Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: Favorite MMO Company

Comments

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

Originally posted by Papadam

Why are there several companies on that list who have never releaed an MMO?

Bioware, Trion and Enmasse should be removed.

You forgot ARENANET.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Turbine without a doubt.

It revolutionised Subscription model. MMOs will never be the same again

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Turbine without a doubt.

It revolutionised Subscription model. MMOs will never be the same again

For better or for worse, they will never be the same again.....

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Sfaliara

You forgot ARENANET.

In order to qualify for this category, a gaming company has made exciting advancements with games, forthcoming or previously released.
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I voted Anet, but it felt wrong considering they haven't put anything out this year to be voting for them.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I hate their profiteering, but SOE should really be a choice here, considering the positve attention DCUO is getting, the innovation the Agency seems to be aiming for, and the fact they are running at least 3 games that are enjoyed by stable profitable players bases.

Other companies here that have not yet released a MMO should be taken off.

• XpertiseXpertise Member Posts: 120

You forgot to add ArenaNets logo...

• TomWoodrowTomWoodrow Member Posts: 49

ArenaNet all the way

join us on seastone (btw no cash shop to run your bank account dry)

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?83070-Lotro-Players&s=d555bfc9e2f4d22851c5359cb80e5b27

Originally posted by Herodes

Originally posted by Sfaliara

You forgot ARENANET.

In order to qualify for this category, a gaming company has made exciting advancements with games, forthcoming or previously released.

Should you point that at me or the guy I quoted? Think again...

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

Hey... I love what I hear and see about RIFT... but how can TRION be on this list? 

In order to be someone's favorite company... wouldn't they have had to actually ship a product first?  

They might be on the list for next year..and I hope they are... but having them nominated THIS year when they have no products on the market is kind of.. puzzling.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

Voting Bioware without voting their parent company EA is allowed.

Voting ArenaNet without voting their parent company NCSoft is allowed.

Why can't I vote Blizzard Entertainment without voting their parent company Activision Blizzard?

• drumchannelldrumchannell Member UncommonPosts: 182

ArenaNet, no question.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Originally posted by Paragus1

I cry for anyone who votes for a company on this list that has their first MMO in development right now that nobody has played yet.   Regardless of who is the winner, it should be someone who has actually released an MMO that people can play today.

That counts anet out then

I do wonder what Guild Wars 1 is....

This is not a game.

• hammarushammarus Member UncommonPosts: 196

Voting here seems irrational.  As are many of the choices.  Many of the listed gaming companies haven't even released a game yet, and several haven't for many years.  If you go on the strength of the crop of companies with previous and still played games, the list gets much shorter.

• JoxadinJoxadin Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by Timukas

Just how is Bioware an MMO company? Did I miss something again?

Well actually they are making a MMO called Star Wars: The old Republic. It's currently one of the most anticipated MMO's, but I don't really like it... :(

Originally posted by Zeroxin

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Originally posted by Paragus1

I cry for anyone who votes for a company on this list that has their first MMO in development right now that nobody has played yet.   Regardless of who is the winner, it should be someone who has actually released an MMO that people can play today.

That counts anet out then

I do wonder what Guild Wars 1 is....

MMO it is not, said by ArenaNet themselves, care to disagree?

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

The fact that this category includes companies who have released only hype and not MMOs makes this utter hogwash. Rename it "Most Hyped MMO Company" and get a clue, MMORPG.com .

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Originally posted by hammarus

Voting here seems irrational.  As are many of the choices.  Many of the listed gaming companies haven't even released a game yet, and several haven't for many years.  If you go on the strength of the crop of companies with previous and still played games, the list gets much shorter.

Blizzard

Turbine

CCP

?

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

Blizzard

Turbine

CCP

?

Funcom.

Despite the fact they have made abominational released they are on the market for a long time and their games are playable. :D

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

ArenaNet for me, the information delivery and examining assumptions of MMO design, quote:

When building an MMO, we had to examine every core piece of accepted content from traditional games in the genre and ask, "How can this be improved?"

CCP comes in a close second for keeping the genre alive each year, but ArenaNet's blogs have been very open, honest and communicative of how they are trying to build a different & better mmo + rpg. More MMOs need to follow suit to be taken seriously imo.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

There is no reason why companies who haven't released a MMO but are hyping their soon to be released wares can't be included in this category.The category is nto asking for your opinion on best run game or most successful game or game which you enjoy the most just your favorite MMO producing company.Thus it's not asking for your opinion on existing MMOs and the companies running them but of any company running an MMO OR currently creating one .MMORPG.com could of includred companies with MMOs merely announced with no hype or information on said games if they wished but clearly decided to only include those with games projected to release in the next year.So...get over it.

• hammarushammarus Member UncommonPosts: 196

Originally posted by Drakynn

There is no reason why companies who haven't released a MMO but are hyping their soon to be released wares can't be included in this category.The category is nto asking for your opinion on best run game or most successful game or game which you enjoy the most just your favorite MMO producing company.Thus it's not asking for your opinion on existing MMOs and the companies running them but of any company running an MMO OR currently creating one .MMORPG.com could of includred companies with MMOs merely announced with no hype or information on said games if they wished but clearly decided to only include those with games projected to release in the next year.So...get over it.

So we should just... guess?

• G2GTechG2GTech Member Posts: 25

I would've voted for Icarus Studios (of Fallen Earth fame), but they seem to be missing from the list, so I went with my alma mater (CCP/Eve Online).

"The civilized man is rude, as he knows there are laws that protect him from recompense; The savage is not, for his actions can meet a bloody end."
    - Robert E. Howard

• ZarcobZarcob Member Posts: 207

Originally posted by hammarus

It's the internet.  Rational thoughts don't apply.

The morning sun has vanquished the horrible night.

• Thor79Thor79 Member Posts: 96

ArenaNet...by far...there's a reason I'm still playing Guild Wars and can't wait for Guild Wars 2....they do their job...and they do it RIGHT.