Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXI before FFXIV?

FolbyOrbFolbyOrb Member UncommonPosts: 357

So I'm interested in FFXIV, because I've read some things that suggest nothing happens quickly or easily, that you have to take your time doing things to accomplish anything. I've also read that the game is not complete and that even the developer is not happy with the state of the game.

So I thought I might employ the "New MMO Rule of Thumb," which (for those who do not know) is do not play a new MMO for it's first six months or twelve months.

That said, Steam has FFXI Ultimate Collection for $9.99 with 30 days free.

My question, for FF vets who've played both FFXI and FFXIV, is this: Will playing FFXI be a good introduction to what I can expect in the gameplay of FFXIV? Because I'm thinking about playing FFXI for four to six months and then checking back on FFXIV.

Playing | GW2
Wanting | Pantheon
Watching | Crowfall
Retired | WAR, Cabal, MO, CO, SHK, WoW, FFXIV: ARR

Comments

• theartisttheartist Member Posts: 553

Honestly.. Play XI because it has some content to it, and don't even think about FFXIV until the PS3 release is said to come about.

• DocEllis611DocEllis611 Member Posts: 86

What are you going to do if FFXIV is fixed, and you realize you spent months grinding and working in a dying game, and you STILL aren't close to end-game?

It's not a risk I'm willing to take.

I'll wait for FFXIV, and play RPG's until then.

Originally posted by DocEllis611

What are you going to do if FFXIV is fixed, and you realize you spent months grinding and working in a dying game, and you STILL aren't close to end-game?

Enjoyed an enriching gaming experience probably.

What else can you game for? You can't level up a character and trade it in for a car.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Originally posted by theartist

You can't level up a character and trade it in for a car.

Well.... not 1 character, true. :)

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

It's not a risk I'm willing to take.1

1) FF11 is by no means whatsoever "dying".

2) It's a waste of time anyway. All of it is. That's what video games are. They're unproductive and complete, utter wastes of time. Like the above poster mentioned, it's not as if working hard enough at one long enough nets you some big great thing. So playing one while waiting for another is no less a waste of time than playing a console game instead, while waiting for something else. Either way, you're wasting your time on a video game you don't intend to keep playing when the next one comes out, which in either case you'll be starting a fresh new toon that benefits in no way from whatever you were playing before.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

2) It's a waste of time anyway. All of it is. That's what video games are. They're unproductive and complete, utter wastes of time. Like the above poster mentioned, it's not as if working hard enough at one long enough nets you some big great thing. So playing one while waiting for another is no less a waste of time than playing a console game instead, while waiting for something else. Either way, you're wasting your time on a video game you don't intend to keep playing when the next one comes out, which in either case you'll be starting a fresh new toon that benefits in no way from whatever you were playing before.

Oh I understand that gaming is essentially a waste of time. But can't we agree that we play for end-game? And if we can't agree on that, can't we agree that we play FFXI for end-game?

I HAVE played FFXI. It is definitely not as populated at the lower levels... So I will choose another word if you don't agree with "dying." How about.....in "decline?"        What!? you don't agree with that either? The server merge happened for a reason. It certainly wasn't because SE was seeing a rise in player populations. Right?

But back to your second point. You wrote an entire paragraph on a different point than the one I am trying to make. The better content waits for you at the higher levels, I think thats how most people feel (certainly I do). Video games are a waste of time. But if you never get to end-game in an MMO, then you never really played the game how it was meant to be played. And regarding FFXI, if you never got to end-game, then you were just grinding levels, and farming just to sustain your job. FFXI is a lot of work before its really fun.

What else can you game for? You can't level up a character and trade it in for a car.

Have you played FFXI?

Although I enjoyed FFXI, I've heard a lot of people admit to buying gil, and botting. Of those who complained and quit, some say it was like having a second real-world job. FFXI is hard work just to sustain your character to make it to end-game.  Is that an enriching gaming experience??  Probably not for most people.

Have you played FFXI?

Although I enjoyed FFXI, I've heard a lot of people admit to buying gil, and botting. Of those who complained and quit, some say it was like having a second real-world job. FFXI is hard work just to sustain your character to make it to end-game.  Is that an enriching gaming experience??  Probably not for most people.

To plenty of people obviously.

I never got in to the game because the running speed killed me.

• warfistwarfist Member UncommonPosts: 7

FFXI is a lot of work before its really fun.

No game, MMO or otherwise, should be a lot of work before it becomes fun. If the game isn't fun from the get-go then it is beyond not worth playing. It isn't even worth mentioning to acquaintances. If you have to grind 75 levels in order to start having fun, then what the hell is the point of playing the game? End-game is not a good enough answer.

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

This is exactly why MMO's are different from standard games.  MMO's are meant to be experienced with a constantly changing population and be a shared world where people can meet up and "visit" and have a good time while doing fun activities.  I have family all over the world that get together and play MMO's for that reason.  As you get older the excuses to get together become more and more slim and the distances between friends and family start to spread out to all parts of the continent (and beyond).  That being said, I wouldn't want to spend precious time with friends and family playing a broken and incomplete game or waiting for such a game to eventually maybe become better someday.  :  ]

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• wizyear2099wizyear2099 Member UncommonPosts: 310

Originally posted by FolbyOrb

So I'm interested in FFXIV, because I've read some things that suggest nothing happens quickly or easily, that you have to take your time doing things to accomplish anything. I've also read that the game is not complete and that even the developer is not happy with the state of the game.

So I thought I might employ the "New MMO Rule of Thumb," which (for those who do not know) is do not play a new MMO for it's first six months or twelve months.

My question, for FF vets who've played both FFXI and FFXIV, is this: Will playing FFXI be a good introduction to what I can expect in the gameplay of FFXIV? Because I'm thinking about playing FFXI for four to six months and then checking back on FFXIV.

INC wall of text info:

yup i am ff11 vet. I can tell you this, start plating 14 NOW!. reason why is because you need to get strong. they will have low end content comming along with more high end content also. there is 900 ranks 50 pysh ranks. you can enjoy the stuff over an over again. because 1 rank to 50 isn't the whole game an 1 rank to 50 doesn't take 1-2 weeks either. some games you can cap to max in days. this game only has 50 levels. an you are NOT hitting cap that fast. it is a gradual experience. Don't wait for content because as of right now. there is enough content that you will not be able to do it all before they release a content bomb this month. To anyone who starts right now will not be able to do the 50 content that is coming this month, thats how it takes. ill bet you wont hit 50 if u started right now before they patch :P. they do have fatigue also an it will chew you up an make u do something else eventually an you would want to unless you wanna just mindlessly power up 1 rank until you get no exp ^^. you can craft in this game unlike most an its much better than 11 crafting an ff crafting is work like leveling up. it takes time an patience but very worth it in the long run of fun. harvesting is good too an let me tell you you start any harvest when you get to the 30+ harvesting levels you will feel the game. its a profession an you get skills for crafting harvesting. with all the multiple jobs mixes an crafting harvesting, they will patch faster than you can experience it as of right now you might as well start. the game looks like it will be much better that 11 ever was the game is setup bigger more difficult an more group oriented play. more linkshell activities are coming also which 11 NEVER had. will be more jobs an of course the gorgeous graphics to top it all off. we do leves for our towns in this game which are objective quest for the cities to build faction, reputation gear, gil, party group play also. you can even do these leves for crafting an harvesting as well an it has much improved since that last nov 26 patch which I'm impressed. I think the leves are gonna be a huge part of the game which will get deeper later on.

take a look of history of leves:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leves

Leves will be your reward to the game beyond your quest also. the story is unfolding in this game, We are defending a huge war in this game. those large intro cinematics tell a lot of secrets of the games future. I believe the we are gonna have to move more as a unit an they are adding more content that swarm around what we are gonna be doing  to serve an protect Eorzea. you will notice company ships/company buildings also in January as expected. Companies are linkshells (guilds) of multiples to form alliances an which will later be a huge change to this game that will be something that you won't see ever in ff11 this is new to me. better start now  all I gotta say. I have a linkshell on mysidia server which is a GREAT server an already forming alliances with another linkshell atm. So I can read multiple linkshells atm as officer an you will be able to also. PVP content will be in this game also but will have more objective to it that 11 had i believe.

the game within these next 4 whole months will be loads of stuff to do better start now all I gotta say give yourself a head start :)

Originally posted by warfist

FFXI is a lot of work before its really fun.

No game, MMO or otherwise, should be a lot of work before it becomes fun. If the game isn't fun from the get-go then it is beyond not worth playing. It isn't even worth mentioning to acquaintances. If you have to grind 75 levels in order to start having fun, then what the hell is the point of playing the game? End-game is not a good enough answer.

Well, that is your opinion. And I'm not going to argue with your tastes.

