Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA / BioWare Reconfims 2011 Launch

13»

Comments

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

LA is the main people you go to when you make a star wars game, not going to them is likely to result in some kind of lawsuit and (though i'm not positive) they hold the rights to the star wars franchise. They are the to go people about star wars. Regardless of the title, if its star wars related, you go to LA, kinda like when you make a super mario game, you go to nintendo.

If you want money EA is the go to people as they are one of the biggest publishers, they have their hand in a ton of games, not just MMOs.

LA just makes sure it fits the star wars lore and feel.

Ea just gives the money and hopes they will get their money back and preferably in spades.

The ideas, the ways its done, everything, like the coding and graphics that we have to worry about is done by BW, 

The only content i'm aware of that isn't being developed by BW is the PvP which is developed by Mythic, which did a dang good job on PVP in their two games they released.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• ZERMINUSZERMINUS Member Posts: 241

Originally posted by whilan

LA is the main people you go to when you make a star wars game, not going to them is likely to result in some kind of lawsuit and (though i'm not positive) they hold the rights to the star wars franchise. They are the to go people about star wars. Regardless of the title, if its star wars related, you go to LA, kinda like when you make a super mario game, you go to nintendo.

If you want money EA is the go to people as they are one of the biggest publishers, they have their hand in a ton of games, not just MMOs.

LA just makes sure it fits the star wars lore and feel.

Ea just gives the money and hopes they will get their money back and preferably in spades.

The ideas, the ways its done, everything, like the coding and graphics that we have to worry about is done by BW, 

The only content i'm aware of that isn't being developed by BW is the PvP which is developed by Mythic, which did a dang good job on PVP in their two games they released.

"The ideas, the ways its done, everything, like the coding and graphics that we have to worry about is done by BW, "

Well, yes and no. While Bioware codes, colours, designs and animates the game and orivudes the tactical content, LA decides on the strategic content - ie. the overall experience they want in place to get the demographic that LA wants to hit. LA is all about marketing Star Wars; not just the games but the films, the dolls, the comics etc. SO LA decides how and when the game will be launched, for example. On the other side is EA. EA is all about the revenue stream. They won't want the best game available, they will want the most profit effective game available which is not the same thing. We will see if LA's martketing imperatives and EA's revenue objectives can be reconciled by Bioware in a game that is also fun to play in the long term.

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

And at the head of LA is George Lucas, the anti-corporate hypocrite. Nothing gets into Star Wars lore without his personal consent. I'm surprised that Bioware actually chose to do another Star Wars game, much less an mmo. They've said before they don't like working with IP's that aren't their own. Hopefully they do make a good game despite LA and EA.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Originally posted by skeptical

So we got lucas arts, the same people that gave us SWG. 

Yea... and over 100 other Star Wars related games.  Do you also hate all dairy food products, because once you drank sour milk?

EA the same people that brought us warhammer online.

This is absolutely incorrect.  Mythic developed Warhammer Online completely in-house.  I was in beta before they were acquired by EA, the game did not change at all after EA came into the picture. 

Honestly EA's take over was actually a good thing for the game because Mythic was going to have to release WAR even more unfinished than it did before the influx of EA money let them have more development time before release.

Bioware is mostly about console games so I have a hard time thinking this game is going to be a successfull MMO.

Yea again, you're completely incorrect here.  Bioware is one of the last great PC game development companies.  9 of their games were released for PC only.  Also every game they have released for console was also released on PC.  Also TOR is being developed for PC only.

This has shameless money grab written all over it. How many more MMO's are we going to have to put up with that just try and use name recognition to sell garbage games? I guess we could hope these companies learned from past failures but I'm not going to bet on it.

Yea, except for the fact that Bioware's KOTOR is one of the most critically acclaimed RPGs of all time and some consider it to be the best Star Wars based game ever made.

