Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thats some bull%$#

2»

Comments

• PhuzionitePhuzionite Member Posts: 20

Worst thing is the giveaway came up for me 20minutes late. I chuckled at first then i was like >;[, i spent an hour bashing away. Not as most as some, but i don't have any bots/autoclickers/slaves to do anything for me. I literally stared at my screen on this page for one whole hour to find out the giveaway doesn't even show where i live until 20minutes after it was released.

In other words : 19:90 seconds after90 bots and 10 lucky people get it.

-To people that think this will backfire. No it won't. I dont think MMORPG gives a damn about how many players they *could've* gained as a bonus, they wanted the traffic and that generates revenue. But thats just one layer of this ridiculously bountiful cake.      On top of that their statistics would look incredible and would attract bigger companies/sponsors and would justify adspace cost increases. Amongst that it would make MMORPG seem prestigious and truely the greatest gathering in gaming community. This will in turn generate genuine membership signups and forumers, revenue and more sponsorships etc...inbetween this are big titles giving CB codes(in this case - Rift). They are essentially getting the world for giving absolutely nothing and we sit by the sidelines, looking stupid after F5 bashing.

Its business ladies and gentleman and its dusgusting.

War does not determine who is right, but who is left.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Meh, it's obvious botting and I don't know why MMORPG managment didn't see it and deal with it after Day 1. Simple code input (captcha, for example) would've sufficed to confirm they're dealing with a real person.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

yeah that was the most idiotic way to do a contest ever... and as others have stated they should have had some sort of limit on it as should all contests. be a member for x amount of time, actually take an active part in the forums once in awhile.

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

Originally posted by Methos12

Meh, it's obvious botting and I don't know why MMORPG managment didn't see it and deal with it after Day 1. Simple code input (captcha, for example) would've sufficed to confirm they're dealing with a real person.

I agree, this would make sense.

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

This was really poorly handled by mmorpg.com staff.  How long would it have taken to set up the usual giveaway where you sign up, and get more chances to win based on how many times you log into the site, and in the end it's done Randomly so everyone has a chance.

Nothing but laziness and apathy from the staff on this one.

• ArmaGetItOnArmaGetItOn Member Posts: 6

I feel bad for other users that were sitting here like me refreshing the page constantly to get a key but didn't get one. It's 1 part luck (because of website response time) and 1 part how fast you saw it. The first 100 posts were made in a span of 2 minutes, 1 second. In some cases, 10 posts were made simultaneously over a 1 second span.

Don't blame it on bots though. That is extremely far fetched, and people say there are bots because they like to believe they didn't get a key because of an unfair advantage - kind of like in FPS games, when people think "he's better than me, he must be cheating". A script capable of recognizing the news post and replying in it would not only have to be extremely sophisticated, but it would also still be against the website response time along with the rest of us.

• rastamolerastamole Member Posts: 7

its BETA anyway - not like they are giving a lifetime membership for the game away. Beside the servers might crash once or twice during beta( doubtfully). Its still only CLOSED beta there is still open beta anyways. The game isnt going anywhere. Trust me I wanted to check out the crafting and the game also, but I can wait gang.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Originally posted by ArmaGetItOn

I feel bad for other users that were sitting here like me refreshing the page constantly to get a key but didn't get one. It's 1 part luck (because of website response time) and 1 part how fast you saw it. The first 100 posts were made in a span of 2 minutes, 1 second. In some cases, 10 posts were made simultaneously over a 1 second span.

Don't blame it on bots though. That is extremely far fetched, and people say there are bots because they like to believe they didn't get a key because of an unfair advantage - kind of like in FPS games, when people think "he's better than me, he must be cheating". A script capable of recognizing the news post and replying in it would not only have to be extremely sophisticated, but it would also still be against the website response time along with the rest of us.

I wrote a program that could have watched the site, and warned me the moment it came up in about 10 minutes. If I'd felt like it, I could have added the part that automatically sent "key please" the moment it saw it... in about 30 minutes. I'm not a web bot guru either. I'm sure a lot of other people who weren't at work took the time.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

There are multiple threads concerning frustration over the giveaway. Please do not create your own thread on the same topic. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.