Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think of my new AMD build components?

jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,696

Should be arriving tomorrow or Thursday. I won't bother listing the burner and HD as these are a dime a dozen these days. Paid a lot less than some of the links indicate as many items were on sale when I purchased last Friday. Including Win 7 64 it came in just under $1000. Long term I plan to get another 6850 and CF it, maybe add an SSD too. Did I choose well? What would you have gone with?

 

Case:   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133182&cm_re=thermaltake_v9-_-11-133-182-_-Product

 

Mobo:   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128441&cm_re=GA-890FXA-_-13-128-441-_-Product

 

CPU:   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727&cm_re=AMD_Phenom_II_X4_965-_-19-103-727-_-Product

 

GPU:   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125353

 

CPU Cooler:   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

 

RAM:   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

 

PSU:   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171037

Comments

  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,098

    Should work pretty darned good. I'm a real big fan of that HDD dock on the case.

    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.


  • ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

    Nice build buddy but i would like to know if you are going to over clock your system? if not then you can probably save some money on your motherboard. An average user doesn't even use half of the features on high end motherboard. You can get Asus evo usb3 880G for around 90 bucks.

    Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?


    Originally posted by Arcken

    To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,679

    There's no real sense in getting an 890FX chipset motherboard for only one video card.  If you don't get a second 6850 soon, it will end up being pretty pointless to add another in a year or two rather than just replacing your old card outright.

    Optical drives are pretty generic, but hard drives are not.

    It's a nice enough power supply, but not good value for the money.  For $120, you could have gotten something considerably nicer:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

    Or you could have gotten something more comparable, but a whole lot cheaper:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371021

    Both of those offer more wattage on the +12 V rail(s) than what you got, too.  Regardless, there's no sense in replacing it now.

    Memory sure has come down in price, hasn't it?

    Regardless, it's not a bad build.

  • jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,696

    Originally posted by Paradoxy

    Nice build buddy but i would like to know if you are going to over clock your system? if not then you can probably save some money on your motherboard. An average user doesn't even use half of the features on high end motherboard. You can get Asus evo usb3 880G for around 90 bucks.

    I may OC within the ultra safe 5-15% range but mainly I got the higher end mobo because I am going to CF with a second 6850 down the line. I knew I was going overboard a bit but I have the features if I want them I guess. It was among the cheaper of the 890FXs at $180. I could have gone into the $200s or with some of the intels the $300s.

  • jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,696

    Originally posted by Quizzical

    There's no real sense in getting an 890FX chipset motherboard for only one video card.  If you don't get a second 6850 soon, it will end up being pretty pointless to add another in a year or two rather than just replacing your old card outright.

    Optical drives are pretty generic, but hard drives are not.

    It's a nice enough power supply, but not good value for the money.  For $120, you could have gotten something considerably nicer:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

    Or you could have gotten something more comparable, but a whole lot cheaper:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371021

    Both of those offer more wattage on the +12 V rail(s) than what you got, too.  Regardless, there's no sense in replacing it now.

    Memory sure has come down in price, hasn't it?

    Regardless, it's not a bad build.

    Actually I got the PSU for $90 on the holiday sale, now it's back up to normal non-sale price. You are right about the PSUs those are good ones. Actually you gave me some build advice a couple months ago when I was posting about my interest in building a new computer. I'll post again when I get it up and running.

  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,679

    $90 isn't as bad of overpayment.  It's still more expensive than the $70 Antec TruePower New 650 W, while offering less wattage on the +12 V rail(s), lower energy efficiency, fewer PCI-E power connectors (e.g., it can't handle two 6870s in CrossFire), and coming from a less reputable power supply company.  The last point is true whether it's Antec versus Cooler Master selling the power supply or Seasonic versus FSP building it.  But that's an awfully good deal on the Antec TruePower New, more so than a bad deal on what you got.

  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

    Originally posted by Quizzical

    $90 isn't as bad of overpayment.  It's still more expensive than the $70 Antec TruePower New 650 W, while offering less wattage on the +12 V rail(s), lower energy efficiency, and coming from a less reputable power supply company.  The last point is true whether it's Antec versus Cooler Master selling the power supply or Seasonic versus FSP building it.  But that's an awfully good deal on the Antec TruePower New, more so than a bad deal on what you got.

    I think I would have gone for the Antec there to even if my personal choice is a Corsair instead (not the modular crap but the classic one, it is solid).

    I had a few Antecs and while one had a annoying problem with the contact (if someone touched the cable it could turn of the computer, annoying if someone stepped on the cable while going out for a smoke) they otherwise worked flawless and actually delivered at least what they were supposed to.

    Cooler mater is not that great, still not one of the worst (they make pretty good fans) but far from the other 2.

  • jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,696

    Yeah you guys are probably right about the PSU. I'll just cross my fingers when I try the first boot, hopefully that will do the trick :) Come to think of it I have never owned a computer that I didn't have to replace the PSU at least once.

