2010? Yes.

Fantastic game at launch, terrific reviews, decent graphics, good storyline, many people were talking about Aion being the first real WoW killer (lol).

As time has progressed however the small cracks (twinks, grind, lack of story, lack of content) started to appear and the problems only continued to get worse with the visions trailer, community lip service and complete lack of leadership and poor management of the game and community by the hands of NCSoft and co.  The server transfer debacle was horrific for the game and is still being felt today, ever since the game has never been (and may never again be) the same.

I don't know where people get their sub numbers from (afaik NCSoft don't release them) but the last time I was on during prime time on my server there were 20 clerics (main healing class) from all levels. Good luck running an instance (Aion instances are not aoe and pray like WoW) with that..

Today I received some spam from NCSoft that Aion will soon be running a reactivation for both L2 and Aion soon. Might log on again and say hi to anyone I know who is still left playing and hasn't either quit already or sold their accounts.

NCSoft's quarterly financial reports are public, so you can extrapolate the number of subs from those reports.

Also, there's probably not a more reliable way of counting people using the search tool. The vast majority of people /anonymous to avoid the occassional gold spam tell. This is doubly true for clerics, since it's rather annoying to get 10+ tells asking me to heal DP/Dredge/Tlabs/etc when I'm already in a group.

Given the sheer number of people I have to wade through in Sanctum, Ingg, and Verteron, your post is simply wrong. :p

I agree there are plenty of people playing and Aion is one most successful p2p MMO since WOW period. This is fact. So how is that a failure? If a game has to close up shop thats a fail. So the answer to the thread is no.

Quarterly report financial figures != real world game numbers.  Spend 5 minutes looking at some of the "how is this server going?" threads on the official forums and some recent comments look like (stripping out all the "you mad bah? comments..)

"Nez is pretty dead on the Elyos side for 50+."

"Most of the day there will be between 20-50 people in Inggison, so pretty much forget about getting a decent group to run anything unless you want to wait 3hrs. Evenings it picks up but still not amazing numbers. If all you want to do is FT, you're in luck as most of the pop sits on their alts and does runs non-stop."

"This server's stagnating for want of action. One half of the Abyss is zerged by our side, while they refuse to touch the other side. Please, I beg you... come here and relieve us of our boredom, maybe an inner fort or two. Wreak havoc for all our sakes"

"pvp is pretty hard to come by here now. I can't even finish my daily sometimes. this game is just dying, all the elyos that xfer'd here from other servers have quit/sold their chars in anticipation of tera."

I guess though if you are on the dominant side for your server (it varies but usually one side is completely dominating the other) not at end game 50+ and just like being a pve carebear then there is plenty of pointless grinding to be had for you. Enjoy that!

Thanks for that copy paste...but once again this doesn't prove Aion failed in anyway. Even WOW started grouping across servers due to what people though was dead servers.  Trying to prove points like this with server forums is very foolish. If you look hard enough you will think every game is trash.  Here is a person crying about the almighty WOW the game that gives you everything.  http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=27744665278&sid=1 

Clearly people will QQ if they are given the best MMO in history.

• fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288

Originally posted by dreamscaper

Was Aion a failure? No..

Fantastic game at launch, terrific reviews, decent graphics, good storyline, many people were talking about Aion being the first real WoW killer (lol).

As time has progressed however the small cracks (twinks, grind, lack of story, lack of content) started to appear and the problems only continued to get worse with the visions trailer, community lip service and complete lack of leadership and poor management of the game and community by the hands of NCSoft and co.  The server transfer debacle was horrific for the game and is still being felt today, ever since the game has never been (and may never again be) the same.

I don't know where people get their sub numbers from (afaik NCSoft don't release them) but the last time I was on during prime time on my server there were 20 clerics (main healing class) from all levels. Good luck running an instance (Aion instances are not aoe and pray like WoW) with that..

Today I received some spam from NCSoft that Aion will soon be running a reactivation for both L2 and Aion soon. Might log on again and say hi to anyone I know who is still left playing and hasn't either quit already or sold their accounts.

NCSoft's quarterly financial reports are public, so you can extrapolate the number of subs from those reports.

