Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG = Guild wars??

GideonGideon Member UncommonPosts: 629

I have been thinking about trying Guild Wars for a bit, but I have a question. Should Guild Wars really be titled an MMORPG? If its anything like Diablo or Dungeon Siege then I cant see it being titled an MMOrpg. So what makes this game better then any other MMORPG besides that its free monthly..?

Comments

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

For God's sake, do we really need to discuss this 100 times a day?

You can consider it a MMORPG, you can consider it a CORPG (competitive online role playing game). It really doesn't matter, it just depends what you think a MMORPG should have.

• OrccOrcc Member Posts: 3,043

Its a GAME. Who cares WHAT it is. Enjoy it if you like it, don't play if you don't.

• GideonGideon Member UncommonPosts: 629

Dont discuss it 100 times a day if you dont want to. Im just asking if it meets up to standards and if most of you would consider it an MMORPG.

• HebrewBombHebrewBomb Member UncommonPosts: 520

I have proof that Mass can Multiply Game while Playing Role doesn't necessarily convolute Guild into Online Wars.

- When you multiply Saturnia's Radii by Babelonian base number you obtain Greek Titan called Iapetus also known as Jupiter by Roman.

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Originally posted by Gideon
    So what makes this game better then any other MMORPG besides that its free monthly..?

Whether the game is better or not than any other MMOG has nothing to do with its classification.

It is absolutely a MMOG, if only for the reason than there is only one server which everyone plays on. You can challenge anyone to a duel and they will not have to create a specific character on a specific shard/server in order to play against you. Results of the Regional battels are broadcast to everyone at all times, and you will encounter hundreds of players at any of the civilian hubs in the game.

Is it a classic MMOG? It is not, not even close. It is a different kind of game, but it is still a Massively Multiplayer Online Game, and thus it is a MMOG.

• sidebustersidebuster Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Originally posted by ianubisi
    Originally posted by Gideon
    So what makes this game better then any other MMORPG besides that its free monthly..?

Whether the game is better or not than any other MMOG has nothing to do with its classification.

It is absolutely a MMOG, if only for the reason than there is only one server which everyone plays on. You can challenge anyone to a duel and they will not have to create a specific character on a specific shard/server in order to play against you. Results of the Regional battels are broadcast to everyone at all times, and you will encounter hundreds of players at any of the civilian hubs in the game.

Is it a classic MMOG? It is not, not even close. It is a different kind of game, but it is still a Massively Multiplayer Online Game, and thus it is a MMOG.

im sorry, but your way off. It is a MORPG it is not one world which everyone plays together. It is a instance lobbies with grouping or single player instances. I believe mmorpgs are suppose to simulate a fantasy world. Everqust is a good example. one world, no instances if you go to felwethe (sp) it is the same place everyone else goes to, there isnt a felwethe 1 2 3 or international.

Even the devs at guild wars say it is more of a corpg competitive online role playing game.

But i had enough trying to explain to newbs what the differences are. I dont care anymore.

• KMar_SoldierKMar_Soldier Member Posts: 41
    I just joined this forum and I'm already getting sick of this discussion, imagine... If you would have searched the internet good enough, than you would have discovered that GW is a CORPG, and not an MMO of any kind. So stop stuttering and starting worthless topics and go search the internet for more information if you are not convinced. Can topics be closed/locked on this forum? If so, please lock this one.

::Semper Paratus Pro Justitia::

• kmimmorpgkmimmorpg Member Posts: 624

Originally posted by Orcc

Its a GAME. Who cares WHAT it is. Enjoy it if you like it, don't play if you don't.

Maybe the reason why this is getting so much discussion here, is because this site is for MMORPGs. And apparently some people don't agree that it fits the description close enough. I don't think the OP issue is with whether the game is enjoyable or not...

Originally posted by KMar_Soldier
    I just joined this forum and I'm already getting sick of this discussion, imagine... If you would have searched the internet good enough, than you would have discovered that GW is a CORPG, and not an MMO of any kind. So stop stuttering and starting worthless topics and go search the internet for more information if you are not convinced. Can topics be closed/locked on this forum? If so, please lock this one.

I just love how people spend their time to contribute to a conversation they consider to be worthless.

• DuckyDucky Member Posts: 413
    I was under the impression Guildwars was a MMORPG when i bought it, far from, its fun, but it defiantly does NOT feel masive at all, it feels down right LONELY at times, but its fun :) Guildwars is a CORPG (I.E Diablo 2 built with only multiplayer in mind)

I think people are being exceptionally narrow-minded in their observation of what classifies a game as Massively Multiplayer. Many arguments that are made to disqualify GW as a MMOG can equally be made against any number of MMOG stalwart titles.

