Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KOTOR 1 & 2

Anyone else currently replaying(or for the first time) these games?

Had a bad flare up of my Crohns Disease, and been playing thru these games as something non-stressfull to do. They have sound issues when used with a X-Box 360, but run decent enough to be a reminder of how much fun they were the first time thru.

Kind of wish they had gone the route of KOTOR 3-11. A game along the lines of Mass Effect(up to date GFX), with the KOTOR themed story, and an open world ala Fallout3/Oblivion. Probably would be 2 or 3 discs worth on 360, but that is fine with me.

Since they didnt, playing thru 1 & 2(2 was made by Obsidion) reminds me of why I am so looking forward to TOR.  The SW universe just has a way of pulling ya in...at least for those of us that enjoy the IP.

I really hope this game delivers on the scale that the Original KOTOR did(bazillion game of the year awards).

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

Comments

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Yeah i really enjoyed the KotoR games as well. Hoping we get something similar (which is what they are going for) in ToR. Biggest change will be that you can't pause the game or change the difficulty outside of instances.  However i'm still looking forward to what they are giving us.

I'm currently playing War of Angles because it has an alignment system, other then that it's your typical grind fest.  Probably will be playing that until ToR comes out then i'm immediately jumping to ToR to play that.  Can't wait.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

Basically, everyone I've ever spoken to who's looking forward to SWTOR is anticipating a game that simply combines KOTOR with the MMO format.  Imagine the fun of sharing a KOTOR-like experience with friends, or with friendly strangers.

It's an absolute no-brainer.  BioWare would have to be complete fools to do anything else.

I suspect that anyone who ever expected anything else - e.g. a sandboxy Star Wars game - is going to be very disappointed. 

(*waves hand* "This is not the MMO you are looking for" :) )

• bandontcarebandontcare Member Posts: 72

Originally posted by gurugeorge

Basically, everyone I've ever spoken to who's looking forward to SWTOR is anticipating a game that simply combines KOTOR with the MMO format.  Imagine the fun of sharing a KOTOR-like experience with friends, or with friendly strangers.

It's an absolute no-brainer.  BioWare would have to be complete fools to do anything else.

I suspect that anyone who ever expected anything else - e.g. a sandboxy Star Wars game - is going to be very disappointed. 

I haven't read anything about SWTOR but if this is true, I am definitely gonna play it.

I can't remember how many times I have replayed both KOTOR 1 and 2. Truly amazing games.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Well I believe you are half right. There will be a KOTOR 3,4,5,6........ as the class story arc and world story. But there will be the usuall MMO features as in dungeons, group required play, crafting, PvP (both open and BG), raids and so forth.

But you will be able to play the game as the original KOTOR game (without a pause or save) with 3 friends or solo as a SPG . Only you will be playing in an open game world with many other online players running around in your game.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

Originally posted by artemisentr4

Well I believe you are half right. There will be a KOTOR 3,4,5,6........ as the class story arc and world story. But there will be the usuall MMO features as in dungeons, group required play, crafting, PvP (both open and BG), raids and so forth.

Yeah I think so, that's what I mean by "combined with MMO", I've read about them having some seasoned MMO folks on the team, so I think that they will have standard MMO stuff on top of the (soloable or shareable) KOTOR-like experience. 

Whether the MMO side is as good as other AAA MMOs, maybe not quite (although the latest crafting info looks like it might be quite innovative!), but the combination should be enough (hopefully!) to keep everyone (except those who really wanted pre-NGE SWG revived) more or less happy :)

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Tbh, I've played them so many times that I kind of know all of it by heart.

I might pick both up again before launch but I'm busy doing different things right now and Kotor 2 is a bitch to run on newer systems...

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Steam tells me I have over 50 hours logged in KOTOR1.

About the same amount on KOTOR2 i think.. so... yeah.. >_>

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• ZERMINUSZERMINUS Member Posts: 241

I agree with you. I think SWG vets will be very disappointed. But I also think both MMO and KOTOR fans will also be horribly surprised too simply because 'cominging KOTOR with MMO format' sounds great on paper but, in practice, poses incredible difficulties. These are two very different formats and just jamming them together may be about as successful as trying to get a pig to mate with a sheep. It may be a great success - but the odds are against it.

(*waves gun* "Get out of here, kid! She's gonna blow!" :))

• ZERMINUSZERMINUS Member Posts: 241

Originally posted by domecrusher

Originally posted by ZERMINUS

I agree with you. I think SWG vets will be very disappointed. But I also think both MMO and KOTOR fans will also be horribly surprised too simply because 'cominging KOTOR with MMO format' sounds great on paper but, in practice, poses incredible difficulties. These are two very different formats and just jamming them together may be about as successful as trying to get a pig to mate with a sheep. It may be a great success - but the odds are against it.

Always with these snide posts, huh? SWG was garbage and I'm a vet. SWG vets for the most part are dissapointed with everything because they are socially retarded neckbeard basement dwellers who, in effect, had their second life stripped from them. You however are in dire need of some dick. If I'm in the UK I'll call you up and hopefully change your outlook on life because you're just way too depressing and suck all the energy out of the room. So continue on with your troll posts and hopefully you slip and fall on a dick somewhere cause you really really need it.

If this is representative of the SWTOR community, the game is in deep trouble.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

I dont' agree with the way he went about it and was way too harsh but there is one thing. You do tend to take the very negative side and try and find everything bad about the game in any way possible. I haven't seen you say anything good about the game so far.  Which is okay but if you continue to do that people will mark you as a hater of the game.

Just saying is all.  Also he isn't representive of the community as i'm sure you have seen. You get some rather crude people from time to time in any community, can't really be helped.

But you also gotta look at what you've previously done towards the game that might have brought that reaction.

As for the game itself as i'd rather leave that part alone and get back to the topic.

It's not really smashing two pieces together, rather taking what KoToR was and expanding it into an MMO format.  which i think (at least from what i've seen) can be done and done well.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

There are millions of players who played KOTOR and looking forward to SWTOR.

Out of those (purely by stats) you are bound to have a few 'not so smart'/undesirable people.

Meh, all popular games have those (just by stats alone) and they don't represent the majority anyway.

I just hope we get more KOTOR1 than KOTOR2 though, as in an actual finished game. >_>

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• Cromagnum119Cromagnum119 Member UncommonPosts: 16

Originally posted by Moaky07

Anyone else currently replaying(or for the first time) these games?

Had a bad flare up of my Crohns Disease, and been playing thru these games as something non-stressfull to do. They have sound issues when used with a X-Box 360, but run decent enough to be a reminder of how much fun they were the first time thru.

Kind of wish they had gone the route of KOTOR 3-11. A game along the lines of Mass Effect(up to date GFX), with the KOTOR themed story, and an open world ala Fallout3/Oblivion. Probably would be 2 or 3 discs worth on 360, but that is fine with me.

Since they didnt, playing thru 1 & 2(2 was made by Obsidion) reminds me of why I am so looking forward to TOR.  The SW universe just has a way of pulling ya in...at least for those of us that enjoy the IP.

I really hope this game delivers on the scale that the Original KOTOR did(bazillion game of the year awards).

I agree with you the original KOTOR games were amazing. I hope that they are just as good if not better. If they are WOW will fall.

In My World It's Kill Or Be Killed

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

Originally posted by Cromagnum119

I agree with you the original KOTOR games were amazing. I hope that they are just as good if not better. If they are WOW will fall.

Let's focus on what the game is, not what you hope it might be. The idea of a 'WoW killer" or that WoW will fall due to another game is a myth that has reached stupid preportions. When do people start catching a clue that just isn't going to happen? Hopefully TOR will be great on it's own, it doesn't need to put a 'WoW killer' notch on it's belt to be successful.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by ZERMINUS

Then again it may indeed tickle our fancy, while those folks clamoring for the PRECioUs are left still kicking their feet, and whining on message boards. Ya know...like what you have done for over 100 posts now.

I will continue to put my faith in BW, especially when it comes to the opinion of someone that does nothing around MMORPG.com except trolling this forum.

I dont understand how you havent been perma-banned yet Zerm. You add nothing of value to the discussion around these parts, and only seek to stir up chit with your posting. We get it....you dont like this game. Move on already.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.