Also, there's probably not a more reliable way of counting people using the search tool. The vast majority of people /anonymous to avoid the occassional gold spam tell. This is doubly true for clerics, since it's rather annoying to get 10+ tells asking me to heal DP/Dredge/Tlabs/etc when I'm already in a group.

Given the sheer number of people I have to wade through in Sanctum, Ingg, and Verteron, your post is simply wrong. :p

I agree there are plenty of people playing and Aion is one most successful p2p MMO since WOW period. This is fact. So how is that a failure? If a game has to close up shop thats a fail. So the answer to the thread is no.

Quarterly report financial figures != real world game numbers.  Spend 5 minutes looking at some of the "how is this server going?" threads on the official forums and some recent comments look like (stripping out all the "you mad bah? comments..)

"Nez is pretty dead on the Elyos side for 50+."

"Most of the day there will be between 20-50 people in Inggison, so pretty much forget about getting a decent group to run anything unless you want to wait 3hrs. Evenings it picks up but still not amazing numbers. If all you want to do is FT, you're in luck as most of the pop sits on their alts and does runs non-stop."

"This server's stagnating for want of action. One half of the Abyss is zerged by our side, while they refuse to touch the other side. Please, I beg you... come here and relieve us of our boredom, maybe an inner fort or two. Wreak havoc for all our sakes"

"pvp is pretty hard to come by here now. I can't even finish my daily sometimes. this game is just dying, all the elyos that xfer'd here from other servers have quit/sold their chars in anticipation of tera."

I guess though if you are on the dominant side for your server (it varies but usually one side is completely dominating the other) not at end game 50+ and just like being a pve carebear then there is plenty of pointless grinding to be had for you. Enjoy that!

Thanks for that copy paste...but once again this doesn't prove Aion failed in anyway. Even WOW started grouping across servers due to what people though was dead servers.  Trying to prove points like this with server forums is very foolish. If you look hard enough you will think every game is trash.  Here is a person crying about the almighty WOW the game that gives you everything.  http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=27744665278&sid=1 

Clearly people will QQ if they are given the best MMO in history.

Given my sub just ran out I can't go and take screenshots of the dead servers so forum examples will have to do :)

Bring on the flood of new MMOs in 2011 to bury Aion's corpse once and for all!

• gauge2k3gauge2k3 Member Posts: 442

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by Shatter30

Failure compared to WOW...yes.  Failure compared to AOC, WAR, VG, EQ2, STO, CO, FFXIV etc etc....no.  Guess it depends on what you consider a failure but Aion today has more subs in NA then the above games I mentioned. 

You're basically saying Aion is the best of the worst.

Im not going to say Aion is a failure but it has been in decline.

The past 2 quarters Aion has been steady at around $53 million a quarter which is good but the previous 2 quarters saw between $61 million to $77 million.

And if you do want to compare Aion to WoW, WoW by itself made $289 million for 3rd quarter 2010 which is more than double what NCSoft as a whole made.

And you're saying everything but wow is the worst.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

Originally posted by gauge2k3

Does everyone on the Aion board read into things that arent there? Is this board THAT defensive?

Why compare the success of Aion to MMOs that struggle to retain 100,000(AoC, Warhammer) or even 10,000 subscribers(VG, CO)? Compare Aion to other successful MMOs like LotRO, Eve or Lineage 2 instead of the biggest failures of recent years.

The old saying is true: "people see what they want to see".

• gauge2k3gauge2k3 Member Posts: 442

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by gauge2k3

Does everyone on the Aion board read into things that arent there? Is this board THAT defensive?

Why compare the success of Aion to MMOs that struggle to retain 100,000(AoC, Warhammer) or even 10,000 subscribers(VG, CO)? Compare Aion to other successful MMOs like LotRO, Eve or Lineage 2 instead of the biggest failures of recent years.

The old saying is true: "people see what they want to see".

I don't play aion currently.

Simple logics apply here.  One person said comapred to WoW yes, it failed.  But compaired to anything else it didn't.  Then the other said, you're saying it's the best of the worst.  This implies that everything but WoW is the worst.  It is simple propositional logic and is completely unbiased.

