Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Favorite MMO Company

Comments

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Easy for me and I've played games by all of those companies. With the list we were given (which is missing a few)....easily ArenaNet for me.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• Sarge69Sarge69 Member Posts: 16

ArenaNet gets my vote! They are creating a great game, but also listening to their players!

They support people who stay play their original game still too.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Paragus1

I cry for anyone who votes for a company on this list that has their first MMO in development right now that nobody has played yet.   Regardless of who is the winner, it should be someone who has actually released an MMO that people can play today.

Most of us have played games from ALL or MOST all of these companies.  I think it's pretty easy to make a decision based on prior experience with a company.  We're not voting on games, but the company, so....I don't really see it as an issue.  Just my opinion.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• LadyAlibiLadyAlibi Member UncommonPosts: 297

For those companies that haven't yet released a game, you could look at the quality of the information they are releasing, how they treat their fans, whether or not they seem truthful and forthcoming about the game they are working on. 

With that said... I am not saying for whom I voted. 

• ViktormonViktormon Member UncommonPosts: 22

I'M SORRY EN MASSE. Bioware gets this one!

• BlutorBlutor Member Posts: 2

ArenaNet rules, Guild Wars 2 will be awesome, a new way of playing MMO. Much faster, much adrenaline.

• ircaddictsircaddicts Member UncommonPosts: 218

Another no conest. ArenaNet wins by light years

Top 3 MMO's PRE-CU SWG GW1 GW2

Worst 2 wow and Lotro Under standing stones it went woke 

• malrodmalrod Member Posts: 87

blizzard wins . but for nostalgia sake  i vote for mythic entertainment since i LOVED early daoc.

live long and prosper
    strength and honor

if urgent do it yourself
    if you have time-delegate it
    if you have forever-form a committee

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Going strictly by game company, bioware and blizzard put the rest to shame. Most others on that list have only made one or two games. Granted that one game may be good, but it doesnt compare to over a decade of aaa tiltes year after year. Anet has to prove themselves with more than just one title to even be mentioned in the same sentence as blizz or bio.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

They may not be the biggest, but they are certainly the coolest.... CCP

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314

This is a biased discussion / poll since it is limited, not to mention listing a company that doesn't have the game listed out of closed beta yet (Rift)!

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621

I am torn between Turbine and ArenaNet.

• fritzwfritzw Member Posts: 2

ArenaNet has consistently followed through with its commitment to invested players with continued updates and content without additional fees, such as with the War in Kryta and Hearts of the North.  My favorite thing about the company is their focus on making the game enjoyable without having to pay a million microtransaction fees.  The microtransactions they offer are purely optional, and nevertheless brilliantly popular amongst players.  Seldom have a game's optional outfits been so awesome looking that I've even considered dropping real money for them, but the lich outfit was stunning (http://www.guildwars.com/images/events/halloween/lichraimentcostume.jpg).

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339

ArenaNet. No contest.

The developers always listen to the community, always friendly and helpful and just a wonderful bunch of people. They also keep their promises and deliver them; are perfectionists; have some of the best concept artists in the world; and are making an mmo game that is almost guranteed to be successful and dare I say a phenomenon in the mmo gaming industry.

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• XpertiseXpertise Member Posts: 120

Originally posted by Foomerang

Going strictly by game company, bioware and blizzard put the rest to shame. Most others on that list have only made one or two games. Granted that one game may be good, but it doesnt compare to over a decade of aaa tiltes year after year. Anet has to prove themselves with more than just one title to even be mentioned in the same sentence as blizz or bio.

You miss the point. The award is not about games the company has released, its about the company itself. The way it treats it's community, it's approach to game design etc... Although i admit that i'm a GW2 fanboy, my voice in this competition goes to CCP as a company. I like their design idea that devs are there to provide tools for the players, and that the players are the ones which should run and create content.

• HalibrandHalibrand Member UncommonPosts: 136

I have to agree with many posters about wanting to only list companies that have actually launched an MMO.  We wouldn't add someone to a Favourite Mothers contest if she was still only 5 months pregnant.  And the 'genre advancements from a forthcoming game' argument for including these companies in the list might end up being nothing more than fantastic marketing of a less fantastic result.  My desire to play The Secret World has me looking at voting for Funcom, but doing so would be ridiculous.  All that's based in is hype and dreams.  I can't even get into their beta yet.

One might argue that a reasonable poll would only include MMOs that all the voters have reasonable access to play.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Xpertise

Originally posted by Foomerang

You miss the point. The award is not about games the company has released, its about the company itself. The way it treats it's community, it's approach to game design etc... Although i admit that i'm a GW2 fanboy, my voice in this competition goes to CCP as a company. I like their design idea that devs are there to provide tools for the players, and that the players are the ones which should run and create content.

nah i got the point. I went with bioware because they have been doing everything you love about anet and ccp for over a decade with multiple titles. Ccp, anet, and bioware all have very admirable game design philosophies (and very similar too i might add) but unlike the other 2, bioware has a much broader and deeper track record and have walked the walk so to speak for much longer.
  • skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

*puts on flameproof suit*

No SOE? really?

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

ANet all the way; only company I've never had a bad thing to say about. Except that they need to work faster! *Gets out the carrot on a reel*

And ya actually, why no SOE? I know they're sorta...lol...but it seems odd the option wouldn't be there anyway.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

A lot of these companies don't even have a playable product. How can we ascertain if they are the best? Lame vote, imo.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

Anet by a mile. It will be done when it's right....are you listening you other MMO companies? 

• dbrondbron Member Posts: 1

Honestly, and I know I am NDA bound, but the customer service and quality Trion displayed during Rift's beta event was truly phenomenal. Their interactions with the community have been nothing but great, and they listen to both the praise and the woes. I am something of an Old Republic Fanboy, but Trion has TRULY impressed me as a company, above and beyond the commitment to service any other company has ever demonstrated. I honestly will buy and play Rift as a thank-you to them as a company if nothing else -- you just don't see quality people in the industry like that anymore.

• BluntForceGBluntForceG Member Posts: 4

Why are Chinese gold farming run companies like Nexon and Perfect World listed on here?

What a joke this is

• BornAsASlaveBornAsASlave Member UncommonPosts: 2

ArenaNet.......Hands down.....Try their support....you'll never see better support ......and this is GW1  we're talkin....you can tell that they actually care

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Sfaliara

Originally posted by Herodes

Originally posted by Sfaliara

Originally posted by Papadam
    Why are there several companies on that list who have never releaed an MMO?
    Bioware, Trion and Enmasse should be removed.

You forgot ARENANET.

In order to qualify for this category, a gaming company has made exciting advancements with games, forthcoming or previously released.

Should you point that at me or the guy I quoted? Think again...

My translator says forthcoming = future products of the companies do count, too.
    Yes, I am not happy with this. I.e. Trion has no chance here, because they barely were able to show how they care.