Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please write a review

Comments

• QuakeQuake Member UncommonPosts: 20

Here is your review:

Gameplay:

-Virtually no quests or story.

-Nobody wants to heal, because healing doesn't give you exp.

-Currently the only efficient way to gain exp is crafting.

Commuity:

-Most of the player base left, because there is no end game. You can reach the level cap in under a week if you stick to crafting.

-FFXI migrants migrated back to FFXI after playing this for a week.

-Forum activity indicates there are many waiting on the sidelines in case it gets better, but prospects are grim.

Economy:

-The game is flooded with an influx of items, breaking the market. Due to the above mentioned crafting-exp.

-Due to the above mentioned broken economy, linkshells are handing out bundles of 500,000 gil to new members. For giggles.

Future Prospects:

-Investors are pulling out left and right.

-The CEO apologised to consumers and is unsure himself wether the game will ever produce a profit. Though he seemed optimistic in his speech.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by Hyanmen

I think there should be a review for this game in it's release condition.

I also think MMO's should be reviewed again after each major update and especially when they get expansions, since "updates" are more like "sequels" to the previous build.

Nothing is stopping you guys from reviewing the game in it's current state and doing it again later. I encourage you to do so, in fact. If anything, it is a good indicator as to where the game is headed and how much or little it has improved since the last review.

This.

FFXIV should have been reviewed shortly after September 30th. And then updated say, March, or June.

By what Stradden said, it seems like they've been gifted to not review it until it's decent. Good job SE.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• BelarionBelarion Member Posts: 570

Originally posted by warpriest812

Originally posted by Stradden

Originally posted by theartist

Originally posted by alanthecelt

i think mmorpg are giving some maturation time, which is highly valid. As somone who has played this a lot i can see  the potential, but its not there yet

BUT THEY HAVEN'T FOR MANY OTHER GAMES.

So it looks ridiculous.

Ok, here's the deal:

The game is simply not ready for review. The state of the game has been well documented here and at other websites.

We have a reviewer in game. We intend to do a review. There is, however, no point in stating exactly what other sources have already stated when that information will be outdated shortly anyway. Are the developers even collecting subscription fees yet?

Are you waffeling serious!!! I wholeheartedly disagree with your decision not to write a review. Is there a new review guideline of, "Oh wait MMO companies need to start collecting subs before we write a review". How is a released game that people paid for the box/client not ready for a review?

This is just bad journalism. I am very disappointed in MMORPG.com:(

Exactly. We all bought the game off the shelves, this is more then people do for F2P games, and yet they get reviewed.

This game IS released, it IS on the shelves, and it SHOULD be reviewed by a site that considers itself an MMO journalist website. The excuse that "it's already been said by others" doesn't stop Time, Macleans and the Globe and Mail from saying the same thing in different words and with different insights.

Do your job. Or are you being bribed to wait?

I love snails.
    I love every kinda snail.
    I just want to hug them all, but I cant.
    Cant hug every snail.

• NeoVeniNeoVeni Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by theartist

Originally posted by alanthecelt

i think mmorpg are giving some maturation time, which is highly valid. As somone who has played this a lot i can see  the potential, but its not there yet

BUT THEY HAVEN'T FOR MANY OTHER GAMES.

So it looks ridiculous.

Ok, here's the deal:

The game is simply not ready for review. The state of the game has been well documented here and at other websites.

We have a reviewer in game. We intend to do a review. There is, however, no point in stating exactly what other sources have already stated when that information will be outdated shortly anyway. Are the developers even collecting subscription fees yet?

Wow I just genuinely lost a good amount of respect for this website...Like others said its been sold and as such is very much "ready".

Also have to second the idea of doing more re-reviews for large scale patches/Expansions.

• SelpharesSelphares Member Posts: 430

While I agree on Hyanmens arguments. I sort of fear that most people in this thread beg for an additional review right now to see even more blood to say it in a literal way. I mean nobody directly by this it is just the atmosphere around here feels like that recently.

Edit:

I mean take alone the conversation in 'the anger Thread' as an example.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by Selphares

While I agree on Hyanmens arguments. I sort of fear that most people in this thread beg for an additional review right now to see even more blood to say it in a literal way. I mean nobody directly by this it is just the atmosphere around here feels like that recently.