Originally posted by Sukiyaki

As long as Aion continues to generate, just in the West, a stable 80% of EvEs revenues (simple to derive from last three official finanical reports, if you are capable of elementary school math and unbiased enough not the act ignorant over it) that boast with +350 subscriber, just like they continously did the last 3/4 of the year,

quoting some nitpicked lines from forums used also by ragequitter and their alts, taking out some popularity survey results out of context, pretending you where/are a player that totally can see how dead the server are supposed to be etc...

wont change anything on reality. Millions of Dollars arent generated by thin so called "desillusional fanboy gibberish and denial" each month.

So you are saying that Aion can't even compete against niche MMOs like EvE? Nice come back! ;)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

As long as Aion continues to generate, just in the West, a stable 80% of EvEs revenues (simple to derive from last three official finanical reports, if you are capable of elementary school math and unbiased enough not the act ignorant over it) that boast with +350 subscriber, just like they continously did the last 3/4 of the year,

quoting some nitpicked lines from forums used also by ragequitter and their alts, taking out some popularity survey results out of context, pretending you where/are a player that totally can see how dead the server are supposed to be etc...

wont change anything on reality. Millions of Dollars arent generated by thin so called "desillusional fanboy gibberish and denial" each month.

So you are saying that Aion can't even compete against niche MMOs like EvE? Nice come back! ;)

why compare aion with eve? comparing those games is like comparing heaven with earth.. so different

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

Aion is still young and it continues to improve itself with future updates. The developers have a vision of where they like it to go and it will do good for years to come.

So you are dismissing and evading any evidence of Aion NOT being a so called "failure" contradicting wild unproven claims, by just calling another similar popular AND majorly successfull game "niche", in desperate attempt to make either atleast sound unpopular, where figures point out otherwise? Nice comeback.

Evidence? Figures? Where?

80% of EvE revenue for a non-niche subject matter MMO trying to compare to WoW is not good no matter how you try to spin it. 2011 will continue to bring on further server merges for Aion and I predict its eventual closure. NCSoft don't care about Aion in the west (look at their response to the Abyssal Splinter bug - lol), so why do you?
  • SircaSirca Member UncommonPosts: 110

Originally posted by DevilXaphan

Aion is still young and it continues to improve itself with future updates. The developers have a vision of where they like it to go and it will do good for years to come.

Provided cash is flowing. For the time being updates seem to be more in line with asian players expectations (=more grinding) but I believe Aion will follow AoC steps.

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

I played AION from beta..Purchased a 3-month sub along with the special package. Thilled at first month.Quit on the second month. Reasons?

1)Low XP     PARTIALLY SOLVED

2)High death Xp penalty    PARTIALLY SOLVED

3) Lore was too "superficial"  There was no actual depth. And nor were the story lines of the quests so as to justify the hate between the 2 factions, Elyos & Asmodians. Result was when new players met their enemies they were wondering ''Shall i attack or say Hello-oh their names are red..lets attack"    NOT SOLVED

4)All quests were of the grinding type.       NOT SOLVED

5)The players are given way to many attacking skills from really early in game(with no apparent reason).At level 20 i had over 10 attacking skills(with combos) and i think as many as those were yet to come. Didn't like that because i never had time to "learn" my first and basic skill combinations thus making learning curve complicated and hard.   EVEN WORSE NOW

6)The most ultimate boring crafting procedure ever created in a MMO.Nothing else needed to be said.  NOT SOLVED

7)To many different types of resources dropping from early levels(with no information about their usage on their tab). This resulted to inventory (bank as well) problems really early in game

(felt like a FTP game where you had to buy more space)  NOT SOLVED

MAIN REASONS

8) GOLD FU...IN SELLERS. Everything in the game was about money. Everyone needed so much in-game money TO PROGRESS AT ANYTHING! Hey wait a minute...then why are we paying 15 euros per month if playing 4 hours a day is not enough to make adequate in game money? Launch days were a joke.Hundreds of Gold sellers spamming all chats and crowding up all hubs. NCSoft how can we ever forgive you about that?   PARTIALLY SOLVED

9) Bots, Bots there ,Bots here Bots everywhere!  PARTIALLY SOLVED

10)Stupid Avatar speaking while casting spells!(cool at first 100 casts but after that..omg.What a ball breaking sound NOT SOLVED

** Returned 2 days ago to check if something has changed for the better. My results are the coloured comments next to numbered reasons.No 8 and 9 should have been resolved..this is a PTP game dammit!

