Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ok ive just gotta know

neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

im gleening and what im seeing is that this game is similar to eve in reguards of time passes and you get skil/exp points to spend on things.  didnt hate that in eve so i suppose i dont hate it here.

but is this game like eve with its stale spreadsheet based combat?  or is it like mechwarrior?  do i get choices like shooting extended range particle projecters(lightning cannons that fubar the targets systems when they hit) high powered lasers and cannons that can shatter laser refracting armor and missiles that may or may not be shot down by anti missile systems?  or is it like eve where i equip generic gun type a with long mid or short range ammo and proceed to auto attack until i or the target dies.

also, do i get to target and aim at things, or do i simply lock on and proceed to auto attack until i or the target dies(i used to love dialing in mech 3 lag shots over 56k modem, i was better at it then most so while they were still pinging me in the shoulder or missing, i was rocking their cockpits or center chest).

Comments

• Neoxx27Neoxx27 Member Posts: 63

The combat (I'm talking about PvP) is very active because you are manually controlling your bot and you have to worry about range, terrain, destructible objects around you, etc etc.  I'm assuming you have played EvE though.

You do have to lock things before you shoot, but you can have many targets depending on what type of bot/mech you're in.  Early on you only have a few, but the current skills allow for up to 11, but the bots havnt caught up to that yet AFAIK.  You do auto attack (activate weapon modules) but with the WASD controls it would probably be too much to keep track of if you had to activate them every time they cooled down.

You can scramble locking computers, reduce lock range and increase lock times, demobilize, neutralize or drain energy, repair other bots, give energy to friendlies, group buffs for almost every stat (range, lock, damage, speed, mining, energy, etc).  These all depend on what you equip and the type of bot that gets bonuses to certain things as well.  There are many options, but not all of them are really accessible this early in the game (group buffs namely).   You have long range snipers (range extender modules), short range shotguns with extreme dps (short range ammo on short range version magnetic guns), high arc missiles to shoot over bumpy terrain (lower dps), and everything in between depending on which modules you fitted.

This shit could go on and on about fittings and tactics, but I'll stop here.  We are still very early in the game and a lot of these things havnt even begun to show up just because the corps havnt made a lot of the items yet (higher tier or bigger size).  Everyone is still running around in small stuff with limited fitting capabilities.  People cant get too creative just yet until the bipedal mechs come into play.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

wait, bipedal is 2 legs, no 2 leg mechs yet?  how are they walking without 2 legs? hehe treads? or did you mean like armored core where they have 2 sets of legs, quadropedal!

i liked armored core except it didnt have hit boxes for arms/legs/front back or head like mechwarrior always had.

dissappointed to hear theres no aiming, its not much of a giant robot shooter if you dont even aim (mechwarrer we used joysticks to drive hat switch to look to either side (and fire that sides arm weapons if you still had that arm) and had jump jet key if you had jets, and twist the stick to twist your waste (run foward but face left right or anywhere in between heh) and it was good, complex but good).

• Neoxx27Neoxx27 Member Posts: 63

They are in the game, but no one has made them yet.  Everything past very basic stuff has to be player made.  To make it you have to research it, and to research it you have to research the lower level items/bots before it, and to get research you have to kill NPC's which drop kernals that contain info on how things related to it are made.  Even when you get all the research you have to Prototype the item first which takes about 10x the time and materials than producing one, then reverse engineer it to be able to load it into the factory for mass production.  When you get into things like mechs each step can take days if not weeks depending on skills and the facility you are using.  Even after you get these things finished the players will likely not even be able to pilot them very well, and many may not even be able to pilot them at all depending on when they started.

well dammit thats a bust, get the 300 meg download done, at 1 kb/s rate, go hungery your internet sux.

register

go to buy some service and try it, nothing but paypal as an option, i dont have or want a paypal account ><

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

If youre looking for Mechwarrior within Perpetuum,then you'll be dissapointed..

its more like eve,targeting then auto firing...although u can manually fire your weapons if you want,like eve.

