Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ild like a mech mmo that plays like mw3 did in combat

like the title says, ild love a good mech/battletech style mmo

long range lasers

magnetic rail gun guass rifles

heavy damage close range regular/shotgun cannons

particle projection weapons (lightning guns)

and missiles that can be shot down by anti missile systems in route to target (either laser based that burn power and make heat of ammo based that have limited shots, or be able to mount some of each!)

multiple hit detection sectors, arms get shot off when damaged enough, legs too, lose both legs and well, youre buggered, get shot by a big enough blast to the cockpit such that the armor fails, game over, no ejection, gotta wait for clone to be brought up to speed!

jump jet capable bots for scouting

big heavy slow ones bristling with guns and armor to defend and assault things

moderate sizes for flexible combat scenarios!

perpetuum had potential, they had guass and regular guns, lasers and missiles, but in that game you dont aim, its eve style lock and auto fire, so that wont do.  the game needs to have a reticle that moves with the mouse/joystick like in mw3 and the weapons follow it, missiles being the weapon that will track to target once locked.

also they could incorporate a system similar to potbs control area, multiple planets in the sector with various factory facilities in the warzone of your choice, tons of potential here for pvp.

Comments

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Mechwarrior is very cool. It's fun to play missions, and PvP. But I've always wondered if it was appropriate for an MMO.

Most MMO's have a large variety of things to fight. A MW MMO would likely just have Mechs (what else can stand up to a mech?). I'm not sure I would be interested in constantly questing and xp'ing, doing nothing but fighting mechs over and over.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Yea but the universe was versitile in that respect.  You couldn't take a 20-ton mech against an Atlas.  You couldn't take a mech without anti-missile capabilities against something like a MadCat.

Rather than having creature types you have a TON of mech types. That is without including the Quads, VTOLs, Hovercrafts, Anti-Mech personnel, etc.  Rather than gaining ranks you just increase your piloting abilities.  The more creds, the better you can outfit your mech.  I think it's a GENIOUS idea and minus the floating of the IP, wish it'd stay someplace long enough because I know a LOT of people are jones'ing for some Inner Sphere v. Clan combat

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I don't think a MW style MMO actually exists. I could see a MW style universe working as a sandbox similar to Perpetuum or Eve. You could have out of mech character development as well - they need to train and build up to decent mechs. Drive delivery transports, etc. Would be cool...but I don't think it exists.

The Warhammer 40k coming out should have giant mechs but I don't know how they'll be integrated into the universe, or when they might come out even with a beta.

* edit * According to Wikipedia, the Battlemech/Mechwarrior franchises had or are having some legal issues with the Robotech franchise because of the similarity in the mechs. Also, MechWarrior 4 is working towards a free release. I believe some of the Microsoft people who worked on it are using their free time to build it and get it out the door.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

Mechwarrior is very cool. It's fun to play missions, and PvP. But I've always wondered if it was appropriate for an MMO.

Most MMO's have a large variety of things to fight. A MW MMO would likely just have Mechs (what else can stand up to a mech?). I'm not sure I would be interested in constantly questing and xp'ing, doing nothing but fighting mechs over and over.

Not to mention, twitch just doesn't work in a real MMO.

I can't remember if that "broken steel" (or whatever the name was of that crappy mech MMO from NCSoft) had twitch mechanics or not.

I'd just love for a new Mechwarrior game to come out, and with multiplayer.  LOVED those games.  Funny how they better conveyed the size and weight of the machines than all the Microsoft versions afterward.  Actually, MW and MWII were better.  Even the Super Nintendo game beat the MS games.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Originally posted by lizardbones

I don't think a MW style MMO actually exists. I could see a MW style universe working as a sandbox similar to Perpetuum or Eve. You could have out of mech character development as well - they need to train and build up to decent mechs. Drive delivery transports, etc. Would be cool...but I don't think it exists.

* edit * According to Wikipedia, the Battlemech/Mechwarrior franchises had or are having some legal issues with the Robotech franchise because of the similarity in the mechs. Also, MechWarrior 4 is working towards a free release. I believe some of the Microsoft people who worked on it are using their free time to build it and get it out the door.

Who wants to play a game about war and 'mechs, and then pilot a delivery transport?  Not many.

The legal issues occurred a while back.  I think only Mechwarrior 1 had the infringing 'mech types.

Interesting to hear MW4 is going free.  I was one of the Microsoft people who worked on it too, coincidentally.  Although looking at the MekTek roster (and bios) it doesn't sound like any of them were actually at MS or FASA for MW4's development.  Sounds like they were modders or community people.  Still, it's excellent that they've released it, I heard about this a few years back (when it sounded like the project was gonna get shut down by MS I think?)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Originally posted by Axehilt

Originally posted by lizardbones
    Who wants to play a game about war and 'mechs, and then pilot a delivery transport?  Not many.
    The legal issues occurred a while back.  I think only Mechwarrior 1 had the infringing 'mech types.
    Interesting to hear MW4 is going free.  I was one of the Microsoft people who worked on it too, coincidentally.  Although looking at the MekTek roster (and bios) it doesn't sound like any of them were actually at MS or FASA for MW4's development.  Sounds like they were modders or community people.  Still, it's excellent that they've released it, I heard about this a few years back (when it sounded like the project was gonna get shut down by MS I think?)