VERDICT: Stay away as far as you can.Uninstalled it in 5 minutes.I haven't uninstalled a game in which i returned for at least 2-3 days.This tells me a lot.

• DaitenguDaitengu Member Posts: 442

Originally posted by pupurun

I played AION from beta..Purchased a 3-month sub along with the special package. Thilled at first month.Quit on the second month. Reasons?

3) Lore was too "superficial"  There was no actual depth. And nor were the story lines of the quests so as to justify the hate between the 2 factions, Elyos & Asmodians. Result was when new players met their enemies they were wondering ''Shall i attack or say Hello-oh their names are red..lets attack"    NOT SOLVED

5)The players are given way to many attacking skills from really early in game(with no apparent reason).At level 20 i had over 10 attacking skills(with combos) and i think as many as those were yet to come. Didn't like that because i never had time to "learn" my first and basic skill combinations thus making learning curve complicated and hard.   EVEN WORSE NOW

6)The most ultimate boring crafting procedure ever created in a MMO.Nothing else needed to be said.  NOT SOLVED

7)To many different types of resources dropping from early levels(with no information about their usage on their tab). This resulted to inventory (bank as well) problems really early in game

MAIN REASONS

8) GOLD FU...IN SELLERS. Everything in the game was about money. Everyone needed so much in-game money TO PROGRESS AT ANYTHING! Hey wait a minute...then why are we paying 15 euros per month if playing 4 hours a day is not enough to make adequate in game money? Launch days were a joke.Hundreds of Gold sellers spamming all chats and crowding up all hubs. NCSoft how can we ever forgive you about that?   PARTIALLY SOLVED

10)Stupid Avatar speaking while casting spells!(cool at first 100 casts but after that..omg.What a ball breaking sound NOT SOLVED

** Returned 2 days ago to check if something has changed for the better. My results are the coloured comments next to numbered reasons.No 8 and 9 should have been resolved..this is a PTP game dammit!

VERDICT: Stay away as far as you can.Uninstalled it in 5 minutes.I haven't uninstalled a game in which i returned for at least 2-3 days.This tells me a lot.

1 and 2 are fine to me. But that's always an opinion based thing.  Even having not played it for 6 years, I still have a Everquest mindset when it comes to exp and death. so I thought the original rates were fine, now I feel it's trivial. Took me 2 years to level up to the cap in EQ back in the day lol.

3 tends to be the problem of any MMO that tries to steer RPG with a heavy handed main story. I think this is because laymen folks are expecting a console style RPG aspect to MMORPG. when in fact RPG is player based. If people are RPing in game, I can consider an MMORPG a success. WoW, EQ, and CoH had their share of RPers.  Aion doesn't. So for a different but I still agree, RPG is lame. Mainly due to convoluted lore and atmospere of the game not lending itself to RPers.

4. Grindy quests are pretty standard kill x, obtain x amount of y has been around since Ultima Online. It was lame then, and it's still lame now. All repeatable quest are definately grind quests. While it's a mixed bag or none repeatable. The obscene grind comes from doing repeatable quests for coins to use said coins for gear. When it takes you 30 minutes to get 2 to 4 coins, and you need 1250 for one armor piece out of 5 then over 2500 for a weapon, you want to rage quit immediately.

5. Depends totally on the class you are playing. at 36 my ranger has a whopping 3 attack buttons and 3 CC buttons to push.  My 35 Cleric has 3 attack, 5 heals, and 4 buffs. My 44 Glad has 7 actual attack buttons, but I only really use 4 on average.

