Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions about the expansion, any help would be great ;)

jugularveinjugularvein Member UncommonPosts: 371

Hi all, I noticed that they have have a great deal on all 3 of the WoW games and was wondering how it all works.  I have a few questions if you guys dont mind answering ;)

1.  So with cataclysm coming out, which games do I need before it? 

2.  How does cataclysm actually work?  I mean say I buy all 3 games then buy cataclysm am I going to be missing out on previous gameplay from the first 3 since the world actually changes?

3. Would it be better to play the first 3 then add cataclysm or should i just get all 4 and start at cataclysm?

Thank you all for the info ahead of time,  Im just un-sure how this how process works ;/

also on  a side note my main gaming rig's motherboard fried and Im stuck playing on a :

Lenvovo Y530 Ideapad laptop   -  Would this be able to run the game fine and during pvp or am I going to fry out the laptop too?

CPU-HP Omen 17.3" Laptop  i7  12 GB AMD Radeon RX580 1 TB Hard Drive

Comments

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

WoW core game = Level 1-60
    Burning Crusade expansion Level 60-70
    Lich King expansion = Level 70-80
    Cataclysm expansion = Level 80-85

The core world of WoW (1-60) already changed, think of it as a patch.

WoW is quite heavy on end game, so after 2 weeks you may need Cataclysm anyway.

I don´t know about hardware requirements, but WoW is quite famous for not needing powerful hardware.
    Edit: Robokapp was faster and better

• jugularveinjugularvein Member UncommonPosts: 371

You guys are gentlemen and scholars.   Makes sense now thank you.  I thought with all the hype about the world changing that it started from the beginning zones.  I didn't know its mostly for high lvl players so now its clear that you need the others to progress up to it.  Bad part is I kinda wanted to roll a goblin so I may just pick up the expansion anyways.  If anyone knows if that laptop can run the game I would be greatful.  Allready lost my gaming rig so im hoping I can get away using that for awhile ;)

CPU-HP Omen 17.3" Laptop  i7  12 GB AMD Radeon RX580 1 TB Hard Drive

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Hello

While what they say above me is all correct, do consider that some parts of the game are limited to having a certain expansion.

Archaeology for example, is limited to having Cataclysm expansion, Inscription came with WOTLK while jewelcrafting came with TBC... I'm not actually sure if those are still limited to those expansions, but it may well be.

The starting areas of Blood elves and Draenei are off limits if you do not have TBC. The Death Knight class is off limits if you do not have WOTLK, a minor point this one as you cannot do a DK until you are level 58 anyway.

And of course Worgen and Goblins races AND starting areas are limited to Cataclysm owners.

The new class/race combinations and the changes to the old world, however, are available to all.

I hope this helped somewhat :P

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

Originally posted by jugularvein

You guys are gentlemen and scholars.   Makes sense now thank you.  I thought with all the hype about the world changing that it started from the beginning zones.  I didn't know its mostly for high lvl players so now its clear that you need the others to progress up to it.  Bad part is I kinda wanted to roll a goblin so I may just pick up the expansion anyways.  If anyone knows if that laptop can run the game I would be greatful.  Allready lost my gaming rig so im hoping I can get away using that for awhile ;)

The changes are for the beginning zones, as its level 1 - 60 that got updated.  The only starting areas untouched are those associated with The Burning Crusade.  You will need Cataclysm to roll a Worgan or Goblin though, as they are part of that expansion.

Also ignore the post above, as its looking like a scam.

• Billybob2006Billybob2006 Member Posts: 47

Originally posted by grapevine

Originally posted by jugularvein

The changes are from the beginning zones, as its level 1 - 60 that got updated.  The only starting areas untouched are those associated with The Burning Crusade.  You will need Cataclsym to roll a Worgan or Goblin though, as they are part of that expansion.

Also ignore the post above, as its looking like a scam.

I mostly want to reiterate not to click on the post above Grapevine, but since I'm posting, as Grapevine also said, Cata changed the landscape of the old world for 1-60, while also adding zones/content for 80-85.  You will need the core game and the three expansions in order to be able to reach the endgame.  

The price of $20 for WoW, tBC, and WoTLK is impressively cheap (argh!  When I bought them, it was $50, $40, $40.), as you still get the free 30 days that come with the core game (a $15 value).  If the prices are set to stay there for a while, then trying out the trial would be a good idea, but I would not suggest missing out on those prices.  

• rtbbvrrtbbvr Member UncommonPosts: 163

Again I'm here to say everything they've said is correct, and don't click the link. I'm also here to recommend myself for a buddy key. A buddy key lets you try out the game like a trial, but with a friend. You get XP boosts and are able to summon and grant eachother bonus levels. In return for me inviting you they give me a free month of game time if you deciede to pay to play. So yeah I am kinda pushing it on you but the bonuses we both get are far worth it! Just send me a message if you'd like to try it out. 

EDIT: Ahhh drat that scambot! Didn't know how old the OP was lol. Well still if you haven't found anything let me know.

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

Just to add some clarity around the changes and the expansions.   Only the original game is needed for the level 1 - 60 changes, as they are part of a free content patch (The Shattering).  

If you want to roll a Blood Elf or Draenei, they are part of The Burning Crusade, which covers levels 60-70 and the relevant starting areas.   

For a Death Knight, you'd need Wrath of the Lich King, which covers levels 70-80.  Note Death Knights start at level 55.

Cataclysm is levels 80-85, along with access to Worgan and Goblin starting area.