Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if crafting was like KOTOR?

HathiHathi Member Posts: 236

I was pleasantly surprised to see Bioware's crafting direction for their upcoming MMO. What if DC universe looked at this angle to implement crafting in the game?

True, few heroes craft themselves. However, can they hire / befriend/ someone or an entity that could? Villains can do this in spades because many of them have henchmen. 

It could work, yes?

Finally - Best site for Chuck Norris
http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

Comments

• xerxiesxerxies Member Posts: 27

Crafting is a cool aspect, especially for MMOs, but since, as mentioned in the news article, every hero used to just be an ordinary citizen, I don't know if that would fit. Wow had crafting because it is a fantasy game that is in an early, more primitive time period. DCUO on the other hand is the exact opposite, everything is futuristic.

Back to my other point of everyone used to be a citizen and was "infected" by the exobytes and turned into heroes. If that's what the game is about, i'm pretty sure not everyone knows how to craft. I mean seriously, it's the future, you would think that machines did everythin for you.

Those are my opinions on crafting.

Visit the new DCUO fansite, the Gotham Library at GothamLibrary.com.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

every mmo to date has had crafting

over 90% of those games crafting failed to be relevant or fun

im glad a game like DCU skipped crafting, it wouldnt have been good, they didnt wanna put it in, they stood up for their belief and left it out, ild wager this makes the game more fun.

if you want a game where crafting is deep, involved, even risky, try eve, the crafting is about the only thing to do in that game considering combat is done via spreadsheet mechanics.

• Colossus1979Colossus1979 Member Posts: 125

two different things said in the last couple of posts actually make me want to see more crafting aspects in the game...i've already said once before, you could play more of a "benefactor" role and just pay a person who'd craft for you...if given the correct components. (make quest lines going along....random rare drops etc.)

but what about those people infused and who aren't foutunate enough to have money to pay a person, not everyone in the super hero world is a billionare who's parents got shot and left them tons of cash. and also, you have to realize that while the premise of picking a tree and having a certian hero be your bankroll is great.....but also unrealistic too, again alot of these guys don't have money and they are scraping by. spiderman has to make his own costumes, web fluid and the like. alot of heroes do their own crafting because they are trusted by the greater population of alot of the heoes in some cases because of methods or whatever.

take for instance in the DC universe steel, he was a guy who made weapons for the army, saw the horrors done with them and quit. he ends up living in the "suicide slums" which is basically the metropolis ghetto, he's a damned buliding super who had to fashion his own suit. my point is alot of these heoes and villians are working on the fly, making it up as they go along most times. and if they really wanted to give it a hero fel they'd at least give you the option.

as far as being more fun without it,i've always thought it'd be more fun to experiment...make stuff go on field runs with it...trying different methods, all kinds of stuff you see these guys do in the books. contrary to popular belief and movies...they don't all just jump in costume and blow stuff up and get to bang the hot chick of their choice....there's actually  a building process.

Played:FFXI, WoW, LOTR,EQ. Playing:FFXIV.
    Looking Forward To:DCU, SWTOR.

That is an interesting point you have there. But as of now, there is no crafting and since the game is to be released Q1 of next year (or whenever), you probably will not see it.

Although they might add it in an expansion some how...

theres no crafting because:

the devs didnt want it, they had no interest in forcing a system

the main bulk of the games fanbase doesnt want it, crafters are always a minority in mainstream mmos

the game certainly doesnt need it, you get costumes and powers and all that good stuff from leveling and quests and vendors and drops.

i understand that, but imo i jus think it's kind of kicking alot of comic lore out the window and in a mmo based on a comic universe you'd theink they'd maybe just consider that instead of just going the easy route of just not having it in general. and of course you'd get items from from quests or drops, that's almost a given in any mmo, but other than green lantern or maybe the new blue bettle i don't know any super heroes in DC who got got random "drop" items.

