Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 2010 Awards: New Game of the Year

Comments

• CrashrollCrashroll Member UncommonPosts: 60

Perpetuum for the best beta ever (for me). Was thinking about Global Agenda, it did offer some fun, and good value. but it's fun for few hours a week, when Perpetuum was...is something that I could see myself playing for long time.

Not tonight dear...I have a haddock!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Sad you have such a mediocre lineup for new game of the year honors.  I finally had to select Perpetuum.  At least they have a unique style and I like to support indie studios that like to stretch the genre some.

If you voted for Vindictus, it is NOT a MMO and should not be on this list.  If Vindictus wins, I will again point that out.

You guys really need to get over this odd perception that MMO means EQ/WOW world design. Massively Multiplayer Online Game... don't over think it, bro.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DiekfooDiekfoo Member Posts: 583

Voted MO, even thou 2011 that will definitely be the year for MO. 

• KorithianKorithian Member Posts: 243

It will be sad when none of the above wins.

I'm not sure if this says that expectations are way to high or all those games sucked. What makes even less sence is that in a year where the big player WoW was working on an expansion leaving the playing field open to games trying to win over some bored wow player none of the big names delievered either producting rubbish or having their releases in 2011.

• TsukieUTsukieU Member Posts: 559

Seems like this list was lined up to give FF14 or None of the Above the most votes.

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

i dont understand why theres a "none of the above" option at all really, it has to be one of those games since they are the ones running for the award. If you dont care enoguh about them to vote then you simply dont vote you dont make a poll option for people to not vote.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

The exact following words have probably already been stated, but who was the idiot that put FF14 up there. You may as well put APB up there. 

• GormokGormok Member Posts: 379

Im sorry i had to vote none of the above, i had high hopes for FF14, but it turned out to be just horrible. Im not going to get into the train wreck that STO was. As far as Vin goes if i wanted to play a hack and slash i would play DW6

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985

Originally posted by deathshroud

i dont understand why theres a "none of the above" option at all really, it has to be one of those games since they are the ones running for the award. If you dont care enoguh about them to vote then you simply dont vote you dont make a poll option for people to not vote.

No... I hope that this sends a strong message that the gaming community as a whole is tired of having to choose between a game with a bad concept and a game with horrendous bugs and bad implementation of a good concept.

Maybe.. just maybe it will influence some of the games due out NEXT year.. to take the extra few months in beta and make a game that you can be proud on on launch day.  This is why I am hopeful for next year.  RIFT is actually advertising that their game will be fully polished on day one.   Regardless of whether or not I like the gameplay... that can only have a positive effect on it's competition. 

TLDR:  It's time we start to raise the bar of what we will accept and start to expect fully functional titles AT LAUNCH.. that are based on GOOD concepts.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KeptKept Member Posts: 22

2010 was a year of poor games and releases, devoid of innovation, punctuated by half-finished releases and disappointments......

Thanks to MMORPG for including the "None of the above" option.

Time for consumers to send a clear message. ;-P

• OdazlandOdazland Member Posts: 1

Starvault still gots to work alot on MO... but the game is already groundbreaking. You cant compare none of the other games on this list with MO. My vote = Mortal Online.

• ange10ange10 Member Posts: 307

Voted mortal online because all the other games are just  copies that been down year after year.

• Deathwing980Deathwing980 Member UncommonPosts: 80

most of these games were interesting but they were let downs in my personal opinion, they did not keep what most had promised in the original release notes and that really made me sad... some of the gameplays for each game have been modified since the alphas and that kinda also turned me off...

voted none of the above, maybe there will be another game out there someday that will make me vote it 10/10 but alas... not many games these days are as grand as the old schools

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

Holding off reviewing FF XIV, because reading between the lines of the statement they made, they won't review it until they can give it a good score.  Now its listed under the options for this.   Come on MMORPG.COM, it shouldn't even be up for consideration.  A terrible year for MMOs, but this falls under the PoS of the millennium.

• BecharaBechara Member UncommonPosts: 32

Voted none of the above, even though I've heard from friends Perpetuum is decent.  Most of the others i've played and was extremely disappointed.  Next years release schedule is SUPER deep with GW2, TOR, and Rift... and it just feels like these MMO's were rushed out this year because they have no chance against next years releases.

