Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The #1 MMORPG

destro3979destro3979 Member Posts: 470

If Guild Wars is so bad then why is it rated 9.0 and WOW in 8.0 and so on

hmmm...

i think all of you should take a quik look at that.

Comments

• emdtemdt Member Posts: 325

u got a point there....its a great game, i love it too

but somehow, its like rups vs. dem or Andrew Jackson

either u love it or hate

---------------------------------------------
    *characters*
    Guild Wars
    -Danish Kokor-lvl 20 monk/mesmer
    -Ettarde Aoi- lvl 7 warrior/ranher
    Maple Story
    -Danish-lvl30 Hunter
    -kokore-lvl8 Mage
    Runescape
    -Lady Ettarde-lvl 58

• FadeFade Member Posts: 419

in no way do i discredit Guild Wars but i find it very funny that the #1 mmorpg on this site is not even a real mmorpg.

proud member of BKB http://www.bkbhq.com/

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

Originally posted by Fade

in no way do i discredit Guild Wars but i find it very funny that the #1 mmorpg on this site is not even a real mmorpg.

I agree.image

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• VanchauVanchau Member UncommonPosts: 19

it'll go down. WoW used to be an 8.8.

::Game Played::
    Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, Everquest 2, Lineage 2, Ragnarok Online, Maple Story, Mabinogi, & Final Fantasy 11.

• DroniacDroniac Member UncommonPosts: 74

Originally posted by destro3979
    hmmm...

Not a lot of votes so far and obsessive fanboys from other games who can't take the game's success have yet to start voting to tear it's score down.
    WoW already had a share of critical reviews and more votes.

• jd269jd269 Member Posts: 225

The obsessive fanboys have started voting it down.. it was a 9.3. Every game goes down, but it will be up there for awhile.

• VoltairineVoltairine Member Posts: 11

Well, lets see, its massively multiplayer, its online, and its an rpg. Seems like an mmorpg to me...Do you really expect this site, and the whole world, to conform to your rigid definition of what an mmorpg is? And do you really care if this game is a "real mmorpg"? Assuming that its only a semi-mmorpg, will that prevent you from playing it? Are you a member of the Mmorpg Inquisition or something?image

I love that people take the fact that combat zones are instanced, and use it as an argument that this game is not an mmorpg. The only difference this makes is that you can't steal my kills or my loot in this game. Cry me a river.

“. . . so long as the people do not care to exercise their freedom, those who wish to tyrannize will do so; for tyrants are active and ardent, and will devote themselves in the name of any number of gods, religious and otherwise, to put shackles upon sleeping men.”
    Voltairine De Cleyre

• sushimeessushimees Member Posts: 489

Originally posted by Rikimaru_X
    in no way do i discredit Guild Wars but i find it very funny that the #1 mmorpg on this site is not even a real mmorpg.I agree.image

It's an evolution ^^

• tristan3056tristan3056 Member Posts: 3

I was inclined to say the same thing initially, but have since changed my mind. Why? Well, as the previous poster points out, this game does have all the characteristics of an MMO (Massive & Multpliplayer & Online). However, it is a different kind of MMO. So far we have seen primarily MMOs which do not instance the world itself. I suspect that this allows them to use much fewer resources and thus offer the game without a monthly fee. This is anohter big difference: most MMOs charge a monthly fee. But I do not think that is a valid criteria, either.

It seems that most people who claim that this is not an MMO do so because it lacks the ability to interact with people outside of the towns & outposts. While this is true, it does give teams "peace" in playing the way they choose, it allows the game to skip spawns (which some ppl don't like) and it also keeps the resource use low. Also, before anyone says "its like Diablo", let me point out that you cannot play this game in "single player mode" and you must be online to play it.

If you don't think this is an MMO, then please tell us why, rather than just saying "its not".

t.

• MarkuMarku Member Posts: 452

they should wipe ALL ratings so we can get a fresh view of each game. so many games are constantly changing its unfair to say a game at release sucks and never take note of what's been done thats made it better.

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

I dont trust the ratings after I played GW. GW is the worst "MMORPG" to play after L2.

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

• DevnantDevnant Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by chrisel

I dont trust the ratings after I played GW. GW is the worst "MMORPG" to play after L2.

Really, the hardcore MMORPG player who enjoys spending 16 hours a day grinding, stomping and UNFAIR PVP will definitely hate this game.

Perhaps players who enjoy games of skill, who dispise MMORPGs but like RPGs like Baldur´s Gate and Diablo will love it. I enjoy both, and I took quite a liking in Guild Wars. Can´t find myself playing any other game at the moment.

• InstagoInstago Member Posts: 109

I like the game but it's a massive conglomerate of instances- there are no worldy zones or areas where many people can be at one time and interact without many restrictions. It is definately not a true MMORPG, but people can still mask it as one, anyway.

