Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

From HATER to FANBOI

UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

Well, I am eating crow...I have made fun of this game since its release, but finally gave it a try after a frustrating day in another MMO.

I had pondered blowing $39 just to try it for months and finally bought the game.

WOW...I really really enjoy it!

The UI is very intuitive, graphis r amazing, its fun and rewarding.

I spent alot of time customizing my new character as well.

I can understand how some people like myself were possible turned off by yet another "cutsie tootsie" MMO aka like some Asian MMOs are.

But I was surprised in how Aion bridges the gap between western and Eastern style.

A very happy medium for both.

Comments

  • Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

    The new patch really made Aion a better game overall. A lot more accessable, easier to level, and a lot less frustrating in the PvP zones.

     

    ~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

    imageimageimage
    image
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

    I really enjoyed the game-play for the first few months, but what had me shelve this one after 3 months were the hunting bots and gold-sellers that just interfered with my questing and personal hunting. Their botting presence was prolific, very rampant, and very intrusive. I just said f-it....I'm not competing with hackers.  Knowing that there isn't a game with hackers, It wouldn't have made much of an impact on my perception or feeling about game-play had it not been so prevalent, but it was at the time; dont know how it is now.

     

    Gold sellers.  These folks pm'ing and sitting in about every shop/city zone botting their site announcement and advertising their gold and power-leveling.  Another significant break in immersion, interest, and nothing but an annoyance.  Again, I can accept that they are in every game, but the great extent that they were openly and constantly inescapable within city and shop areas just made me question the lack of seriousness of preventing it by the devs at the time.  Sure I can report and ignore, which I did, but the next day more popped.  They are probable delt with more immediately now, but again, this was my first 3 months, my first impression, which is my lasting impression of the game, unfortunately.

     

    The PvP was very fun, very suspensful on both sides, the cooperative and competitive instances of rifts opening and being on your guard or pursuing a quest in an alternate factions zone was very exciting and dynamically engaging; I thoroughly enjoyed it.  But as I rose through the ranks of leveling, it just became redundant and non-purposeful for me. . .I guess I really didnt conceptually get or understand the game-play purpose, measure of your factions value for holding a fort (or whatever).Maybe if I was with a more active guild, it would have been different.  Maybe I out-leveled the content to quickly, dont know, but the journey was really fun, though I found the destination a bit underwelming at the time.  (maybe I was level 45, cant remember).

     

    None-the-less, after  3-months, I felt as though I got my entertainment value for the dollar.

  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

    wile Aion has come a LONG way from that horrible grind fest it used to be it still not quite living to all it's poential.

    the leveling is much faster and funner then it used to be with many more solo quests.it's much easier to get gold and therfore less grind for everything you need to buy. combat does feel more fluid then before. graphics are still awesome.

    as for things they have to improve:

    pvp. the last big patch pretty much killed rifting which is was the most innovative and unique feature of this game. Abyss is almost always empty since it's pretty much only big zergs steam rolling everything. they seriously need battle grounds in this game or a way to make rifting viable and fair (leve 30 deava gear was the  stupides idea they ever had). yes yes i know "BG kills world pvp" but BGs are the only way to have some fair pvp and in the end that is the funnest kind.

    end game. there is really very little to do at end game except grind Abyss poitns for gear. then agian there is nobody in the Abyss to fight for points. farming the same PvE instances over and over gets boring fast.

  • CorruptedCorrupted Member Posts: 310

    Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

    I really enjoyed the game-play for the first few months, but what had me shelve this one after 3 months were the hunting bots and gold-sellers that just interfered with my questing and personal hunting. Their botting presence was prolific, very rampant, and very intrusive. I just said f-it....I'm not competing with hackers.  Knowing that there isn't a game with hackers, It wouldn't have made much of an impact on my perception or feeling about game-play had it not been so prevalent, but it was at the time; dont know how it is now.

     

    Gold sellers.  These folks pm'ing and sitting in about every shop/city zone botting their site announcement and advertising their gold and power-leveling.  Another significant break in immersion, interest, and nothing but an annoyance.  Again, I can accept that they are in every game, but the great extent that they were openly and constantly inescapable within city and shop areas just made me question the lack of seriousness of preventing it by the devs at the time.  Sure I can report and ignore, which I did, but the next day more popped.  They are probable delt with more immediately now, but again, this was my first 3 months, my first impression, which is my lasting impression of the game, unfortunately.

