Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have trouble enjoying EVE, will this game be the same?

DolmongDolmong Member Posts: 515

I am still waiting for them to put in their visa card payment system, so in the meantime I do wanna ask the people who played/playing it .....

I have come back and gone for EVE for quite some time, and EVE was undoubtly a steep game that I do love to explore to play it, but it just can't hook me up with the combat and warping issues that makes me everytime either idle or afking... Also the lack of people and corp that I tried to join to help me out turned me off as well (yup that is my personal issue, I know everyone enjoys the game with your corp a lot)

So my question is will I still be enjoy this game while people said this game in many aspect is similar to EVE?

Here are the things I like about EVE:

1.) Player Driven Economy

2.) Steep game that has a lot of things to try out and explore (even the menu and the market system)

3.) One World = One Server

4.) Lots of people playing around you

5.) You can be carebear, and you can be mean pirate, freedom of choice

Things I don't like about EVE:

1.) Large space and many players, but always felt empty in the game

2.) So hard to meet nice people to start out with (my personal experience)

3.) 3 characters ???  I wish they just make people can own one character

4.) Steep Learning Curve

5.) Time Consuming when warping

6.) Training skills queue (not always that bad, but just gotta hate to wait 15 days sometimes to just train one skill :( )

Any advice or suggestions wiill be welcome !! =)  thx !!

Comments

• MordeathMordeath Member Posts: 131

There are many things in the game similar to EVE. I think thats why the comparisons abound. I dont like EVE, so let me get that out there so you understand my point of view. If you like EVE you will probably like this. It seems to have excellent moderator support and the mechanics feel similar but your a ground based avatar not a ship. There are plenty of people currently as the game is still new. People are nice from what I've seen. I think the company has taken a page from the EVE dev's and slowly ramping this out. So if you like EVE, like the mech idea and want something new its a good deal.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Here are the things I like about EVE:

1.) Player Driven Economy - Yes, will be a strength

2.) Steep game that has a lot of things to try out and explore (even the menu and the market system) Yes, is similar to EVE

3.) One World = One Server Yes

4.) Lots of people playing around you - Land area is large, BUT I think more concentrated than EVE. More like a regular MMO, there are hubs where you will see more people.

5.) You can be carebear, and you can be mean pirate, freedom of choice - Yes

1.) Large space and many players, but always felt empty in the game - Yes, see above

2.) So hard to meet nice people to start out with (my personal experience) community is so far been great in my XP, but probably too soon to tell.

3.) 3 characters ???  I wish they just make people can own one character  You share you skill points, so....I dk

4.) Steep Learning Curve - don't know, was easier for me to learn than EVE, but I think it has less content right now - not surprisingly since it just launched.

5.) Time Consuming when warping - Traveling is slower and more dangerous really. We've had 'treks' with groups of people to get places safely.

6.) Training skills queue (not always that bad, but just gotta hate to wait 15 days sometimes to just train one skill :( ) - it works a bit differently, you accumulate points and can spend them any time. In beta, I ended up having extra points since I didn't have money to spend on the parts yet.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

A lot of people probably told you already all that but I'll post my comments too for each section:

Yup its definitely there in PO. Except that it will take a while of course for it to balance out. Prices are going pretty crazy right now.

2.) Steep game that has a lot of things to try out and explore (even the menu and the market system)

If you compare todays EVE to PO - well EVE of course has more stuff to do. PO just released so a lot of things will be added during the game progress. But PO is definitely not a solo game. If you play solo you'll just end up grinding assignments which may get very boring. But PO definitely has everything for any type of gamplay based on your choice. You're not forced into doing anything. You can do a tutorial and just move into Beta Lands and get your droid blown up to pieces by PvP players :). PO shines when you are a member of a corporation. But there is definitely a lot to learn in PO.

3.) One World = One Server

Same in Perpetuum.

4.) Lots of people playing around you

Oh yeah, especially now, droids are zooming passed everywhere. Its like a bee-hive right now :).