I just have to wonder when I see a post like this.  You really should do just 2 minutes of research to avoid posting complete lies like this.  I would report you for trolling, but I actually think you believe this garbage.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

Cause they said fiscal year 2012, you can pretty much expect it to come out in Q4.... so anytime from..... october-december of 2011 is a good guess. 

Originally posted by BarakIII

And at the head of LA is George Lucas, the anti-corporate hypocrite. Nothing gets into Star Wars lore without his personal consent. I'm surprised that Bioware actually chose to do another Star Wars game, much less an mmo. They've said before they don't like working with IP's that aren't their own. Hopefully they do make a good game despite LA and EA.

No one knows for sure just how much control George has of the stuff sent out in his name at the edges of his empire. But Bioware certainly did not like working with LA the first time around or so it was rumoured - I suspect that was why the second Kotor (which no-one ever seems to mention here) was farmed out to Obsidian and released as a mix of great elements and disastrous flaws.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by ZERMINUS

No one knows for sure just how much control George has of the stuff sent out in his name at the edges of his empire. But Bioware certainly did not like working with LA the first time around or so it was rumoured - I suspect that was why the second Kotor (which no-one ever seems to mention here) was farmed out to Obsidian and released as a mix of great elements and disastrous flaws.

Citation needed or it is just your opinion.

I can do that too. "The sky is green!" That's my opinion but that doesn't make it true.

BW publically said they wanted to work on Jade Empire (their own IP) so they recommended Obsidian for the sequel.

If you want to call BW 'liars' then go ahead, don't let me stop you. :)

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by jpnz

I can do that too. "The sky is green!" That's my opinion but that doesn't make it true.

BW publically said they wanted to work on Jade Empire (their own IP) so they recommended Obsidian for the sequel.

'Citation needed'? LOL.

It's all clearly laid out here:

http://forums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?forum=41&topic=595021

and then reinforced here:

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=643439&forum=41&sp=0

'Citation needed'? LOL.

Can i get a page number or something, i don't feel like scaning through 150 so odd pages to look for info.

Know what? never mind, don't worry about looking it up. This is off topic anyway, if you want to make a topic to discuss this then we can go back and forth.

As for the release date? i'm still of the mind of thinking it's going to be early-mid next year.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

'Citation needed'? LOL.

And..... the thread is linked to a press release of BW entering an agreement with Lucas Arts.

Which is such a huge surprise since BW is making a star wars game! /Sarcasm

Where is this 'BW did not like working with LA' you mentioned again?

I mean surely it is 'clearly laid out' right?

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

'Citation needed'? LOL.

And..... the thread is linked to a press release of BW entering an agreement with Lucas Arts.

Which is such a huge surprise since BW is making a star wars game! /Sarcasm

Where is this 'BW did not like working with LA' you mentioned again?

I mean surely it is 'clearly laid out' right?

Don't be lazy. You demanded 'citation' and I gave it to you. I can't spoonfeed you. Post again when you've actually read through both links.

You expect us to go through 150 pages of conversation to find one tidbit of information? you can't even give us a page number? your the one with the burden of proof here, you gotta show us, point to us where it is. We aren't going to do what could be an hours worth of research to prove ourselves wrong.

Okay misuse of words, no you don't gotta do it.

But seriously. whats so wrong with a page number? why do i have to search through the forest for a twig with a note on it when you know exactly where that note is?

You don't work for me but if you want to have a realistic discussion, then the citation needs to point to the fact, not just a thread with a 100+ pages on it. Get us in the area first. We aren't even saying your wrong or asking for a post number. Just get us in the area so we can find it.

Originally posted by whilanugh 150 pages of conversation to find one tidbit of information? you can't even give us a page number? your the one with the burden of proof here, you gotta show us, point to us where it is. We aren't going to do what could be an hours worth of research to prove ourselves wrong.

Aaaah, I see where your mistake is. No , I don't 'gotta' do anything. You see, and I don't know quite how to tell you this, I don;t work for you. You wanted citation, you've got it. It's not my fault if you're too indolent to digest the evidence.

