Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need advice on my problem

cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

I bought this complete guild wars collection from Amazon. I already have one account before this that has only prophecies on it. Now this complete collection comes with only one key to activate all the 4 games. My problem is that my husband had originally wanted to use the extra copy of prophecies to make another account and play with me. Now because of this one key we have only one account if I choose to upgrade my existing old account with the added games.

I have 3 level 9 characters I know not that high but I really do not want to start over again plus since I am the one who usually plays these games much more than my husband who tends to give up halfway. So I do not want to just give him my older account and start over from scratch. The older account also has 20 minipets.

Aside from losing my 3 characters and their to die for names do you think I should start over and with regards to the Hall of Monuments or would it be better for me to stick to my older account and apply the code to that ?

Chamber of Chains

Comments

• Dev_NightsDev_Nights Member Posts: 67

Well, I would start over to be honest. That way you have 2 accounts and you can play with each other. In regards to the minipets why not create a character on your new account and trade over all of the minipets off the old account before deleting the characters?

Also with your 3 level 9 characters. After you delete them their names become available again to reuse. So I recomend getting a character to post searing trading off the minipets and then remaking your old 3 characters. If you don't want to remake your characters on proph then I suggest experimenting with Factions or Nightfall. Leveling in these two seems to be a lot quicker than in proph and the game feels faster.

If you need any other help feel free to ask. I'll be willing to give more advice if you need it.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

Thanks I will do that especially since the names become available. They were actually the only sticking point.

I wanted to ask you about starting over in Factions and Nightfall. I read that you reach some kind of stalemate at some point in Factions because your character cannot finish the mission which is mandatory to be completed to continue. If indeed this happens can you then go in some way to Prophecies and continue to advance then come back ? 

What level do you have to be to reach Lion's Arch is it the place in Tyria where you would arrive from Factions Cantha ? Obviously you would have to travel backwards to the old Ascalon City to play the Prophecies content. Does this content become too hard also happen in Nightfall ?

I actually want to play in Factions or Nightfall from scratch but this stuff I read about the hard content and mobs not scaling gradually at one point scared me.

Thank you for the help.

Chamber of Chains
  • highvoltahighvolta Member UncommonPosts: 130

the content does not get hard. It scales with level and skill. 

I think nightfall would be the best bet to start with. Some of the later missions are harder but by that time you should be a natural :-)

You can get to lions arch by doing a quest from kamadan i belive. Same with getting to factions as well. You can then do all the story missions from the other campaigns. 

Wonderful thank you so much. You guys are great.

/runs off to make a Dervish and Ritualist

Now I will have to get some cool names.

Chamber of Chains

First time I played through Factions as an Assassin I found it challenging when I got to main. But that is also because I didn't really know how to play, and didn't have max armor. If you want an easy time through the campaigns head to EotN asap and power level to level 20 (you are buffed until you get to level 20).

In Nighfall you get to the other campaigns when you unlock the 4th mission called Consulate docks. Head to Kamadan and a message will appear saying how to get to the other two.

In Factions when you get to mainland and the outpost called the Marketplace don't follow the quests, instead head north as far as you can till you reach a place called Kaineng Center and do the same as before.

If you are struggling here are two websites that even the best occasionally use. GW Wiki and PvX Wiki . The first is for general information and the second is for builds. If you still need help pm me and I will tell you my IGN and I will help you.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

I'd say Factions is the most challenging for a newbie. If you don't really care about following the lore of the game, or rather it doesn't mater to you if you see some spoilers, then start with Nightfall.

I just realised that  Nightfall and Faction you cannot quest for you skills and that you have to purchase them. I could of course take the most likely build I might use and only purchase those skills but that seems so stingy in terms of experimentation. I am terribad at grinding for gold never managed it much .In WoW I had the basic mount and was perpetually broke and unable to get the alchemy recipes off the AH.

Does the skill unlock packs I saw for sale in the in game shop allow you to get the skills cheaper perhaps in PvE ? 1 K gold for each skill (gulp) ,I don't suppose it is that easy I guess that skill unlock pack only allows you to buy the skill at 1k gold right  or else every one would just buy the pack. 

Well I guess I will have to consider what I am going to do when I reach that bridge.

Chamber of Chains
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by arenasb

I'd say Factions is the most challenging for a newbie. If you don't really care about following the lore of the game, or rather it doesn't mater to you if you see some spoilers, then start with Nightfall.

Well, partly. I just ran my buddy through the starting island and that is easy enough to teach someone the ropes. It is once you move to to the main land things get hard pretty fast. Starting in Shing jae is fine if you then move over to one of the other 2 campaigns.

And BTW, a few classes are easier than others. I recommend: Ranger, Elementalist, Warrior and Necromancer for the first character, they are all easy to figure out (necro might be somewhat harder when you use it as a minion master).

