Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This look more RPG than MMORPG

2»

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Originally posted by TpainT

Don't make the mistake of going to the FireFall forums and posting something about the game being a mmo; the natives come out of the woodwork with pitchforks and torches.

• TpainTTpainT Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by Asheram

Don't make the mistake of going to the FireFall forums and posting something about the game being a mmo; the natives come out of the woodwork with pitchforks and torches.

Thanks for the laugh!

• zonzaizonzai Member Posts: 358

You forgot to add mustaches, we'll come after you with mustaches too.

And by the way, Firefall is not an MMORPG. 

(Let the flaming commence.)

(No really, don't.  I'm just trolling.  That's just some BS I made up on the spot.)

• xanahlxanahl Member Posts: 18

Did not read the thread but i can guarantee that this is not a true MMO. They label their game as a "multiplayer co-op action shooter", think borderlands meets global agenda. There will be an online campaign which you can play with your friends, as in about 5 players. Then there will be larger player caps for PvP, but no where near the ammount of players for the game to be classified as an mmo.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Originally posted by xanahl

Did not read the thread but i can guarantee that this is not a true MMO. They label their game as a "multiplayer co-op action shooter", think borderlands meets global agenda. There will be an online campaign which you can play with your friends, as in about 5 players. Then there will be larger player caps for PvP, but no where near the ammount of players for the game to be classified as an mmo.

Nothing like Global Agenda where you only see the 3 other people in your group during your mission.Big open persistant world with dynamic events "hundreds" of players not 5 in same zone.People need to quit with this"It's not an MMO why is it listed on this site" trip, even tho the name of the site is "mmorpg.com" it isnt "justmmorpg.com" or "mmorpgonly.com" etc.

I keep hearing that there will be only hundreds of players in the game. What exactly does that mean?

Originally Posted by McMayhem :

During our demo at PAX we talked about the open world and how hundreds of players will be in the open world space at the same time. Meaning as you run around the landscape you can bump into other squads, individuals, armies, other human controlled players essentially. You might also see them at Dredge, the mining town we showed at PAX. Hope that clarifies it more.

I guess what I want to know is whether or not this is just another shooter (only with more players than normal) or if the world is going to be dynamic and filled with all sorts of different things to do.

Originally Posted by Phobos :

The thumper mission is an example of a dynamic mission that happens in the world. Crystite is a very valuable resource. You use it to upgrade your equipment, your army technology tree, and it's a base form of currency in Firefall. You may just be walking through the world one day and stumble upon a Crystite deposit or you might be given a mission to go find one. You'll probably want to do it in order to advance some part of your progression.

The world is full of dynamic events. The attack on Dredge that we showed at PAX was another dynamic event. Normally, Dredge is not under attack. It's a perfectly peaceful town, but due to it's location and the valuable resources that are mined there, the town can come under attack by the Chosen.

Everyone in the area is notified of the attack and it's up to them to defend the town or lose it. If the town is lost, it will have to be regained before the city is usable again. This means that any missions, the forge, the dropship pad, etc are all gone until you, as players, fight to take the city back.

Other missions are based on time of day, time of week, time of year, or even player actions. We are trying very hard to make the open-world feel like a living and breathing place where things happen and you have the chance to make a difference.

These dynamic missions are on top of the story missions that will be part of the co-op campaign. There should be plenty for you to experience and enjoy. And all of that doesn't even include the competitive multiplayer which we haven't released details on yet.

Hope that answers your question.