BUT I can say that you didn't read the thread. The whole point of me writing all that was to advise OP NOT to play FFXI, or at least give a little warning.

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

FFXI is without a doubt the best MMO I personally have ever played. (380 days play time since may '04)

That being said, there was a time when the game was "dying" or in "decline". But that's a thing of the past. As any current vet or player who has returned will tell you, the game is much better now than it was even at it's peak. They have increased the level cap, while making it easier to level any of your jobs 1-85 (current cap). There are much more improvements I could go into detail about, but not being an avid player you wouldn't understand all of the improvements. Over the past 18 months the steps the team has put in place made me glad I never canceled my account (my fxiv account however is still dead lol). The $9.99 deal is well worth it.

Be warned though: When you first play it will seem empty. You will have no money, no friends, and no idea of what to do. There are many established "social" linkshells on any server which would more than welcome a new player. Try to endure the initial grinding and treck to jeuno. The game is well worth it. Also, the game isn't very casual friendly. You can't expect to play 5 hours a week and get anything done (just felt it was worth mentioning).

If you like a great story, challenging battles, deeply rooted crafting game: FFXI is for you.

Any other questions I will do my best to help with.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

I really have to go with what is said here, I love playing my games console and mmorpg's but I always know that whenever I do that I'm not writing or working on anything that can advance me beyond that moment of satisfaction.  If you want to try FFXI try it because it has features that you feel like you are looking for out of your gaming experience, whether the game is "dying" or not (which I might add some may disagree with you on).  In many ways the future of FFXI looks brighter than that of it's predecessor, so play the game and have fun as long as it is fun to you and as you stated if at some point the criticism of FFXIV dissipates and more players seem to enjoy the experience move over there, but you never know maybe you will enjoy FFXI enough that you won't want to leave.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• FolbyOrbFolbyOrb Member UncommonPosts: 357

Originally posted by wizyear2099

INC wall of text info:

yup i am ff11 vet. I can tell you this, start plating 14 NOW!. reason why is because you need to get strong. they will have low end content comming along with more high end content also. there is 900 ranks 50 pysh ranks. you can enjoy the stuff over an over again. because 1 rank to 50 isn't the whole game an 1 rank to 50 doesn't take 1-2 weeks either. some games you can cap to max in days. this game only has 50 levels. an you are NOT hitting cap that fast. it is a gradual experience. Don't wait for content because as of right now. there is enough content that you will not be able to do it all before they release a content bomb this month. To anyone who starts right now will not be able to do the 50 content that is coming this month, thats how it takes. ill bet you wont hit 50 if u started right now before they patch :P. they do have fatigue also an it will chew you up an make u do something else eventually an you would want to unless you wanna just mindlessly power up 1 rank until you get no exp ^^. you can craft in this game unlike most an its much better than 11 crafting an ff crafting is work like leveling up. it takes time an patience but very worth it in the long run of fun. harvesting is good too an let me tell you you start any harvest when you get to the 30+ harvesting levels you will feel the game. its a profession an you get skills for crafting harvesting. with all the multiple jobs mixes an crafting harvesting, they will patch faster than you can experience it as of right now you might as well start. the game looks like it will be much better that 11 ever was the game is setup bigger more difficult an more group oriented play. more linkshell activities are coming also which 11 NEVER had. will be more jobs an of course the gorgeous graphics to top it all off. we do leves for our towns in this game which are objective quest for the cities to build faction, reputation gear, gil, party group play also. you can even do these leves for crafting an harvesting as well an it has much improved since that last nov 26 patch which I'm impressed. I think the leves are gonna be a huge part of the game which will get deeper later on.

take a look of history of leves:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leves

Leves will be your reward to the game beyond your quest also. the story is unfolding in this game, We are defending a huge war in this game. those large intro cinematics tell a lot of secrets of the games future. I believe the we are gonna have to move more as a unit an they are adding more content that swarm around what we are gonna be doing  to serve an protect Eorzea. you will notice company ships/company buildings also in January as expected. Companies are linkshells (guilds) of multiples to form alliances an which will later be a huge change to this game that will be something that you won't see ever in ff11 this is new to me. better start now  all I gotta say. I have a linkshell on mysidia server which is a GREAT server an already forming alliances with another linkshell atm. So I can read multiple linkshells atm as officer an you will be able to also. PVP content will be in this game also but will have more objective to it that 11 had i believe.

the game within these next 4 whole months will be loads of stuff to do better start now all I gotta say give yourself a head start :)

I thank you for your wall of text. This is good advice and I might go ahead and just jump into FFXIV because of your post.

