Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scientists find new life on earth thought impossible to exist

This is an amazing discovery.

Scientists have found a life-form that is built from an element that until now was thought impossible. 

http://gizmodo.com/5704158/nasa-finds-new-life

" The reason is that all life on Earth is made of six components: Carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and sulfur. Every being, from the smallest amoeba to the largest whale, share the same life stream. Our DNA blocks are all the same.

That was true until today. In a surprising revelation, NASA scientist Felisa Wolfe-Simon and her team have found a bacteria whose DNA is completely alien to what we know today, working differently than the rest of the organisms in the planet. Instead of using phosphorus, the newly discovered microorganism—called GFAJ-1 and found in Mono Lake, California—uses the poisonous arsenic for its building blocks. "

" The implications of this discovery are enormous to our understanding of life itself and the possibility of finding organisms in other planets that don't have to be like planet Earth. Like NASA's Ed Weiler says: "The definition of life has just expanded."

" NASA's geobiologist Pamela Conrad thinks that the discovery is huge and "phenomenal," comparing it to the Star Trek episode in which the Enterprise crew finds Horta, a silicon-based alien life form that can't be detected with tricorders because it wasn't carbon-based. It's like saying that we may be looking for new life in the wrong places with the wrong methods. Indeed, NASA tweeted that this discovery "will change how we search for life elsewhere in the Universe."

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
"The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

Comments

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

I watched the NASA presentation yesterday, pure epic stuff.

Seems as we need to begin to draw a second "tree of life" in the earths evolutionary history.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Arsenic eh?

Well, I welcome the pandemic disease to come from this discovery. Yay armageddon.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

Wow, I knew the government cut back on NASA's budget, but I had no idea the agency would have to resort to looking for alien life on our own planet.  At least they made the most of it.

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248

Originally posted by GTwander

Arsenic eh?

Well, I welcome the pandemic disease to come from this discovery. Yay armageddon.

lol yeah. All of this is conditioning. They are trying to plant seeds of thought into peoples head that aliens exist and they can help us all. ect ect ect.

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

These bacteria arent actually new. Rather they discovered they could function in a way they didn't realize. They knew about this kind of bacteria for ages.

• SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700

"And the only way to kill them is with Head and Shoulders"

What I expected at least.

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

Originally posted by SHOE788

"And the only way to kill them is with Head and Shoulders"

What I expected at least.

lol.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• n25phillyn25philly Member Posts: 1,317

Originally posted by Zindaihas

Wow, I knew the government cut back on NASA's budget, but I had no idea the agency would have to resort to looking for alien life on our own planet.  At least they made the most of it.

Their budget got cut because they waste so much money.  If they wanted to find alien life on Earth they should have just rolled up to the nearest Walmart

member of imminst.org