Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I the only one who found this mmo lacking variety of skills to use and unstylish?

124»

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Karahandras

One of the reasons it's had to bring in a f2p model to try and get the numbers up.

Face it LOTRO could have been so much better if they hadn't gone down the 'wow clone' route. Like many others.

I was so dissapointed when I played this game, a year ago or so. I was expecting to get immersed in Tolkiens vast and rich world but instead I got a small, instanced MMORPG on rails from lvl 1-whatever.

It felt so disengaging playing the game and maybe that have changed now. Probably should DL it and give it another go.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by Angelbound

Well I am giving it another shot, trying a warden soon and maybe if im more patient with the loremaster i will enjoy it more.

I tried and was frustrated by LM several times until I said no way is this class beating me... am 52 now and loving it - Sabre-tooth cat pet in 4 lvls.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

Tried the extra animations etc, people can have there opinons but I am 29 years old and unlike some 30 years old I cannot stand slow paced games like rts games or games based on pure exploration, I play mostly action games that is just what I enjoy, I prefer real time mechanics, exploration is great I love that to but gameplay comes first for me, consoles kind of ruin that for you.

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

Tried the extra animations etc, people can have there opinons but I am 29 years old and unlike some 30 years old I cannot stand slow paced games like rts games or games based on pure exploration, I play mostly action games that is just what I enjoy, I prefer real time mechanics, exploration is great I love that to but gameplay comes first for me, consoles kind of ruin that for you.

I think maybe your just confused on the whole LoTRO entirely. You do know that except for the RuneKeeper there is NO magic classes in LoTRO? All others are non magical in origin, even the LoreMaster. The effects they have for combat in this game fit what the classes do. If a champion is swinging 2 swords, then he is swinging 2 sword, he isn't calling down the light of the gods to smite his enemies. A fantasy world does not mean everything has to be flashy and magical. If you require a game to be that way to enjoy it, I'd recommend finding one that is actually built that way instead of trying to force one that isn't to become what you want. There are plenty of more 'action' style games out there to enjoy, LoTRO is not built around that core philosophy. LoTRO is about real people doing amazing things, just like Tolkien wrote about in his books. Yes, there is great evil and great good to combat it, but that great good came from the hearts of normal everyday people. And the in game combat animations and effects fit that perfectly the way they are.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

I'm not trying to be rude, but...why the hell would you have picked this game? Did you ever actually SEE the movies? Gandalf's best "magic" trick was a white light. Maybe you should try LotR Conquest.

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361

I don't know what turned me off from LOTRO, but I was trying out several F2P games to play on the side. I read up on some, and decided to pick between LOTRO and EQ2. I've played EQ2 in the past on the live servers, so I downloaded LOTRO and gave it a try. I uninstalled the next day. I wanted to log even during the tutorial, but I gave it a chance to around level 10. The game just didn't click with me.

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem

• woeyewoeye Member Posts: 119

To the original poster: yes, I know what you mean.

I really like the all the stuff in LotRO but for some reason the classes do not feel right to me. Maybe the spells/abilities or maybe the animations, I do not know. I have more fun playing my ritualist, monk or necro in GW. This, of course, is really a matter of taste. LotRO is a great game, no doubt. But it's not my style.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It is not really the number of skills that matter but how diverse a single skill is.

Sure, you can have a hide skill for when you stand still, stealth for when you move at night and invisibility for when you move at day but does that make the game any more fun at all?

Skills that you can use in different way, like larceny to pick locks, set and disarm traps and pick pockets are fun and add depth to the game.

But many games including LOTRO have just a single use for a skill and that makes the gameplay inflexible.

I agree that you can't do as much things as you should in LOTRO but it is not the number of skills that is the problem.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

What? This post made no sence at all.

RTS games are more of a fast paced "actiony" type than the RPG genre.

You play more action based games but you claim the console ruined that?

Are you really 29? Or are you just new to gaming in general.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Originally posted by AlysenMinase

I don't know what turned me off from LOTRO, but I was trying out several F2P games to play on the side. I read up on some, and decided to pick between LOTRO and EQ2. I've played EQ2 in the past on the live servers, so I downloaded LOTRO and gave it a try. I uninstalled the next day. I wanted to log even during the tutorial, but I gave it a chance to around level 10. The game just didn't click with me.

Well, they are redoing the tutorial so that could help.

but my sense is that LOTRO is a bit less sensational than other games. It's a bit more reigned in. And that could be part of the reason people have issues with it.

It's less over the top. It's not a dungeons and dragons everything thrown in but the kitchen sink fantasy game.

Now, keep in mind I do like a bit of that. But for me there is something refreshing about LOTRO because players aren't riding flying mounts and mages are everywhere and Dragons and Demons are roaming the land.

However, it does have its issues as I don't really feel "the lord of the rings' in the game as I think one should.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

I know there are lore rules, I really understand that but the only real reason I quit was not enough skills to play around with in this game, and lack of visual effects, the only one I saw where any good was the warden but not the classes I liked, like the captain, the runekeeper, and the loremaster, ok the loremaster was cool but considering his main damage spell was fire it was a bit repetitive and never been a fan of fire.

Anyways I am just wondering who else feels the same way, the content is amazing the mmorpg is fine nothing new but polished and fine but the classes felt to boring to me.

i like LOTRO but i uninstalled it because the classes didnt entertain me, everything else did well except for the classes...none of them

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Originally posted by Timukas

Originally posted by Sovrath

However, it does have its issues as I don't really feel "the lord of the rings' in the game as I think one should.

Same here. To be precise I felt Tolkien in Shadows of Angmar and really enjoyed the game. Even in Moria despite rune-keeper and warden that were added to allure WoW folk. But after that Lotro was like an Asian grinder for me and lost everything that was the Lord of the Rings. Mind, it was my favourite book in my younghood.

Hope someday some other company than Turbine can pick this IP up and start a new Lotro or Middle-Earth Online or whatever.

Extremely unlikely. For one Turbine has exclusive rights to atleast 2017, and likely with a renewal after that. For another Turbine is now a subsidiary of Warner Brothers, which pretty much hold the rest of the license for the books and the movies barring only the "Lost tales" and the Silmarillon. Any game based on only those just wouldn't be LotR, and wouldn't depict anything 90% of people could recognize as middleearth. Not to mention those sources cover like several millenia, its not like they tell a story that could be easily followed or a single setting all people would be comfortable in. They are very much about showing the big picture with bursts of small nonconnected stories of individuals.

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by AlysenMinase

Well, they are redoing the tutorial so that could help.

but my sense is that LOTRO is a bit less sensational than other games. It's a bit more reigned in. And that could be part of the reason people have issues with it.

It's less over the top. It's not a dungeons and dragons everything thrown in but the kitchen sink fantasy game.

Now, keep in mind I do like a bit of that. But for me there is something refreshing about LOTRO because players aren't riding flying mounts and mages are everywhere and Dragons and Demons are roaming the land.

That's definetly not the reason for me. I play EVE >.>

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

I dont think the issue lies within the class design, I think it's rather the fault of the combat system. Often, you have to wait for animation, it has slow responsivness, and each fight takes about 20-30 seconds. With the fact that the game keeps throwing mobs one by one at you, whether its in skirmish, dungeon or a persistent world with the one-mob-each-ten-feet placement system, the game is rather tiresome than fun.

What would help is certainly higher damage vs armor ratio, so each fight is more deadly, and takes less time.

REALITY CHECK