6. is true. It's the opposite extreme of WoW rofl fail EZ crafting.  It takes about 2 to 12 hours to farm the mats for 1 item. Depending on if you just buy the mats form other players or not.  Most of the time you have to proc to get a better item, which you use to make another item. Which you then have to proc so that you can make an expert version. Of which you want to proc the expert version for armor that is generally better than the stuff you can loot from mobs. With proc rates that can be as low a 2% you can spend tens of millions and still not get the procced item you need just to learn expert. I blew through 10 mill on my gladiator trying to get my expert.  Many alchemists have burned over 80 million and not gotten their proc yet.

7. I thought it was pretty obvious what the resources that dropped were for. When it says "minor weapon flux' duh, it for making weapons. Now the variety of different fluxes on the other hand is just down right annoying.  When you can devote over 30 out of your total 70 bank slots for just fluxes, not even the actual mats to make an item like metals, gems, wood, leather, etc, there's a big problem.

8 and 9 will never be complretely solved for aion, or any other MMO with currency that doesn't offer RMT. WoW still has a problem with it. Conan, lineage 2 and D&D had issues with it when I played those too. I just think it's the nature of the greed beast.

Originally posted by Sirca

Originally posted by DevilXaphan

Provided cash is flowing. For the time being updates seem to be more in line with asian players expectations (=more grinding) but I believe Aion will follow AoC steps.

So when is the last time you logged in? Could what you said is completely wrong. The game is more in line with the westernation that is should have been with. Even AOC got better before going FTP.

• SaorlanSaorlan Member Posts: 289

I am hoping that Aion falls flat on its face. No I am not trolling or being nasty I want developers to stop making these endless EQ clones with the auto attack, endless questing and done to death game play. 

Aion just stuck some wings onto a very very tired old formula.

So I want this game to fail by this months end. Then perhaps we can get the big companies to follow the lead of the indi companies and make new and innovative games that actual take the MMO genre further but have the money and programming expertise to make these new style of game work. Imagine if Mortal Online had the be developed with as much programming know how and money as WOW? It would be awesome. 

So please please please fail Aion !

(If you agree with my sentiments then you might like to join like minded fellows at The Sangha - click my sig to join up)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

MAIN REASONS

I have to agree with Daitengu, some of that is just subjective.

1 and 2 were miniscule at launch. High death penatly xp? Perhaps you were talking about the cost of soul healing which wasn't a big deal. And if it was by a player it was "1" kinah. I reached lvl 32 the second day with hardcore playing. That's more than halfway to cap. if players were used to older school mmo's I don't think they would balk at the leveling curve.

3 I might give you as I thought it was a bit shallow as well but it did set the background. However, with the exceptioin of lord of the rings, I don't really know of any game that has such an amazing back story.

4, A lot of games have this. Of course, I was weaned on Lineage 2 which meant no quests and all grinding. image But still, there could have been a greater variety of quests. Oh, there were some different quests but a lot of kill x quests. As I said I was weaned on Lineage 2 so nothing phased me.

5 I sort of liked a good amount of my skills. However, the easy way to learn them is go find some mobs and "learn them".

6 I don't craft because it's all boring so no opinion.

7 I'll agree with you about the resources

8 all popular games have gold sellers but they should have known and they shuold have made the efforts they are doing now at launch. That was hubris on their part.

9, I didn't see all that many "bots" and farmers but I know there were a few. Then again see 8.

10. I'll give you 10 as I didn't like the "western" voices and had installed an eastern voice pack. If you are saying "talking during casting" in general then that is subjective I suppose.

Otherwise your list doesn't really resonate with me as only three of your points I 'sort of" can see.. May I ask game you played before Aion? Was it WoW or CoX?

I liked Aion but from what I was following from Day 1 the released Aion was a different project. I thought the world was going to be more interesting and open, there was climbing and each server was supposed to be different based on the decisions and actions of the players.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

Originally posted by Sovrath

MAIN REASONS

I have to agree with Daitengu, some of that is just subjective.

1 and 2 were miniscule at launch. High death penatly xp? Perhaps you were talking about the cost of soul healing which wasn't a big deal. And if it was by a player it was "1" kinah. I reached lvl 32 the second day with hardcore playing. That's more than halfway to cap. if players were used to older school mmo's I don't think they would balk at the leveling curve.

3 I might give you as I thought it was a bit shallow as well but it did set the background. However, with the exceptioin of lord of the rings, I don't really know of any game that has such an amazing back story.