Guild wars = Super battle.net 3d edition!

Guild Wars is like a single player game but it is played online- most, if not all the players will experience relatively the same thing (Diablo 2 anyone?) disregarding class choices and possibly loot.

Perhaps players who enjoy games of skill, who dispise MMORPGs but like RPGs like Baldur´s Gate and Diablo will love it. I enjoy both, and I took quite a liking in Guild Wars. Can´t find myself playing any other game at the moment.

If one despises MMORPGs why would one play Guild Wars? Seems like you are implying that Guild Wars is not a MMORPG- it is more like Baldur's Gate and Diablo, ::::35::.

The Sims 2 has some similarities to a real time strategy game, but I doubt many of us would run around calling it an RTS. Guild Wars is in a similar scenario, except many people are calling Guild Wars the 'RTS.'

For reference, the question is answered on the official www.guildwars.com website:

Is Guild Wars an MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game)?

Guild Wars has some similarities to existing MMORPGs, but it also has some key differences. Like existing MMOs, Guild Wars is played entirely online in a secure hosted environment. Thousands of players inhabit the same virtual world. Players can meet new friends in gathering places like towns and outposts where they form parties and go questing with them. Unlike many MMOs, when players form a party and embark upon a quest in Guild Wars, they get their own private copy of the area where the quest takes place. This design eliminates some of the frustrating gameplay elements commonly associated with MMOs, such as spawn camping, kill stealing, and lines to complete a quest.

Guild Wars takes place in a large virtual world made up of many different zones, and players can walk from one end of the world to the other. In Guild Wars much of the tedium of traveling through the world has been eliminated. Players can instantly return to any safe area (town or outpost) that they have previously visited just by clicking on it in the world overview map.

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game). Guild Wars was designed from the ground up to create the best possible competitive role-playing experience. Success in Guild Wars is always the result of player skill, not time spent playing or the size of one's guild. As characters progress, they acquire a diverse set of skills and items, enabling them to use new strategies in combat. Players can do battle in open arenas or compete in guild-vs-guild warfare or the international tournament. Engaging in combat is always the player's choice, however; there is no player-killing in cooperative areas of the world.

Finally, unlike existing MMOs, all characters in Guild Wars inhabit the same virtual world -- they are not divided onto different servers or shards -- so players can always team up with or compete against any other player in the world.

Originally posted by Instago

If one despises MMORPGs why would one play Guild Wars? Seems like you are implying that Guild Wars is not a MMORPG- it is more like Baldur's Gate and Diablo, ::::35::.
    The Sims 2 has some similarities to a real time strategy game, but I doubt many of us would run around calling it is an RTS. Guild Wars is in a similar scenario, except many people are calling Guild Wars the 'RTS.'

I said that based on what traditional MMORPGs have in common: grinding.

Traditional MMORPGs supports the player who spend most of his time in the game levelling up constantly.

Hardcore MMORPG players usually spend 4/5ths of their time in this process, and are rewarded by the amount of time played by: getting better weapons and armors, better money, better skills, better attributes, better resistances... in short, a group of things that make PVE easy, and make PVP unfair in front of those who aren´t as high lvl because didn´t, couldn´t, or woudn´t bother to spend as much time in this grinding process as the hardcore player.

Taking Baldur´s Gate for an instance, there is no such thing as grinding. There is a low lvl cap and battles are challenging in a way that they oblige the player to ¨think¨ about which strategy they will use in order to win the battle. In Balgur´s Gate there is a reward to skilled players.

Traditional MMORPGs only give rewards to skilled players once they reach the lvl cap with the best items. Meaning: only when you can´t possibly get any more powerfull than you already are, in a process that usually takes months, your rewards are ¨solely¨ based on your skills. It doens´t matter how good you are, in PVP or PVE you´ll get owned by a player/monster who is a few lvls above you. And you know there ARE those hardcore ¨I don´t have a life¨ traditional MMORPG players who love stomping on people who are 20 lvls bellow them (and after that telling their moms how good they are in the game and blablabla).

People who enjoy ¨pure based¨ skill games may hate MMORPGs because of this tedious grinding process.

Now take Guild Wars. You have the complex strategy, you have the limit of skills to choose, you have the low limit lvl cap, and you have the balance as in Baldur´s Gate. The lvl cap can be reached in 2 days, and there is much more challenge and fairness in PVE and PVP compared to other MMORPGs out there.

So why may someone who dispises MMORPGs love Guild Wars? Because Guild Wars is not your common MMORPG. No gringing, no tedious travelling, no pkilling... no negative aspects most MMORPGs have in common.

PS: the only reason why I compared GW with Diablo is due to the fast paced action, and the similar way in which attribute points can be distributed once you lvl up. Actually Diablo has more things in common with other MMORPGs (grinding, rare items hunting) than it has with Guild Wars.

Ditto.

