Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interested in this..

13»

Comments

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Paradoxy

Originally posted by WSIMike

Of course there's repetitive content in XI. Welcome to MMOs. It's like arguing that the ocean has water. Anyone who's been to - or even seen the ocean - knows that. Not exactly a revelation.

That said, there's certainly less of it in XI than there is in EQ2, by simple virtue of the fact that XI has so many more types of content that are completely different from each other. Also by virtue of the fact that FFXI's questlines are fully realized quests, with fully fleshed out storylines... relatively few of them have the primary goal as "go kill x of y". Ironically, it's only years into  the game's life that SE added Fields of Valor, and XI got its first true dose of that kind of content. Also coincidentally, Fields of Valor tasks are set up exactly like your run-of-the-mill "quest" from other MMOs. "Kill x of y". The difference is, they're devised as short-term activities for players to engage in if they don't have a lot of time to play, are waiting for a group, or just feel like doing something on a smaller scale. They're not the main form of content in the game.

There is no strawman here. the REPETITION argument wasn't started by me it was by Hyanmen. i know that repetition in MMO is bound to happen and this is something you should tell him not me. His whole argument is about how EQ2 content is repetitive in nature and lacks quality. 

Oh, I see... So, you're claiming the quote below isn't directly from your previous response to me?

"FFXI has plenty of repetition too but i can understand how even you would fail to mention it."

You're claiming you didn't type that? Does someone else ninja your posts when you're not looking?

Yes, sir.. That is your statement. Whoever "started the repetition argument" is irrelevant to the fact that you threw that strawman out at me. Don't blame Hyanmen for that. He didn't type it.

And as far as your assestment of FFXI and variety in its content i never disagreed with that. But if you are trying to tell me its better then EQ2 i disagree. Also, i don't know why you keep focusing only on kill 'x' and 'y' type of quests because there is plenty of other type of storylines in EQ2. There is kill 'x' and 'y' in FFXI too but i am not focusing on that. I find it really amusing that for someone who claims to have played EQ2 EXTENSIVELY for years couldn't see the variety offered in EQ2 quests and storylines. One of the best thing about EQ2 is its lore and fully realized and elaborate quests which goes all the way till the end of your gameplay.

Sure, there's plenty of different settings and circumstances behind the quests in EQ2.

In execution, though, most of them boil down to "kill x of y" or "collect x of y". That's what ultimately burned me out on the game... the repetition of the quests. I would have by far preferred to have fewer but much more interesting quests than what I experienced while playing that game.

I bring up the "x of y" factor in light of the whole "how many quests there are" debate. I brought it up to illustrate that when you have 6000 quests whose "stories" and tasks could be thought up in a few minutes... it's not terribly impressive.

I pointed out that most of the quest content in XI cannot have the same said of it. The stories *and* the tasks are varying. Many times you're not sent to kill, nor collect anything at all. It's best in some cases to avoid aggro as much as possible.

Anyway... we agree to disagree I suppose.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

Of course there's repetitive content in XI. Welcome to MMOs. It's like arguing that the ocean has water. Anyone who's been to - or even seen the ocean - knows that. Not exactly a revelation.

That said, there's certainly less of it in XI than there is in EQ2, by simple virtue of the fact that XI has so many more types of content that are completely different from each other. Also by virtue of the fact that FFXI's questlines are fully realized quests, with fully fleshed out storylines... relatively few of them have the primary goal as "go kill x of y". Ironically, it's only years into  the game's life that SE added Fields of Valor, and XI got its first true dose of that kind of content. Also coincidentally, Fields of Valor tasks are set up exactly like your run-of-the-mill "quest" from other MMOs. "Kill x of y". The difference is, they're devised as short-term activities for players to engage in if they don't have a lot of time to play, are waiting for a group, or just feel like doing something on a smaller scale. They're not the main form of content in the game.

There is no strawman here. the REPETITION argument wasn't started by me it was by Hyanmen. i know that repetition in MMO is bound to happen and this is something you should tell him not me. His whole argument is about how EQ2 content is repetitive in nature and lacks quality. 

Oh, I see... So, you're claiming the quote below isn't directly from your previous response to me?

"FFXI has plenty of repetition too but i can understand how even you would fail to mention it."

You're claiming you didn't type that? Does someone else ninja your posts when you're not looking?

Yes, sir.. That is your statement. Whoever "started the repetition argument" is irrelevant to the fact that you threw that strawman out at me. Don't blame Hyanmen for that. He didn't type it.

I was dicussing mainly regarding the 'variety' of content when you decided to chime in Then you went on to focus mainly on kill 'x' and 'y' type of quests when there is wide variety of quests in EQ2. You were focusing only on one aspect of game just like Hyanmen was doing. You were trying to tell me that in FFXI quests are not carbon copies of storylines unlike in EQ2, hence repetition argument once again.