Mechwarrior it is not.

ya i guess im not too bummed out about not being able to pay for it, there seems to be no player skill at all involved in hitting targets, just eve lock on and auto attack, with the addition of walking behind objects to block line of sight, meh, guess thats why its paypal only, gods way of saying you dont wanna try it after all!

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Yes.   You lock your target and you select the guns you want to fire with.

However the movement control is more enjoyable than with eve, since its WASD movment instead of 'orbit target'   The AI attempts to position itself AT its optimal range,  which means if you move forward, it will move back.... if you move back, it will move forward.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

The PvE is 10x better than EvE. And that was my largest issue with EvE. I can not even stomach the PvE in EvE....it is SO damn repetitive...lol

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

Well the only difference with PvP in EVE and PvP in PO is that its ground based in PO and you get to strafe around your little pice of crap.. metal I mean :). Weapons are similarly based on range, you drop target if you get too far etc etc. The only difference is that you can just strafe your droid around in PO and because of that battle feels a bit more fast paced.

• ArquitetoArquiteto Member Posts: 228

Originally posted by reanor

Well the only difference with PvP in EVE and PvP in PO is that its ground based in PO and you get to strafe around your little pice of crap.. metal I mean :). Weapons are similarly based on range, you drop target if you get too far etc etc. The only difference is that you can just strafe your droid around in PO and because of that battle feels a bit more fast paced.

This is pretty much it, but staffing doesn[object Window]t mean you dodge bullets. The combat in Perpetuum is eve on land. Nothing more . I love it but anyone who hated eve combat will most liklely not like the combat of this game after the initial excitement factor wears off.

Well the only difference with PvP in EVE and PvP in PO is that its ground based in PO

and yeah man that is a HUGE difference. it is not little.

hehe

:D

• BoosthungryBoosthungry Member Posts: 137

If your familiar with combat in Eve then you will be at home here.  If you don't like that you probably won't like this.

But there are some big differences:

First, managing your range is a big factor and a bigger strategy.  And I'm surprised no one has mentioned so far that there is Line Of Sight.  So you can hide behind a destrcutible plant, rock, ect and then pop out and fire or run behind a wall or over a hill for cover until your ready to strike so this adds something that Eve can't compete with in terms of strategy and dynamic combat.

I will note that missles arc so they hit past most objects.  They honestly need to be nerfed and will be nerfed quickly IMO.

It has to be pointed out that straffing does nothing.  Also, there doesnt appear to be any kind of penalty for firing while moving.

The only real reason you move is to get into your optimal, or get out of their locking range...  or if your running away of course. Even getting behind landscape doesnt block gun fire.   So long as your in range, there could be a mountain in the way, and you'd still get hit.

So in certain respects the combat isnt as complex as with eve, and there are no where near as many different kind of robots as there are ships in eve.  there is only like 20 or so, and some of those are industrial.   however they have done a good job of making electronic warfare way more important.  almost all NPC's use Ewar

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413

Lets not lose sight of the fact and i hate using the phrase but "end game" has not been touched yet in offical release.

The game is very much in its infancy, and as it develops so will the content, mechanics, politics etc etc

Early days here, and great to be part of it.

Originally posted by emota

Over the years I've personally come to realise that being part of an MMO at the beggining is not always such a great thing.

I actually wish I'd have started Eve Online today, than 5 years ago...  it takes so damn long for things to improve. (took CCP 2 years to "fix" drones)  Now I only re-sub to Eve when a new expansion comes out,  and actually I wont get really back into eve until walking in stations.  Even then it might suck so much that i'll wait another year for it to improve.

I can see myself getting bored of PO while waiting for this very small game studio to make big changes ( e.g. it desperatly needs more robots, modules, skills, content) and re-subbing when they make an expansion.   Literally, the photo's of their office looks like someone's bedroom.

But you are right about the pvp part,  there is still a lot of 'unknown'  but at 1 skill point per minute its going to be a very long.. slow and mundane journey with no promise of anything more than the usual blob warfare.