• zereelistzereelist Member Posts: 373

LOL @ Mortal Online as a nominee.  I voted none of the above.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by elocke

Thank you SO much for the None of the Above option!  Sad to say, but not one of those games even remotely impressed me this year, hence why I had to vote none of the above.

Exactly. Sad year for MMOs.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

No... I hope that this sends a strong message that the gaming community as a whole is tired of having to choose between a game with a bad concept and a game with horrendous bugs and bad implementation of a good concept.

Maybe.. just maybe it will influence some of the games due out NEXT year.. to take the extra few months in beta and make a game that you can be proud on on launch day.  This is why I am hopeful for next year.  RIFT is actually advertising that their game will be fully polished on day one.   Regardless of whether or not I like the gameplay... that can only have a positive effect on it's competition. 

TLDR:  It's time we start to raise the bar of what we will accept and start to expect fully functional titles AT LAUNCH.. that are based on GOOD concepts.

Polish isn't everything.  "More of the same" has been a huge criticism over the last few years.

You're fooling yourself if you think that every game that comes out next year won't be torn apart by a significant subset of the MMO community, for all the same "valid" and "truthful" reasons (which is to say, reasons based on personal opinion) they've been using for years.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

What the hell is the point of "None of the Above"?

THAT ONE IS GOING TO WIN THE MOST VOTES.

The majority of people here hates every game they play.  They'll choose the most negative option rather than choose an actual game.

MMORPG.com Staff.... You guys make no sense.

(I voted Vindictus)

• fallup11fallup11 Member Posts: 27

Vote Global Agenda I've never seen a devolper listen to there customers as much as them. They've changed so much and have been adding sooo much to the game. That who I voted for...u should to

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985

Originally posted by Rohn

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Polish isn't everything.  "More of the same" has been a huge criticism over the last few years.

You're fooling yourself if you think that every game that comes out next year won't be torn apart by a significant subset of the MMO community, for all the same "valid" and "truthful" reasons (which is to say, reasons based on personal opinion) they've been using for years.

I'm fooling no one as you only took 1/2 of my statement to try and make your point.

I said that we need to start raising the bar of what we will accept and start to accept fully functional titles AT LAUNCH that are based on GOOD concepts.   The "None of the Above" vote IMHO will send a strong message that the community as a whole is unsatisfied with the poor crop of games that were pushed on us this year.

And not ALL "valid" and "truthful" reasons are personal opinion.  If a game doesn't run at launch for a significant portion of players.. that's a fact. not an opinion.   When a developer says "We know the game isn't finished but we just don't have the money to finish"... it's a FACT that the game needed more development... there is no opinion involved.

I dont like First (Third)  Person games... is an opinion. Or I don't like tab (twitch) target in a game.   Or the game is a buggy mess but it has potential.   Those are opinions.

Similarly.. stating that None of the Above games deserves to be named Game of the Year is an opinion.  I played 4 of those games this year and IMHO it would be a shame to reward any of them with an award.  I'm glad that MMORPG.COM is giving us a chance to voice that opinion.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• PsylicePsylice Member Posts: 3

I never knew None of the Above would be such a great title. It has more content than the other nominees. The list they gave us to vote on should have been called over hyped game of the year award. Star Trek was near  un playable . Legos is small and unwieldy. I do not know where the MMORPG world is going, developers are wanting to WoW the masses with graphics and discarding any playability. I think we need another catagory to vote on...what would players like to see in a game. I am sure we could all add our 2 cents worth to that.

• gauge2k3gauge2k3 Member Posts: 442

The listing for new game of the year makes me sad.  All these games are pretty bad.  I chose vindictus.  Probably the only one you get what you pay for.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

'None of The Above' for me. I either haven't played those listed, or have and don't feel strongly enough to vote for them.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• gauge2k3gauge2k3 Member Posts: 442

The question here is, if none of the above wins, do they not hand out the award?  Or does it go to second best.  Because if it goes to second best, you all just wasted your vote.