Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Physical presence

eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I had always appreciated the fact that in GW, the tanks could actually block the path of a mob. I enjoyed the tactics and gameplay that it creates.

Do GW2 toons have the same sort of attributes, or will mobs walk right through a toon like other mmo's?

Just for the fun of it I thought I'd add a poll

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Comments

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Yeah. Body blocking was a major anti-warrior tactic in PvP.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• evilandrexevilandrex Member UncommonPosts: 21

I think there should be skills that allow one to bodyblock. I think this will help crowded places to make sure no one is blocking each other off but still have that support from the tanks stopping people.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i would vote yes, but the only reason i voted no is because, if there is mob blocking then it will most likely be player bloking too, and its annoying when trying to escape from dying and actually die coz someone got on ur way (ex: in the middle of a war which is packed with players).  Other than that, is a good idea the mob blocking thingy

• SweetZoidSweetZoid Member Posts: 437

Warrior do not need body blocking. They can charge and stun now and they have slowing effects like before. Greatsword warriors also has movement speed skills.

• senti02senti02 Member UncommonPosts: 96

Yes to me..helps when your a tank,and more realistic? no?

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Sorry, no body blocking, its been confirmed for a long time... i enjoy body blocking too, but they aren't going to go back on there decision to remove it because people like it.

I didn't vote because I don't think that the backwards logic of applying the flaws of other MMO's AI target selection to a game that doesn't use threat (or trinity based combat for that matter) and aims to have more active ways to control aggro deserves my vote.

that said, based on my experience with the demo, enemies aren't going to go and change their targets randomly, and certainly not because you just caused too much threat.  I hate bad aggro control systems like treat (yes I think its bad...)

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• JiroiJiroi Member Posts: 25

so other classes confirmed

monk?

was the monk in GW viable or a heavy dps'er

drum roll

waiting for the flamers or haterz

*shake em off*

Deh plane boss deh plane

• AblestronAblestron Member Posts: 333

nope, no monks. Guild Wars 2 wants to  get away from cookie cutter like professions such as the monk as it restricts play style and causes an awfull lot of waiting around if the supply of monks is bad. I remember how bad it got, in many cases monks where payed to join groups because of the demand.

I agree with grimm6th, also it should be noted that there arent really any tanks in guild wars 2. Warriors are no longer tanks, in the sense that they take all the enemy's attention and soak up damage. Like all the other professions they will be capable of damage, support and control. Emphasis on control as its probably the closest to tanking we will have, as it effectively knocks down, stuns, cripples, or slows an enemy insuring that the more squishy of your team will be able to retain a safe distance. 

Other professions will be capable of control to, although not in the same way as a warrior does control. Each profession has its own way of going about damage, support and control. Such as a ranger can use his pet to cripple enemys as apposed to a warrior running up and stabbing them in the leg. Or how a warrior can place an elite skill banner that heals everyone in the area as apposed to an elementalist casting healing rain.  

• mesmerisemesmerise Member UncommonPosts: 200

I like in general the idea of body blocking in combat but in cities or outposts that are overcrowded it can become quite a hassle. I agree that it is more realistic but I am not sure if it always practical.

• coffeyhousecoffeyhouse Member Posts: 78

I voted yes. I like the idea of tanks bodyblocking. In areas like The Deep in GW, bodyblocking was very crucial to the survival of the group.

It makes the game feel more realistic when players can't run through other players as well. I find it funny in games like Aion that u can run through another player but u get stuck on a little rock on the ground?!  In towns & outposts that are overcrowded it could be a little annoying but they did it in AoC.

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Bring on the collision detection!!!

I think it could make raiding more challenging and fun... pvp... everything.

• RoybeRoybe Member UncommonPosts: 420

Yes on body blocking, but not for the use of tanks!  Just to cause a charging enemy to have to sidestep/change direction to allow for a tactical setup to occur, reset, etc. If enemies can run through you, then the demands on either DPS or snareing goes up to levels that could get frustrating.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Imo it's much more important to include body blocking in PvP.. Mobs are ai, they can be programmed to compensate for the lack of bb but PvP imo will suffer for the lack of it.

Body blocking can be done well with minimum potential for abuse. Only in PvP and between opposing sides. That's the way they did it in WAR (after quite a lot of tweaking and, I suspect, some really bad programming) but now it works quite well and I never heard of any abuse of the system. IMO Anet should look again into the whole body-block question.

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Of course there should be body blocking if the engine can support it. We cannot walk through one another in the real world, why can I do it in a game?

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• El_LionEl_Lion Member UncommonPosts: 154

I made a poll about collision detection (body block as some call it)

You can find it ... euh let me search :p

EDIT: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/279676/page/1

Eaglix

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

Of course there should be body blocking if the engine can support it. We cannot walk through one another in the real world, why can I do it in a game?

A fair point. The engine already supports it so why not use it?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Tanks? What tanks? There are no tanking and no dedicated healers in GW2.

I still prefer body blocking, particularly in PvP even if it is not the first thing on my wish list.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

I am traumatized with the ex-body blocking of WAR, so I voted NO xD

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

To be fair is it a downside too. Anyone remember when AoC allowed siege pets in towns and some guys blocked places with their war mammoths.

Lineage solved this by having PvP in areas that could be blocked even of PvE servers, you can also have large doors that a whole bunch of people have to stand just right to block.

I am still for BB but I do feel the need to point out the other side of it too. Some games don't add it because of these reasons.

• mesmerisemesmerise Member UncommonPosts: 200

Originally posted by Loke666

Tanks? What tanks? There are no tanking and no dedicated healers in GW2.

I still prefer body blocking, particularly in PvP even if it is not the first thing on my wish list.

I think that a tank may be a more accurate term for the warrior class in GW2. Tanks are armored artillery that are capable of razing buildings, cratering the earth, etc.  If warriors are still going to be heavily armored masses of damage (or support depending on build) then I think that a 'tank' is a more accurate description than the meat-shields in other MMOs. 

I know that you are just talking about the tank as described in standard MMO jargon but I think that the word tank may be more representative of the warrior and possibly the TBA other soldier class.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

Originally posted by rojo6934

i would vote yes, but the only reason i voted no is because, if there is mob blocking then it will most likely be player bloking too, and its annoying when trying to escape from dying and actually die coz someone got on ur way (ex: in the middle of a war which is packed with players).  Other than that, is a good idea the mob blocking thingy

Annoying yeah but I actually like the idea of the extra realism in games.....not that realism is always a good thing of course.

One of my housemates is playing the new COD game downstairs. I heard him shout angrily at the tv a while ago. Apparently he was running along a ridge with another player running in front of him. Suddenly the player in front stopped abruptly. He bumped into him and the impact knocked him off the ledge to his demise.

He got the rage.

I chuckled. 

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

There will be NO body blocking, this was actually specifically mentioned and stated when the question came up in terms of PVP. Though I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean it won't be available for PvE....hrm...

Still, the videos did show the warriors using their Shield very liberally to protect from fire, arrows, etc., saving themselves and the people behind them. With the environmental/combined effects of various skills (static field from elementalist + arrows from a ranger = arrows that are electrically inclined, and so on) I'd be willing to bet that shield-users will play a very vital role in protecting people. I'd just also bet than enemies will be made with that in mind, and will still have a way to target the person you're standing in front of, if they don't manage their aggro well.

Here's a copy paste of the interview where it was brought up:

"Q: Is it still possible to body-block? In combat, will body direction be important; e.g., players being more vulnerable on the sides and the back?

Eric: Because of many issues with collision in a persistent world, players will not be able to collide with one another in Guild Wars 2. That being said, many skills affect the movement of a target (knockbacks, knockdowns, etc…), which allows players to replicate some of the same body blocking tactics that they used in Guild Wars. Body direction is very important indeed, as there are skills that have a greater effect (more damage, stunning, etc…) when used from the side or behind an enemy."

Full Article:

http://www.arena.net/blog/eric-and-ben-answer-your-questions-about-warrior-and-traits

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• imlazyxdimlazyxd Member UncommonPosts: 81

Please... Just please... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-rl3RPC_Mw

None of this...

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by imlazyxd

Please... Just please... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-rl3RPC_Mw

None of this...

This example has nothing to do with colision detection lol. It's completely irellevant. One - the primary issue is with kicking. Two - the CD does not have to be 100% all the time lol. Succesful implementations of CD in MMOS so far are all contextual - like "PVP only" or "between foes only" or  "in combat" etc.. Its AoC designers fault they didn't think the CD mechanics through (as they didn't really care about most of their game's mechanics, choosing to concentrate on realistic boob and gore physics first)

And I would really like to have "many issues" specified. WAR has CD in persistent open world and I don't see any issues there at all. (And before anyone starts yelling, I'm talking about WAR NOW and not at release.. you know the game's been out for over 2 years so get up to date please)

Frankly I find it completely ludicrous, immersion-breaking and imbalancing that a guy with a shield can protect against arrows, dragon's breath and whatnots but on the other hand you can just run through him like he's a ghost or a hologram and stab the squishie behind in the throat. If that's not weird then I don't know what is.

On one hand you have "positioning is supremely important" and then in the same breath he says that they won't have a feature that makes positioning really impacting at a visceral, intuitive and most game-influencing level. It simply does not add up.

p.s. I'm a self-professed GW2 fanboi and I'm really impressed by what ANet is doing but lack of CD and duelling are the two things that I percieve as flaws marring an almost perfect picture they're painting.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Here's a copy paste of the interview where it was brought up:

"Q: Is it still possible to body-block? In combat, will body direction be important; e.g., players being more vulnerable on the sides and the back?

Eric: Because of many issues with collision in a persistent world, players will not be able to collide with one another in Guild Wars 2. That being said, many skills affect the movement of a target (knockbacks, knockdowns, etc…), which allows players to replicate some of the same body blocking tactics that they used in Guild Wars. Body direction is very important indeed, as there are skills that have a greater effect (more damage, stunning, etc…) when used from the side or behind an enemy."

Full Article:

http://www.arena.net/blog/eric-and-ben-answer-your-questions-about-warrior-and-traits

So in other words, is he saying the Havoc engine does not support CD?  A lot of games that do not have CD have skills that do the same thing he is stating.

Well the thing is CD can be turned off in cities and towns and then turned on outside of towns.  I think CD is a must for small scale pvp but for large scale pvp it's a pain in the ass.  It seems to me that GW2 is focusing on large scale pvp, so the decision to not have CD is probably for the best.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...