Edit:

I could care less if MMORPG.com reviews it or not... but the reasoning they provided? Yikes.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by Benthon

Edit:

I could care less if MMORPG.com reviews it or not... but the reasoning they provided? Yikes.

Yea.  No Bias there.  *cringe*  No really.  Not reviewing a product well into it's launch because, perhaps, it currently has bad press or opinoins by a sizable segment of its player-base.  Okay....that's the impression I get, I guess.

• VryheidVryheid Member UncommonPosts: 469

Gamespot's review is dead on in my opinion. If you really have no idea whether to play this game or not in its current state, watch their video-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--LOYdzogDA

MMORPG.com's reviews tend to be long term reviews that judge a stable release of a game, whereas FFXIV won't be at that point for quite some time. It's not fair to demand that they write a review early when it might be totally outdated within a month's time.

Originally posted by Vryheid

Gamespot's review is dead on in my opinion. If you really have no idea whether to play this game or not in its current state, watch their video-

MMORPG.com's reviews tend to be long term reviews that judge a stable release of a game, whereas FFXIV won't be at that point for quite some time. It's not fair to demand that they write a review early when it might be totally outdated within a month's time.

A. That seemed to be an accurate review.

B.  It's not too early to review a product launched 2-months ago.  I happen to think that's just another excuse of appologists.

C. mmorpg.com reviews do 'not' tend to be long-term reviews.

• gauge2k3gauge2k3 Member Posts: 442

Edit:

After what he said it's not about blood.  It's about fairness.  They gave aion like 2 weeks before a review was up.  This is absolutely not fair and completely biased.  It screams that they were payed off.

• VryheidVryheid Member UncommonPosts: 469

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

B.  It's not too early to review a product launched 2-months ago.  I happen to think that's just another excuse of appologists.

I'm so sorry that you're inconvenienced by MMORPG.com decision to not publish a review the instant FFXIV was released. Because, you know, they're obligated to make all of your gaming opinions for you and there's no WAY you could just try out the game yourself.

And yes, they do make long-term reviews, though clearly you haven't paid enough attention to their articles to realize this fact. Here's a starter- the recent review for Mortal Online which just happened to be six months after the game was released.

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

I'm so sorry that you're inconvenienced by MMORPG.com decision to not publish a review the instant FFXIV was released. Because, you know, they're obligated to make all of your gaming opinions for you and there's no WAY you could just try out the game yourself.

And yes, they do make long-term reviews, though clearly you haven't paid enough attention to their articles to realize this fact. Here's a starter- the recent review for Mortal Online which just happened to be six months after the game was released.

Sorry.  I'm just being honest, as opposed to the contrary.  No need to appologize.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Hey guys just a reminder, try not to bait other users into personal attacks in your discussion. Thanks.

• DBGokuX4DBGokuX4 Member Posts: 41

I don't see the problem.  Some of the people asking for a review already bought the game.  You read a review BEFORE you buy the game, don't you?  Why would you read a review of a game you've already bought and are experiencing...can you not review it yourself?  Reviews are for people who don't have the game.

As for those who haven't bought it, it was specifically stated that every other site and many other people have already ripped FFXIV apart for their designs and gameplay...Most of you know that, yet you just want them to basically copy and paste the same exact thing?  What does that accomplish?  It's like you're unaware that there are other internet sites.  As it is, reviewing it now is a waste of time, because everyone knows what the review would say...and if it was different, you'd disagree.  So what's wrong with them waiting until an overhaul happens so they can give you a much better review than what you'd already see coming?  Have a little common sense...they chose not to, maybe they felt it wasn't worth reviewing, or got to it late...in any case, it's not needed.  A day by day or week by week update seems stupid and pointless.  

• theartisttheartist Member Posts: 553

Originally posted by DBGokuX4

I don't see the problem.  Some of the people asking for a review already bought the game.  You read a review BEFORE you buy the game, don't you?  Why would you read a review of a game you've already bought and are experiencing...can you not review it yourself?  Reviews are for people who don't have the game.

Bang on correct right there.

People need to know to not buy this game. That's what a review for this game would say right now if it were an honest review. I read one preview before I bought the game. In hindsight I should have read many because the 1 review I read spun things in such a useless way.

I bought the game and I enjoyed it for about a week.

