Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Firefall Interview: Gaming Nexus

harvest151harvest151 Member UncommonPosts: 217

Courtesy of Gaming Nexus

We were intrigued with FireFall when it was first announced.   Then Sean got to play it at PAX earlier this year and interest turned into near obsession.  Luckily we were able to setup this interview which I think will help others understand why the game should be on your games to watch list.

Could you introduce yourself and talk about your role on the project? How long have you been in the game industry and why did you decide to make a career out of creating video games?

My name is Scott Youngblood and I’m the Lead Game Designer on Firefall. I’ve been in the industry since 1990 where I accidentally got hired at Dynamix (a Eugene Oregon Based game company) as a Network Technician. I worked my up through the ranks at Dynamix over the next 10 years before leaving to pursue other interests.

It took my parents about three years of asking me when I was going to get a real job before they realized that gaming was going to be my career. I’ve always been passionate about games and it’s a wonderful life experience to be able to craft entertainment for other people.

READ THE FULL ARTICLE @ Gaming Nexus

Comments

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

This title looks like it has a lot of promise, but I'm still confused over one thing.  Is it an MMO or more like and FPS - class based shooter with lobbies like TF2, MNC, Borderlands, etc.?

"AVA and Combat Arms are great games, but we feel that we have created the ultimate team-based, action shooter experience that combines a large co-op campaign with deep character progression and competitive multiplayer gameplay."

-Sounds like typical FPS/Class Based Shooter w/ lobbies

"Firefall incorporates co-operative and competitive gameplay within enormous sandbox environments, and we’ll have a large variety of missions for players to experience."

-Sounds like an MMO

I'm hoping for the latter, but either way it sounds like it is shaping up well.

Steam: Neph

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Nephaerius
    This title looks like it has a lot of promise, but I'm still confused over one thing.  Is it an MMO or more like and FPS - class based shooter with lobbies like TF2, MNC, Borderlands, etc.?
    "AVA and Combat Arms are great games, but we feel that we have created the ultimate team-based, action shooter experience that combines a large co-op campaign with deep character progression and competitive multiplayer gameplay."
         -Sounds like typical FPS/Class Based Shooter w/ lobbies
    "Firefall incorporates co-operative and competitive gameplay within enormous sandbox environments, and we’ll have a large variety of missions for players to experience."
          -Sounds like an MMO
    I'm hoping for the latter, but either way it sounds like it is shaping up well.

You can combine both into a single game. Global Agenda does it and so does WoW to a large extent with their dungeon finder. Neither of those titles mentions the word "sandbox" though.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TpainTTpainT Member Posts: 31

It's an MMO; for reasons of their own the Devs have decided to try to call it something else.