Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOTR isn't the Middle Earth I want to see

The time of The Hobbit is the Middle Earth I want to adventure in. Lighter, yet more mysterious and seemingly full of unturned stones.

Comments

• scubastevescubasteve Member Posts: 31

Frogtet that! its basicly the same thing...

What about durring the reign of Morgoth and and when the sons of Fenor were at the height of their power... before the breaking of the world! though it WOULD be the coolest no one has read the Silmarillian...

I am OBviously a bigger nerd you

pwnt

• SideSwipeSideSwipe Member Posts: 44

Though your not enough of a fan to spell "Feanor" correctly

pwnt

• Billius8Billius8 Member Posts: 574

Originally posted by scubasteve

What about durring the reign of Morgoth and and when the sons of Fenor were at the height of their power... before the breaking of the world! though it WOULD be the coolest no one has read the Silmarillian...

What I meant is when I first read The Hobbit, Middle Earth seemed sunnier and older and more full of mystery.  When I read LOTR, it seemed darker and less fun.  I wish Tolkien had written a hundred smaller adventures like The Hobbit instead of LOTR.  (Yes, that's my wish.  How many wishes do I have left?  Two more, you say?)
  • j-monsterj-monster Member Posts: 1,060

Originally posted by Billius8

What I meant is when I first read The Hobbit, Middle Earth seemed sunnier and older and more full of mystery.  When I read LOTR, it seemed darker and less fun.  I wish Tolkien had written a hundred smaller adventures like The Hobbit instead of LOTR.  (Yes, that's my wish.  How many wishes do I have left?  Two more, you say?)

it was dark because the world was on the brink of apocolypse. but id rather it be in the first age or even in the Spring of Arda silmarrillion nerd will know what im talking about. this game is gonna rock.

Originally posted by SideSwipe

Though your not enough of a fan to spell "Feanor" correctly
    pwnt

300 million different names in that book, how am i supose to remember how to spell them all.

And pwnt is my sig, newb

pwnt

• SideSwipeSideSwipe Member Posts: 44

Sorry was only pointing out that others have in fact read the silmarillion. As for the newb comment, well i think we both may be newbs on these forums huh ?

Appologies to the original poster, i didn't mean to change the tone of the thread. I aggree that the Hobbit does have a different tone and feel to LOR, the Hobbit does feel lighter yet more mysterious. LOR on the other hand is altogether darker and more sad. I personally would like to see a mixture of the two styles incorporated within this game,a reeas around the Shire should have the light and innocent feel that may be found within the Hobbit. While other areas that have seen more evil should reflect this e.g osgiliath etc

Just my 2 cents

yeah yeah sorry as well

but as for the hobbit and LoTR if bilbo had journied to Rohan or Gondor the feel of the book would have change drasticly and wouldnt have been so "sunny." afterall, we all know how sheltered the shire folk are. Sauron had already started his comeback before the hobbit took place.

but i dont really think it matters, MEO is only making a small part of middle-earth playable at first and maybe more if the game lasts.

as for the spring of arda, face it, there is way too little content on the first age to make a mmo on (or the way they are making it), possibly even with the second age.

pwnt

• aeric67aeric67 Member UncommonPosts: 798

This is funny. People getting defensive over the comment "I must be a bigger nerd than you." LOL

Originally posted by aeric67

This is funny. People getting defensive over the comment "I must be a bigger nerd than you." LOL

"no! im a bigger nerd!"

pwnt

• j-monsterj-monster Member Posts: 1,060

yeah yeah sorry as well

but as for the hobbit and LoTR if bilbo had journied to Rohan or Gondor the feel of the book would have change drasticly and wouldnt have been so "sunny." afterall, we all know how sheltered the shire folk are. Sauron had already started his comeback before the hobbit took place.
    but i dont really think it matters, MEO is only making a small part of middle-earth playable at first and maybe more if the game lasts.
    as for the spring of arda, face it, there is way too little content on the first age to make a mmo on (or the way they are making it), possibly even with the second age.

whaat! dude the first age is were all the great stuff happend! Huge battles, great storys, hidden kingdoms. It could start with the coming of the men and go up from there right to the war of wrath. I think it would be awesome if they started in the first age and went all the way down to the end of the third.

yeah man im totally with you, that would be awsome but we dont have all the fine details like we do with the LoTR series to make game content. Those tolkien experts are whipping those Devs into into creating a tolkien game that is painfully strict to the books down to the last hobbit hole, from the sound of things.

ah well, we can dream

now i have to read the silmarillian again... you people

pwnt

• knutknut Member Posts: 46

I think it's better to make a game out of the "real" content, the LoTR Trilogy is seeded out from the books, and there are many who were very disappointed when the movies did hit the screens, yes the movies are great made, but there's just too much left out.

The Dev.'s will make a great game out of the books, I have no doubt in that, just think about the tons of more content that the books carry.

Painfully strict maybe, but also painfully perfect image

MEO forever image

• NightMartyrNightMartyr Member Posts: 5

knut rules.

• GambinoGambino Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by Billius8

The time of The Hobbit is the Middle Earth I want to adventure in. Lighter, yet more mysterious and seemingly full of unturned stones.

Gee, I wonder how long it was between the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings... looks like it was less than eighty years!  My, how the world of Arda, that has been existence for ages, changes so much in eighty years! 

What you are talking about is the tone of the story, and I assure you that you can MAKE your own adventure with your OWN tone when this comes out.

• yourallsmallyourallsmall Member Posts: 3

THE HOBBIT AND THE LOTR ARE NOTHING IN COMPARISON TO THE SILMARILLION, I MEAN YOU WOULD GET TO GO TO ANGBAND AND SEE MELKOR / MORGOTH. AND SEE THE FATHER OF DRAGONS GLAURUNG AND THE GENERAL OF THE BALROGS (GOTHMOG) AND DONT GET ME STARTED ON THE VALLAR AND THE MAIAR, OR HOW BOUT UNGOL HOHOHO,
    THE POSIBILITIES OF THE SILMARILLION ARE ENDLESS

You will never get another today tomorrow

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Originally posted by yourallsmall

THE HOBBIT AND THE LOTR ARE NOTHING IN COMPARISON TO THE SILMARILLION, I MEAN YOU WOULD GET TO GO TO ANGBAND AND SEE MELKOR / MORGOTH. AND SEE THE FATHER OF DRAGONS GLAURUNG AND THE GENERAL OF THE BALROGS (GOTHMOG) AND DONT GET ME STARTED ON THE VALLAR AND THE MAIAR, OR HOW BOUT UNGOL HOHOHO,
    THE POSIBILITIES OF THE SILMARILLION ARE ENDLESS

All caps makes you look like an idiot. No offense.
  • DarktaniaDarktania Member Posts: 805

Dude the Silmarillion was like a mythology book for the Middle Earth. And besides it was in my opinion extremely boring. I had a hard time reading it.

Darktania

Dont be afraid of the Dark. Be afraid of what's in it.

• TaosTaos Member Posts: 5

A game based off The Hobbit wouldn't be as full of a world as it would be with the Lord of The Rings. The Hobbit only discuss about 10% of Middle Earth. I would much rather have a larger world to explore.

• lediasledias Member Posts: 29

they should just fricken put all of the books together so ugys would shut up ... image 

we should all be friends to join the last alliance of free men to save earth from a new but hidden enemy...............i d k

i thought people could spell

• lediasledias Member Posts: 29

Originally posted by ledias

they should just fricken put all of the books together so ugys would shut up ... image 
    we should all be friends to join the last alliance of free men to save earth from a new but hidden enemy...............i d k

hehe i quote me self

i thought people could spell

• asdfasdf Member Posts: 4

muhahahahhhahahaha lotr it cracks me up u guys arguing over this why dont u guys just go and make them change it hehe   seriouly i hate u guys but i like my name               

(" (^.^) /")                                           

get off

• stav1stav1 Member Posts: 282

I think when this mmorpg is released, you will find that it makes a mockery of the world created by Tolkien.

This game will not be LOTR, will not be the Hobbit or the Similarion - it'll be another grind without any of the creativity of the books.

• holycannoliholycannoli Member Posts: 236

The Hobbit has a certain adventurous feel that LOTR didn't have except for the very beginning (the old forest and the barrow downs). That's because Tolkien took time off after beginning LOTR to finish The Silmarillion, and when he returned to LOTR it took on a whole new feel.

I suspect this game will have a bit of both books in it. But it doesn't have pvp or evil playable races :(

• GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657

Well turbine does have the license to the hobbit along with the lord of the rings, and not the silmarillion so no first or second age, But they can employ things from the hobbit into the game. Face it there is not much written in LOTR about the shire or mirkwood or the lonely mountain, but in the hobbit there is plenty to draw from. Also it is explained in LOTR that mirkwood was under the influence of darkness that gandalf and the other wizards during the time of the hobbit chased out of mirkwood, which turned out to be sauron who fled from there back to mordor.

So the hobbit wasn't all sunshine and romping around in the meadows. It was more of a adventure cause the is what it was bilbo's adventure, and also the ground work for LOTR, It was in the hobbit that the ring is found again, gollum is unleashed into the world cause of his hatred for bilbo.

imageimage