Avoid the assassin from the start, and the ritualist.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by cheyane

I just realised that  Nightfall and Faction you cannot quest for you skills and that you have to purchase them. I could of course take the most likely build I might use and only purchase those skills but that seems so stingy in terms of experimentation. I am terribad at grinding for gold never managed it much .In WoW I had the basic mount and was perpetually broke and unable to get the alchemy recipes off the AH.

Does the skill unlock packs I saw for sale in the in game shop allow you to get the skills cheaper perhaps in PvE ? 1 K gold for each skill (gulp) ,I don't suppose it is that easy I guess that skill unlock pack only allows you to buy the skill at 1k gold right  or else every one would just buy the pack. 

Well I guess I will have to consider what I am going to do when I reach that bridge.

Not entirely true, you get some skills in them too, but you get more and faster in Pro.

But remember that in Nightfall you get heroes, there are just a few in the other campaign and they help you out a lot when you duo.

As for skills unlocked, you can use those on your heroes but not on your PvE character. 

I wouldn't worry too much anyways, skills are cheap from the start and you need to buy 10-15 and a few signets of capture. That shouldn't be a problem. Skills cost 100 gold for the first, then 125 for the next and so on until they reach the cap of one plat each, so you will be able to get a lot of skills rather cheap until the price is getting tough on the valet.

Most players spend their fortune on cool looking armor, by far the most expensive thing in the game. I bought a green vampiric bow to my ranger for 10 plat or so from a farmer, that is more or less my only expensive thing besides my elite armors. Each part of them often cost 15 plat together with a lot of resources. 

• bandontcarebandontcare Member Posts: 72

Originally posted by cheyane

Yes, the questpacks unlock the skills on your account which means 2 things:

1. Any PvP char can use them

2. PvE chars can buy them from a trainer. However, if you want to buy say a campaign specific skill you can do that only at a trainer in in that campaign. E.g. Prophecies only skills can be bought at trainers in Prophecies ONLY.,even if you have it unlocked. Core skills can be bought from any trainer if they are unlocked.

I would say start in Prophecies. The campaign is very rewarding and eases you into the game. Factions rushes you to level 20 and a lot of outposts are locked if you haven't progressed enough into the main story. Nightfall has some grind and while you have much more freedom than Factions, it's still more limited than Prophecies. From a storywise perspective, you will not be able to appreciate some things in Factions/Nightfall if you don't start in Prophecies.

If you want to follow the storyline: Prophecies -> Titan quests -> Factions -> Nightfall - > Eye of the North -> Guild Wars Beyond quests

Edit: About the skills > pretty much what the poster above me said.

Prophecies - a lot of skill quests. This makes quests feel more rewarding. Skill quests give you skills which are not available at that level. For example, quests in the Northern Shiverpeaks give you skills which are available at trainers in Kryta. So you get quests a bit earlier this way and of course you save money. The cost goes up to 1 platinium very fast which is very expensive despite what the poster above me said. If you start in Prophecies, try to avoid buying any skills from trainers. A lot of them are available through quests.

Factions - no skill quests

Nightfall - no skill quests. However, you get hero skill points. You can use these to buy skills for your heroes. If you have that profession when you buy the skill you get it as well. E.g. If you buy a skill for your ele hero, and you are ele (either primary or secondary prof) you get the skill as well.

Eye of the north - lots of skill quests as well.

On the heroes oh that is one saving then since I will not have to buy the skills for the heroes. Alright I will really check what skills I will need and then decide. Okay so the cap 1 k well that is a relief. I came across this thread where they were discussing 1 k per skill for 9 toons and how it was such a grind and it alarmed me. Thanks for clarifying that.

Grateful for all the explanation. I have been reading up on the game and there is surprisingly a lot of information to digest and I am very happy to see how deep actually the game can be in terms of skills , group make up ,builds and progress through the story line. You have been very kind to help me out. Also the community in game is also very good. I think in terms almost f2p this game has a very good community which is surprising considering how other f2p games are.

Chamber of Chains

Another thing to clarify. With the 1k skill thing people forget they can buy tomes (not tombs, tomes). Tomes allow you to get any skill on your character that you have unlocked via balthy points or skill packs. People sell these for less than 1k each because otherwise no one would buy them. Each cost their own amount from people depending on how easy they they are to get.

Also you can get  to Hero skill trainers that you can buy skills off for hero skill points which you get for increasing your Sunpear, Lightbringer, Norn, Asura, Dwarf and Ebon Vanguard titles. These skills differ from Hero skill trainer to hero skill trainer but if you buy one you can use it on that character and it costs 0g! People often say you only unlock the skill but this is a myth and you can use the skill yourself. Also Hero Skill trainers in Nightfall offer you some very strong PvE only skills that you might want to start looking at.

Also to the person that said being a Ritualist is hard. That is a lie. Being a Rit is VERY EASY! The hardest part about it has to be getting Signet of Spirits (as it is quite far in game) but once you have that the game becomes 1000% easier.