Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV lvl 20 Lancer vs tera lvl 21 lancer.

Comments

• narakuunarakuu Member Posts: 348

Originally posted by Rynne

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Originally posted by stayontarget

The only reason your butt-hurt is because XIV did not live up to your expectations and now your raging against all mmo's.

I expected XIV to have inferior combat to any real game from the very beginning...

and the game definitiely fullfilled those expectations.

Do you have anything relevant to say?

Also inferior to any other MMO.

I've played all of the big titles out there, most of the f2p's out there.

Where is this mmo that has better combat? I've played several where you can fight big monsters which is something I'm aware of makes kids really excited and feel cool, so if thats what makes the combat better to you then yes please feel that way and stay away from the big(little) bad ffxiv ^_^.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by stayontarget

Who are you to decide what people should like or dislike,  what is bad and what is good,  what is right and what is wrong.  Who do you think you are?

Hey I'm not saying people should dislike poor combat, I'm just stating the facts. No matter how much you may "like" combat in X Y Z MMO that does not change the fact that it is inferior to other games out there.

Combat is hardly ever the reason for people to play MMO's. There has to be something else. If it has even somehow decent combat, that's of course a good bonus.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

Originally posted by narakuu

Originally posted by revy66

That's because we are comparing bad combat with bad combat.

Tera, XIV, or... Bayonetta? Tera, XIV, or... Dragon Age?

The only bad combat here is from FFXIV, don't try to bring other games down to that level.

If you have played XIV and found the combat to be completely to your dislike thats fine, dont post your "taste/preference" as absolute truth though, in other words if you like flashy effects and need to bring down monsters big as houses in order to feel important thats fine but not everyone feels like thats what makes "good combat".

Easily the most boring combat in a game is found in FFXIV. If you find it good then that's your problem. C wut I did thar?

Actually if I find something enjoyable in something and manage to have fun and you dont manage to find that yourself, then you're the one who is missing out on being able to enjoy something and I dont see how thats a problem for me, more then it is a defect of yours.

If someone is given a sandwich of shit and enjoys it, then yes there is a problem. It's one's opinion to like it or dislike it but a sandwich filled with shit is universally accepted that doesn't taste so good. In which case I'd rather go with nothing.

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

Originally posted by Paradoxy

Originally posted by Paradoxy

2 combat animatons? did we watch the same video?

And what is the strategy involved in killing a bloody dodo? i can't help but laugh when FFXIV addicts like you make fun of animation , combat and strategy in other MMOS. Moreover, its a fair comparison because you can't find anything else to kill at lvl 20. The point of video was to show the variety of mobs you kill at low levels. Sorry but if there is only trash that is all you kill.

I asked this before, if you got such cool looking elite mobs/NM in FFXIV for lvl 20, go ahead make a video and post it here. I don't believe in empty words of FFXIV fans anymore. Let us make it fair shall we?

Nobody is calling a Dodo an "Elite" monster, lol.

Normal mob in XIV vs. Elite mob in tera... I would be incredibly surprised if tera didn't come out as the winner here.

I think you didn't read the last two lines. if you think its unfair comparison go ahead and post video of NM/Elite mobs from FFXIV that you get to kill at lvl 20. You guys are missing the point of this topic.

Seriously, you guys are arguing over this?!?! Really??

So, if I go and post a vid link to ohhh I dunno...this one for Tera...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQvaGjGQL48&feature=related

Are we still gonna argue about how un-scary the stupid dodo bird is? Really...its a freaking panda with a huge sword. And you dont even want to know how many bunny ears there are on youtube from the Tera archives.

The point of this topic is to say Tera is better than FFXIV. Thats all it is. There is no discussion here, its all the OP saying Tera is better and thats it. The rest is just people saying he is right or wrong. If he wanted to discuss it he would have posted a solo character in Tera fighting a trash mob just like the one he used for FFXIV.

When FFXIV brings out the NM (http://www.eorzeapedia.com/2010/11/25/new-retainer-costumes-monsters-and-more/#more-6059) then we can compare vids of elite/NM from Tera with FFXIV, until then this is just a bait thread.

As for the combat differences, they are different, thats all anyone can say and not be putting in personal preference. Under level 20 in FFXIV is noob level still, you dont have half the abilities to even count yurself a real combatant yet. So lets not run around trying to claim its the 'baseline' for comparison. Just means the person making the comparison is still a noob in FFXIV and making a level comparison to Tera (is lvl 21 in Tera still noob too? does anyone know? Are you still concidered a starting character at 20 in Tera like you are in FFXIV?)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well i have sort of got FFXIV out of my mind,so it is already hard to remeber the combat,bit imo that TERA combat is nothing special.

