Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XI: Level Cap Rising

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126

Square Enix has announced that the Final Fantasy XI level cap will be rising with the next game update. The maximum character level will increase from 85 to 90. Players will also have new abilities, traits, and spells to play with once the update goes live. Devs have posted a laundry list of changes on the Play Online site so be sure to swing by for a look.

The following new job abilities will be added:

• Blood Rage (WAR Lv.87 Ability Delay: 5 min. Effect Duration: 30 sec.) Enhances critical hit rate and critical hit damage for party members within area of effect.
  • Impetus (MNK Lv.88 Ability Delay: 5 min. Effect Duration: 3 min.) Enhances attack and critical hit rate with each successive melee attack you land.

Read more here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TowynTowyn Member Posts: 23

They probably noticed that those that moved to FFXIV now all come back to XI, because XIV really sucks. And decided to give the returners a bit of food =P

• Balf87Balf87 Member Posts: 9

FFXIV just needs more stuff, FFXI was like that when it was released only in japan :)

• SamuraiNjalSamuraiNjal Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by Towyn

They probably noticed that those that moved to FFXIV now all come back to XI, because XIV really sucks. And decided to give the returners a bit of food =P

Hey man you shouldn't talk down on the game. Give XIV a chance, it just started out. Like Balf said " FFXI was like that when it was released only in japan " everyone needs a base to work from. XIV is still brand new. It will develop more and players will come to respect it more. It tough as well for XI players to migrate from something they put endless days into. Maybe an incentive or some sort could convince more people to give XIV a better chance. Remember the PS3 version has yet to be released. That right there may change the way people look at FFXIV.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by SamuraiNjal

Hey man you shouldn't talk down on the game. Give XIV a chance, it just started out. Like Balf said " FFXI was like that when it was released only in japan " everyone needs a base to work from. XIV is still brand new. It will develop more and players will come to respect it more. It tough as well for XI players to migrate from something they put endless days into. Maybe an incentive or some sort could convince more people to give XIV a better chance. Remember the PS3 version has yet to be released. That right there may change the way people look at FFXIV.

Dude, no. Just no. If the game was released for free or was in beta, then your "everyone needs a base to work from" comment may apply. SE sold the game for the full price and the game has less content than most closed betas I've been in.

The game is nothing more than guildleve grinding and farming with horrible UI and should not have been released yet. SE needs to turn off the servers and spend another year (at least!) developing content for the game and creating a real UI.

• huskerman34huskerman34 Member UncommonPosts: 252

Yeah 11 started getting good like 2 years ago with WIngs of the Goddess expansion and campaign. Fov and level sync. This Abessya crap is nothing but a grind.  Like they say give it a year or so and they will fix this 14. All mmos  are like that regardless of beta. I hate to say it 11 is old news and abessya and the level cap does nothing to bring me back to this game. This game was good back in the day there were alot of fond memories. Lots of drama  and now lots of boredom. 

Edgar F Greenwood

• danJ188danJ188 Member Posts: 56

Originally posted by huskerman34

Yeah 11 started getting good like 2 years ago with WIngs of the Goddess expansion and campaign. Fov and level sync. This Abessya crap is nothing but a grind.  Like they say give it a year or so and they will fix this 14. All mmos  are like that regardless of beta. I hate to say it 11 is old news and abessya and the level cap does nothing to bring me back to this game. This game was good back in the day there were alot of fond memories. Lots of drama  and now lots of boredom. 

Contrary to popular belief, it does not take a year+ for a mmo to be good. many mmo's earlier on have released with proper content, and workable problems. 14 has no such luck, why?Who knows. SE has def lost its touch with the playerbases on all their games recently, start from that. Don't sugar coat it and make wide sweeping generalizations to excuse their poor work, and probable poor work ethic on these issues. They messed up, and no amount of "Oh its oookay, give it a few years!" will be excuse enough for the VAST majority of potential players that would have played this game.

Once again you have done nothing for the Redmage, but give it some Black Mage Spells. Im so glad im Afk from this game or i would be really pissed. I know Blm spells will be astronomicallly high due to the greedy gil gouchers who infest these servers.  I wouldnt come back for this.

Edgar F Greenwood

11 was just like 14 when the game came out. There were alot of problems, jobs sucked, red dot of doom, and the game was too damn hard.  Se will fix these problems. Give it time.

Edgar F Greenwood

• TowynTowyn Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by huskerman34

11 was just like 14 when the game came out. There were alot of problems, jobs sucked, red dot of doom, and the game was too damn hard.  Se will fix these problems. Give it time.

I think there is one thing easily forgotten though, FF11 came out in 2001 (or 2002). That is now over 8 years ago, and in that time MMOs changed. It's like saying "The new Porsche only drives 40 miles per hour, but give it a chance, the one released in 1920 wasn't faster!". SquareEnix created a game that is, no doubt, extremely beautiful, but the content of the game is far below anything any other current-gen MMO offers or offered at release. On top of that the UI, for a game FIRST released on PC, is nothing more than a disgrace for a company like that. Even on a PS3 this UI would feel slow and irritating, but for a PC game it is simply not acceptable.

In my opinion, 14 has the chance to be a good game. But improvement to the UI, as they tried with the last patch, is not the way to go... It needs to be scratched and started from the beginning. Or, for gods sake, allow UI modding. Doesn't need the depth of WoW modding (so the game plays itself in the end), but give it EQ2 quality. Make it possible for people to create a UI and controls that make the game playable, since SE seems not to be able to do that.

The game has a chance, Final Fantasy fans are not your generic MMO players, people still try FF11 nowadays, and you still have new players, where a game nearly released at the same time (see Anarchy Online or Everquest... yes, both were off several years, but you get the idea) are fighting to keep the current subs, let alone find new ones. The name itself, though, is not a guarantee for everlasting success. Not with Cataclysm coming out (which, whether or not it's good, will monopolize the MMO market for a few months), and with Guild Wars 2 being an MMO that seems to bring so many new ideas to the market that 14 feels like it should have come out ten years ago. Not to even mention Rift and all the others.

Simple as it is, FF14 might have the same amount of content 11 did when it came out, but that was 8 years ago (go flame me if I'm off by a year), and might have the same UI, but that's like denying evolution ever happened... Be a SquareEnixCreationist, but I prefer my evolved MMOs.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

In my opinion, 14 has the chance to be a good game. But improvement to the UI, as they tried with the last patch, is not the way to go... It needs to be scratched and started from the beginning. Or, for gods sake, allow UI modding. Doesn't need the depth of WoW modding (so the game plays itself in the end), but give it EQ2 quality. Make it possible for people to create a UI and controls that make the game playable, since SE seems not to be able to do that.

They have said they are working on a new UI, and for the time being (until its ready) they are just going to tweak the existing UI further (for console users, because the new UI is better suited for mouse/kboard).

Modding will also be made possible, but I assume they need to prepare the PS3 infrastructure for that to be possible first- so that they aren't left behind.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".