Playing | GW2
    Wanting | Pantheon
    Watching | Crowfall

Originally posted by Blazeyer

FFXI is without a doubt the best MMO I personally have ever played. (380 days play time since may '04)

That being said, there was a time when the game was "dying" or in "decline". But that's a thing of the past. As any current vet or player who has returned will tell you, the game is much better now than it was even at it's peak. They have increased the level cap, while making it easier to level any of your jobs 1-85 (current cap). There are much more improvements I could go into detail about, but not being an avid player you wouldn't understand all of the improvements. Over the past 18 months the steps the team has put in place made me glad I never canceled my account (my fxiv account however is still dead lol). The $9.99 deal is well worth it.

Be warned though: When you first play it will seem empty. You will have no money, no friends, and no idea of what to do. There are many established "social" linkshells on any server which would more than welcome a new player. Try to endure the initial grinding and treck to jeuno. The game is well worth it. Also, the game isn't very casual friendly. You can't expect to play 5 hours a week and get anything done (just felt it was worth mentioning).

If you like a great story, challenging battles, deeply rooted crafting game: FFXI is for you.

Any other questions I will do my best to help with.

Thanks for your post. I'm looking for a game that takes more than five hours a week in order to get somewhere. I want the sense of accomplishment.

A lot of people who have played FFXIV and enjoy it say things that to me sound like FFXIV is like that as well. Things don't get done quickly. That's why I would like to play it, but the lack of content some people talk about had me thinking I might want to wait until they add some more to the game, but I might jump right into FFXIV.

If that doesn't work out, I'll give FFXI a try.

Playing | GW2
    Wanting | Pantheon
    Watching | Crowfall

I'm not sure what risk you are talking about. I'm a journey guy, not a destination guy.

Playing | GW2
    Wanting | Pantheon
    Watching | Crowfall

• The_GrumpThe_Grump Member Posts: 331

Yes and no, it's not really that simple.

1. If you play FFXI and then step into FFXIV you may be incerdibly underawed by the lack of creativity that Square-Enix put into FFXIV. When we think of Square-Enix we tend to think, 'goddamn, that's different.' That tendancy toward pushing the envelope and challenging their own fans is something that really makes Square-Enix a great developer, however it didn't even pick up the ball to drop it here.

2. If you want to experience FFXIV then go and experience FFXIV, do not use FFXI as a primer. While there is a lot that is similar between them you really don't have time to waste since you are the type who wants to spend that investing in a game. Both FFXI and FFXIV are going to demand your time and FFXI more than FFXIV.

3. FFXI has an incredibly old community and when you get to the point where you want to experience the expansion content, such as CoP, you're going to likely be hit with a brick wall of silence from whatever LS you are in. Even the best linkshells just do not want to invest time in their newer players because there is an ungodly amount that you need to catch up with. If you tell people -and you should- that you are using FFXI as a primer for FFXIV you are likely to get stonewalled much sooner. I am not saying that it is going to happen all of the time, just the overwhelming majority of the time and unless you devote yourself to the game you aren't going to have people helping because FFXI demands time.

4. While the graphics are dated, FFXI is still a beautiful game and is stable. We have no clue what is going to happen to FFXIV, hopefully it folds to demonstrate to the development staff that there are consequences to bad actions and inaction. Don't underestimate it.

In my honest opinion you should stay clear of FFXIV. That game does something to tarnish Sqaure-Enix's good name but it doesn't wipe it away. FFXI is a time-sink, an ungodly fucking timesink, period, but it is incredibly rewarding to play with good people. You will meet good people, too, just don't expect a great deal of help. Don't let this get you down either, the only reason people aren't likely to help is because of the ungodly amount of time everything takes. If you are interested in FFXI then you should play it, it's worth it. It wasn't the game for me but I have great memories from that game.

I hope this helped some!

(1)TL:DR must be your way of saying that thinking hurts. Then again, this may explain why it looks like you responded to the post without using your brain.
    (2) It's not about community, is it? You just have nothing better to do.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Oh I understand that gaming is essentially a waste of time. But can't we agree that we play for end-game? And if we can't agree on that, can't we agree that we play FFXI for end-game?

Perhaps between yourself and gaeanprayer you could come to that agreement. I'd personally stop short of going much farher than that.