I don't think I'll last in PO longer than a month. Thats what my 2 accounts are subbed for right now. I'll play PO a bit longer as part of a corporation, but I know that I'll get bored. Game has nothing to offer right now, nothing more than repetitive assignments. Thats the only progression type available in game today. I'll do some mining with corpmates, some PvP raids in Arkhas and what not, but that won't last long.

Also it takes forever for little foreign companies (most of them are little) to update their games with any new content. I know PO won't be different. But 1 month is no big deal. I'll probably be playing forsaken world after that. PO will keep crawling ahead by a little tiny steps of misery. There will be a few hundred devoted players but thats about it. I don't see how with budget like that devs will be able to do anything for a game.

Also it takes forever for little foreign companies (most of them are little) to update their games with any new content. I know PO won't be different. But 1 month is no big deal. I'll probably be playing forsaken world after that. PO will keep crawling ahead by a little tiny steps of misery. There will be a few hundred devoted players but thats about it. I don't see how with budget like that devs will be able to do anything for a game.

I disagree. They only have a staff of 10 to support.

From the play/looks of it, their core code assemblies are solid. For the most part everything is working.

I think they will be fine money wise. If your core software is solid, it's easy/cheap to build upon it. Software development is a thinking mans game, and these guys seem to have thought this out (at least judging from their product so far).

Far as your boredom atm, I can understand that. But at least your only 20 dollars invested initially in 2 accounts, versus 100 like most other game launches/pricing models. :D

I dont see how can they be financially OK. Even if they only have 10 guys to work on the game, and most likely not all of them are game devs. I don't see how can any game company live off of a few hundred people subscriptions. They need a lot of money to be able to support the game.

I don't know what was their budget on game development, from the looks of the game it wasn't much, but to support the game they will need a lot of money. First month always shows what will become of the game. I hope PO will do well. They will have to invest even more time now to make their game fun at least for those who paid and likes it. I don't see anything in this game that would attract many new players.

Quite a few EVE players will most likely try it out, but this is very niche type of game. It doesn't appeal to a "regular gamer". And if devs want PO to stand anywhere even close to EVE, which this game competes with - its as clear as day - they need to work even harder than when they were developing the game.

As someone said I've read before - he was actually happy to get back to EVE - how shallow and boring this game felt. And I have to agree. My EVE sub is cancelled, but after playing PO for a few days I am already thinking about how cool it would be get back to EVE, which I won't of course. I can't wait until The Old Republic is finally released so i can finally can stop jumpink from one MMO to the other...

PO has potential. And these words were said thousands of times. Problem is that very few devs ever realize that potential and even fewer actually are able to deliver that potential and implement it into their games. If they not gonna do anything much the first month for PO - I am not seeing much happening for PO after that either.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

1 US Dollar = 214.369 Hungarian Forint

1 Hungarian Forint (HUF) = 0.004665 US Dollar (USD)

trust me, they are financially fine right now with 900 subs......lol

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by neorandom

well dammit thats a bust, get the 300 meg download done, at 1 kb/s rate, go hungery your internet sux.

register

go to buy some service and try it, nothing but paypal as an option, i dont have or want a paypal account ><

Yea its currently what stoping me from giving it a shot.. I REALLY enjoy playing games at launch and i tried Prepetuum's open beta and was pretty satisfied.. But i've had issues with paypal in the past so no thx on useing them.. >.>

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• xSagaixSagai Member CommonPosts: 94

Originally posted by sadeyx

Originally posted by emota

I can see myself getting bored of PO while waiting for this very small game studio to make big changes ( e.g. it desperatly needs more robots, modules, skills, content) and re-subbing when they make an expansion.   Literally, the photo's of their office looks like someone's bedroom.

Not sure what big changes you are looking for? The big appeal of a sandbox game is getting in at the beginning and shaping the world. Having played through beta for the past several months these guys are not slow to roll out updates and they always come out rock solid.

The office makes it all the more impressive and goes to show that big budgets and "ideal" coding conditions does not make a great game.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by BigCountry
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010
    1 US Dollar = 214.369 Hungarian Forint
    1 Hungarian Forint (HUF) = 0.004665 US Dollar (USD)

This is absolutely meaningless as it does not say anything about currency value.