Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

''Interview on Energy and Skills Pt. 1''

XpertiseXpertise Member Posts: 120

http://www.killtenrats.com/2010/11/29/gw2-interview-on-energy-and-skills-pt-1/

Good read... It seems that ''support'' class's role will be CC and interrupts...

Comments

• Elox1Elox1 Member Posts: 211

Thanks for the link, very interesting read.  I like how they used the word interrupts as a role that support players would take.  Let's me believe the Mesmer  is going to be back.

Also I like the idea of defensive skills using more energy than offensive skills.  That way if someone wants to tank they either need to be very efficient or swap roles with another player to balance it out.  

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

great interview! cant wait for part 2

this i like:
    They assured me that jumping, which requires no energy, gives no tactical advantage, but if they saw something negative come in to play with say bunny hoppers, they are ready to clamp down on it

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by Xpertise

http://www.killtenrats.com/2010/11/29/gw2-interview-on-energy-and-skills-pt-1/

Good read... It seems that ''support'' class's role will be CC and interrupts...

support classes  will be able to do CC and interupts but its not like thats all they are (im nit picking at word choice here).

I for one like the way the energy system has been redesigned.  kinda cuts out the horrible stall teams that makes everyones life no fun at all.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Great info. Real new stuff too.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Thanks for the link, I hadn't read that one yet image

Some interesting quotes:

"the energy bar loves offensive skills and hates defensive skills. If a player is playing offensively, the energy bar is very easy to manage.

Very easy encounters will barely touch the energy bar, whereas difficult encounters requiring many defensive maneuvers and skills will put a significant dent in the energy bar."

"Peters and Cartwright then took a small tangent to discuss that although there is no more monk healbot, the support role still exists. Players dedicated to support increase every other player’s duration of active play by running around and rezzing people or focusing on creature control and interrupts rather than damage."

"This lead to the topic of dungeons because it was a smaller event where I thought resource management could be a huge factor... The repeatable mode in the dungeons requires significantly more coordination. The coordination is an organic, fluid change in roles. If the warrior in the group that’s been trying to draw agro from all the creatures needs some energy, the elementalist might change roles so that the warrior can take a small breather."

I like the sound of that.

I stil think they should have gone with another thing than energy potions to camouflage the mechanism of energy boost  - maybe a crystal or totem devoted to one of the deities that can be charged up to 50 uses or such - but I guess it's just a minor thing, and people will get used to it pretty fast.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by cyphers
    Thanks for the link, I hadn't read that one yet

Some interesting quotes:
    "the energy bar loves offensive skills and hates defensive skills. If a player is playing offensively, the energy bar is very easy to manage.
    Very easy encounters will barely touch the energy bar, whereas difficult encounters requiring many defensive maneuvers and skills will put a significant dent in the energy bar."

"Peters and Cartwright then took a small tangent to discuss that although there is no more monk healbot, the support role still exists. Players dedicated to support increase every other player’s duration of active play by running around and rezzing people or focusing on creature control and interrupts rather than damage."

"This lead to the topic of dungeons because it was a smaller event where I thought resource management could be a huge factor... The repeatable mode in the dungeons requires significantly more coordination. The coordination is an organic, fluid change in roles. If the warrior in the group that’s been trying to draw agro from all the creatures needs some energy, the elementalist might change roles so that the warrior can take a small breather."

I like the sound of that.
    I stil think they should have gone with another thing than energy potions to camouflage the mechanism of energy boost  - maybe a crystal or totem devoted to one of the deities that can be charged up to 50 uses or such - but I guess it's just a minor thing, and people will get used to it pretty fast.

Another reason (and probably the best reason) they went with potions is because it will be one of the gold sinks in game.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

It's great to finally have some solid info on the energy potions, because all I've had so far were the in-game vids to go by and they didn't reveal much on the mechanic (except the stuff I could observe). I'm all for the use of energy potions, because it'll add a whole new dynamic to the already dynamic combat. Like having split second choices where: you can decide to avoid the hit (dodge rolling) for a small energy consumption, but be forced out of combat; or to take the hit, in order to remain in combat but later having to use more energy for a self-heal.

Would be interesting to see how this effects dungeons (especially explore mode), once the game releases.

Now I wonder what part 2 of that Interview will entail (>_<)?

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

Originally posted by Master10K

and its up now !

http://www.killtenrats.com/2010/11/30/gw2-interview-on-energy-and-skills-pt-2/#more-7578

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by jondifool

and its up now !

http://www.killtenrats.com/2010/11/30/gw2-interview-on-energy-and-skills-pt-2/#more-7578

Thanks for the heads up and I must say that was a fairly enligthening part 2, as it delved deeper into 3 types of skills used in GW2 (weapon, utility and elite skills). Two major paragraphs I wanna highlight are:

• Cartwright continued that there was one other part that people don’t really see yet in the system. Traits interact with skills in a really heavy way. He then gave the example of two identically skilled sword warriors. One warrior can take a trait that makes every sword attack cause the bleeding condition, and the other warrior takes a trait that causes Savage Leap to recharge twice as fast. The first warrior becomes a super pressure character, and the second warrior becomes a highly mobile melee attacker jumping around the map. So even though the warriors still have identical skills, traits can allow them to play in a completely different way. Even after traits, there are still items, Cartwright added, so the amount of builds a skilled player can create skyrockets well beyond the baseline. Peters and Kerstein echoed that the build making ability in Guild Wars 2 can be daunting to someone really delving into the systems.

Just recently people on these forums were bitching about the restrictions the forced weapon skills have on your first half of the skill bar. Well ANet have reitterated that it's not about the number of skills you can use but the number of useful builds you can create, with the help of traits.

• I asked my last question about the amount of skills they were shooting for per profession upon initial Guild Wars 2 release. Peters said that there will be about 200 utility skills altogether. Every profession will have about 20 utility skills in addition to the racial ones. There are 4-5 heals and 4-8 elites per profession. This is on top of all the weapon skills, and the skills that change upon use like the necromancer’s minion skills. They are ultimately still playing around with how many skills will be launched with the game, but they assured me it will be plenty.

Even with that said, there will still be a large number of skills at our disposal and that pleases me greatly. ^_^

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by jondifool

and its up now !

Thanks for the heads up and I must say that was a fairly enligthening part 2, as it delved deeper into 3 types of skills used in GW2 (weapon, utility and elite skills). Two major paragraphs I wanna highlight are:

• Cartwright continued that there was one other part that people don’t really see yet in the system. Traits interact with skills in a really heavy way. He then gave the example of two identically skilled sword warriors. One warrior can take a trait that makes every sword attack cause the bleeding condition, and the other warrior takes a trait that causes Savage Leap to recharge twice as fast. The first warrior becomes a super pressure character, and the second warrior becomes a highly mobile melee attacker jumping around the map. So even though the warriors still have identical skills, traits can allow them to play in a completely different way. Even after traits, there are still items, Cartwright added, so the amount of builds a skilled player can create skyrockets well beyond the baseline. Peters and Kerstein echoed that the build making ability in Guild Wars 2 can be daunting to someone really delving into the systems.

Just recently people on these forums were bitching about the restrictions the forced weapon skills have on your first half of the skill bar. Well ANet have reitterated that it's not about the number of skills you can use but the number of useful builds you can create, with the help of traits.

• I asked my last question about the amount of skills they were shooting for per profession upon initial Guild Wars 2 release. Peters said that there will be about 200 utility skills altogether. Every profession will have about 20 utility skills in addition to the racial ones. There are 4-5 heals and 4-8 elites per profession. This is on top of all the weapon skills, and the skills that change upon use like the necromancer’s minion skills. They are ultimately still playing around with how many skills will be launched with the game, but they assured me it will be plenty.

Even with that said, there will still be a large number of skills at our disposal and that pleases me greatly. ^_^

Yea, in addition to weapon skills, attributes, traits and items every character has the following choices:

Utility = 20 (profession) + 8 (race)

Healing = 4-5 (profession) + ? (race)

Elite = 4-8 (profession) + ? (race)

• Elox1Elox1 Member Posts: 211

Originally posted by Diovidius

Yea, in addition to weapon skills, attributes, traits and items every character has the following choices:

Utility = 20 (profession) + 8 (race)

Healing = 4-5 (profession) + ? (race)

Elite = 4-8 (profession) + ? (race)

EDIT: It will be interesting to see how many racial skills we can expect.  In any event if your entire playstyle can actually change by using 1 trait over another then I'm excited to see what kind of variety there are in builds available.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Good read! Many thanks for that.image

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky