Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Computer Deals, Help, and Advice

SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

Hello all!

This is the thread to post anyting you need to know about computers..... it started out as the Buying New Computer, is this a good deal? thread...

but i changed it

this begins way back now... so dont get shocked with some of the crap dealsimage

and here's some advice

which was removed as of the 30th of august 2004 because it's outdated

wayyy outdated

AND SOME OF THESE DEALS SUCK, MAKE SURE YOU GO TO THE LAST PAGE!

cause this topic is older than a year..so like, we have some really crappy deals posted

but that's imho...so don't get mad if u disagree

S4010CL-B

Intel Celeron Processor 2.4GHz
256MB DDR SDRAM
60 GB Ultra DMA Hard Drive
CDRW/DVD Combo Drive
17" Flat CRT MonitorAfter taxes, its

Processor and Memory:

Intel Celeron Processor 2.4 Ghz
266 MHz Front-side bus
256MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM, expandable to 1GB
128KB L1(primary) cache
256KB L2 (secondary-on-chip) cache

Hard Drive and Multimedia Drives:

60GB Ultra DMA Hard Drive
3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive
CDRW/DVD Combo Drive

Audio, Video, and Graphics:

Integrated Intel Extreme UMA, up to 32 MB shared video memory

Data, Fax, and Modem:

56K ITU V.90 flex modem
10/100 Base-T Fast Ethernet

Expandability:

Ports:

6 Hi-Speed USB 2.0 (2 front, 4 rear)
1 serial
1 parallel
2 PS/2

Keyboard, Mouse, and Monitor:

Presario Internet Keyboard
Presario Scroller Mouse
FS 7550 17" Flat CRT Monitor
Total Memory Slots: Two 184-pin (one available)
Total Expansion Slots: 3 PCI (2 available); 1 AGP expansion slot
Total Drive Bays: two 5.25" (1 available), three internal 3.5"

675 dollars, plesase give me your opinions on this deal, if its not good, please show me a better deal, thanks

Email me at [email protected]
~~The Journey of a Thousand Miles, Begins With One Step~~

Comments

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460
    could someone please post a reply

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

If you want something that's decent,  this is the machine for you.  You get everything you need and probably a warranty too!  Decent CPU (Celeron),  alright RAM (could be faster) and an intergraded videocard...  that can always be replaced.

For the price,  you can get a much nicer machine,  but at the cost of no HDD,  monitor, etc.  I would stick with this one of try to get a lower end DELL,  Gateway or even HP.  I've heard to many bad stories about Compaq,  all though HP owns them,  I still wouldn't get one myself.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?

thanks a lot gramps, i cant wait till you find a deal for meimage

thanks man

• Odin1985Odin1985 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 342
    well ppl say alienware is very nice, one thing i know is that celeron is bad you can get even amd is very good and cheap

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man´s character give him power"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Coder, Webmaster and Modeler

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man?s character give him power"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Gramp Djin PC:

Gigabyte GA-7VAX, VIA KT400 chipset 8X AGP ATX motherboard Retail
    Specifications:
    CPU Support: Socket A for Athlon XP/ATHLON/DURON
    Chipset: VIA KT400/8235
    IDE: ULTRA DMA ATA 133/100/66
    Memory: 3x DIMM Slots DDR 400/333/266/200, PC3200/2700/2100/1600, 3GB Max
    Slots: 1x AGP(4x/8x), 5x PCI
    Ports: 2x USB (onboard), 2x Serial, 1x LPT, 1x Audio, 1x PS/2 Mouse/Keyboard
    Onboard Audio: AC97 REALTEK ALC650 SOUND CHIP (6 CHANNELS)

$74

AMD ATHLON XP 2500 "Barton" 333 FSB PROCESSOR CPU- OEM
    Specifications:
    CPU: 1.83 GHz
    Type: XP 2500 Barton Core
    Cache: 512K L2, 128K L1, Total 640KB
    BUS: 333MHz
    Socket A

$87

KINGSTON HyperX 184-pin 256MB DDR400 (PC3200) DDR RAM modules, Model# KHX3200A/256
    Specifications:
    Type: Kingston HyperX
    Capacity: 256MB
    Speed: DDR 400 (PC 3200)
    Latency: CAS Latency 2 (2-3-2-6-1T)

$62

VGA PNY Verto GEFORCE FX 128MB DDR PCI 8X 5200 DUAL VGA TV-OUT. RETAIL BOX
    Specifications:
    BUS: PCI
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
    128MB high speed DDR II RAM
    Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec): 16
    Fill Rate (texels/sec.): 4 Billon
    Maximum 3D/2D resolution of 2048 x 1536 @ 32bit color @85Hz
    OS support: Windows 95, 98, Me, 2000, XP and NT (all) display drivers

$107

Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM Hard Drive Model # 6E040L0 OEM, DRIVE ONLY
    Diamond Max Pluss
    Specifications:
    Size: 40 Gigabytes
    Interface: IDE ULTRA ATA133
    Seek time: <10ms
    RPM:7200
    Cache 2MB

$61.50 (On-Sale)

Lite On 52x24x52 CDRW Model LTR-52246S OEM Buffer underrun error free & automatically adjust writing strategy plus running OPC to meet various burning condition.
    Specifications:
    Speed : Recording 52Xmax CAV Re-writing 24X High-Speed CLV Reading 52Xmax CAV
    Interface : ATAPI-E/IDE, support up to Ultra-DMA Mode2 33.3MB/sec
    Supported Media:CD-DA,CD-ROM,CD-Extra,CD-ROM/XA,Photo CD,CD-I Ready,Video CD,CD-R,CD-RW
    Access Time : 80ms
    Buffer Memory Size: 2MB

$43.99 (On-Sale)

CREATIVE LABS SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY WITH 1394 - OEM 24-bit, 96kHz, 100db SNR audio quality. MIDI Interface/ Joystick Port. SB1394 firewire connector. 32-bit Professional Quality Effects Engine.

$59

ORION 17" CRT monitor Model 7E7 - Retail
    Specifications:
    Display: 17" (16" Viewable)
    Dot Pitch: 0.27
    Max Resolution: 1280x1024 (non-interlaced)
    Sweep Frequency:
    Horizontal: 30-70KHz(automatically)
    Vertical: 50-150KHz(automatically)
    Connector: DB-15 sub VGA
    Plug and Play VESA DDC

$109

---------------------------------------

I'm pretty sure that's it,  you can get the keyboard,  netcard, mouse and other small things from your local computer store or Wal-Mart.

The grand total is...

$603.49

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
    well i would double up the ram, get the geforce 5600 and thats all

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man´s character give him power"
    -Abraham Lincoln

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man?s character give him power"
    -Abraham Lincoln

I was just building something that's better then the Compaq.  If he wanted to,  he could lower the quality of RAM and get twice as much and get a SB Live and maybe a GeForce FX 5600.  But I was staying under $650 like he wanted me to.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
    oh i see so do you take paypal? and do you ship outside your country¿?

-Abraham Lincoln

-Abraham Lincoln

VISA, Mastercard,  AMEX... make checks out to Gramp Djin,  C/O Phatty PCs 'R' Us.

hehehe...  I could tell you what to buy,  I wouldn't build one and send it to you... cost to much in shipping. image

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
    well i don´t know much abou how to build them

-Abraham Lincoln

-Abraham Lincoln

• SatansDiscipleSatansDisciple Member Posts: 2,782

heres the rig im puttin together on newegg:

CHIEFTEC Server Chasis (Aluminum Workstation Tower with Plastic Front Cover) SILVER w/450Watt Foxconn Power Supply & acrylic window  -  $85.00

Lite On 52x Black Cd Rom - Model LTN-526 -Full OEM PACK - $17.99

Alps 3.5 Inch Floppy Disk Drive (Black) - OEM  - $8.00

WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 80GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE MODEL # WD800JB - OEM, DRIVE ONLY  - $88.50

BLACK ORtek MCK-800 Multimedia Keyboard. PS2. Built-in 16 Multimedia hot keys (6 Programmable keys - $6.99

Logitech SBF69 *BLACK* Corded Optical Wheel Mouse PS/2 - OEM - $13.00

KINGSTON KVR133X64C3/512 VALUERAM 512MB PC133 - OEM  - $61.00

Viewsonic E70f 17" PerfectFlat CRT Monitor - RETAIL  - $134.00

ASUS A7V8X-X AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron Socket A, Processor Mother Board  - $64.99

AMD ATHLON XP 2500+ "Barton" 333 FSB PROCESSOR CPU- RETAIL  - $90.00

VGA APOLLO GF4 MX440 SE 128mb DDR W/TV Retail, 4x AGP - $58.00

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 1 - OEM Full Version  - $93.00

Comes to $782.47. i heard the the bargain fx's werent too hot, the 5200 some said was slower than there mx440, so i got that. not sure if u can put a 4x agp card in an 8x mobo, but im pretty sure u can. if not ill break down and get an fx5200, dx9 would be nice anyway. i dont plan on burning cds, so i just got a regular drive. not sure if i need any more fans. well tell me wut yall think.

--------------------------------------

OMG OMG OMG GRAMPS YOU ARE THE BEST! lol GRAMPS GRAMPS HE BUILD COMPUTERS FOR THE COST OF PANTS, GRAMPS GRAMPS, oh im sorry im just so happy i made a song about you lol.

gramps thanks a lot, though theres one thing, I doubt i can pay you by check, and I dont know if I can make money orders so large, I could make multiple ones......I was wondering do you accept cod? and btw, how much would it cost to ship to Florida?

u know he said he WOULDNT build 1 and send it to you. heh.

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

• UifzUifz Member Posts: 252
    Rofl he doesnt read, and also no one does cod's.

plz some1 tell me what u think of my rig, heh. its ben my summer project of sorts, $200 more and i have enough 2 actually BUY it.

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

Not bad.  You can get a 450w PSU/Case for $90 from www.newegg.com.  The CPU is good,  motherboard is decent.  I could always build a PC,  it's just that I want to build mine first before anyone elses.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
    i wanna try building my own, then if i ever wnt to do it again i could. i was thinkin also that i could form a really small buisness that builds pcs 4 ppl, i would charge like 100 extra so id make money, instead of 2 bucks an hr...

- Unknown Author

djin, you wont build and ship it to me???

My current financial standings won't allow me to even build myself a computer.  I wish I could.  I wouldn't mind building it,  installing whatever software you wanted me to and then ship it away.  I'm very anal when it comes to updating my firmware and software (and drivers) to the latest version.  It's like Alienware.

Your hardware is really only as good as the software.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
    there, i got a chieftec 450w case for $85. i now need $300 more since i started askin ppl how it was... heh. but id rather it be stable than cheap.

- Unknown Author

dude djin! u have 666 posts! (makes cross with hands)

- Unknown Author

I'm cool! imageimageimageimage

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
    o...k... well then i thot that cat fan video was hysterical! ACK HELP IM BURNING!!!

- Unknown Author

Keep SPAMING!  You're almost to 666 post.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
    uhhh...

- Unknown Author