Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So far, very boring. Worth getting to 80 and trying the end-game?

gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

I have been looking for a new MMO for a while, and so far, no luck.

Recently I decided trying AOC, since I have been reading good stuff about the game in forums and such. Well, I am very disappointed. It's been 62 levels of utter boredom, very linear questing, many levels where you don't even get a skill, annoying maps that force u go in circles through narrow passages infested with mobs (just to hide the fact that the maps are actually quite small), slow combat...

I usually give games time so I try them properly before deciding leaving or not. But AOC really got me very bored.

So, here comes the question:

I am mainly a PVE-raider. I know AOC has a decent amount of raiding content, but I don't want to endure 18 more levels of super-boring questing just to find out that what's up there at high-end is equally boring.

Is the raiding content in this game good? And I mean really good, not just decent, becouse the rest of the stuff sucks quite a lot, tbh. Or should I cancel already?

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

if you are willing to pay the sub for a few months you dont have to level the old fashion way, you can just use the free offline levels you get every few days. that's right every 3 or so days that you stay subscribed you get a free level for any of your characters. you dont even have to play at all and in a few months you can just make a level 80 and go stright into raiding.

the maps do get bigger in the expansions( rise of the god slayer).

having sed that if you dont like the game after 60 level.....well then i just think it's not your cup of tea. it doesnt get much different at end level.  why play it if you dont like it? i say, you gave it a good shot, time to move on.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

There is challenging raid content (aka T3 + new T4) in AoC. However, if you do not like the game after 62 levels then this might not be the game for you. Still, you are only 18 levels away so the offline levels can carry you to 80. 

• finaticdfinaticd Member Posts: 843

Originally posted by gordiflu

I am mainly a PVE-raider. I know AOC has a decent amount of raiding content, but I don't want to endure 18 more levels of super-boring questing just to find out that what's up there at high-end is equally boring.

Is the raiding content in this game good? And I mean really good, not just decent, becouse the rest of the stuff sucks quite a lot, tbh. Or should I cancel already?

IDK you may find it awesome and totaly worth it but you are already doing the end game.  AoC develops content slowly do to not much revenue from AoC so to prolong the game they added an expansion with repeatable PvE quests for the best gear, which will help the korean market, and also 2 bugged out raid bosses, but all raid content was released very buggy so they spend a lot of time to fix it. 

Not sure what raiding games you have played, but AoC does not have a decent amount of raiding content and they develop so slow it never will. The game is close to three years old. T1-T2 is pretty much from release, T3 is about a year old, T4 was from the expansion and not sure if they added anything but it was 2 bosses and is still buggy whatever. Basically, in most raiding games they would be releasing the volume of content today every 3 months.

However, AoC's new end game might apeal to you as you enjoy pve and you get better gear than raiding.  Pretty much all the end game content added in the expansion is solo quest or instance runs for faction points and after crazy amount of hours, like well over 100 you get a top end piece of gear. If you want pvp gear you can go mine rocks for 1000s of hours for great PvP gear.

GL hitting level 80, like Jackd said, you don't even have to play the game, just buy a sub and you get a lot of free levels and will get more for christmas. If you don't like your class you get a free level 50 so You don't even have to play just free level boost your main or another class. Is win/win.

Funcom has reviewed all of its assets relevant for
    impairment testing. This process has led to
    recognition of an impairment loss of around
    3,1 MUSD for Age of Conan due to a decrease in
    numbers of subscribers for the game. Funcom Q4 10 report.
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showpost.php?p=2926123&postcount=7 500 mains/alts on Tyranny in past 30 days - instead of merge servers let's open a new PvP server, again! http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=106427

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565

you're mainly a pve carebear raider? aoc sounds like your paradise, try WoW while you're at it.

• haratuharatu Member UncommonPosts: 409

If you are a raiding person then they are well designed raids... but if the rest of the content is already boring you then I cant see you playing past 6 months.

You might want to try the expansion area of Khitai as many of the instances there feel like mini-raids, but if that also bores you then i recommend giving up.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I you played 62 levels and didn't like it nothing can happens to change your mind.

Sorry, but try something else instead, taste is very different but I think anyone will know if they like AoC or not after a few sanctum runs at lvl 35-40. 

Life is short so don't waste your precious spare time doing something boring.

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

every level I thought gives you skill points to allocate.

Man but AOC is the best PVE game out there, I am not sure what you mean by linear questing, what games doesnt have that.

it was the fact that ALL aoc had was pve is why I left it, no crafting, no odd skill sets or mini games, same damn 1 pvp map.

no cross server  etc. 

• Skeeter870Skeeter870 Member Posts: 75

Open zones with seamless terrain.

One button = one action.

Gear should matter far, far more.

Mobs 10-20 levels lower than you should not be able to kill you. (Changed to break people farming instances.)

And the game would've done just fine.

It's pretty, fairly interesting otherwise.

I had high hopes for AoC, especially considering I loved AO dearly.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Thanks for the comments, ppl.

I guess many of you are right. If I haven't enjoyed the game so far, what's the point? Anyway, I have not played AOC again since the post, I can't see myself enduring more boredom.

Btw, @psychotroll (yeah, I ll bite): I can't help laughing at certain pvp hardcore-wannabe kind of gamers, when, in any open pvp game that I have played, 99% of the times PVP gets reduced to this: If the enemy group has bigger numbers we run away from it, otherwise we run after it. That, and griefing low level players that are trying to do some quests. Very pro and very hardcore, pft.

• Skeeter870Skeeter870 Member Posts: 75

Yeah that's pretty much what it comes down to.

In all games with a PVP element.