Then I realized it was nothing. I mean that's the best I can say about that game. It's pretty goes so far, and then poof.. Crap to do. Even the crafting system that gets touted isn't actually anything special. It's not intricate, you make the same crap everyone else does, the minigame isn't even the most interesting one I've ever seen.

mmorpg.com should be in the business of promoting games on their merits. Not waiting around for a released title to finally have some merits.

• SelpharesSelphares Member Posts: 430

Hmm people seem to get me wrong. If tehre are to all games reviews it would be right to make one right now. Aside of the fact it is the mmorpg side and they can decide as they like if they make a review or not. There is no contract for it after all, but I can udnerstand that it is fair to make one review in the same timeframe.

What I sort of mean is that a lot of people here want the right thing for all the wrong reasons.

• wizyear2099wizyear2099 Member UncommonPosts: 310

See what happen... its ridiculous lol, it just gives a bad name that only lasted 2 months. There are things in that gamespot video is now outdated an fixed lol. lemme ask the OP this. Are you playing the game or not atm? a review of the game is always current an we have had current reviews. mmoprgs are something I think should be reviewed differently. People can review what they want though, its their review. I would like to see a review of this game much later though I am currently playing it an I know what it details. we need new reviews maybe after december update also then not just old launch reviews launch. Maybe we should have a every few months review on mmorpgs to see the states of mmorpgs as they go along in the months. because mmorpgs are on going content updates for years, an not something you beat an shelf. a review for each content patch would be nice in mmorpg industry :).

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

Originally posted by Destructhor

That's not a review. That's an overview of the game's features. Reviews are pinion pieces. Also, to set the record straight, having an opinion one way or another does not make a review biased. It makes it a review. Bias implies having some kind of "other" reason to reviewing a gamea  certain way.

This opinion on what a "review" is explains a lot.

I personally have another "opinion" on what a review is/should be and I'm sure a lot of others "opinions" on what a review should be match up directly in line with mine.  : ]

People are also allowed to have an "opinion" on the review itself and that "opinion" may also include a few accusations of "bias" one way or another.  Perfectly justifiable opinions in my opinion since everyone is apparently entitled to an opinion whether it holds close to reality or not. 

A review is a pinion piece of course but that opinion on a "professional" website should be based on reality.  Listing faults with a game and citing multiple broken aspects and then popping out the ultra cop out subjective term of "potential" is an insult to people's intelligence.  Multiplied by the bell curve. 

Example " Regardless of current players opinion.." 

Peoples thoughts : " this guy factors in "potential" but not the fact that a ton of players have a laundry list of complaints?"

There is a certain "bell curve" effect that takes place when reading reviews and the ones that fall outside the established "zone" in either direction are usually written off as irrelevant because it's an anomaly.

That being said,  you guys can post opinions all you want but I'm not calling it a review because that's not what a review is, in my opinion.  : ]

It doesn't matter which way it goes. 

Ok, here's the deal:

Of course they did, when people bought the box. 

You can't go to the site and download the client and play it till a certain timeframe is up can you?  Well, let's stick with reality.  You buy the box MMO's and get the game but you can't install that game on your computer and play it without internet now can you?  Of course not.  This is a game on store shelves and the box payment model includes the initial free time.  It says so right in the fine print.  Whether the free time was extended has nothing to do with the fact that people already supported the company with cash.  AKA  they paid. 

People are muttering about bias already because it's well known that SE attempted to curb details of the game from getting dispersed on the net by "asking" websites to hold off on a review.  But I'm sure everyone reading about this is already aware of that. 

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• FleshMaskFleshMask Member UncommonPosts: 249

Here's a Review....

GAMEPLAY: 9/10 It is the most awesome-sauce, this game is so fun with it's quest leves that you have these quests and they are there! There is no Auction House meaning that their is no Gold Farmers, and if someone tell you that is slow or boring ...you need to punch that person in the face... with a hammer! You will fight rats, bats, rabbits, and countless monsters while leveling, and level 20 you will break time and space and find that  4th dimension is a lie! Story line quests are sooooo boring, but it's a good things they are so few and far inbetween. Who's plays for story line anyways? Not me!

CRAFTING: 9.5/10 Crafting is explain very well, and you may or may not craft useful things (aircraft carriers, space shuttles) depending if you know how to craft anything in the game.... Which they explain very very well in the game... this one. If you do not know have to craft you are lying, everything about crafting including a detail how to guide with wlkthrough instructions on how to do these things are on the Lodestone, including on how to claim your Moghouse.