  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,679

    A lot of Cooler Master's power supplies are junk, but the Silent Pro ones are pretty good.  I wouldn't worry about the power supply not being good enough.  My comments about the power supply are more that you could have gotten something else that was also good enough for cheaper.

    If you had paid $150 for that 8 GB of memory, for example, I'd have said you could have gotten it cheaper.  For that matter, I was about to say that the 8 GB of memory was a waste of money until I saw how cheap you got it.

  • jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,696

    Originally posted by Quizzical

    $90 isn't as bad of overpayment.  It's still more expensive than the $70 Antec TruePower New 650 W, while offering less wattage on the +12 V rail(s), lower energy efficiency, fewer PCI-E power connectors (e.g., it can't handle two 6870s in CrossFire), and coming from a less reputable power supply company.  The last point is true whether it's Antec versus Cooler Master selling the power supply or Seasonic versus FSP building it.  But that's an awfully good deal on the Antec TruePower New, more so than a bad deal on what you got.

    Are you sure that it won't hook up two 6850s? My card has just a 6 pin connector and the specs of the PSU state "Two 6+2 pin PCI-E connectors for multiple graphic card set-ups." Also it says CF certified and SLI ready.

  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,679

    It can handle two 6850s, but not two 6870s.  A 6850 takes one 6-pin PCI-E power connector, while a 6870 takes two.  It's really pathetic for a "700 W" power supply not to have the connectors to handle two 6870s.  But then, the 700 W rating is fake.  You're better off thinking of it as a reasonably good 600 W power supply, or maybe 650 W.

    Though you might want to consider that if you upgrade video cards in the future, the new cards are likely to take two 6-pin PCI-E power connectors each, so you won't have enough connectors for two cards.  For example, a Radeon HD 5830 and 5850 each take two connectors.  So does a GeForce GTX 460, whether the 1 GB or 0.75 GB version.  Those are decently nice cards (around $200 each) of course, but they're not super high end cards.

  • killerkrillkillerkrill Member Posts: 4

    Did a quick search on Ebay and amazon: The motherboard, graphics card, and CPU all are quiet a bit cheaper.

  • noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170


    Originally posted by Quizzical
    It can handle two 6850s, but not two 6870s.  A 6850 takes one 6-pin PCI-E power connector, while a 6870 takes two.  It's really pathetic for a "700 W" power supply not to have the connectors to handle two 6870s.  But then, the 700 W rating is fake.  You're better off thinking of it as a reasonably good 600 W power supply, or maybe 650 W.
    Though you might want to consider that if you upgrade video cards in the future, the new cards are likely to take two 6-pin PCI-E power connectors each, so you won't have enough connectors for two cards.  For example, a Radeon HD 5830 and 5850 each take two connectors.  So does a GeForce GTX 460, whether the 1 GB or 0.75 GB version.  Those are decently nice cards (around $200 each) of course, but they're not super high end cards.

    He can still use 4-pin molex -> 6-pin PCI-e adapters to power the cards. The PSU is a single rail PSU so it doesn't matter which lines you pull the power off of.

  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,679

    Originally posted by noquarter

     

    He can still use 4-pin molex -> 6-pin PCI-e adapters to power the cards. The PSU is a single rail PSU so it doesn't matter which lines you pull the power off of.

    Yeah, you can do that to get all of the connections there.  I usually look at it as, if the power supply doesn't have very many connectors, there's probably a good reason for it--meaning, that it may not be able to safely deliver as much power as the connectors could pull.  Now, that's not much of a concern if they're cards with a TDP of 151 W, so that they barely need the second connector.

    But there's also the problem that you run out of molex connectors.  The power supply only has five, and two 2x molex -> 6-pin PCI-E power connector will use four of those five.  That leaves exactly one molex connector available for anything other than video cards.  My case needs four just for the case fans.  He may be able to connect some fans to the motherboard, but that's still awfully short on connectors.

  • noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170


    Originally posted by Quizzical

    Originally posted by noquarter
     
    He can still use 4-pin molex -> 6-pin PCI-e adapters to power the cards. The PSU is a single rail PSU so it doesn't matter which lines you pull the power off of.
    Yeah, you can do that to get all of the connections there.  I usually look at it as, if the power supply doesn't have very many connectors, there's probably a good reason for it--meaning, that it may not be able to safely deliver as much power as the connectors could pull.  Now, that's not much of a concern if they're cards with a TDP of 151 W, so that they barely need the second connector.
    But there's also the problem that you run out of molex connectors.  The power supply only has five, and two 2x molex -> 6-pin PCI-E power connector will use four of those five.  That leaves exactly one molex connector available for anything other than video cards.  My case needs four just for the case fans.  He may be able to connect some fans to the motherboard, but that's still awfully short on connectors.

    Molex splitters!

  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,679

    Originally posted by noquarter

     

    Molex splitters!

    Can it be made to work?  Probably.  But again, one would have to be careful not to draw too much power through too few wires.  Case fans probably don't take that much power, though.  Cable length is an issue as well.  And if you're having to buy additional power adapters, that's cost++; again.

Sign In or Register to comment.