Not everyone considers Reaching End Game as their primary goal in a MMO. Speaking for myself, I never did. To me, "End-Game" is something else in the game that comes down the road and I'll reach eventually. I'm much more interested in spending my time in-game doing what I'm doing "now". If I'm not enjoying myself "now", what comes "later" really doesn't mean a whole lot 'cause I'm likely not going to be sticking around long enough to reach it anyway.

I know I've spoken to people who share that same approach to MMOs (and RPG-type games in general), but they can speak for themselves.

Some people really do prefer "enjoying the journey" over "getting to the destination".

I think, personally, that difference in approach to a MMO makes all the difference in the world for some people. For those whose key interest in Getting To Endgame, a slower paced MMO is going to likely drive them nuts. For someone who is looking for a game to sink themselves into and enjoy the trip, a slower-paced MMO may be right up their alley.... at least in that context.

In summary...  I would argue that some players - many, even - play for end-game. Certainly not all.

I HAVE played FFXI. It is definitely not as populated at the lower levels... So I will choose another word if you don't agree with "dying." How about.....in "decline?"        What!? you don't agree with that either? The server merge happened for a reason. It certainly wasn't because SE was seeing a rise in player populations. Right?

It's because after over 7 years in service, FFXI started to see a decline in population, like all MMOs do over time. It's worth noting they went from 32 (34?) servers down to 24. That's more servers than even some new MMOs have at launch, or are merged down to after their first several months.  That SE didn't need to do their first merge until after 7 *years* is pretty damn impressive IMO.

FFXI's population may not be the ~500k it had for a while, but it's certainly large enough to populate 24 servers. That's nothign to sneeze at, and it's certainly not indicative of a "dying game".

But back to your second point. You wrote an entire paragraph on a different point than the one I am trying to make. The better content waits for you at the higher levels, I think thats how most people feel (certainly I do). Video games are a waste of time. But if you never get to end-game in an MMO, then you never really played the game how it was meant to be played. And regarding FFXI, if you never got to end-game, then you were just grinding levels, and farming just to sustain your job. FFXI is a lot of work before its really fun.

Well, that's certainly how you feel. I know that's how others feel as well. But again, not everyone is in that same boat.

I, for one, enjoy the content all the way through. Some of my favorite quests in XI were done when I was level 7 and still spending most of my time in Windurst.  The first few quests of the Star Onion Brigade storyline in Windurst, for example, is an all-time favorite of mine from that game. The dialog, the situations (onion-bombing Nanah Mihgo and finding her twitching on the ground afterward...) and the twists in the storyline were very interesting and entertaining to me. I found myself returning to that story arc as soon as I could just to see what happened next.

The storyline missions in FFXI were, for the most part, awesome to me. Mission 2-1 for Windurst - "Lost For Words" was damn challenging as a level 14 character. Sneaking past an army of mobs in a confined area, including level ~25 scorpions at one bottleneck in particular - was no easy task for a newer player to the game (I could do it much more easily now, of course, knowing the game and understanding mob aggro better, etc).

Finding my way down into the tunnels of the Horutoto Ruins to locate the mahogany door whre Nanah Mihgo asked me to meet her, only to find it's an ambush... Etc.. All of that is *well* worth the price of admission alone. My first trip to Jeuno to get my chocobo license was epic and quite memorable and takes place long before end-game.

All of that was part of my journey through FFXI.

I could literally sit here for an hour and type up individual experiences I had in FFXI long before reaching end-game that were quite fun, qutie enjoyable and by no means was I in any  hurry to rush through.

Point of it all would be, though... that it's all subjective.

I know many people believe end-game is "what MMOs are all about. I vehemently disagree with that and find it, personally, to be counter-intuitive to how MMOs are designed. In my very strong opinion, the entire *game* is "what MMOs are all about".  If all I cared about in a MMO was what happens when you get to the end, I'd have given up on them a long time ago.

Not saying you're "wrong" by any means, so please don't take it that way. Just saying "there's another side to that coin, and there are plenty of people on it".

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Originally posted by choujiofkono

This is exactly why MMO's are different from standard games.  MMO's are meant to be experienced with a constantly changing population and be a shared world where people can meet up and "visit" and have a good time while doing fun activities.  I have family all over the world that get together and play MMO's for that reason.  As you get older the excuses to get together become more and more slim and the distances between friends and family start to spread out to all parts of the continent (and beyond).  That being said, I wouldn't want to spend precious time with friends and family playing a broken and incomplete game or waiting for such a game to eventually maybe become better someday.  :  ]

I would not spend precious time with friends and family at an online game at all. Why would anyone play mmos with his family instead of going out, visiting them and spending time with them personally?

I would be highly offended if anyone in my family would say, "let's skip the chirstmas season and not visit this year, instead play LOTRO. That has to be the sadest thing i have ever read.

Merry XMAS

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

I'm not sure what risk you are talking about. I'm a journey guy, not a destination guy.

It's notable how many disagreements and misunderstandings and how much frustration is born of the difference between those two playstyles.

I understand what the "end game", "destination" crowd is after. They're almost like what you could consider 'Big Game Hunters'. They want the big fights with the big rewards which are typically, at the higher levels.

I can understand the appeal in that, and there's aspects of it that are enticing to me as well.

I think where the break-down happens is that while Journey types appreciate and value everything that happens along the way to end game and consider it all part of the experience, Destination types seem to value *only* what's at the end game and consider most all else irrelevant... even a  nuisance.

Longevity-wise, it's been my observation that many Journey types can stick with a single MMO for years and be perfectly satisfied with it, while many Destination types are burned out and ready to move on to the next MMO within months. This, of course, doesn't apply to all... but certainly to many.

It's also worth noting that, in my experience, Destination types seem to express the most frustration about things taking too long to do or "slowing them down", such as getting to level cap. Journey types have gripes with the games to be sure, but it's mostly to do with various game mechanics or bugs.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

Originally posted by taus01

Originally posted by choujiofkono

I would not spend precious time with friends and family at an online game at all. Why would anyone play mmos with his family instead of going out, visiting them and spending time with them personally?

I would be highly offended if anyone in my family would say, "let's skip the chirstmas season and not visit this year, instead play LOTRO. That has to be the sadest thing i have ever read.

Merry XMAS

I'll let Chouji clarify for themself... but if I'm not mistaken, I don't think they're suggesting players have a virtual Holiday Feast with their family members in Azeroth or Norrath or -insert game world here -.

You're kinda taking their remarks to the extreme here, I think.

I used to live in West Texas (worst place I ever lived incidentally). My sister lives in upstate NY. It wasn't feasible for us to get together and hang out in person - not even for the holidays. My sister and I still "hung out" by playing online MMOs and talking in Vent, or in in-game chat.  Now that I'm living about 20 minutes from her in upstate NY myself, I can hop in my car and go over there instead.

Originally posted by WSIMike

I know many people believe end-game is "what MMOs are all about. I vehemently disagree with that and find it, personally, to be counter-intuitive to how MMOs are designed. In my very strong opinion, the entire *game* is "what MMOs are all about".  If all I cared about in a MMO was what happens when you get to the end, I'd have given up on them a long time ago.

Not saying you're "wrong" by any means, so please don't take it that way. Just saying "there's another side to that coin, and there are plenty of people on it".

Okay. Point taken. Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed response. 

Just for the record, I am all about the journey, especially in real-world matters, but also in video games. To me, its all a journey, even end-game. I too have fond memories of early experiences in FFXI. However, there is always a sense of awe at the journey ahead of us, and thats partly why killing rabbits and selling their hides for just enough gold to get by seems fun, because we are working for something bigger and better. But if I know that I won't ever get there (and I won't if FFXIV becomes something awesome by PS3 launch) then I don't see the point in playing.

What do you think? Would trekking to Jueno or gathering your subjob items seem like fun if you knew that it wasn't going to get any better than that? Another way to say it: Would you play a game only made up of that sort of content?

One can enjoy low-level stuff, while still acknowledging that the 'meat and potatoes' come after the appetizers.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

I guess euopeans are different then. I would rather visit than play an online game with my family. It's called priorities.

What all this has to do with the OP question of  playing FFXI before FFXIV is beyond me.

It's just the sad fact that some people take every single thread and hijack it into a personal vendetta against this game.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

Originally posted by taus01

I guess euopeans are different then. I would rather visit than play an online game with my family. It's called priorities.

What all this has to do with the OP question of  playing FFXI before FFXIV is beyond me.

It's just the sad fact that some people take every single thread and hijack it into a personal vendetta against this game.

Of course you don't see how this thread is relevant to the OP's post. Because you didn't read the thread.

This thread hardly has ANYTHING to do with FFXIV specifically, (except to try to answer the OP's question) and its certainly not a thread devoted to attacking FFXIV. It's become more about the philosophy of playing MMOs.