Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Favorite MMO Company

Comments

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

This community does my head in sometimes. For the long years I lurked here even before I registerd up until a few months ago everybody was arguing that Guild wars was not even an mmo.....now ArenaNet are the best thing since sliced bread for a game that's not even out yet? Don't get me wrong, very much looking forward to GW2 as I am Tor. But not voting for companies who's flagship games are still unproven...inovations or no. We don't know how good these games are going to be until we play them and thats a fact. Still remember how much of this crap went on before the release of War, Aion and Darkfall. GW1 is about as entertaining to me as getting my testicles cut off with a rusty spoon. ArenaNet don't get my vote and whoever said that there customer service is good odviously lives in reverse world. BioWare don't get it for an unreleased game even if they are my faveoritedevs. Turbine have sold out, Perfect World are a gold farming joke, Funcom make AoC and am ignoring the fact that they are even on here on general principle. Has to be between Blizz and CCP for me. Hopefully this time next year that will be diferent.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Why would anyone choose a company that doesnt even have an MMO out yet? why would they even be an option?

also Guild Wars 1 isnt even an MMO,I think Arenanet is getting more than half their votes from GW2's hype alone..

• ClovenatorClovenator Member Posts: 10

Bioware, if I have to choose from the choices.

Riot Games deserves a spot on the list, however. Extrememly disappointed to not seem them even mentioned.

Quite a few shouldn't even be on the list. Haven't released anything new lately or just haven't released an MMO at all. But since we're choosing companies only, then Bioware. The most innovative of the choices. 

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

CCP all the way.  EvE is from gamers for gamers not for the damn suits like WoW, Warhammer, Tor you name it.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• Reno211Reno211 Member Posts: 2

ArenaNet!!!!! They are working hard on their game. We all know that cause they still don't have a release date! Big ups to them for trying to do something that CHANGES THE TRENDS! i don't know of any company that holds a release date for so long... thats because they want the best for their customers. and ArenaNet still doesn't want to charge monthly fees!

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Foomerang

Going strictly by game company, bioware and blizzard put the rest to shame. Most others on that list have only made one or two games. Granted that one game may be good, but it doesnt compare to over a decade of aaa tiltes year after year. Anet has to prove themselves with more than just one title to even be mentioned in the same sentence as blizz or bio.

We are voting for our FAVORITE company not the ones that made the most games.  Those two things are indeed mutually exclusive.  They may or may NOT be the same.  I wouldn't care if Blizzard had made 500 games....they'd never win my vote for "favorite," period.  Bioware, on the other hand, would be my second place, but not based on how many games they made.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

Ok i am going to be fair , i cannot vote for bioware cause there MMO is not yet out .

Only one on the list if all fairness deserve to win is Blizzard .

With 6 years they still going strong (and honestly i hate them , doesn´t mean i cannot be fair)

Sorry favorite mmo company in my honest opnion , is the most succesfull.

(thats my opnion , you people can take your own reasons) so blizzard sadly it is .

But i am not condeming people for there reason , dont forget its the Favorite company according to your own measurement .

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by just1opinion

Originally posted by Foomerang
    Going strictly by game company, bioware and blizzard put the rest to shame. Most others on that list have only made one or two games. Granted that one game may be good, but it doesnt compare to over a decade of aaa tiltes year after year. Anet has to prove themselves with more than just one title to even be mentioned in the same sentence as blizz or bio.

We are voting for our FAVORITE company not the ones that made the most games.  Those two things are indeed mutually exclusive.  They may or may NOT be the same.  I wouldn't care if Blizzard had made 500 games....they'd never win my vote for "favorite," period.  Bioware, on the other hand, would be my second place, but not based on how many games they made.

ok then my favorite company out of that list is the one that made the most good games. anet has 1. ccp has 1. blizz has 3 (imo). bioware has 6 (again imo). If anet made 6 more games with the same quality as guild wars, then id prob vote for them. All that other bs like manifestos and by gamers for gamers is just talk. Of course you can love anet for their great speeches about gw2, thats your vote and i can appreciate a good marketing campaign as well as the next person. But thats just1opinion, same with mine. deal.
  • BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302

Originally posted by Sfaliara

Originally posted by Zeroxin

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Originally posted by Paragus1

I cry for anyone who votes for a company on this list that has their first MMO in development right now that nobody has played yet.   Regardless of who is the winner, it should be someone who has actually released an MMO that people can play today.

That counts anet out then

I do wonder what Guild Wars 1 is....

MMO it is not, said by ArenaNet themselves, care to disagree?

Your string of posts is called "baiting" btw.

Voted for CCP.  I'm also surprised Sony didn't make the list.  Not that I'd vote for them but still surprised.

• TorvacTorvac Member UncommonPosts: 135

funcon lol

nexon omg, recently took them 2 months to reply to a ticket (wanted them to delete my account)

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

Stop complaining about how some companies don't have a game yet....