     

    The PvP was very fun, very suspensful on both sides, the cooperative and competitive instances of rifts opening and being on your guard or pursuing a quest in an alternate factions zone was very exciting and dynamically engaging; I thoroughly enjoyed it.  But as I rose through the ranks of leveling, it just became redundant and non-purposeful for me. . .I guess I really didnt conceptually get or understand the game-play purpose, measure of your factions value for holding a fort (or whatever).Maybe if I was with a more active guild, it would have been different.  Maybe I out-leveled the content to quickly, dont know, but the journey was really fun, though I found the destination a bit underwelming at the time.  (maybe I was level 45, cant remember).

     

    None-the-less, after  3-months, I felt as though I got my entertainment value for the dollar.

    ^x2

    I agree completely to the above. I have also heard that they have updated alot since then and had actually thought about coming back to the game but unfortunately, I found out my account had gotten hacked and my original name I had used was gone due to the NA / EU merge.

    image

  • Sorrows101Sorrows101 Member Posts: 23

    As far as the bots post I dont know when you last played but that problem has for the most part been totally resolved...There is very rarely a spam message for gold...and I basically never see a bot..and it has been this way for quite a few months.  If you were hacked you simply need to write a ticket and i am sure they will resolve your account issue.

  • xBludxxBludx Member Posts: 376

    Originally posted by Sorrows101

    As far as the bots post I dont know when you last played but that problem has for the most part been totally resolved...There is very rarely a spam message for gold...and I basically never see a bot..and it has been this way for quite a few months.  If you were hacked you simply need to write a ticket and i am sure they will resolve your account issue.

    I just came back and I'm having a lot of fun, too. I think the game is way better than it was last year after launch. I haven't see any bots or noticed any gold spam either.

  • QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

    Although Aion drew me back in w/ 2.0, it still didn't keep me.  The game is beautiful, the combat is interesting.  Hard to put a finger on it, but just one day I brought up the title screen and realized that I wasn't having fun.  I haven't been back.  

    One more thing...I don't care what anybody says about flying, portals, windstreams, etc...this game needs mounts ASAP.  

  • Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

    Korean patch this week has aion moving to 64bit client(finally) which we should see early next year.  Looking forward to that :)

  • EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

    So you were a hater but then you played the game and changed the mind? Why did you hate it if you didn't play it?

  • andmillerandmiller Member Posts: 374

    Originally posted by oattoaster

    I love beef tongue sandwiches...mmmmmmmm.  My buddy refused to try because he was all like 'Beef tongue?......GAG!' though he had never tried and was adamant that he never would.

    I was at this awesome deli the other day and they had AWESOME tongue sandwiches....I called my buddy and asked him if he'd like for me to pick him up a corned beef sandwich for lunch, he replied 'Oh would'ja.....corned beef sandwiches are my favorite....I'll pay you back'.   So I bought 2x tongue sandwiches and proceeded to his house for lunch.

    After the greatest sandwich ever my friend rubs his belly and says 'You were right man, that deli has the absolute best corned beef ever!'.   I said  'Well those 2 tongue sandwiches we just ate kinda prove that tongue is like a better version of corned beef.  Wouldn't you agree?'  He made a strange face....pauses....and says 'I wonder how many other disgusting things are actually good?'

    He now tries every wierd dish he finds.....before he was all burgers and fries.

    He says to me the other day 'That tongue sandwich you bought me that day led me to finding all my favorite food now.....I was missing out on so much and didn't even know it!'

    What a dumbass.

    Profound.

  • avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 790

    As one of the original players of AION who left a year ago (played beta and the first 3 months) I am back and and enjoying the game so far.  There are still issues (like the constant whispers from a gold seller that cannot be blocked and the lag for those who live in Australia), but overall the game is greatly improved.  More quests, more exp, more drops, less Pvp ganking in rift areas, and more areas to quest in.  The game is headed in the right direction. 

  • augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

    Originally posted by avalon1000

    As one of the original players of AION who left a year ago (played beta and the first 3 months) I am back and and enjoying the game so far.  There are still issues (like the constant whispers from a gold seller that cannot be blocked and the lag for those who live in Australia), but overall the game is greatly improved.  More quests, more exp, more drops, less Pvp ganking in rift areas, and more areas to quest in.  The game is headed in the right direction. 

