Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jumpgate Evolution: Codemasters Suing Gazillion & NetDevil

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Thanks to MMORPG.com reader, DevilXaphan, for the information that Codemasters has filed suit against Gazillion Entertainment and NetDevil for costs incurred to develop Jumpgate Evolution. According to the court documents, Codemasters is seeking approximately $1.3 million dollars in monies given to the development team and for court costs.

Defendants have failed and refused to comply with the development schedule in THE AGREEMENT, such that THE GAME has never been ready for commercial release because NETDEVIL has not completed development of THE GAME. Such failure and refusal constitutes a material breach of Defendants' obligations under THE AGREEMENT.

Read the full court documents here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

And this is one of the reasons why games get pushed out the door before they are ready I guess.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

SHENANIGANS!

• NeerDoWellNeerDoWell Member Posts: 184

Sad. I was really hoping for a cockpit style joystick control MMO :(

“If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got 1000 MPG” - Bill Gates

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

For what they are trying to do I think this game has been in development way too long. 

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

Originally posted by NeerDoWell

There is still BP.

• AristidesAristides Member Posts: 172

K.  Guess I'm still hoping for Black Prophecy to be decent then, since who knows if JGE will ever see the light.

The suit document mentions the "Prequel Game".  Guess that's still running.  Wonder is it going to be screwed too because of this litigation?

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Terranah

For what they are trying to do I think this game has been in development way too long. 

True that,  To be fair it has been awhile.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

The game is in production for over 4 years. And all we had was a 2 minute youtube video showing a tech demo.

Both producers and creators long ago left NetDevil and game was scraped and remade again (with skeleton team) year ago.

Now if that dont scream Vaporeware to you. Than I dont know what does.

But yea. Some new mmorpg readers are perhaps less sensitive to reason.

On other side Codemasters got the clue.

• mxmissilemxmissile Member UncommonPosts: 275

Who cares about ND anyway. The game would have been shut down anyway, simply because they touched it.

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

For shame.

And the CEO of Netdevil has left the company.

Well the original Jumpgate was awesome, so lets hope Scott Brown starts a new company and makes a real sequel to Jumpgate (Not the freelancer crap that is JGE).

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Netdevil should of known better than to get involved with Codemasters to begin with. They are da real devil! heh.

• RobLeatherRobLeather Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by Aramanu2

For shame.

And the CEO of Netdevil has left the company.

Well the original Jumpgate was awesome, so lets hope Scott Brown starts a new company and makes a real sequel to Jumpgate (Not the freelancer crap that is JGE).

My thoughts exactly

• ThalariusThalarius Member Posts: 125

Am not suprised even thier main site located in colorado is offline.  JGE is dead, get used to it. Would not be suprised if the IRS goes after them as well.  

• Xix13Xix13 Member Posts: 259

Originally posted by NeerDoWell

I seem to remember one awhile ago that was a lot of fun, though it wasn't in space.  Remember Auto Assault (wasn't that NetDevil too?)?  Only MMO where I ever used a joystick as my primary controller.  I knew I'd bought that sidewinder force feedback stick for a REASON!  A game I enjoyed but, alas, it had those ever-present "balance" problems in PvP that spelled quick death for the game, like so many other interesting ideas.

-- Xix
    "I know what you're thinking: 'Why, oh WHY, didn't I take the BLUE pill?'"

• harvest151harvest151 Member UncommonPosts: 217

I called it 9 months ago. Vaporware. This is a nail in the coffin.

• RamblebrainRamblebrain Member Posts: 52

A good thing is that when a game like this shuts down, the talent lives on in another shape :)

• HepisodicHepisodic Member Posts: 328

The End.

Veritas Vos Liberabit- The truth will set you free.

• HyperwolfHyperwolf Member UncommonPosts: 120

Bah. I hadn't followed this game closely over the years, but when I left EVE i looked around for something with a bit more twitch style combat and was looking forward to seeing a playable demo of this. Guess BP is the last hope now. Or CCP modifies it's combat system, though I can't ever see that happening.

You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks
    ~ WC

• remedymremedym Member Posts: 1

I have an Open Beta Registration e-mail from 2008 :) And I want to keep it as long as i can :D

So sad... I wait a lot of days to play... but now I know it never comes out...

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Oooom shame :(

• serphilithserphilith Member UncommonPosts: 27

Originally posted by DevilXaphan

SHENANIGANS!

Haha... Shenanigans... *giggles*