• D_shandrilD_shandril Member Posts: 116

Finally, unlike existing MMOs, all characters in Guild Wars inhabit the same virtual world -- they are not divided onto different servers or shards -- so players can always team up with or compete against any other player in the world.

I really like that part, i usualy try to stay away from game that separete the world in multiple server since it prevent you to play with all the other people playing the game, i rather play a game like EVE that only have one server. In guildwars yes you play on diferent instance but you can meet with people around the world that play to, the other day i went on international district an met some  korean, i could have teamed up with them but coummincation would have been hard lol since  i really dont undertsnad that language.
  • LaneoLaneo Member Posts: 359

Originally posted by destro3979

hmmm...

All games that are new and very interesting will be at the top of the scoreboard until people get bored with them. The score will drop eventually and with new games emerging...wash, rinse, repeat.

EQ2 (puke) was at the top when it released....Wow was at the top when it released....

GW will fall when it starts to become repetitive (which should be soon with the level 20 cap)

Nobody is perfect...My name is Nobody

• FadeFade Member Posts: 419

following up my last post: the reason i do not classify Guild Wars as a mmorpg is that the company behind GW doesnt consider it a mmorpg. the company has declared GW to be in a new genre called mmocp (sp) massive multiplayer online competitive game.

proud member of BKB http://www.bkbhq.com/

• OFFOOFFO Member Posts: 6
    GW is a great game, but not the best there is. Yes, it has rating of 8.9 right now, but so had WoW. I'd say that it will fall down to 7 or 8, no more and no less
  • anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Why is it rated 9.0? Cuz you dont have to have a brain to put your review of a game here. You dont even have to try it, duh. Any peon with a pulse can put their 2 cents in. All the band wagon jumping bedwetters happen to like Guild Wars at the moment. Watch when the flavor of the month changes, WoW will be back on top.

• InstagoInstago Member Posts: 109

So why may someone who dispises MMORPGs love Guild Wars? Because Guild Wars is not your common MMORPG.

Good job- you have figured out the point I was trying to make and still am trying to make ;).

• TyveilTyveil Member Posts: 201

Originally posted by Devnant

Really, the hardcore MMORPG player who enjoys spending 16 hours a day grinding, stomping and UNFAIR PVP will definitely hate this game.

You'd think that, but honestly, I can't even see those type of players disliking the game.  As a matter of fact I can't see anybody disliking the game who plays it to the point of at least Yak's bend (around level 10-12, by that time they should know the game pretty well).
  • TyveilTyveil Member Posts: 201

Seems to be a lot of people out there who believe they will dislike Guild Wars before they've even tried it enough to know.  I was one of those people who learned a lot about the game and decided there is no way it could be for me.  I even wrote a thread on this board bashing some of the core concepts of Guild Wars and why they are no good for an MMORPG (or whatever you want to call it!)

After playing the game for the last week and losing a lot of sleep, I can honestly say this is the best Online Role Playing Game I have ever played, and I have played them all.  Please don't bash the game and say it is not deserving of a 9/10 without trying it.  I believe it will be the first game on MMORPG.com to sustain such a high rating, unless many rival game players convince others to rate it low without trying it.

Originally posted by Instago

So why may someone who dispises MMORPGs love Guild Wars? Because Guild Wars is not your common MMORPG.

Good job- you have figured out the point I was trying to make and still am trying to make ;).

Why is it so hard for everybody to understand? image

Originally posted by Tyveil

Originally posted by Devnant

You'd think that, but honestly, I can't even see those type of players disliking the game.  As a matter of fact I can't see anybody disliking the game who plays it to the point of at least Yak's bend (around level 10-12, by that time they should know the game pretty well).

Probably yes. But once they get to lvl 20 they may get sick of it fast like:

¨WTF!!! This noob played 3 days and already kicks my asssss........ I played for 3 months! This sux!!!¨

• IphicratesIphicrates Member Posts: 56
    THis game would attract ppl who suck at MMORPGs(or ppl who dont try hard enough)because of the reason that a noob whos played for like 45 hours kicked a pro's ass.Noobs for every1!!!!! 

COUNTER-STRIKE PWNZ!

• AtleusAtleus Member Posts: 21

Originally posted by Iphicrates
    THis game would attract ppl who suck at MMORPGs(or ppl who dont try hard enough)because of the reason that a noob whos played for like 45 hours kicked a pro's ass.Noobs for every1!!!!! 

Noobs.. there are no noobs in this game you noob. That's the reason there are only 20 levels, fair play, everyone equal and good stragetic equipments. I'd say this game has by far have the best visual effects for a Online RPG-like kinda game (since a few of you people don't consider it as a MMO) I mean come on, what the hell is the big deal, some people like Guild Wars, some people don't. I suggest you whiners go to a different game discussion and don't go in here just to talk trash.

x[..The end will make a new beginning..]x