What I am really seeing is someone that got caught and can't seem to back out without looking like a liar so he invents a larger one. Lets take a logical look at what ZERMINUS posted so far.

He posted:

But Bioware certainly did not like working with LA the first time around or so it was rumoured - I suspect that was why the second Kotor (which no-one ever seems to mention here) was farmed out to Obsidian and released as a mix of great elements and disastrous flaws.

Notice the red text?

Now if there really was a citation he won't say 'it was rumoured' would he? He would not have put that phrase in at all.

Now lets look at the green text. Even though he doesn't have any factual information he 'suspects' another thing based on a rumour that no one can find (and he refuses to give the specifics).

Now I ask 'got any proof' and I get a 150 page forum thread that has a Press Release of BW and LA having an agreement.

Which wouldn't have something like 'We don't like working for LA' in the first place!

Yes a public company is going to say bad things about another company they just signed a contract with. /Sarcasm.

I mean c'mon. This is child's play.

Gdemami -

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

My guess is that we'll start to hear much more about this game in January or February.  They were probably waiting for WoW to release their expansion, knowing all attention would be placed on Cata.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

Originally posted by whilanugh 150 pages of conversation to find one tidbit of information? you can't even give us a page number? your the one with the burden of proof here, you gotta show us, point to us where it is. We aren't going to do what could be an hours worth of research to prove ourselves wrong.

Aaaah, I see where your mistake is. No , I don't 'gotta' do anything. You see, and I don't know quite how to tell you this, I don;t work for you. You wanted citation, you've got it. It's not my fault if you're too indolent to digest the evidence.

What I am really seeing is someone that got caught and can't seem to back out without looking like a liar so he invents a larger one. Lets take a logical look at what ZERMINUS posted so far.

He posted:

But Bioware certainly did not like working with LA the first time around or so it was rumoured - I suspect that was why the second Kotor (which no-one ever seems to mention here) was farmed out to Obsidian and released as a mix of great elements and disastrous flaws.

Notice the red text?

Now if there really was a citation he won't say 'it was rumoured' would he? He would not have put that phrase in at all.

Now lets look at the green text. Even though he doesn't have any factual information he 'suspects' another thing based on a rumour that no one can find (and he refuses to give the specifics).

Now I ask 'got any proof' and I get a 150 page forum thread that has a Press Release of BW and LA having an agreement.

Which wouldn't have something like 'We don't like working for LA' in the first place!

Yes a public company is going to say bad things about another company they just signed a contract with. /Sarcasm.

I mean c'mon. This is child's play.

I don't often agree with Zerm, but I think he's right on this. No, bioware didn't come right out and say they hate working with LA, but they did come out and say that it was difficult working with another companies IP (LA wasn't specifically mentioned, but it was right after KOTOR so it doesn't take much to put two and two together). Basically it appeared that Bioware wanted a bit more artistic freedom than Lucas Arts was willing to give them. That's not to say that one or the other of them was wrong, but rather it points out the difficulties of working with someone else's intellectual property.

• stamps79stamps79 Member Posts: 233

I'm really excited about this launch, it's good to see it's coming of next year.  I do hope for a Mid Spring launch.

Wildstar (2013) & Elder Scroll Online (2013)

Playing: Diablo 3, WOW, Far Cry 3 & X-Com.

Enjoyed: WOW 5 1/2 yrs, LOTRO 3yrs, GW 1/2yr, DFO 1yr, EVE Online 3yrs, and Huxley (Beta).

Failed to impress: GW2 3months, Tera Online 6 months (best combat system in any MMO I've played) STO 1/4yr, Aion 1/2yr, AoC 1yr, CO, Fallen Earth, DDO, EQ2 1/2yr, WAR 1/2yr, Lineage 2 and FF XI 1/2yr, FF XIV.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Lets get back on topic and cut out the baiting.