    If you right click the spammers name you should see a block option.

    I agree the game is headed in the right direction.  There is supposed to be some "westernized" rifting changes, housing, mounts and more in the next year.  

  • monothmonoth Member Posts: 551

    Originally posted by Miles-Prower

    The new patch really made Aion a better game overall. A lot more accessable, easier to level, and a lot less frustrating in the PvP zones.

     

    ~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

     How did they make it less frustrating in the pvp zones?   Nothing has changed in PvP except the fact they destroyed rifting with their new 80% defensive buffs, now NOBODY rifts. 

     

    Upper Abyss PvP still sucks unless your a range class, Lower Abyss suck because there are so many mobs you can't fight another player without mobs aggroing on you.

     

    The Increased drop rates have just increased inflation, so the extra kinah you make from the extra drops is still spent on the same items because they have gotten more expensive.

  • Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

    Originally posted by monoth

    Originally posted by Miles-Prower

    The new patch really made Aion a better game overall. A lot more accessable, easier to level, and a lot less frustrating in the PvP zones.

     

    ~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

     How did they make it less frustrating in the pvp zones?   Nothing has changed in PvP except the fact they destroyed rifting with their new 80% defensive buffs, now NOBODY rifts. 

     

    Upper Abyss PvP still sucks unless your a range class, Lower Abyss suck because there are so many mobs you can't fight another player without mobs aggroing on you.

     

    The Increased drop rates have just increased inflation, so the extra kinah you make from the extra drops is still spent on the same items because they have gotten more expensive.

    The funny thing is rifting is not pvp....it was a gankfest were people would get caught with their pants down while questing.  Plus the increased drops made it more affordable to walk around in blues and golds. Gold items cost more when there are less of them not hte other way around.  Overall, Aion needs to work on PVP and endgame content. Hopefully, like in the Visions trailer we will see new abilities, swimming ,mounts, and housing in the future. If you look on the forums the devs are making a effort to listen to the players (finally lol).  It can only get better.

  • xBludxxBludx Member Posts: 376

    Originally posted by Lathander81

     

    The funny thing is rifting is not pvp....it was a gankfest were people would get caught with their pants down while questing. 

    I have to agree with this. I'm happy with this change. It's not that you're unprepared, but it was the huge level disparity of the gankers coming in to farm much lower levels. I'm glad that's gone and I don't want to see it return.

    Rifting can be cool if it pits relatively equal level players against each other.

  • Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

    Rifting never was and still is not the PvP solution.  As someone already mentioned it was a gankers paradise basically.  Take this guy, it's people like him that ruined rifting.  PvP should be fair to some degree, not a level 35 with full pvp gear sets with +10 killing newbies trying to quest and level. 

     

    http://na.aiononline.com/livestatus/character-legion/search?charID=597881&serverID=4

  • xBludxxBludx Member Posts: 376

    Originally posted by Shatter30

    Rifting never was and still is not the PvP solution.  As someone already mentioned it was a gankers paradise basically.  Take this guy, it's people like him that ruined rifting.  PvP should be fair to some degree, not a level 35 with full pvp gear sets with +10 killing newbies trying to quest and level. 

     

    http://na.aiononline.com/livestatus/character-legion/search?charID=597881&serverID=4

    Agree

  • TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

    I'm about to come back myself after some complications, I enjoyed it last time I played (I think last spring) and the changes are looking good. If I heard right, there's double XP coming as well?

    image
    image

  • HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

    Originally posted by sookster54

    I'm about to come back myself after some complications, I enjoyed it last time I played (I think last spring) and the changes are looking good. If I heard right, there's double XP coming as well?

    Not only double XP. There is also a 10 day free reactivation coming up.

    Check out the NA event calendar or the EU calendar.

    Hope you haven't resubbed just yet - You might as well enjoy the 10 free days :-)

    We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

  • SainthoodSainthood Member Posts: 104

    Do you have to pay for expansion or is it free.

  • HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

    Originally posted by Sainthood

    Do you have to pay for expansion or is it free.

    The expansion is free...

    We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

  • augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

    Originally posted by Sainthood

    Do you have to pay for expansion or is it free.

    The expansion is free.

Sign In or Register to comment.