The FFXIV video is solo,while the TERA is 2 players.That second player in TERA looks awful,the firing animation is pew pew,looks like a cheap star wars pew pew.I also think a little too much emphasis on being better is based on the TERA mob being bigger,there are larger mobs in FFXIV,they just like to go for more realism,that TERA mob looks like a fake machine,where as FFXIV mobs look more realsitic with better detail.

As for the FFXIV being slow,yes it looked slow to me as well,perhaps the player was loading up ?If i remember you can swing your weapon sooner if so desired.I still prefer the FF games combat over any,because they utilize more thinking,and use delays for weapons,Asian based games tend to be just super fast attacks,although the TERA Tank player did have decent animation as well,but the mage firing was as i said too fast pew pew.

Might also point out ,since FFXIV uses realistic delays for it's weapons,that video shows probably the slowest weapon in the game,the Polearms,daggers are faster combat.Anyhoot,i always prefer realism over just over sized fake looking mobs or over sized weapon being swung unrealistic for the player using it.

Here is a link to fasterr combat,as pointed out already,the player does take a moment i think to select his damage choice,otherwise it is much faster combat,if that is what the OP was looking for? LINK

Another link of the same level 21 and solo.Tell me the animations are not MUCH better than that mages pew pew in the TERA video? LINK

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RynneRynne Member UncommonPosts: 497

Originally posted by Wizardry

Well i have sort of got FFXIV out of my mind,so it is already hard to remeber the combat,bit imo that TERA combat is nothing special.

The FFXIV video is solo,while the TERA is 2 players.That second player in TERA looks awful,the firing animation is pew pew,looks like a cheap star wars pew pew.I also think a little too much emphasis on being better is based on the TERA mob being bigger,there are larger mobs in FFXIV,they just like to go for more realism,that TERA mob looks like a fake machine,where as FFXIV mobs look more realsitic with better detail.

As for the FFXIV being slow,yes it looked slow to me as well,perhaps the player was loading up ?If i remember you can swing your weapon sooner if so desired.I still prefer the FF games combat over any,because they utilize more thinking,and use delays for weapons,Asian based games tend to be just super fast attacks,although the TERA Tank player did have decent animation as well,but the mage firing was as i said too fast pew pew.

Might also point out ,since FFXIV uses realistic delays for it's weapons,that video shows probably the slowest weapon in the game,the Polearms,daggers are faster combat.Anyhoot,i always prefer realism over just over sized fake looking mobs or over sized weapon being swung unrealistic for the player using it.

If realism is accompanied by suckiness then no thanks.

The only bad combat here is from FFXIV, don't try to bring other games down to that level.

If you have played XIV and found the combat to be completely to your dislike thats fine, dont post your "taste/preference" as absolute truth though, in other words if you like flashy effects and need to bring down monsters big as houses in order to feel important thats fine but not everyone feels like thats what makes "good combat".

Easily the most boring combat in a game is found in FFXIV. If you find it good then that's your problem. C wut I did thar?

Actually if I find something enjoyable in something and manage to have fun and you dont manage to find that yourself, then you're the one who is missing out on being able to enjoy something and I dont see how thats a problem for me, more then it is a defect of yours.

If someone is given a sandwich of shit and enjoys it, then yes there is a problem. It's one's opinion to like it or dislike it but a sandwich filled with shit is universally accepted that doesn't taste so good. In which case I'd rather go with nothing.

The only problem would be that shit is actually physically harmful and bad for you, FFXIV is not since its a game. I'm able to enjoy a game which means I have a feeling of enjoyment while I play it, thats not harmful thats a good thing. You arent able to reproduce that feeling while playing the game, which is a loss unless you want to tell me you dont want to enjoy things. There are several games out there I'm unable to enjoy but alot of people seem to do and thats my loss.

Now please never again try to make a point with a half thought out idea that only ends up wasting other peoples time.

The only problem would be that shit is actually physically harmful and bad for you, FFXIV is not since its a game. I'm able to enjoy a game which means I have a feeling of enjoyment while I play it, thats not harmful thats a good thing. You arent able to reproduce that feeling while playing the game, which is a loss unless you want to tell me you dont want to enjoy things. There are several games out there I'm unable to enjoy but alot of people seem to do and thats my loss.

Now please never again try to make a point with a half thought out idea that only ends up wasting other peoples time.

Good for you that you enjoy it but that doesn't mean it's good. When a game's combat is universally accepted as awful then that doesn't mean everyone is going to hate it. You could name the worst game ever produced and people would still play it. The thing here is that FFXIV's combat on a scale is at the bottom compared to any other game's combat not only TERA's.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Lol. It's always fun to use allegories and illustrations to highlight a viewpoint or argument, but they're nothing more than that: ways to illustrate a viewpoint.

That you see FFXIV as shit or likens it to be as a sandwich of shit, doesn't make this the truth, it only clarifies your viewpoint and preference in MMORPG's, and FFXIV clearly isn't to your taste.

That doesn't mean that FFXIV is fully unenjoyable or that all aspects and gameplay features in it are bad: some people clearly can enjoy it and have no problems with a different style and pace of combat.

To use an own example to illustrate the point: there were people that said how AoC was shit just as there are people saying the same about FFXIV. Still I and friends of mine had a blast of a time in AoC right from the start.

Tastes differ, that doesn't make one person's taste or opinion better or worse, it just means that different people have different preferences and requirements to achieve their bit of MMO fun.

Luckily we have a wide range of MMORPG's to pick from, for each taste and person their own favorite MMORPG to play.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Good for you that you enjoy it but that doesn't mean it's good. When a game's combat is universally accepted as awful then that doesn't mean everyone is going to hate it. You could name the worst game ever produced and people would still play it. The thing here is that FFXIV's combat on a scale is at the bottom compared to any other game's combat not only TERA's.

How much that matters when you go from "bad" to "very bad" combat on the scale.

How much that matters when you go from "bad" to "very bad" combat on the scale.

Doesn't really matter, not that big of a difference which I mean I could tolerate with it but I don't see anywhere that FFXIV excels to pick it.

• SnarkRitterSnarkRitter Member Posts: 316

Originally posted by ScribZ

So, if I go and post a vid link to ohhh I dunno...this one for Tera...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQvaGjGQL48&feature=related

Are we still gonna argue about how un-scary the stupid dodo bird is? Really...its a freaking panda with a huge sword. And you dont even want to know how many bunny ears there are on youtube from the Tera archives.

Well....

First the video is more than a year old.

Second,that panda with a huge sword is the PC incase you haven't realized.

Third.It's the starting zone.

The point of this topic is to say Tera is better than FFXIV. Thats all it is. There is no discussion here, its all the OP saying Tera is better and thats it. The rest is just people saying he is right or wrong. If he wanted to discuss it he would have posted a solo character in Tera fighting a trash mob just like the one he used for FFXIV.

When FFXIV brings out the NM (http://www.eorzeapedia.com/2010/11/25/new-retainer-costumes-monsters-and-more/#more-6059) then we can compare vids of elite/NM from Tera with FFXIV, until then this is just a bait thread.

And here's some videos of TERA boss fights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp9sI77tAts(<<<< almost two years old)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWF_xlD5WSI&feature=related(<<<< a year ago)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndrFaFay_d4&feature=related(<<<< same as above)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlEnU9Mqpvg (<<<< at G-STAR 2010)

Funny,a game that still hasn't been even released manage to have what  a game that has already been released still hasn't

As for the combat differences, they are different, thats all anyone can say and not be putting in personal preference. Under level 20 in FFXIV is noob level still, you dont have half the abilities to even count yurself a real combatant yet. So lets not run around trying to claim its the 'baseline' for comparison. Just means the person making the comparison is still a noob in FFXIV and making a level comparison to Tera (is lvl 21 in Tera still noob too? does anyone know? Are you still concidered a starting character at 20 in Tera like you are in FFXIV?)

And TERA at level 20 has far more skills and ability than FF XIV at level 20,does that say anything?

Oh BTW Tera's max level at launch will be 60,so yeah level 21 is still a noob,actually more of a noob than a level 20 in FF XIV .

Doesn't really matter, not that big of a difference which I mean I could tolerate with it but I don't see anywhere that FFXIV excels to pick it.

Yeah, basically.

When was it universally accepted? Even if it was, you're implying that the majority of people are right? Theres soo many instances where that is not true. Also in a world where peoples taste apparently enjoy a watered down simple game like halo, I'm pretty happy not belonging to that crowd.

Also are you comparing the combat to any other type of game or just mmorpgs? Because.. mmorpg wise there are soo many worse games.

Good for you that you dont like it but that doesnt mean its bad.

Originally posted by SnarkRitter

Originally posted by ScribZ

Well....

First the video is more than a year old.

Second,that panda with a huge sword is the PC incase you haven't realized.

Third.It's the starting zone.

And here's some videos of TERA boss fights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp9sI77tAts(<<<< almost two years old)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWF_xlD5WSI&feature=related(<<<< a year ago)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndrFaFay_d4&feature=related(<<<< same as above)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlEnU9Mqpvg (<<<< at G-STAR 2010)

Funny,a game that still hasn't been even released manage to have what  a game that has already been released still hasn't

And TERA at level 20 has far more skills and ability than FF XIV at level 20,does that say anything?

Oh BTW Tera's max level at launch will be 60,so yeah level 21 is still a noob,actually more of a noob than a level 20 in FF XIV .

FFXIV has more classes and abilities in total then tera has, does that say anything?

No, it doesnt say anything about whether the combat is good or not. Also that video has 3 people in it fighting an elite mob. ALSO I read that player is really good and is taking on a mob that most people need a party of 5-6 people to take down. So in the end a video was posted with a slow average player killing a solo mob Versus a group killing a elite mob in tera.

Its nice to see the bias that this thread was started upon continues with every post that is made.

Also so I dont have to reply to any more stupid quotes of this and people saying im biased but towards ffxiv, I already said I want to try tera and hope that its good, that doesnt make me see a need to crap on another game with lies and videos of boring gameplay.

Its not like its impossible for me once the game is out to make a video of me fighting a boring mob really slow and shitty looking and then post it up and go "wtf this game sucks look how slow it is".

Originally posted by Wizardry

TERA combat system is aim-based so it's kind of difficult to hit the boss if he / she is mall,you know?BTW it definitely doesn't look like a fake machine,it looks like a giant tree(or treant) with metal armor on it.

Slower with delay == more tactical or require more thinking.

FF XIV weapon delays is anything but realistic,have you ever tried swinging a sledgehammer?I have, and my neighbors are construction worker and they swing heavy stuffs far faster than in FF XIV.

Here is a link to fasterr combat,as pointed out already,the player does take a moment i think to select his damage choice,otherwise it is much faster combat,if that is what the OP was looking for? LINK

Have you ever seen real fighting ? The video in your link is still much slower than real fighting.

Another link of the same level 21 and solo.Tell me the animations are not MUCH better than that mages pew pew in the TERA video? LINK

I think I should let you should know that the lancer is the class with the worst animations in TERA.

• dlunasdlunas Member UncommonPosts: 206

Originally posted by Crynswind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LUkGdoUU-g

Yes,the mob jumped and avoided an attack.

Why does the map look like an owl in a top hat?

FFXIV has more classes and abilities in total then tera has, does that say anything?

FF XIV only has 7 real classes,TERA has 8. In other MMORPGs they don't make professions into a seperated class,they intergrate professions into your characters.Oh and here's the artical about TERA's professions:

http://www.terafans.com/topic/3576-crafting-crafting-crafting/

It's far from final BTW.

No, it doesnt say anything about whether the combat is good or not. Also that video has 3 people in it fighting an elite mob. ALSO I read that player is really good and is taking on a mob that most people need a party of 5-6 people to take down. So in the end a video was posted with a slow average player killing a solo mob Versus a group killing a elite mob in tera.

Try watch other TERA videos,infact watch Scribz TERA video,it's the starting zone still manage to look far more interesting than FF XIV at level 20.

Its nice to see the bias that this thread was started upon continues with every post that is made.

Right,and FF XIV fanboys have never shown bias?

Also so I dont have to reply to any more stupid quotes of this and people saying im biased but towards ffxiv, I already said I want to try tera and hope that its good, that doesnt make me see a need to crap on another game with lies and videos of boring gameplay.

There're no lies here.And if you don't like seeing other people comparing your "elite and superior game" to other "trashy and inferior" I'd advice you to stay away from the forums and go back to playing your "elite and superior game".

Its not like its impossible for me once the game is out to make a video of me fighting a boring mob really slow and shitty looking and then post it up and go "wtf this game sucks look how slow it is".

Let's face the truth shall we? Even the most intesting FF XIV video posted on youtube is still more boring that the least interesting TERA video.

Hmm, I'd say that the FF XIV haters/critics have in general shown more extreme bias and less tolerance for the opinions of those disagreeing with them than the FFXIV fan(boi)s: most FFXIV fans as seen in their posts here accept that a lot of other MMO gamers dislike the game, they even acknowledge that the game has some major flaws. It's the haters/critics of which a lot in general can't or won't accept that FFXIV can also have good and fun gameplay features, or who have little tolerance for FFXIV players and fans saying FFXIV can be fun or that they have fun in it and that they like certain aspects of it.

There're no lies here.And if you don't like seeing other people comparing your "elite and superior game" to other "trashy and inferior" I'd advice you to stay away from the forums and go back to playing your "elite and superior game".

Heh, I think if people started trash talking and focusing continuously on negative points to say about TERA in the TERA forumsection here - or any other MMO game for that matter - the fans of those games would react exactly the same as FFXIV fans here.

That has nothing to do with 'elite and superior game' but merely people replying upon what they see as an unjustly and onesidedly negative or biased attack on the game they like to play. Nothing more to it than that.

Try comparing MMO games in its forum section with other MMO's and highlight and exaggerate the negative things that can be found and said about that game, and you'll see exactly the same responses.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• RynneRynne Member UncommonPosts: 497

Originally posted by cyphers

Hmm, I'd say that the FF XIV haters/critics have in general shown more extreme bias and less tolerance for the opinions of those disagreeing with them than the FFXIV fan(boi)s: most FFXIV fans as seen in their posts here accept that a lot of other MMO gamers dislike the game, they even acknowledge that the game has some major flaws. It's the haters/critics of which a lot in general can't or won't accept that FFXIV can also have good and fun gameplay features, or who have little tolerance for FFXIV players and fans saying FFXIV can be fun or that they have fun in it and that they like certain aspects of it.

Heh, I think if people started trash talking and focusing continuously on negative points to say about TERA in the TERA forumsection here - or any other MMO game for that matter - the fans of those games would react exactly the same as FFXIV fans here.

That has nothing to do with 'elite and superior game' but merely people replying upon what they see as an unjustly and onesidedly negative or biased attack on the game they like to play. Nothing more to it than that.

Try comparing MMO games in its forum section with other MMO's and highlight and exaggerate the negative things that can be found and said about that game, and you'll see exactly the same responses.

The reason why even the wildest fanboi will admit that the game is not amazing and he just likes certain parts of it, is because it's that bad.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

When TERA comes out, these same people will be crying about how much that game sucks too, it's natural progression. 

The reason why even the wildest fanboi will admit that the game is not amazing and he just likes certain parts of it, is because it's that bad.

I'd say that's your viewpoint, in maybe (another?) attempt to picture FFXIV in as negative a light as possible.

Another more reasonable explanation is that a lot of those gamers could be more honest and fair in their view of the game, seeing the good and bad, while (a considerable part of) the haters/critics only want to focus and indulge in the bad side of FFXIV. I know that I shared a lot of grievances and saw the same flaws others saw in AoC when it first came out, which were many enough that a lot of MMO gamers passionately disliked AoC. That didn't prevent me and others though from having a great time in AoC.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Originally posted by Mannish

Originally posted by Mannish

If you are a Ranger with a Bow and switch to a Rifle how does that change your role? Show me a video of Guild Wars 2 Group Combat where its different from other mmos. I know you can jump and dodge but from what I have seen its Auto Lock where everybody is just a Damage Dealer. 

Actually in GW2 all classes can do all roles needed in the party which is control(instead of tanking),Dpsing(no need to explain),healing(healing is self-suffiicient as there is no dedicated healing class in the game) .

Well that means that there are no roles as I thought. Everybody is just a Damage Dealer and this is supposed to be better than a game where you will have an actual purpose in a group? Thats a step backwards imo and if thats the case Guild Wars 2 will be a game that I will probaly pass on totally.

Who said everybody is just a damage dealer?You'll need somebody to control the mobs and when your team mates are down you'll have to wake them up or resurrect them if they're dead,everything can be done in combat including switching spec(i.e switch roles),your skills also change when you equip different weapon, and a lot more.I suggest you research more about the game before making ignorant statement.

You are the one thats ignorant and now you are mad because I am proving that Tera's system is better. You are still not proving that during group play everybody is not a Damage Dealer. Go look at the videos and its right there. Only an idiot would say that Guild Wars 2 has better combat.  Why shouold I go do any research? When you say Guild Wars 2 has better combat you should be able to way WHY it has better combat. Auto Lock, press skill and watch dice rolls? Show me a video of Group Tactics and prove me wrong. 

You seem to have forgotten all the "Go back 2 WoW" posts?

BTW it's hard for them to not acknowledge the flaws when the developer acknowledge the flaws and apologize.

I can surely say you have looked at the fanboys side through a pair of rose-tinted colour glasses.

Let's admit it shall we?It's hard to not focus continuously on negative point when the game has too many flaws and too few good things to talk about.

I've been watching this forum for a long time,mate. And quite a lot of FF XIV fanboys think this game is the second coming of the Christ and is something for the gosu skilled hyper-intellegent gamers.

There're both hideous exaggerating(from the haters) and understating(from the fanboys) of the flaws,mate.

• TorvacTorvac Member UncommonPosts: 135

when watching the 2 videos i somehow remembered this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw3e64sosEg

This discussion has been closed.