GRAPHICS: INFINITUS  Graphic are so awesome, so awesome in fact... you'll have trouble seeing everyone at all times craming around desk to recieve guildleves... soooo friggin awesome.

OVERALL: 15/10: Final Fantasy XIV wins the MMORPG war. Everyone surrender now, and come play this game. No one in MMORPG can do anything FFXIV can, there is so much here to be explored and worshipped here. Did I mention this game is free to play? That alone makes it worth your time, and is not open to be contested... It blows everyone away...

I have a tear in my eye.

EDIT: Okay there. You have your review... Now buy the game, and recommend your friends buy the game... in fact let's all play!

• CorresCorres Member Posts: 132

Originally posted by FleshMask

Here's a Review....

GAMEPLAY: 9/10 It is the most awesome-sauce, this game is so fun with it's quest leves that you have these quests and they are there! There is no Auction House meaning that their is no Gold Farmers, and if someone tell you that is slow or boring ...you need to punch that person in the face... with a hammer! You will fight rats, bats, rabbits, and countless monsters while leveling, and level 20 you will break time and space and find that  4th dimension is a lie! Story line quests are sooooo boring, but it's a good things they are so few and far inbetween. Who's plays for story line anyways? Not me!

CRAFTING: 9.5/10 Crafting is explain very well, and you may or may not craft useful things (aircraft carriers, space shuttles) depending if you know how to craft anything in the game.... Which they explain very very well in the game... this one. If you do not know have to craft you are lying, everything about crafting including a detail how to guide with wlkthrough instructions on how to do these things are on the Lodestone, including on how to claim your Moghouse.

GRAPHICS: INFINITUS  Graphic are so awesome, so awesome in fact... you'll have trouble seeing everyone at all times craming around desk to recieve guildleves... soooo friggin awesome.

OVERALL: 15/10: Final Fantasy XIV wins the MMORPG war. Everyone surrender now, and come play this game. No one in MMORPG can do anything FFXIV can, there is so much here to be explored and worshipped here. Did I mention this game is free to play? That alone makes it worth your time, and is not open to be contested... It blows everyone away...

I have a tear in my eye.

EDIT: Okay there. You have your review... Now buy the game, and recommend your friends buy the game... in fact let's all play!

sounds legit! game bought!

• xcopydavexcopydave Member Posts: 12

Wait a sec, did this game do a total 180 over night.

Others certainly do NOT review it the way it has been on this thread.

The overall thoughts I gather from reading anything about this game is, do NOT buy untill at least 6 to 8 months of patching and user implemented suggestions.

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

Originally posted by xcopydave

Wait a sec, did this game do a total 180 over night.

Others certainly do NOT review it the way it has been on this thread.

The overall thoughts I gather from reading anything about this game is, do NOT buy untill at least 6 to 8 months of patching and user implemented suggestions.

Here I'll help you out..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

And... thanks alot for the review guys, now I have to figure out how to clean the Coke off my monitor!  Doh!

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• TheEmpyrealTheEmpyreal Member Posts: 65

Ok, here's the deal:

Nope but they've been collecting box sales; $70, $80 and $50.

Personally, I feel like you guys dropped the ball on this one too.  One would think your priorities would be with the interest of patrons of this site as opposed to the interests of the developers of the games.  You guys, as far as I know, are the only ones who actually honored the developers wish to not review the game so that they could sell a bad product to their fanbase.  

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Lol. This site's forums are getting weirder and weirder. Now people are demanding that mmorpg.com writers post a review of a game whenever they as mere visitors want to? How presumptuous. Hilarious.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• BelarionBelarion Member Posts: 570

Originally posted by TheEmpyreal

Ok, here's the deal:

Nope but they've been collecting box sales; $70, $80 and $50.

Personally, I feel like you guys dropped the ball on this one too.  One would think your priorities would be with the interest of patrons of this site as opposed to the interests of the developers of the games.  You guys, as far as I know, are the only ones who actually honored the developers wish to not review the game so that they could sell a bad product to their fanbase.  

This ^^ Well said.

And SE only said one month, so get'er done.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a review untill after PS3 release, about the time we see SE advertising FF14 on this website.

I love snails.
    I love every kinda snail.
    I just want to hug them all, but I cant.
    Cant hug every snail.