Instancing? It's been around since 2000 with AO and it's been adopted by many MMOGs released since (not all, just many).

Lonliness? Go log on to Horizons, Asheron's Call, Anarchy Online, even EverQuest in a newbie or low-level zone and you can feel equally lonely.

"It's just a lobby to start an instance." People have been calling MMOGs glorified chatrooms since the earliest days. When people run out of content they tend to have little else to do but sit and chat with each other...there is very little difference.

The fact that ArenaNet has branded the game a Competitive Online Roleplaying Game does not mean it is not a Massively Multiplayer Online Game. Anyone who plays Guild Wars is playing in the same server architecture, in the same gameworld, with the same opportunity to play with each other at any given time. CORPG does not mean it cannot also be a MMOG.

Further, unlike most MMOGs on the market today, they also do not need to maintain multiple characters on different servers to have the opportunity to play against other players. One character is all you need to challenge anyone anywhere in the world. For my money, this is what firmly places this game in the Massively Multiplayer camp, and thus qualifies it as a MMOG.

There are plenty of people who come to this forum looking for a game just like Guild Wars. A game with fast and furious PvP action with an emphasis on tactics and team strategy. I think it makes sense to make a distinction between the playstyles of Guild Wars and any other MMOG, but the same can be made for other titles like A Tale in the Desert, Second Life, Puzzle Pirates, and many other alternative models.

Originally posted by Ducky
    I was under the impression Guildwars was a MMORPG when i bought it, far from, its fun, but it defiantly does NOT feel masive at all, it feels down right LONELY at times, but its fun :) Guildwars is a CORPG (I.E Diablo 2 built with only multiplayer in mind)

Finally somebody who sees what kind of game Guild Wars is...

• kmimmorpgkmimmorpg Member Posts: 624

Lonliness? Go log on to Horizons, Asheron's Call, Anarchy Online, even EverQuest in a newbie or low-level zone and you can feel equally lonely.

But I wouldn't expect that feeling of lonliness in a game that was just released...

I am not flaming your baby, just so you know, i enjoy this game, just stating it as it is.

I consider massive logging on, looking around, seeing people, people interacting with complete strangers, just a general feeling of massiveness, Guild wars has NONE of that feeling.

You know what i did for three hours last night? ran around, hunted and did quests, you know how many people i saw, ZERO not one, how was that differnt then a single player game? Yes, i know i have access to hundereds of people (Not thousands), but i will rarely be with them while i am online, i do not spend most of my time in the Guild wars chat room (City/outpost).

and ofcourse, log in too an empty mmorpg, and you wont find anyone, log on too WoW, EQ2 thats not empty, and they instance..

I am not saying this is a bad thing, i am just saying it is not MASSIVLEY MULTIPLAYER, it is Multi-Player, but not massive.

Here is another exmaple, i play Counter-Strike with a Warcraft 3 AMX Mod plugin, this adds Warcraft 3 abilities to the game, you gain experince for killing people and so on, the server limit is 20, there are three servers, i keep my experince on all of the servers, is this now massive?

• stav1stav1 Member Posts: 282

Of course Guild Wars is not a Mmorpg.

The MMO part of that means a virtual world where all players on that sever have an opportunity to interact with each other in that world. All mmorpgs fulfill this definition- some more so than others however.  Instances in mmorpgs are used as a seperate gameplay aspect divorced from the mmorpg world itself but the mmorpg world which allows player interaction is always present.

In GW, the MMO aspect is confined to "chat lobbies" (ie virtually non-existent). Even in-game there are major limits on a player's freedom eg. invisible barriers. Diablo online ain't a mmorpg and GW aint a mmorpg.

Ahh yes, the borders are also quite a turn off in the massiveness, Borders everywhere, i cant even go down a semi-steep hill, cant walk in any buildings,

I have no idea why people think its a MMORPG, its exactly as stated, a CORPG, not a MMCORPG

• twhinttwhint Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Well, what's a person's definition of 'massive'? One cannot deny that GW is multiplayer, nor that you can roleplay on it, if you wish, and some people do. It's merely a label, and if you don't agree with it, well frankly, you're not running the site. This keeps coming up because people enjoy conflict. All you're going to see is people arguing their view on the subject, since there is no 'fact' in dealing with a subjective subject, and, as I said earlier, the only view that matters is the one who runs the site.

I am not flaming your baby, just so you know, i enjoy this game, just stating it as it is.