Maybe that's what it was. Microsoft just gave an "OK" to actually publish it for free. It's as close as you're going to get to MW combat online as far as I know.

I was just giving examples. You have to fill an MMO out with something. As far as delivery missions, I would expect it to involve some sort of attack/escape scenario rather than just dropping stuff off pizza delivery guy style. :-)

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

mw 3 msn lobbies was where it was at

we all had dial up back then, so you had to dial in your lag pings to find headshot sweetspots

we had leagues and it was basically a pen and paper mmo using the lobbie battles to decide who owned what and thus what factorys they got and thus what mechs they could field in future fights

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

Ok, so I know its not MW3, or the Battletech IP...but, has anyone tried Perpetuum yet?

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/438/Perpetuum.html

I have been seriously debating trying it, so far all I have heard is it delivers what it promisses, and it has the highest rating on this site of any MMORPG.

I am a serious Battletech junkie from back in the day, and every MW game in between, but so far this looks very promissing. Here are a couple vids of the combat I found recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e6eR1K5HMg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksGqdKp5qps

Just a thought anyway huh.

Oh and just curious, we used to say you could tell a man by the mech he runs. I always preferred the classic Grasshopper, how about you?

• Blackfire1Blackfire1 Member UncommonPosts: 116

I've been a MekTek community member for years. I'll give you some intel.

1. MekTek group patched MW4 and added (for lack of a better phrase) metric ass ton of mech designs and content. Including all the "unseen" classifications. (Legally desputed mechs by the SDF Macross people/Harmonygold) They alone have keep the game alive. Where Microsoft shat on the project once it moved its sites onto Xbox.

2. Smith and Tinker (Fasa under a new name) managed to get all the Old Fasa IP's from M$. I repeat. M$ DOES NOT OWN ANY LEGAL RIGHTS TO ANY FASA IP. Thats good news. Smith&Tinker, seeing the work and effort MekTek put into keeping Battletech and Mechwarrior alive, gave MekTek permission to release MW4 for free and all its custom content to the masses as a sign of appreciation.

3.Did I mention M$ has no claim on FASA Ips? That includes Crimson Skys, Shadowrun, Battletech.

4. There was a BattleTech/Mechwarrior MMO called Battletech 3025. Took place Pre-clans. It was dropped by EA when they were what Activision is today.

5. The only "mech" MMO that exists is planetside's BFR's, (I know. Not really Mechish) Metal Rage is in production though. Looks kinda cross between heavy gear/Chromehounds/and Tf2 :P

Exteel was shut nown world wide permanently.

6. I don't know what happened to the Chromehounds PC patition. Sorry.

7. All the "unseen" mech types were redesigned to be able to be reproduced. I'm not sure why they used all the old models for the trailer.(warhammer)

*Edit*

I generally ran Hellhound, Light armor, lots of AC.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Originally posted by ScribZ

Ok, so I know its not MW3, or the Battletech IP...but, has anyone tried Perpetuum yet?

I've played Perpetuum and its a mini robot piloting type mmo and doesn't even come close to feeling like being in a mech. Things like locational damage, player collision detection, active evasion, and a scale that makes you feel large are extremely important elements to captivate the mech feel that Perpetuum simply does not have.

indeed perpetuum is just eve in a new skin

bland

stale

fail

Originally posted by neorandom
    indeed perpetuum is just eve in a new skin

bland

stale

fail

Not really the place for this discussion, but it's not Eve in a new skin. It's also not MechWarrior. You do get to pilot a robot...but it won't feel like MechWarrior at all.

• HekketHekket Member Posts: 905

I just couldn't get into mw3 like I could with mw2 and mw4. I don't get it.

Mw4 was by far the most action oriented verison mechwarrior.

Meh w/e.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

A mech/tech MMO would be great.. and if done right I would play it from Day 1..  However it seems that many companies that have toyed with doing such a game start off very much "niche" and fail.. That niche being twitch FPS PvP style..  I"ve played planetside and IMO, it's just too agrivating to enjoy.. So my computer isn't an Alienware super D duper maxed out system, and my IPS isn't the best in the world.. Why pay a monthly sub to get owned in a twitch game.. See the problem?

Make the game a traditional target and auto attack,  run by the computers..  Have different classes (Mechs) with a variety of upgrades to strive for as our charater develops, and have a worthy game world that is filled with quest, dynamic events and enttertaining PvP.. However keep the game a PvE game as the focus..

there would be plenty of pve locking down local npc governments as you take worlds in a battletech mmo, but theres also going to be pvp between the sphere and clans, and its not supposed to be balanced either, sphere has raw numbers and factories.  clan has genetically engineered super troops with better tech mechs but are invading from far beyond their home worlds in another galaxy, so they need to capture and adapt new facilities on arrival, and the sphere can capture their tech in return, and even the clans code of honor can lead to captured warriors fighting for the sphere if taken alive.

• Scubie67Scubie67 Member UncommonPosts: 462

I am just hoping the Reboot of MW still comes out for now before even thinking about a MMO .If the Reboot falls through it will probably kill off any other gaming versions MW

ya those rabid robotech fan boys need to give up the ghost, no one wants to make games based on their anime, let us have our mechs that they borrowed from battletech in the first place in peace!

ps i really wanna dominate noobs with a kodiak, or a Vehement with its mighty particle edge battle axe