Why do adoption agencies turn some couples away while accepting some? Because they are better suited to raise kids. Just because they don't have children yet, doesn't mean they are going to be bad parents. Or course it is risky and full of opinion, but that's kind of the whole point.... it's called voting.

Actually, people who are looking for children to adopt are generally better at raising children (since they feel obligated and REALLY want children.)

So, yes, it makes perfect sense that some companies are on here even though they have not released a game. 

• HekketHekket Member Posts: 905

I'll go with ArenaNet. They dare to be different, and they're very good at it.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by BlahTeeb
    Stop complaining about how some companies don't have a game yet....

Why do adoption agencies turn some couples away while accepting some? Because they are better suited to raise kids. Just because they don't have children yet, doesn't mean they are going to be bad parents. Or course it is risky and full of opinion, but that's kind of the whole point.... it's called voting.
    Actually, people who are looking for children to adopt are generally better at raising children (since they feel obligated and REALLY want children.)
    So, yes, it makes perfect sense that some companies are on here even though they have not released a game. 

LoL
  • NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

CCP wins my vote, however Arena-net and Turbine are a close second.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• Ngeldu5tNgeldu5t Member UncommonPosts: 608

Without hesitation,I vote for ArenaNet for their dedication and innovation foir thinking out of the box.

Trion Worlds and EnMasse have proved nothing untill now so why are they in the list?

In the land of Predators,the lion does not fear the jackals...

• ReliiqueReliique Member Posts: 53

Top 3 for me

ArenaNet

CCP

Blizzard

• SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399

Blizzard > Turbine 

but  Activision Blizzard <Turbine.

You can guess how I voted. 

I play WoW and Lotro sooooo, ya. 

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I voted Arena Net as they seem to be the only company that is atleast trying to introduce new, innovative features and not only to maximize profits.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Used to be ONLY SOE,then i found Square Enix and they became my fave,but they have got lazy so now i don't like any of the MMO devs,they all need to step it up a notch.Well i shouldn't say i don't like any,i just wouldn't go around praising any of them .

I say bring back Sierra/Westwood/Sir TECH/Interplay/Ensemble/New World Computing.I would even like to see KOEI make an atempt at a RPG,but they are not so big ,so they would need some financial help and a game engine.

I really approve of the guys  that made Rings of power [sega],Crash Bandicoot,Unchartered ect ect,ya the Naughty Dog production guys,that SOE hired to work for them.SOE should get these guys to make a MMORPG for Sony.

As is my fave developers are all fps guys...Epic GT interactive [Unreal series]/ID [quake]/Valve [Half Life].I will admit i also liked Infinity ward and the COD series,but since they don't care about the state of the game/cheating/hacking,i don't care about them and won't buy anymore of their products.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

Anet hands down

-no down time or patch day

-1 main file for their game gw.dat

-innovative streaming and background updating system

-best balancing in the industry

-deliver on everything they promise for guild war 1

• Tera and En Masse for me. :)

• haratuharatu Member UncommonPosts: 409

I voted for a company that makes a game i no longer play... why? Because out of all the companies this year the company I chose shows a good dedication to their customers and makes an effort to give them what they want, even when they dont have to.

This is not about the game, this is about a company who cares enough about me to give a damn.

• dirk45dirk45 Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Turbine without a doubt.

It revolutionised Subscription model. MMOs will never be the same again

That's exactly my reason too. While ANet did excellent work with GW this is a 2010 award. And 2010 they released nothing but interviews and pics of GW2 (which seems to be really great, I'll definitely give it a try).

But turning a triple A MMO like LotRO into F2P and get away with it (it is NOT like what you though of F2P before) deserves an award here.

• chaqueschaques Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by G2GTech

I would've voted for Icarus Studios (of Fallen Earth fame), but they seem to be missing from the list, so I went with my alma mater (CCP/Eve Online).

I'm really surprised Icarus Studios aren't on here, Fallen Earth is a game that is constantly evolving. The team over there appear to be passionate about their MMO and for a team that started out knowing very little about the MMO market, they've come on leaps and bounds. Shame on you MMORPG for missing them out.

chaques
    wow/dnd/eq/eq2/rom

• SertiiSertii Member Posts: 52

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Originally posted by Paragus1

I cry for anyone who votes for a company on this list that has their first MMO in development right now that nobody has played yet.   Regardless of who is the winner, it should be someone who has actually released an MMO that people can play today.

That counts anet out then

the reason guild wars 2 has a 2 behind it's name is because it's a sequel, wich implies there was a guild wars 1. Wich has been released for 5 years. And is one of the best mmo's there are among with EVE online and WoW. So, yeah...

SteamID: Sertii

Help spread PC gaming dominance, sign up on Steam!