Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The problem with Cataclysm and leveling "sigh"

NergleNergle Member UncommonPosts: 253

Have to say, I am stoked about Cataclysm and the new changes coming as it gives a person who had left after classic "vanilla" a chance to catch up on the new lore and content that is offered.

A negative though in regards to the changes (other than making Enh Shaman spec suck ass) is the overall levelig experience. What I mean by this is I still cannot level from 1-85 doing content just through Cataclysm, as I have to go back to Outlands in order to level from 50-68 and then 70-80 in Northrend (this is a very backward ass dynamic "did I mention I hate outlands and quit the first time because of it?".

Why after hitting level 85 would I want to make another avatar just to torture myself again by going through the monotone "same quests" of mana tombs and Ramparts 100-200 times to make levels?

I know some of you will say there is PvP, but with the current imbalanced issues in which they will not fix with Druids and Rogues 1-2 shotting people  "until level 85" it just furthers the frustration.

I don't go to Warcraft forums to read the 99.9% junk posts that are never moderated there and use to go to Eliteist jerks (quality of forums posts there have dropped now also) to get information from the blue names in order to get responses/concerns about the game answered by folks that know.

So, my question is this, anyone have any idea if this will be addressed where everything flows and doesn't seem like a chore from those levels or are the devs not concerned with this (hell they should give a buff that gives you a level per quest turn in through outlands for levels 58-68).

Thanks for the replies/answers

-Nergle 

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I can go from 58 to 68 in about a day. I do all the quests in hfp and zang and im almost 67. Pick up a couple dungeons and youre off to northrend. Its not bad at all.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

You're not going to get any free levels, but you will have the gear that gives you additional experience and the level requirements or the XP earned has been cranked up so you get through Outlands and Northrend faster.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

As well, pick up Herbalism and Mining and max them out ASAP.  The amount of experience gained per node is not insignificant, and you can make quite a bit from the older herbs/minerals.  If you wish to invest the time, you can level through Outland just gathering.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Originally posted by Foomerang

I can go from 58 to 68 in about a day. I do all the quests in hfp and zang and im almost 67. Pick up a couple dungeons and youre off to northrend. Its not bad at all.

Yep.. you can level from 1 to 80 in less then a month.. spend another month doing 81-85.. if not faster... then what?  Grind 5 mans for 2 years, and  a new raid every 5 months??  ( ICC was the only top raid for a year) I always wondered how many times I killed the end boss in HP or the Nexus.. probably 100's of times.. and if I had to do Halls of Stone one more time.. lmaoooo

I just hope that games in the future give us more variety at end game..

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Rydeson

Yep.. you can level from 1 to 80 in less then a month.. spend another month doing 81-85.. if not faster... then what?  Grind 5 mans for 2 years, and  a new raid every 5 months??  ( ICC was the only top raid for a year) I always wondered how many times I killed the end boss in HP or the Nexus.. probably 100's of times.. and if I had to do Halls of Stone one more time.. lmaoooo

From your mouth to the game god's ears.  Or rather......

From your keyboard to the game god's eyes.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I hate outlands as well.

• tddavistddavis Member Posts: 159

I wouldn't expect variety in wow's endgame, having played all 3 games in their prime it seems the same. if anything it is going to get more tedious and more grindy like vanilla since you won't be able to do badges anymore so you can do the current raid. it is going to be grind for you Raid starter set than you have to do each raid in order to progress your gear to the current Raid dungeon if you aren't bored yet. not to mention the people who raid ragularly having to run recruits through those dungeon. I remember doing it in vanilla and have no plans doing that again. I didn't ever want to see the inside of a vanilla raid as long as I live. I wouldn't even do the achievements for alts because I hate them that much from running them so many times. It is actually going to be hard to manage them to. I remember having a different raid every night of the week because you had to do it to progress your raid group. I  predict that only the top 1% are going to be able to actually play the new content the devs put at the end of catacysm's life.

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607

Hit the Battlegrounds at level 58 and roll on through. If you do the ones that are in Call to Arms, you can gain a level every 2-3 sessions, assuming your side wins. Rack up the honor points and you can get yourself some pretty decent purples. You won't be at the top of the gear pile, but it's still servicable.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• Justley3Justley3 Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by Rydesonme

Are you kidding? You forget this is WoW and the endgame hasnt changed in 3 years and isn't anytime soon. Thats a laugh though.

Gamer-4-Life

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I've read plenty of forum posts stating that you can pretty much go from 60-80 just doing instances, thanks to the dungeon finder. I doubt you'll be spending much time in Outlands at all, maybe the first 2-3 zones tops. Plus there's bound to be plenty of quests available in vanilla Azeroth as well that could easily carry you to 62-63 (if you don't mind doing green quests anyway).