Yeah, except that I didn't find anything really interesting if you play only PvE content. As I've mentioned it will be a grind of faction. Basically you chose a faction that you want to increase a standing and each "terminal building" has like 3 assignments for a certain type of faction. Transport things, Kill things, Mine things - those are basic assignments available in game and everything is developed around them.

So the PvE version is pretty boring cause it based on grinding faction which means repeating same assignments if you want to work only on one faction reputation. Basically if you set your character for pure military career - its like get a mission go kill 5 droids, then deliver their loot, and rinse and repeat 30-50 times until you get access to level 2 assignments and then do the same there. In the middle of course building, researching, developing, but so early in the game everyone is grinding mobs for kernels to research the prototypes and sell something on the market. Its a good time imho to join the game while market is empty and earn your place on it and share of wealth.

But research and development is sorta team based on PO. It takes a team effort to grind enough kernels for prototype research. You can also get blueprints but you need to loot special rare items to perform reverse engineering ... etc.

1.) Large space and many players, but always felt empty in the game

This is pretty large game but you'll actually hate other players because they step on your shoes everywhere. You go to complete assignment and places are camped because people grind for kernels :). This will be better in a wekk i think, when people move to higher level missions. But this game has a lot of potential for some mega botting. People play on 2-3 accounts right now.

2.) So hard to meet nice people to start out with (my personal experience)

Thats in every game. You may switch few corps before you finally find the real one.

Same in PO. People play multiple characters to try and grasp as much of the game as possible so they don't feel left behind or left out. EP points so called skill points in PO they regenerate and you can spend them on whatever you want. You get 20.000 points and then they regenerate every 10 minutes or so.I think you get 1440 points every day. So while in EVE skill training was based on time, in PO skill point regeneration is based on time. If you don't wanna roll 3 characters then you definitely want to join a corp.

4.) Steep Learning Curve

PO has pretty steep one too. There are no guides. So do some forums and help reading first. Tutorial only covers basics, doesn't even cover how to insure your droid. Its getting time to used to map, waypoint system. Mining is a bit different than in EVE, you have to prospect first, use gescanner, and everything is based on ammo in PO, even geoscanner using charges for specific ore, similar to as mining turrets are using mining charges...

5.) Time Consuming when warping

PO is ground based but you will spend a lot of time travelling between terminals and assignment locations. So while there is no warping there is still that same time sink that most of MMOs are based on. If you decide to explore you may spend hours since droids are prety slow. You can use of course some modules to improve speed, but witha similar logic - very fast droid won't have enough CPU and core resources to euip anything much else. In other words you can't have very fast and very tough droid.

6.) Training skills queue (not always that bad, but just gotta hate to wait 15 days sometimes to just train one skill :( )

Yeah, PO is time based training as well. Every level requires more Experience Points to train and those regen at the same rate. So while training from level 4 to 5 may take a 1 day of wait, in order to max them will take weeks and months definitely. You can have a lot of skills trained but if you don't focus on a chosen path/template (military, research and development/politics) you'll waste a lot of time and gimp your character. And there is no re-train otpions. Hope it helps :).

• xSaintxxSaintx Member UncommonPosts: 75

3.) 3 characters ??? I wish they just make people can own one character

Same in PO. People play multiple characters to try and grasp as much of the game as possible so they don't feel left behind or left out. EP points so called skill points in PO they regenerate and you can spend them on whatever you want. You get 20.000 points and then they regenerate every 10 minutes or so.I think you get 1440 points every day. So while in EVE skill training was based on time, in PO skill point regeneration is based on time. If you don't wanna roll 3 characters then you definitely want to join a corp.

It's 1 point per minute = 60 points per hour = 1440 per day.

• DolmongDolmong Member Posts: 515

Thanks guys for all the info!!

I am pretty sure I will play this, but just need to know when they accept credit card payment !! =(

see you all in game !!

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Dolmong

Only time will tell.

The economy is not setup well in Perpetuum. Trivial crafting system, way too much focus on groups and PVP, no NIC sinks, lack of PVE content - that does not make a good environment for market growth, imo.

The game is made by small team, the content is lacking on all levels.

As said, the game is lacking content and there is not much to do apart from PVP.

The alt population is probably very high in Perpetuum...

I did not comment on all points because those I find very subjective thus I cannot comment on those.

I think it is much better to compare the game to Darkfall rather than EVE. EVE is a true sandbox game(lots of options and ways how to play the game), while Perpetuum and Darkfall are PVP games - nothing much to do apart from PVP and grinding.

I am not saying Perpetuum isn't something you will like or not like, just do not make false image about the game. The game is currently ridiculously hyped and no one likes to speak about the cons or bring rather reasonable picture about the game.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

With Eve you could spend months upon month soloing, keeping yourself to yourself and still enjoy it... eventually you'll need to expand into the horizons, but you can take your time about it.

With PO, you most definatly have to find a good corp, like, straight away!...

and not just join one to so you can have friends to ask questions, but you got to get involved!   Helping with farming loot, help with transporting stuff, help with harvesting and mining, get onto teamspeak too... its difficult to explain things via text so you'll be left behind a lot if your not there, to listen at least.

Originally posted by reanor

1.) Large space and many players, but always felt empty in the gameYou go to complete assignment and places are camped because people grind for kernels :). This will be better in a wekk i think, when people move to higher level missions.

This is much deeper issue. I believe devs had or still have plans for more dynamic Assignment objective distribution but it isn't implemented and single Assignment currently send everyone to same spot. Add to that the world created by islands of limited size, the NPC are also desired farming spots and tagging/loot right system and you will get a real nightmare.

This is very much flawed mechanics, not just because there are lots of people doing Assignments.

4.) Steep Learning Curve
    PO has pretty steep one too. There are no guides. So do some forums and help reading first.

The game has very good in-game help with search function and you can even browse patch notes with this mini in-game browser.

5.) Time Consuming when warpingYou can use of course some modules to improve speed, but witha similar logic - very fast droid won't have enough CPU and core resources to euip anything much else. In other words you can't have very fast and very tough droid.

Fitting requirements of speed modules(Lightweight frame) is a non-issue but they directly reduce your armor hit points as a drawback for speed gain.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

only people that love eves lock on and auto fire till something dies combat will like PO at all, the game clearly should have had a mechwarrior style system where you aim, fire, and hit the target.

Originally posted by neorandom
    only people that love eves lock on and auto fire till something dies combat will like PO at all

The game is requires more active input than most of the games around. EVE PVE does not indeed involve more than locking a target and pressing F1 but in Perpetuum you have to keep moving and keeping line of fire clear.

Tanking is not really an option and waiting 'till something dies' will get you get killed pretty fast.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Thanks guys for all the info!!
    I am pretty sure I will play this, but just need to know when they accept credit card payment !! =(
    see you all in game !!

pretty sure you can just add a credit card to paypal.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

Originally posted by Gdemami

The game is requires more active input than most of the games around. EVE PVE does not indeed involve more than locking a target and pressing F1 but in Perpetuum you have to keep moving and keeping line of fire clear.

Tanking is not really an option and waiting 'till something dies' will get you get killed pretty fast.

/this

You play PO. Eve plays itself.

lol

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

Originally posted by BigCountry

Eve plays itself.

It doesn't. Both are different. EVE offers much broader tactical choices as well as complex combat mechanics.

It is a choice whether you prefer complex, tactical combat or more direct control, 'twitch' mechanics.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Yea, id actually say that eve is quite a bit more complex,  the reason you 'orbit and fire' is because you'd simply never have the time to deal with all the modules AND fly your space ship.. and even if you did fly your space ship you'd orbit anyway!  If you didnt then you'd take 100% more damage.

But since PO is less complex it does mean that people who struggle with eve may enjoy it more.... for the solo player however it will definatly leave them desiring more depth.