It's not my baby and I don't find the game particularly personally compelling. I'm not arguing the superiority of Guild Wars, I'm arguing for the merits of the MMOG classification being a far broader web.

Here is another exmaple, i play Counter-Strike with a Warcraft 3 AMX Mod plugin, this adds Warcraft 3 abilities to the game, you gain experince for killing people and so on, the server limit is 20, there are three servers, i keep my experince on all of the servers, is this now massive?

No, because while there are tens of thousands of people who pay Counter-Strike, there is no way for you to instantly play against any one of them at any time without hunting down what server they are on and hoping you can carve out a space to play against one another.

I completely understand the argument about the PvE aspect of the game being a very isolated experience. It is, without a doubt. But that is really just the preamble of the game. The game is primarily a PvP experience, very similar to Counter-Strike. The primary difference being, and again this is where the MMO aspect comes into play, that you can play against anyone at any time without changing your character or changing your server. All the region versus region battles happen at your doorstep, only a few clicks away.

I've seen more people in Guild Wars on a daily basis than I saw even at large events in A Tale in the Desert, and the majority of my ATITD experience was exceptionally isolated and alone. 95% of my experiences in ATITD had less players involved than any given 8x8 team PvP experience in GW. Almost every day I played EVE, for 10 months, I saw at most maybe 4 players in a single location at any one time...and most of the time those people were coming or going. The vast majority of my experience in that game was isolated and alone.

Isolation is not enough of a classification to disqualify Guild Wars as a MMOG. From my point of view, the only qualification necessary for a game to equate to a MMOG is that it enables its entire playerbase to interact in a contiguous virtual world.

'''Disqualify Guild Wars as a MMOG''... That sounds very negative, while it's not. We don't say Guild Wars does not DESERVE the titel MMOG, it just isn't that type of game! NCSoft never tried to develop a MMOG. Please go search on the internet, there you will find out that Guild Wars is NOT a MMOG, and that NCSoft never intended to build one. They wanted to develop an amazing CORPG, and my opinion is that they succeeded. I think GW is a great game as a CORPG, as it never was or will be an MMOG.

'''Disqualify Guild Wars as a MMOG''... That sounds very negative, while it's not.

I think GW is a great game as a CORPG, as it never was or will be an MMOG.

Please reconcile these two thoughts...they are completely incompatable.

NCSoft never tried to develop a MMOG. Please go search on the internet, there you will find out that Guild Wars is NOT a MMOG, and that NCSoft never intended to build one. They wanted to develop an amazing CORPG, and my opinion is that they succeeded.

NCSoft did not develop the game, and regardless of whether they call it a CORPG or a Dune Buggy it is still a MMOG in my view.

• EgoldEgold Member Posts: 74

I just love how people spend their time to contribute to a conversation they consider to be worthless.

Totallyl true iansubisi! ::::28::

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

No, because while there are tens of thousands of people who pay Counter-Strike, there is no way for you to instantly play against any one of them at any time without hunting down what server they are on and hoping you can carve out a space to play against one another.

Hmmm, with that new definition of what it takes to be an MMORPG (the ability to instantly play against any other player of the game regardless of server), I guess the question now is what type of game is EQ, or UO, or WoW, or DAoC, or SWG, or CoH, or AC, or AO, or hell, just about any other game on this site that has servers.

image image

Think whatever you want to, I'm not going to spend any more time on this topic, would be a waste...

• GideonGideon Member UncommonPosts: 629

Well.. for some reason these forums are for mmorpg's right? I dont see why people have to make a big deal about certain topics.. You would think if you had a question about a mmorpg it might be ok to ask on an MMORPG forum but instead all people have to say is "im getting bored of this topic.." Instead why dont you not reply to the topic and let people who will awnser my question reply to this topic... There is no need to lock this topic. If you dont enjoy it, dont reply to it. simple as that.

Originally posted by n2sooners

Hmmm, with that new definition of what it takes to be an MMORPG (the ability to instantly play against any other player of the game regardless of server), I guess the question now is what type of game is EQ, or UO, or WoW, or DAoC, or SWG, or CoH, or AC, or AO, or hell, just about any other game on this site that has servers.

Notice I am not defining MMOG in the above quote.

Specifically, I have defined my qualification of a MMOG here:

From my point of view, the only qualification necessary for a game to equate to a MMOG is that it enables its entire playerbase to interact in a contiguous virtual world.

But I tell you what, upon further reflection I realize I need to ammend that view to the following:

The only qualification necessary for a game to equate to a MMOG is that it enables its entire playerbase to interact in a contiguous, persistent virtual world.