the game looks great....i've seen the iconic battle suits you get and of course like i imagined they look pretty great, but if they wanted more..i don't know "canon" of a feel they would have added at least the seperate option of letting the player decide if they either want to do hands on crafting or just using game currency given from mobs and quests to employ a person to do it for you...even give different pluses and minuses for selection of the person. like in the batman tree you get agility bonuses and so on.

i'll say it again i'm not the biggest fan of crafting, but in a world based on comics, as a comic reader i just think not having it is a disservice to the emulation of the heroes themselves. again just my opinion, they won't add it probably ever which is probably a good thing if their heart's aren't in it.  i don't really agree that crafters are a minority in the mmo world, i knew plenty  of people on other mmo's that all they did was craft, crafting is bread and butter on some mmo's, they just don't want it to be for this one, which isn't a bad thing at all.

Besides, have you forgotten that this MMO is basically inventing a subgenre of purely action PvP based style. The focus is on fighting, action, and other combat. Crafting would just be an unnecessary addition that would remove focus from the central idea of the game.

At least that is what I am seeing from this game so far...

but even along those lines after a while you'd have one problem that i could see, the fact that after a while....everyone would have the same iconic gear after a while. crafting wouldn't solve the problem by any means, but it maybe would give another gear option or two. even with crafting there'd be a way to keep action fast moving, but that'd be something they'd have to explore. which probably won't happen.

ok so your arguements for crafting are:

batman buys all those wonderfull toys or designs and pays people to make them for him

and 

iron man built a suit!

most heroes dont sit around making their super items, they are either endowed with power, buy stuff, or have it made for them, theyre out there buisy doing good, and as far as evil goes, we dont build our own crap, thats what minions are for!

Originally posted by neorandom

ok so your arguements for crafting are:

batman buys all those wonderfull toys or designs and pays people to make them for him

and 

iron man built a suit!

most heroes dont sit around making their super items, they are either endowed with power, buy stuff, or have it made for them, theyre out there buisy doing good, and as far as evil goes, we dont build our own crap, thats what minions are for!

sir, my argument is iron man didn't build A suit....iron man builds ALL his suits...personally...from the ground up. if you READ iron man, with the exception of war machine (who he takes the suit back from in the long run anyway) he can't trust the people around him to use his tech for good, so he doesn't trust them at all.  he finds different things...goes "hey this would be awesome" and puts it on a a trial suit and tries it himself first, keeps what he likes and scraps the rest before it gets out.

like reed richards  spend hours upon hours pouring over different things,  ignoring his family and friends at times to use to save the world and galaxy, like spider man makes his OWN web fluid and costumes because until recently nobody knew he was the "webbed menace" J.J. jameson puts in his paper day after day, because if they did he'd have all kinds of psychos trying to kill his aunt and his precious M.J.  just like green goblin used oscorp tech to make his suits then hides the fact he stole money from the comapny, like lex luthor uses his funds to make new and innovative ways to kill a certian kryptonian named kal-el aka superman.

if you read a comic, you'd know the bulk of the heroes  DO make their own nifty toys, and try them out dozens of times in trial and error before even once going "i'm going to used this agains another human/whatever form of life because i'm not out to KILL..i want to incapasitate"....unless your name is frank castle or lex luthor or the joker in which case everyone gets shot in the face, hit with a crazy joy buzzer or kryptonie ray etc.

and if you'd really know the lore, you'd know the joker is too damn smart to hire somebody to make his weapons out of the realtization they'd possibly turn on him and use them against him....or he holds them hostage until they're done and kills the shit out of them becasue he's a scociopath.

but my OTHER point is, if they aren't into it....they shouldn't have to do it...and the fact that it's a comic mmo means they don't need to. which is good, because they can gloss over it, like most people who've never picked up a comic will watch a movie and gloss over the 50 some years someone spent making up all the lore behind the guy on a t-shirt some kid bought at hot-topic.