I feel your pain though. HFP just sucks, and I'm not too fond of Zangarmarsh either. Although I think you can get a flying mount at 60 now, which would make both of those much easier.

Guess I'll find out when I roll my Worgen. Best of luck to ya.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

yeah you can fly at lvl 60 which makes leveling in zang retardedly fast. You pick up 25 quests and fly in a circle around the whole zone completing them. Takes about an hour. Pick up the next 25, rinse and repeat.

As far as offering more variety at endgame, um its wow. wow is a combat mmo. that being said, they offer a lot of combat oriented options for endgame ...raids, dungeons, battlegrounds, arenas. there is very little in terms of non combat activities at endgame. maybe fishing tournaments and collecting pets. the achievement system is a slap in the face, but thats a whole other topic.

there are other games im playing that offer many different types of endgame activities. but wow's combat endgame choices are very well done imo.

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

I always wondered how many times I killed the end boss in HP or the Nexus.. probably 100's of times.. 

easily checked on the statistics tab, but surely you know this already...

Originally posted by ormstunga

I always wondered how many times I killed the end boss in HP or the Nexus.. probably 100's of times.. 

easily checked on the statistics tab, but surely you know this already...

Problem is that I cancelled by account about a year ago, no way to access that character on the data...(aka armory)..  :)

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

... and still.. after 6 years, I have a single level 80 character and would not give a damn about raids (I did a Naxx10 and Sartharion)

Am I such a special unique snowflake? I think not, seeing the dazzling amount of people always present in the lowbie areas.

What I do all the time you say? Well, for one, I do not have much time to play. For second, I take my time when levelling, I do not rush, I might even train a tradeskill or two, meaning gaining level is quite slower than it could be, third, I roleplay and chat away many hours ( :P ) and fourth.. I have a fickle mind and get attracted to new ideas easily... For example now, after seeing how the Wildhammer representative looks in Ironforge, I have this image in my mind of Wildhammer Dwarf Shamans as Warhammer Troll Slayers.... mostly because of the tatooes I suppose.

WoW gives more variety than most I think, there is raiding, there is grouping for dungeons, there is battlegrounds, arenas, wintergrasp-like things, achievements, fishing competition etc. Name another game that has so many options at end game, cause for the most part I have seen they EITHER have a PvE component (LOtrO, EQ2) OR a PvP component (most sandbox games like EVE, MO, Darkfall but also WAR and DAoC etc).

Cataclysm starts with three times the amount of Raids that WoTlk had and a new Wintergrasp area plus 2 (or more) new battlefields... So it seems they are covered also in numbers of options inside each area.

Of course I do know Rydeson is quite set in his ways, but I just had some time to spare ^^

Have a nice day.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• DBGokuX4DBGokuX4 Member Posts: 41

There are some zones I didn't play in because of the optional leveling, and it's sad.  I think Outlands and Northrend are something you should have to always go through.  They'e wonderfully crafted and they give you more lore and sense of what WoW has.  I'm usually a one-toon guy, but I'd love to re-visit those areas.  I think Blizzard is kind of telling you to really grasp the landscape, because one day, some jerk dragon might alter it T_T...How can you hate Zanga or Hellfire?!  They're so cool. Every zone is unique and interesting, and a replay through gives you an opportunity to re-explore and see things you might have missed.  It's like watching a movie like "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" only once.  There's so much subtlety there, if you go back more and more you can appreciate the humor and content much more.  Granted some things don't deserve that revisiting, but WoW zones definitely do.  I flew through Northrend on a trial, wanting to experience it, and loved the ongoing random clan wars and beautiful landscapes.  If I return, I'll love seeing them again, and if I level another toon, I'd gladly go back through all the zones.  It's nostalgic!  But having to go through these zones isn't a bad thing...Why would you want to eliminate a piece of the world from the world of warcraft in leveling?  I think it's like hearing a song you used to love then forgot about, and it's a year later and are like..."I remember this song, it's so good!"  Then it's like new again.  That's me though.  Can't help it if people don't want to remember or keep seeing certain places.  Whether it's quests being too easy or content not wanted and questing to be easier, someone will always want what someone else doesn't...this is the case.

• DreamionDreamion Member UncommonPosts: 287

It's very simple, don't create new characters or, don't play WoW. Blizzard has already lost the game lore-wise and I would be amazed if they changed it so you didn't need to go to outland anymore, because that's a whole expansion, wasted.

Well Volk.. that is your opinion, and I have mine..   The fact that your posting history shows it very WoW focused, and you only have one 80th level character that never did a raid above Naxx in 6 years is all I need to know..   TY for your opinion and insight.. 

Happy Holidays

• I saw some blue post were they said they would change outland and northrend lvling, but they did not have time to get it ready for cataclysm launch.

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

Atleast wait 'til its live to start moaning about it

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL