Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just quit wow and have no idea

2»

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I would say the best option is to take a couple months break from MMO's altogether cos most people in your situation end up game hopping. If your fed up with WOW, which encompasses most of what MMOs are about these days, you will be fed up with all of them.

Have a break and keep your eye on Rift and Guild Wars 2. If you MUST play an MMO the first I recommend you try is Aion, purely because it is very similar to WOW in 'some' ways and IMO much better (I prefer the design style). LOTRO is ruined now its ftp, just isn't the same IMO.

For a BIG change, more action, Champions Online is worth a look. You might only play it for about a month but many really enjoy that first month. A boxed version is dirt cheap now.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

How the heck are people recommending Rift when the game isn't even out yet? On top of that, unless you're an alpha tester, how can you honestly recommend a game you haven't even played yet???

• theartisttheartist Member Posts: 553

Originally posted by JohnnyMotrin

How the heck are people recommending Rift when the game isn't even out yet? On top of that, unless you're an alpha tester, how can you honestly recommend a game you haven't even played yet???

There's like 12 threads on this subject alone.

But it's cool to look forward to something new.

• TekniqueTeknique Member UncommonPosts: 26

Originally posted by aovannor

I would say the best option is to take a couple months break from MMO's altogether cos most people in your situation end up game hopping. If your fed up with WOW, which encompasses most of what MMOs are about these days, you will be fed up with all of them.

Have a break and keep your eye on Rift and Guild Wars 2. If you MUST play an MMO the first I recommend you try is Aion, purely because it is very similar to WOW in 'some' ways and IMO much better (I prefer the design style). LOTRO is ruined now its ftp, just isn't the same IMO.

For a BIG change, more action, Champions Online is worth a look. You might only play it for about a month but many really enjoy that first month. A boxed version is dirt cheap now.

Yea I really enjoyed Aion, the pvp was great imo but the amount of time you have to invest in leveling is terrible and only for those that have a lot of free time unless you plan on playing long term and aren't worried about hitting the level cap right away. I thought the pve was terrible in that game though, it just seemed so bland compared to wow's mechanics where you have to do so many different things based on the encounters, I haven't tried the new patch though which was supposedly making some huge changes.

Originally posted by theartist

Originally posted by JohnnyMotrin
    There's like 12 threads on this subject alone.
    But it's cool to look forward to something new.

I'm just excited about Rift as the next guy but the last time I saw hype like this was for WAR and we all know how that turned out.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Originally posted by Teknique

Yea I really enjoyed Aion, the pvp was great imo but the amount of time you have to invest in leveling is terrible and only for those that have a lot of free time unless you plan on playing long term and aren't worried about hitting the level cap right away. I thought the pve was terrible in that game though, it just seemed so bland compared to wow's mechanics where you have to do so many different things based on the encounters, I haven't tried the new patch though which was supposedly making some huge changes.

I didn't even try Aion before v 2, but I can safely say I havn't experienced any of the issues everyone complained about before it.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The closest experience I've had to WoW was probably EQ

• mesmerisemesmerise Member UncommonPosts: 200

Originally posted by theartist

Originally posted by Paradoxy

EQ2, GW and DDO, LOTR will all suit your style of gameplay.

Para beat me to it.

These won't set you back any cash right away; and they're each A+ pve games. Guild Wars the only one with decent pvp.

image And perhaps Aion, based on what other people are saying. It would help if we knew more about what you did in WoW though!

• MobfigureMobfigure Member Posts: 44

Allods is the only "WoW" clone I can think of as far as graphics and UI go. Though if you asked me what game you should try out.. I'd say Vindictus all the way.

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

Originally posted by dorianyates

Game like wow there are hundreads   but they all suck

If you want a wow like game you will have to wait for 2011

Just play a non wow like game and you will be fine for a couple of months, Perpetuum, EVE, Darkfall, Fallen Earth to an extend...

Too many wow/eq clones out there. Why would you want a game like wow anyways? Don't have a lot of time? Want to make sure that it is easy? You complain about player freedom so why not try a sandbox game?

If you get tired of running from quest giver to quest giver to unlock the next instance or auto-attack (hit ALT and repeat the same button sequence on the next mob) while watching numbers float above the fight . ... try Darkfall!!

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Originally posted by boodas

I'm looking for a new game similar to wow for me and 3 others that quit. Since the patches Blizzard controls most aspects of the game including your talent tree, right down to your pets doing the same damage. Players make very few choices now. So we are looking for a game that is not so controlled. They even took the portals out of Dal. and Shat. to forces players back to the old world.

Well being biased i of course always reccomend everyone to have at least tried FXI for 6 months,to really get a grasp as to what a great MMORPG can be,however..........First of all EQ2 is the obvious,but outside the box there is of course no other than Runes of MAgic.ROM i played for 6 months,i is actually one of the few games aside from VG that had a TON of potential,but money greedy devs/publishers ruined the whole game completely.

ROM does have soe mcool ideas for adorning gear,and has the the very hard Raid content as well.My reccomendation is to NOT use add ons,these are a lame way to get the game to play itself for you,the challenge is to have to manually select your skills for your self.

The flaw with Rom???why it is not a better game??? multi class system is great,but the ydid it very half ass,FFXI still owns that .The ITEM MALL...HUGE flaw,it is so over done it is pathetic,these guys are just greedy,also terrible customer support,might as well say it does not exist.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• boodasboodas Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by Loke666

I've been  a hardcore wow player over 5 years now myself and I have to say there really is no game that can compare gameplay wise. I have taken breaks and tried many other games to the same point I was addicted in wow and never got the satisfaction like I did with wow. This "control" you speak of is a good thing, the changes they are making are for the upcoming xpac meaning everything is scaled for level 85 now instead of 80. I really don't see why you dislike the game now it is better than ever, the only gripe I had was the way they restricted your skill choices by giving more skills the same gcd and cd, you can no longer spam devestate and heroic strike together which as a warrior was important for me, but as with everything in time comes change so you either get use to it or move on. I tried LotrO and it is entertaining but no where near as satisfying as wow is. Also, pet's are NOT doing the same damage they had a huge increase in damage, hell when my hunter is BM his kill command bites crit for 10-15k in ICC. We players still make PLENTY of choices, they removed the portals so that people would stop abusing dal/shatt so badly just for transportation. It will actually lower the lag you find in those places because there won't be as many people going there for ports, it may be annoying but it was a good idea.

That is your opinion but there are a lot of people who thinks Wow is totally destroyed now as well. Make a vote thread when Wow were as best, there will be many vanilla people here as well as the ones that agrees with you.

Same thing with gameplay wise, I don't see what is so special with it myself, it is ok but not different from games like EQ2.

Everyone have different ideas how a game should be and if OP doesn't like Wow anymore that doesn't mean anything is wrong with him, or you for that matter. Wow have changed a lot and you just can't expect everyone to like that.

Wow is still the largest P2P MMO in the west with still over 8 times the players of anything else. But that doesn't mean people wont get tired of it, many have played it for 6 years and that is forever with a computer game.

Still, Wow do have one great advantage to most other games: Superior programming. It is probably the main reason Wow is still in the top, companies like SOE, Turbine and NC soft can't compete there, not even close. Only Guildwars beats Wow there and it is a CORPG.

I wasn't implying anything was wrong with him but merely giving my viewpoint on the game. I personally believe that people saying the game has been "destroyed" just don't do too well at the game and get frusterated. You see all of these people claiming how easy wow is yet even at the end of LK the majority of players haven't downed all 25 man hard modes or even reached 2200 arena rating for you pvp junkies. Currently as things stand though I can see how the changes made would cause a lot of people to quit because there is a lot different now and it takes some getting use to.

Actually I did very well at the game -my account has over 300k in gold in it-my main is geared from ICC, my other 5  80s were geared nicely till cat. comes out.  I have played it for 5 years only to watch it go down more and more, at this point the only thing Blizzard is worried about is keeping new players as this is their pot of money. I did alot of farming also, but its kinda hard to farm with all the hackers in the game, and when reported them Blizzard does nothing. Since King Lich came out their are several gliches that have been reported but never fixed, but yet a new expasion is coming out. Take all the glitches used in the BGs-you can't even do a BG and enjoy it anymore. Or how about a BG with 2 hordes and 7 alliance . No I don't think I do well in that situation caused by Blizzard.

Look at the talents trees now, what choices on them do you really have? Removing the portals was not a good thing. Oh excuse me it was for the ones buying the expansion, and the mages ,but what about those who don't.  Why didn't Blizzard take portals from mages if they didn't want Dal. and Shat. abuised? Theres just to much to even list.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

It sounds like the OP is just looking for the MMO version of the "revenge f**k" to get back at his significant MMO by playing around with another.

But, whatever the reason, glad to help :)

As others have states, it's really a question of what it was that you liked most about WoW.

If you most liked the 2-Faction PvP, then AION is the game for you.

If you most liked the solo questing and large world, then LoTRO is the game for you.

If you most liked endgame grouping and raid progression, then EQ2 is the game for you. 

If you'd like to try something that familiar, yet a bit different or if you've always wanted to try a game with amazing graphics, thenAoC may be a good choice.

All 4 of those games - AION, LOTRO, EQ2 and AoC are in many ways similar to WoW.   AoC  has the best graphics, AION has the most similar PvP setup, LoTRO has a large world and lots of great soloing, EQ2 probably has the closest in terms of endgame raiding and groups.  

I guess I should tell you the downsides of the games also:

AION - has terrible grindy PvE and a totally retarted world and story.

LoTRO - has poor pvp and only 1 large raid (though a bunch of smaller ones).

AoC - the combat system just isn't for everyone.  also, it's a half PvP game, so if you don't PvP, you miss out on a lot of it.

EQ2 - the game is empty-ish from 1-89, with most meaningful and challenging content happening at 90.  If you enjoy soloing, then you'll love it as 1-90 can be soloed and it has by far the most content of any game on the market.  However, you don't get to experience "the real game" until you hit 90, which takes a 2-6 weeks depending on how fast you go.  With 4 of you, you'd have a great time in doing all the dungeons :)

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO