Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nothing comes for free

2»

Comments

• TaraberryTaraberry Member Posts: 4

I haven't played LOTRO, but I'm currently downloading it.  How do you earn the Turbine Points in-game?  I like the fact you could use these to unlock extra features instead of having to pay for them with real currency. 

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

Originally posted by Taraberry

I haven't played LOTRO, but I'm currently downloading it.  How do you earn the Turbine Points in-game?  I like the fact you could use these to unlock extra features instead of having to pay for them with real currency. 

Finish 10 quest in a zone - BAM get a deed and 5 Turbine Points. Complete 15 more quests in the same zone - BAM get another deed and 10 more Turbine Points. Kill 60 of a certain mob in a zone - BAM get a deed and 5 more Turbine Points. Gain a level - BAM get some more turbine points. Run naked in the middle of Bree - BAM...no just kiddin, you dont get free Turbine Points for scaring the children!

Basically you get the points for playing the game. Play, get points, play some more, get some more points.

• Originally posted by Taraberry

Also, if you find you are out of quests and deeds to accomplish, but are sitll adamant about not paying a cent, I think you can create an alt. Do more quests and deeds, delete and make another character and repeat to rack up those turbine points.

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Originally posted by lardandweed

Originally posted by Taraberry

Also, if you find you are out of quests and deeds to accomplish, but are sitll adamant about not paying a cent, I think you can create an alt. Do more quests and deeds, delete and make another character and repeat to rack up those turbine points.

Yes that would work. But you can also create toons on different servers, f.e. checking out if a RP server is fun, or trying new classes without deleting your current chars. There is a lowlevel quest you can do once per server at level 5 or so that gives 10 TP for example, with 14 servers thats a very quick 140TP.

• TaraberryTaraberry Member Posts: 4

Thanks for all the info on how to get Turbine Points.  I think it sounds like a good system.  Since I don't know anything about the different classes yet (I'm about to dive into the game now)  I can play around with different characters and gain some TP on them as I go.  It's a win/win I guess in the fact I'm trying a new game and earning the points.  On any note, haha I'm not a complete tight wad.  If I really love the game then I'm sure I'll support them with money.  Starting on BrandyWine.  Look forward to seeing you guys in game!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by maddie517

thats just it. it is not free to play. its worded wrongly tbh it should be oF2P. (Optional) Free to Play. it is not a free game and never will be, no games are free as they would be losing money. its carrot and the stick. the first 20 lvls are the carrot. the choice of grinding or paying cash for more zones is the stick

yeah, it is only called free to play because it doesnt have monthly subscription, but in most f2p they mess up the cash shop to unbalance the game on purpose, so everyone is forced to buy them to progress in game.

• MalenkaMalenka Member Posts: 26

The great thing about this game is that you can have a good free trial and then decide if you want to sub or not. I ended up subbing and haven't regretted it. Even managed to save up the monthly points (and do a bit of last minute deed grinding) to get the Moria expansion in the CS sale.

The reason I subbed was because I hate having insufficient bags, gold cap, not being able to post on AH and a few other minor things. It was also the easiest way to get a mount, which again is important to me. But I reckon anyone could, with some TP grinding, actually not pay anything and still get all the content.

I personally think it is the best ftp model currently available. I remember playing Atlantica, another ftp, where you only got a decent mount by spending money on boxes which may, or more likely may not, actually contain said mount. I ended up, stupidly, spending more money than I would have done on a subscription.

So, IMHO, LOTRO offers a very fair deal. As subscribers my bf and I moan because we have so much to do that we haven't got time to do the skirmishes. They seem to be quite a good way of levelling and getting decent gear for ftp people, maybe someone could confirm this.

I am not saying that this game is the best in the world or anything, the graphics are pretty dated now, particularly character graphics. But, as a FFXIV exile, I have found lots to keep me amused and busy, and would recommend anyone to download it. It is particularly good for couples as there are quite a number of small fellowship quests which are reasonably challenging but possible to duo. Also, I like the fact that you get a buff if you are not in a group to do the epic quest line - now that is fun :)

• levsixlevsix Member UncommonPosts: 363

You can play portions of the game for free. That is what it means. It is as simple as that.

Have a winner and don't go on a game over! Does your avatar make you powerful in real life? Check out the Mystical Enders gaming community. www.mysticalenders.com

• ZilverrugZilverrug Member Posts: 132

I have quite of lot of free TP in my account and I do not have the faintest idea where I want to spend it on.

I'll probably keep them for Isengard.

• AntaranAntaran Member Posts: 579

this debate will always go back and forth with no end. all we're doing is voicing our own opinions on things.

here's mine

LotRo and other so called Free To Play games are actually Pay as you play. Free to Play is a false advertisement for them, LotRo especially. I played prior to it going PnG and there is a difference between subbing then and subbing now, i had a discussion about this on another thread and people were kidding themselves saying it was exactly the same.

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Originally posted by Antaran

this debate will always go back and forth with no end. all we're doing is voicing our own opinions on things.

here's mine

LotRo and other so called Free To Play games are actually Pay as you play. Free to Play is a false advertisement for them, LotRo especially. I played prior to it going PnG and there is a difference between subbing then and subbing now, i had a discussion about this on another thread and people were kidding themselves saying it was exactly the same.

Yes, it is exactly not the same. I was also a subscriber back in 2008, and when i got back for F2P i lacked the Mirkwood expansion for one. Under the old system i would have had to spend 20€ for it, even as a Lifetimer which i was not back then. Now i got it for free with my loyalty points, 4500 odd points, good enough for Mirkwood and probably the next expansion aswell. Also i get 500 free points every month. My november points for example i used to buy my level 34 dwarf a riding goat(i intensely dislike dwarfs on horses) which would not have been possible under the old system(would have had to wait till moria i think).

So yeah, subscribers these days get free expansions via their bonus and earned points, and can resolve some style issues alot earlier. But i second the comment that there really isn't all that much you can spend points on in the store. I mean there is shared storage, maybe the last two bank vault upgrades if you really need the space and ... well thats it basically. Tomes are a joke, 9 charslots are plenty, destiny points buy you buffs like hope or armor and i dislike hot based potions(if i need health i usually need it NOW, not in a trickle over the next 20 sec or somesuch). Cosmetic items are a nice touch, but really we already drown in them already via skirmish vendors etc.