That is why i said that just like him you conveniently fail to mention the repetitive aspect of FFXI. And then in very next reply you tell me 'its nature of MMOS'. So like i said no strawman here. This will be my last reply though, i am sick of going in circles and topic has been derailed enough. But make sure to atleast read before you quote me and make sure what was the dicussion about before you throw 'hey look strawman' at me.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

I was dicussing mainly regarding the 'variety' of content when you decided to chime in Then you went on to focus mainly on kill 'x' and 'y' type of quests when there is wide variety of quests in EQ2. You were focusing only on one aspect of game just like Hyanmen was doing. You were trying to tell me that in FFXI quests are not carbon copies of storylines unlike in EQ2, hence repetition argument once again.

That is why i said that just like him you conveniently fail to mention the repetitive aspect of FFXI. And then in very next reply you tell me 'its nature of MMOS'. So like i said no strawman here. This will be my last reply though, i am sick of going in circles and topic has been derailed enough. But make sure to atleast read before you quote me and make sure what was the dicussion about before you throw 'hey look strawman' at me.

So now you acknowledge that you *did* in fact make that remark... and have conjured up this whole explanation to back up why.

Convenient.

Rather like a child who only admits to having stolen from the cookie jar after it's pointed out they still have crumbs around their lips.

As for the rest of your response... You're being completely disingenuous here and you know it (or maybe you don't).

I said that there is repetition within FFXI but that it's to a much lesser degree because of the greater variety of content FFXI has.

More options in content to fill your time with = Less time spent doing any one activity over and over = Less repetition overall.

Really not a difficult concept to grasp. Unless, perhaps, one thinks only in one-dimensional terms.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Originally posted by Nikkita

The game is perfectly playable. There are no game breaking issues. If you want a race to endgame with 10,000 generic quest however, this is not your game. If you like FFXI slow paced community oriented gameplay then you might find this game enjoyable.

Its amazing you can say that with straight face.

And OP, if you like to grind on mobs to level up without any sense or purpose then you will enjoy this. It gives you a  feeling of playing a F2P asian MMO. You will repeat same leves over and over again and crafting is all about hitting standards till it completes. I suggest get hold of buddy key before throwing your money away.

But the game is playable. It has some issues that some people might experience such as not having a great computer is going to make players run it in windowed mode for sure.

but look, my first game was linaege 2 and played it for years. So there's nothing in FF XIV that is daunting. If one is from wow or CoX and one expects that type of game play then sure, you are going to balk. If one is from a game where you are used to going out and finding mobs to kill then this game isn't going to be much of a problem.

If you dissect the game down to "going out and repeating leaves" then that's a larger issue. Do you know what I did in Oblvion and morrowind over the weekend? I killed mobs. Alot of them. but "I" was exploring caves and ruins and killing the things attacking me and having a good time doing it. One "could" adopt the same mindset in these games as opposed to saying "whoa, I have to get to top lvl, better grind mobs.

As far as what another poster indicated as far as no alt tab (I thought it was just me so good to know) or party sp broken after 35, I think that's unfortunate but not the end of the world.

The game is very polished as a game. It has its quirks like many games. It is however, more of a throwback to older types of games in some ways and does require high computer requirments. That and one has to throw one's self into the economy such as it is. I'm not sure it's broken but there are challenges. But hey, I don't require an Auction House so I'm used to searching for things. Still, the way they have implemented their market wards leaves a lot to be desired as I think it separates community.

I don't think it's game breaking at all but I do think it lends to a separation of community which is not good.

When I hear "game breaking" I think Vanguard. Or some of the troubles that Mortal Online has. This game is NOT remotely in the shape of either of those games are launch/release to public.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

for some reason double post
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

So now you acknowledge that you *did* in fact make that remark... and have conjured up this whole explanation to back up why.

Convenient.

Rather like a child who only admits to having stolen from the cookie jar after it's pointed out they still have crumbs around their lips.

As for the rest of your response... You're being completely disingenuous here and you know it (or maybe you don't).

I said that there is repetition within FFXI but that it's to a much lesser degree because of the greater variety of content FFXI has.

More options in content to fill your time with = Less time spent doing any one activity over and over = Less repetition overall.

Really not a difficult concept to grasp. Unless, perhaps, one thinks only in one-dimensional terms.

Yeah your lack of comprehensions is clearly his fault. you jump in middle of discussion without any clue as to what is going on and now you are being snarky? you were just repeating what Hyanmen was saying all along and just like him you failed to mention that  FFXI has repetition too. Doesn't matter repetition is more or less. Main argument was that EQ2 is repetitive and FFXI is not. Please go back and read again since you clearly didn't even read the entire discussion.

And as far i can read, he never said he didn't make that remark. he said there is no strawman since you were just repeating the same thing he has been trying to refute for last two pages. Every MMO has repetition, thats what he was trying to say.

Some people just can't admit they are wrong. Ego is serious business on internet.

Bite Me

Yeah your lack of comprehensions is clearly his fault. you jump in middle of discussion without any clue as to what is going on and now you are being snarky? you were just repeating what Hyanmen was saying all along and just like him you failed to mention that  FFXI has repetition too. Doesn't matter repetition is more or less. Main argument was that EQ2 is repetitive and FFXI is not. Please go back and read again since you clearly didn't even read the entire discussion.

And as far i can read, he never said he didn't make that remark. he said there is no strawman since you were just repeating the same thing he has been trying to refute for last two pages. Every MMO has repetition, thats what he was trying to say.

Some people just can't admit they are wrong. Ego is serious business on internet.

Speaking of jumping into a conversation...

Yes, I joined part way through a conversation in progress... Exactly as happens time and again in pretty much every thread on these forums. People see an interesting discussion in progress, a remark jumps out at them and compels them to reply...

Kinda exactly how you jumped in to reply to my post, even though I was addressing someone else.

Funny how that works, innit?

I was responding to a specific aspect of the discussion... not addressing their conversation as a whole. That is, the content in FFXI versus the content in EQ2.

My comprehension is fine. A remark was made. I responded to said remark. Maker of said remark denied making it. I quoted said remark. Maker of said remark suddenly changed their story.

Thanks for caring enough to bring it up, though :).

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

I hate to say it but this MMO is just not that great atm. It has a plethora of potential, but nothing to show for five years of hard work besides in the graphics department. I honestly find it a chore to log on anymore, i just do not have fun. I would say around the 20s is really where the game takes a downward spiral cause you realize that it's just the same thing over and over again, with no relief. I thought they were going to get rid of the bad things in FFXI and keep the good things, instead they took out the good things and implemented more bad things. I've honestly been an avid supporter of FFXIV, but what for? I can't with an honest face say this game has been fun, it feels like the most overbearing grind and honestly it gives me shudders just thinking about sitting in another cave killing another damn mole or skeleton or w/e else. Everyone bashes WoW, but WoW has been able time and time again to create interesting quests and environments (even if they have shoddy graphics), and all FFXIV has is copy and pasted environments with very little to define a zone. I don't know, at first FFXIV is beautiful but then it's more like, "I've already seen this exact same cave seven times, or this exact same underpass". If they were to add some, or should I say a deluge of intriguing quests, an AH, a mail system, and whatever else this game is missing FFXIV may have a chance. I don't see myself playing this in a months time, it's got a long way to go before I even consider paying a dollar for it. 

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

Speaking of jumping into a conversation...

Yes, I joined part way through a conversation in progress... Exactly as happens time and again in pretty much every thread on these forums. People see an interesting discussion in progress, a remark jumps out at them and compels them to reply...

Kinda exactly how you jumped in to reply to my post, even though I was addressing someone else.

Funny how that works, innit?

I was responding to a specific aspect of the discussion... not addressing their conversation as a whole. That is, the content in FFXI versus the content in EQ2.

My comprehension is fine. A remark was made. I responded to said remark. Maker of said remark denied making it. I quoted said remark. Maker of said remark suddenly changed their story.

Thanks for caring enough to bring it up, though :).

Nope your comprehension is not fine. A remark was made, you called that remark a 'strawman'. Maker of said remark responded 'there is no strawman' which you read as 'there is no remark'. You accused him for changing his story but the maker of remark kept repeating that his remark was in line with on going dicussion and that there is no strawman.

Nice try though.

Bite Me

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689

Originally posted by toddze

Ok, this is getting old. Ok you guys say theres no purpose in leveling? At the moment your correct, yes. In the the immediate future your so wrong though, FFXI is one of the most content rich MMO's EVER, same people are working on ffxiv what makes you think it will be any differnt? FFXI wasnt FFXI overnight.

FFXIV is a bare bone game as we speak right now, but I pitty anyone who doesnt think SE will add content, theres so much data mined content out there, all you have to do is look and see that its comming. If you cant grow and be patient with an MMO thats fine, me personally I can level crafting class, gathering classes, and combat classes all the while being patient for content that will come. And when that content does come I will be more than ready for it, unlike someone who has to have it all NOW.

I have  not put much effort into combat, but i do have a 20 GLA, 20 PUG, and 20, THM. I can tell you without a shodaw of a doubt that with abilities from those 3 classes makes me much stronger than anybody with just one of them leveled. I am scared to think what a person with multiple level 50's could do.

I didn't know, which is why I made this thread. I am just going to wait, as I don't see the point in leveling now then just unsubbing in 2 month's when I get bored. If I wait a bit for more content I can just keep the sub and keep playing at that point, plus the fact I have no clue what direction this game will take over the next year so I want to be sure it goes in a good direction that I can get involved with. To many MMO's now release in sad content-less states, then try to patch it in later. Which is funny considering how many that have tried that have all failed with now FF on top of the list. Said games do generally get better after a year, but at a loss of 70% of subs or so that never return. But hopefully SE will be different and bring the game back around, considering who they are while the other companies had no records or bad trek records of doing so.

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.