Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much faith do you have in Bioware?

Before you answer that, what games of theirs do you own? Of those games, which do ya like?

I own....

Baldurs Gate 1/2 w/expansions....luved these games. Two of my all time favorites.

NeverWinter Nights w/expansions plus Infinite Dungeons....luved the game. Didnt pick it up until diamond edition, and it was a steal for 20 bucks.

KOTOR....luved the game. If not a top 25 of mine, then it is close.

Jade Empire....have the PC deluxe version besides X-Box version. ONly played thru X-box one, and not thrilled with. For the 10 buck purchase price, I have no complaints.

DA:O plus Expansion/all DLC....luved this game.

ME1 plus the 2 DLCs....one of my favorite games of all time. In the top 5 range.

ME2 plus all DLC....top 5 or so all time favorite. I didnt like what was streamlined from ME1, but taking the product on its own merits, it was simply amazing.

So by my count that is 7 out of 8 games(not counting expansions/DLC), that I own,  that I have absolutely luved. Not to mention that 4 of them are firmly in my all time top 25....and possibly 5(would have to really make up a list to see if KOTOR was epic enough). If not top 25, then top 30 for sure.

So to answer the question in OP....yes I have total faith in BW. Barring something named Sonic, I will buy any game they make until such time I feel totally ripped off for my money.

Anyways thought it would be interesting to understand where folks feelings about BW come from, especially if you look at it from standpoint of their prior experience with BW games.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

Comments

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

I own many of their games, starting with the beloved Baldurs Gate; beloved.  But faith in what?  I played BG as a story-rich, single-player rpg with lobby-system team-play.  Do I have faith that Bioware will deliver on those strengths?  Yes.

But. . .I want to play a non-lobby, instance-light Massively-Multiplayer RPG, to say the least, as it pertains to SWTOR.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I have both Baldurs gates, Neverwinter nights (still the best multiplayer RPG game I ever played) and DA:O.

I like them all, but past successes does not automatically means future ones as well so I have no clue if TOR will be a good game or not. I neither trust EA or LA and to be honest is DA:O by far least good if the Bioware games I own.

I keep an open mind about TOR, I know Bioware have some really talented people but I am not sure if their style will work for a MMO or not.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

I have all of them expect for Jade Empire.

So I have all the faith in the world in BW with the RPG side of TOR. It will be a great leveling experience with story both solo and in groups. And the crafting looks to be good with a lot of potential.

But the MMO end game and sub retention is still a question mark. With the BW and ME team working of the MMO features. They "should" be there. But that is the only thing that I am not sure about. But I still have some faith because of BW. And know that I can at least level a number of characters with at least 200 hours of game play each.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

"Faith" as in : "As long as the title is something that interests me, I am willing to spend the money on day 1". Something like "Sonic" I have no interest in....make a Sci-fi/fantasy RPG, and I am all over any new BW game.

You get that feeling towards a company by doing business with them over a long haul. As I showed from past titles, I have a history of being happy with BW purchases, and thus I will continue to buy their games on launch day.

Just to clarify where I am coming from.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by artemisentr4

So I have all the faith in the world in BW with the RPG side of TOR. It will be a great leveling experience with story both solo and in groups. And the crafting looks to be good with a lot of potential.

But the MMO end game and sub retention is still a question mark. With the BW and ME team working of the MMO features. They "should" be there. But that is the only thing that I am not sure about. But I still have some faith because of BW. And know that I can at least level a number of characters with at least 200 hours of game play each.

If by ME you mean Mythic Entertainment you just made me rather critical. WARs big problem have always been the lack of a endgame and even if DaoC had one that was a long time ago. So ME might be a help when you make battlegrounds, they know that very well but for endgame they will not be much of a help.

Bioware will have to learn that the hard way, or borrow from someone else.

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

I've played the typical Bioware games and I have loved them, for the most part.  However, I'm not following SWTOR too much anymore these days because I wasn't hoping for another WoW clone.  I'm so sick of running around fullfiling tons of meaningless quests.  I was hoping for a more SWG type of game, but I understand why they did what they did.  I just won't be playing, at least not at launch.  So I suppose I have faith in Bioware, for what they are trying to accomplish, but what they are trying to make is not something that interests me.  I'm sure it will be a solid game though for those who like gear-based, theme park style MMOs

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Its not BioWare I'm worried about. Its EA.

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

I own every single game with Biowares name on it. I am a huge fan.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

I do not have faith in Bioware but neither do I hate thme so I will judge the game when I am able to experience it myself and/or when a complete,factual overview of the entire game is possible.Similarly I don't have blind faith in Arenanet and will judge GW2 in a similar fashion and every other game in any genre I take an interest in.

I'll leave blind faith and extremism to haters,fanbois and fanatics of all causes and religions.

Originally posted by Loke666

If by ME you mean Mythic Entertainment you just made me rather critical. WARs big problem have always been the lack of a endgame and even if DaoC had one that was a long time ago. So ME might be a help when you make battlegrounds, they know that very well but for endgame they will not be much of a help.

Bioware will have to learn that the hard way, or borrow from someone else.

I was thinking more about the Warzones and senarios and PvP in general. No one complained about the PvP in WAR it was just the rest of the game.

BW will be able to work on the rest of the game that ME was missing in WAR. But I do agree that the end game is the question mark. That is why I said "should" be there. BW devs seem to understand end game with the 2008 seminar on end game in MMO's. But implementing ideas and having them work is a whole other ball game.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Bioware is the reason why I will be trying TOR...and Im not a Star Wars fan by any means.

I own

NWN and all of its expacs.....a game that I got completely soaked into because of its story,Especially the original games story arc,really well done imo.

Dragon Age Origins...which I am playing now and am enjoying very very much.

Mass Effect 1 and 2....I own these,but havent played them yet,though Im very confident that I wont be dissappointed.

Bioware tends to make quality products more often than not and I'd be more than willing to experience their take on an MMO.

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

Should probably be a poll, but Bioware has yet to let me down so I have a lot of faith that this will be a good game.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

I have tons of faith in Bioware SP games. MMO's are a whole different ballpark. Here's hoping for the best.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Im confident they will release a great game. However ,like a lot of others here, im anxious to hear more about the mmo elements of this game. Id like to see some large scale pvp and raiding info/videos. And id like to see some hub cities with a hundred or so players buying,selling,and trading.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

All things considered, TOR is a title I have faith will keep me logging back in time after time for quite some time. If not for anything else, it will be for the multiple story lines that it will contain both class specfic and abroad. To me that's what matters most in the end.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

I own 3 Bioware products and all 3 are fun.  Simply put, fun.  I am not going to get all into the politics of what the game has, is, doesn't have, isn't going to be, etc etc...  I like having fun and Bioware makes it happen. It will be one of the few times I actually have confidence in a game before it is launched.  I am truely confident I will have fun.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

I have plenty of faith in the company, none in SWTOR because they made SW into WoW with light sabers. And I'm being honest here, the game play, the faction fighting, the class system, etc are all part of the WoW clone genre. Bioware should of made SWTOR as unique as KotOR, but they didn't. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• harvest151harvest151 Member UncommonPosts: 217

Do i have faith they will design the exact game i hope and pray swtor will be? None whatsoever.

Do I have faith they will make a great, well done, story backed game I will enjoy tremendously  and play for years to come?  I have total and unshakeable faith in that.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by xpiher
    I have plenty of faith in the company, none in SWTOR because they made SW into WoW with light sabers. And I'm being honest here, the game play, the faction fighting, the class system, etc are all part of the WoW clone genre. Bioware should of made SWTOR as unique as KotOR, but they didn't. 

Riiight. And gw2 is just wow with public quest loops. Cause we've both played these games already and are able to pass judgement even though they arent finished or released yet.

So the whole Sith vs Republic factions came from WoW?

The Sith, Jedi, Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, Imperial Agent, Trooper all came from WoW?

The VO dialogue for every NPC and player for all quests with multiple choices that change the quests and story came from WoW?

The 200 hours of unique storylines for each class that details the entire class from SW lore came from WoW?

The fact that group quests can be completed differently for the same quest depending on the group make up with different VO dialgue for each class is from WoW?

The fact the the dev's have stated that the game will be KOTOR 3,4,5,6......10 came from WoW?

I know what your are trying to say, but the game play will be very different from WoW. But yes, they are both themepark MMO's.

As the thread askes. I have faith that BW will make the RPG story, as in KOTOR, feel very unique. The story will feel nothing like WoW. 

R.A.Salvatore

• TaraberryTaraberry Member Posts: 4

I own ME1, ME2, and Dragon Age.  All of which, in my opinion, had great stories and kept me entertained.  As far as TOR goes, I do believe it will have great story lines for characters.  As far as other MMO elements such as crafting, PVP, and social aspects we will just have to wait and see.  I haven't been keeping up with the game that much (I've been following GW2 and Rift quite a bit) but I will probably more then likely buy the game and try it out.  Unless of course reviews come back negativly like FF14, in which case I was lucky to wait it out.  Anyways Bioware is 3 for 3 with me, and I think they will deliver.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Originally posted by Foomerang

Riiight. And gw2 is just wow with public quest loops. Cause we've both played these games already and are able to pass judgement even though they arent finished or released yet.

Game doesn't need to be released to know its a POS. Just watching the devs hype up STWOR lets me know the game is a POS. I mean, really, you want every character to be epic? Thats your selling point? Come on. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I own Balder's Gate, Jade Empire (the remake),  Sonic: Dark Brotherhood, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect 2 and have a pre-order on DA 2 which, I haven't played yet, but know it will be teh effin' awesome anyway.

I don't always agree on the gameplay mechanics of their games, but I've endured them just for the storylines which are always phenomenal. Actually "endure" is a little strong a word since I don't feel like anything they've ever done gameplay wise was bad, just not my particular cup of tea (for instance, the battle system in Jade Empire took a lot of getting used to).

That said, I have no interest whatsoever in SWTOR, but that's because I'm not a big fan of the IP. I liked ME 2, but otherwise I'm really not a sci-fi kind of guy. However, I still have faith that if nothing else, Bioware is going to give that game an absolutely amazing storyline. People seem to have issues over whether it feels more like an MMO or a single-player game, and I can't speak to that because I haven't researched the game enough. Even so I'd still go out on a limb and say that if you like Star Wars, you'll probably enjoy what Bioware brings to it.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

So the whole Sith vs Republic factions came from WoW?

The Sith, Jedi, Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, Imperial Agent, Trooper all came from WoW?

The VO dialogue for every NPC and player for all quests with multiple choices that change the quests and story came from WoW?

The 200 hours of unique storylines for each class that details the entire class from SW lore came from WoW?

The fact that group quests can be completed differently for the same quest depending on the group make up with different VO dialgue for each class is from WoW?

The fact the the dev's have stated that the game will be KOTOR 3,4,5,6......10 came from WoW?

I know what your are trying to say, but the game play will be very different from WoW. But yes, they are both themepark MMO's.

As the thread askes. I have faith that BW will make the RPG story, as in KOTOR, feel very unique. The story will feel nothing like WoW. 

That being said... even if it were just WoW with new classes, new worlds, new races, new quests and LIGHTSABERS, it would still be pretty damn cool.  Throw in all the rest that they're doing, and I believe it will be nothing less than amazing.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

In response to the original question...enough.