4, A lot of games have this. Of course, I was weaned on Lineage 2 which meant no quests and all grinding. image But still, there could have been a greater variety of quests. Oh, there were some different quests but a lot of kill x quests. As I said I was weaned on Lineage 2 so nothing phased me.

5 I sort of liked a good amount of my skills. However, the easy way to learn them is go find some mobs and "learn them".

6 I don't craft because it's all boring so no opinion.

7 I'll agree with you about the resources

8 all popular games have gold sellers but they should have known and they shuold have made the efforts they are doing now at launch. That was hubris on their part.

9, I didn't see all that many "bots" and farmers but I know there were a few. Then again see 8.

10. I'll give you 10 as I didn't like the "western" voices and had installed an eastern voice pack. If you are saying "talking during casting" in general then that is subjective I suppose.

Otherwise your list doesn't really resonate with me as only three of your points I 'sort of" can see.. May I ask game you played before Aion? Was it WoW or CoX?

I liked Aion but from what I was following from Day 1 the released Aion was a different project. I thought the world was going to be more interesting and open, there was climbing and each server was supposed to be different based on the decisions and actions of the players.

I have played(almost half of these games before AION):

1)2 moons (3 months)

2)Fluyff (2 months)

3)Guild Wars(4 months)

4)Age of Conan(since launch- 2,5 years)

5)AION (2 months-see above)

6)Allods (2 months)

7)Istaria:Chronicles (1 month)

8)LOTRO (3 months)

9)Ryzom (2 months)

10)Alganon (20 days)  (*Plz don't laugh!)

11)Runes of Magic (2 months)

12)Aika (1 month)

13)Global Agenda( 1,5 month)

14)Everquest X (less than 20 days)

15)Darkfall (2 months)

16)Jade dynasty (2 months)

and trials for Everquest, Everquest 2, Pirates of the Burning seas(two times), Tale in the Desert,Asheron's Call, DaoC (two times),Champions Online,Craft of Gods(awful piece of crap), EVE online, Face of Mankind,Fallen Earth

and also tried for a few days these Free to Play Online games: Pirate Tales, Cabal,9 Dragons, Requiem,Dreamland Online, Fantasy Earth Zero(4 hours), Fiesta Online(2 hours),King Of Kings 3,Florensia (10 minutes) and almost everything that has a trial....

Now as fas as WOW in concerned : i played the 14 day trial for three times.I hate everything about the game besides one thing which seems to actually count as a mmo. IT'S FREEKING POLISHED,almost un-bugged.

QUESTION: WTF is CoX?

ADVISE: If anyone wants to play an AION-clone without subscription try Martial Empires. There is one difference though . It seems a much better game at launch than AION ever was

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

aion its one of the worst sub mmo's i played

i played aion 5months+3months(patch 1.9)+1 month (pacth2.0)

3 reasons:

1º Gear>skill, i can tell skill only gives you 10% to win in pvp , RNG=10% and GEAR=80%

2º RNG random number generator in everything -  only bad F2P games have it

3º grind everywhere - quests, gear, craft, and so on (i can tell bad design on instances too)

although i found aion community better than wow community(not difficult anyway), and the game have a polished interface and movement freedom feeling (flying and gliding).

i learned 1 thing about aion experience, i will never play a game with such RNG and gear dependent again!

Originally posted by Saorlan

I am hoping that Aion falls flat on its face. No I am not trolling or being nasty I want developers to stop making these endless EQ clones with the auto attack, endless questing and done to death game play. 

Aion just stuck some wings onto a very very tired old formula.

So I want this game to fail by this months end. Then perhaps we can get the big companies to follow the lead of the indi companies and make new and innovative games that actual take the MMO genre further but have the money and programming expertise to make these new style of game work. Imagine if Mortal Online had the be developed with as much programming know how and money as WOW? It would be awesome. 

So please please please fail Aion !

(If you agree with my sentiments then you might like to join like minded fellows at The Sangha - click my sig to join up)

what your saying makes no sense. Aion failing will not change how games are made.   Innovations are made by trial and error. Most people will stick with what works and taking a risk effects a lot of people. Until you know what it involves to make a game then you shouldn't prey for people to lose their jobs cause your unhappy about a game.

