Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All Points Bulletin: Basic vs Premium Accounts Explained

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

GamersFirst CTO and COO Bjorn Book-Larsson has penned a new blog post about All Points Bulletin. He stresses that, as the company's name implies, regular updates are required in order to keep "gamers first". In this particular post, Book-Larsson discusses the differences between basic  and premium accounts in APB once the game goes live in early 2011.

Therefore one of the original RTW guys (now contracting with us) Johann, came up with what we think is a really elegant solution to the problem of getting flooded with complex content; instead of limiting what you can customize as a free player, you will be allowed to customize almost anything, but you will not be able to store (and share) complex customizations above a certain complexity level unless you are a Premium player AT THE TIME OF CUSTOMIZATION. This has several benefits, first it would limit the amount of content pushed to everyone else in the game from free players (which would reduce the amount of loading required), but it would also let you be Premium for just one month, create a lot of customizations that month, and then use those items later on (even if your Premium membership has lapsed).

Read more here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• khelbonkhelbon Member UncommonPosts: 124

Interesting to see how this is going to pan out.

• lars1134lars1134 Member Posts: 106

good news:)

• nobotttersnobottters Member Posts: 88

lol, you'll be lucky to have 1000 free players, why are you wasting your time, oh wait it was a scam from the beginning..you found out your game was a complete bust, realizing how kids will exploit your game, cuz you exploited all real game developers and programmers years ago to make more cash, now you have newbs with no expierience designing your current failures.. you halt production on game, divert 50 million in funds to create a game on the side, fooling and frauding your investers, making them think you spend $100+ million on this trash, then you pawn off this game to some friends for dirt cheap in bankruptcy.. then contract back the designers... sell off the other game for no money to a new fraud created company sealed off from public eyes to make sure the owner retains ownership.. and come back here thinking you can milk this dud even more..

Totally pathetic... Your game is trash, pull the plug already.. no one cares for your pathetic hack invested exploited game. It's not even fun.. the ones having fun are the hackers... so here's a tip.. install a aimbot and noone will care about your patheticly designed system that is overflooded with requests of sharing low rez clothes in ridiculousy lower rez solutions

Regards,
    Nobotters - A better gaming experience

• nobotttersnobottters Member Posts: 88

btw your real problem i think lies in the fact you are transferring huge graphic files over? the whole point of the shape building system was so you can just transfer text over no? then the end client can build the images, thus no real bandwidth restraints.. did you fire your programmers before completing the obvious?

Regards,
    Nobotters - A better gaming experience

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by nobottters

lol, you'll be lucky to have 1000 free players, why are you wasting your time, oh wait it was a scam from the beginning..you found out your game was a complete bust, realizing how kids will exploit your game, cuz you exploited all real game developers and programmers years ago to make more cash, now you have newbs with no expierience designing your current failures.. you halt production on game, divert 50 million in funds to create a game on the side, fooling and frauding your investers, making them think you spend $100+ million on this trash, then you pawn off this game to some friends for dirt cheap in bankruptcy.. then contract back the designers... sell off the other game for no money to a new fraud created company sealed off from public eyes to make sure the owner retains ownership.. and come back here thinking you can milk this dud even more..

Totally pathetic... Your game is trash, pull the plug already.. no one cares for your pathetic hack invested exploited game. It's not even fun.. the ones having fun are the hackers... so here's a tip.. install a aimbot and noone will care about your patheticly designed system that is overflooded with requests of sharing low rez clothes in ridiculousy lower rez solutions

Tell us how you really feel nobotters?

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Well, that was a... vague explanation at best.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Originally posted by nobottters

btw your real problem i think lies in the fact you are transferring huge graphic files over? the whole point of the shape building system was so you can just transfer text over no? then the end client can build the images, thus no real bandwidth restraints.. did you fire your programmers before completing the obvious?

You never played the game or used its editor did you? They aren't sending huge graphics files over, but they STILL have to limit the number of "images" used to create another image. Each image has properties such as color, location, rotation, stretch, twist, overlay maps (making things streaked for example), size, opacity, yadda yadda yadda. And when you put a bunch of them together to make one, that's quite a bit of info everyone around you has to download, and since a car or persona has MANY of these on them usually, it gets expensive to keep sending them out (since storing them would be a waste, since I like to tweak my images quite a bit, and if you had to store every single one on your local computer....).

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

What strikes me as humorous is this is basically a P2P payment system with an unlimited free (limited) trial. How is this "F2P".... because you can download and play the trial for free?

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

All this information is basically useless because the publisher is well known for nonsupport of it's products and the exploiters had a field day with this game initially, which of course will continue to the nth degree.  Playing a game with cheaters is just not my idea of a fun game.

• TwwIXTwwIX Member Posts: 203

Once again, they're focusing on trivial shit. Maybe if they had put some time and money into the gameplay and content, the game wouldn't have bombed so bad.

• alloinalloin Member UncommonPosts: 135

And here we go again, same game, same whiners !!

The game hasn't relaunched yet & you wish it to doom. Give the new developers a chance to prove them ('with a new game' before you start whining about their other games).

I'm sure they COULD make this game what's it supposed to be, if they will succeed.. is a matter of time to tell.

I'll sure get/buy the game & a premium membership!

We are all satoshi!
  • zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

Originally posted by alloin

And here we go again, same game, same whiners !!

The game hasn't relaunched yet & you wish it to doom. Give the new developers a chance to prove them ('with a new game' before you start whining about their other games).

I'm sure they COULD make this game what's it supposed to be, if they will succeed.. is a matter of time to tell.

I'll sure get/buy the game & a premium membership!

I have to agree with TwiIX. I honestly dont give a F about their WAY to make MONEY.THEY are NOT going to make money if the dont IMPROVE the GAME. So  if i was a Dev./Ceo'ish person that just pick up a game like APB and its issues, I would address the public about the MAIN concern(s) not how they plan to PAY for the F'n servers lol. Honestly posting something LIKE this first shows me they are going to try and milk it for what money they can before it kraps out in a year or 2,and ya i know a company/buisness needs to make money to support an online game.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I think one of the problems with a game that has been canned is it fades away in the collective consciousness of gamers and is forgotten.  The weekly updates are merely a way of saying, hey, we are still here don't forget about us and by the way the game is coming back.

The information itself is interesting from a business standpoint as well as a gaming standpoint as many people who played the game were extensively invested in the creation process.  I had a friend in my guild for instance who was a very talented artist and was making good money creating custom content for other guilds and players.  So I think to some the post is very relevant as to what the game may look like going forward in terms of content creation with f2p vs premium.

Guys relax, the weekly updates are not addressed to you specifically but rather the APB community collectively and anyone interested.  Some weeks they may talk about things you are interested in, other weeks not so much.

Everyone who played the game knows where the game went south.  If they continually talk about their anticheat plans it 1) gives insight to hackers on what the game has planned, 2) keeps their chief failure foremost in the collective consciousness while introducing a negative aspect to people ignorant of that fact and 3) set themselves up to be judged on that basis when the game launches and 4) sets a self defeating standard since we know all online games have cheaters.

Personally, I'm just gonna wait and see.  I miss the game.  If it is no better atleast it will be f2p.

• nirvanetnirvanet Member UncommonPosts: 95

Game was fun... one week not more.

I hope they will add more missions variants & more immersion because this last summer i lost too many $$$ for... NOTHING :S

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

Originally posted by Terranah

I think one of the problems with a game that has been canned is it fades away in the collective consciousness of gamers and is forgotten.  The weekly updates are merely a way of saying, hey, we are still here don't forget about us and by the way the game is coming back.

The information itself is interesting from a business standpoint as well as a gaming standpoint as many people who played the game were extensively invested in the creation process.  I had a friend in my guild for instance who was a very talented artist and was making good money creating custom content for other guilds and players.  So I think to some the post is very relevant as to what the game may look like going forward in terms of content creation with f2p vs premium.

Guys relax, the weekly updates are not addressed to you specifically but rather the APB community collectively and anyone interested.  Some weeks they may talk about things you are interested in, other weeks not so much.

Everyone who played the game knows where the game went south.  If they continually talk about their anticheat plans it 1) gives insight to hackers on what the game has planned, 2) keeps their chief failure foremost in the collective consciousness while introducing a negative aspect to people ignorant of that fact and 3) set themselves up to be judged on that basis when the game launches and 4) sets a self defeating standard since we know all online games have cheaters.

Personally, I'm just gonna wait and see.  I miss the game.  If it is no better atleast it will be f2p.

I hear what your saying, but tbh this info should have been one of the last things they released to the APB community,whats left of it. the last thing I want to hear is how they are going to make money.