Originally posted by pedrostrik

3 reasons:

1º Gear>skill, i can tell skill only gives you 10% to win in pvp , RNG=10% and GEAR=80%

3º grind everywhere - quests, gear, craft, and so on (i can tell bad design on instances too)

although i found aion community better than wow community(not difficult anyway), and the game have a polished interface and movement freedom feeling (flying and gliding).

i learned 1 thing about aion experience, i will never play a game with such RNG and gear dependent again!

So gear has always = skill, rng is in every MMO what do you think a crit is? Finally, what is every MMO's endgame? A geargrind.

All the things you mentioned happens in mostly all MMOs. I don't know why everyone is on the RNG banwagon when gear is the real issue. But you have to have something to play for...a reward. RNG and gear will be in every successful MMO just look at WOW.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

Originally posted by pedrostrik

3 reasons:

So gear has always = skill, rng is in every MMO what do you think a crit is? Finally, what is every MMO's endgame? A geargrind.

All the things you mentioned happens in mostly all MMOs. I don't know why everyone is on the RNG banwagon when gear is the real issue. But you have to have something to play for...a reward. RNG and gear will be in every successful MMO just look at WOW.

first of all i playes 2 years wow, before wotlk and i really dont like the game i can tell i prefer aion than wow, but i mean , and my english its bad:

when gear gives you 90%chance to win versus skill player forget it i dont play it , the only online mmo i play its still after 5 years guild wars where your skill really maters, and the aion RNG its brutal and the ideia about that its POKER coming to my mind, its a lucky game mechanic and mmo's cannot be as that in my opinion cause its not fun and i play for fun not as second job.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Given my limited knowledge, it would seem to me that Aion is simply affected by a number of bad design decisions that I'm not sure a patch can fix.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

QUESTION: WTF is CoX?

CoX refers to City of Heroes/City of Villians

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Eldonan85Eldonan85 Member Posts: 32

I would love to meet the IDIOT who started this post. EVERY MMO has things to BITCH ABOUT. Plain and simple. MMO's have the hard as hell task of making MANY different KINDS OF PEOPLE satisfied with it's content.

IMO Aion is very good at doing it all for everyone that plays, in one way or another. I happen to love Aion for everything it is. I have tried WoW, wasn't my thing, I came from City of Heroes... now there is another GREAT mmo.

There is so much more I want to say but you can probably gather that I am pissed as hell to see someone even start such a silly topic. THERE is no way in hell Aion is going to fail in 2010 or 2011 and so on. So many people log into it everyday I sometimes actually have a half a second lag once or twice A MONTH.

So I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANYMORE ABOUT THIS... this is the last post. MOVE ALONG

YAY

Thanks

Chris *hugs*

• fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409

the fella above must be having ones of those days. but failure of 2010 is APB opened up shop and shut down as fast as the shop opened. and last time i checked AION is alive and kicking with a small yet decent playerbase. So aion couldnt fall in this catagorey.

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Was Aion a failure? No..

Exactly how i felt about AION.. I REALLY REALLY beleive NC Soft showed the vision trailer WAY to easy and then failed to release even a small bit of content within the first 7-8months.. The game was lacking during end-game.. YOu had dredgion (which pops up several hours inbetween goodluck makeing the 12pm or 12am run if you got a job/school) and Dark Poeta. The one thing that i loved about AION was it's fort raids.. At launch we'd get several hundreds of players going at it and zerging for forts.. And since i was a the fort raid director in my legion (SoV which was #2 elyos on Fregion) it was always good times..

Love and hate relationship i guess... I miss the mass population at launch, all the friends i met and stuck playing the game with for several months, joining my legion when it was #11 best on the Elyos side and then helping it raise to #2, Ganking in the abyss when you're 10x lvls higher then everyone else (and a cleric.) But i hated HATED HAAAAAATEEEEEDD the grind for miragents.. That right there killed it for me.. After 6 fails on the legging i swore off anymore NC Soft games and AION for good..

Things might change with Blade & Soul though :P

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta