Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games changing overtime

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Sometimes things ingame change overtime because certain parts if it don't work out as they where tought they would...

Looking at GW2, i would not be surprised to see high level weapons with different skills on them in future expansions. Maybe even Crafters being allowed to put certain skills on weapons to replace some of the base skills...

Also i think one day we might see a true AA system next to the trait system to create even more diversity inside a class...

so while everything that arenanet says above the game will be true at release, it can still change over the years after that.... Arenanet is smart enough to change those things in demand by the community if that doesn't hurt hte game ballance and the general fell of the game that they want to acheive...

So are there any thing we allready know about the game that you think they may change over time(after release)?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347

The one thing I hope changes is that the charr will turn against the humans and I get to kill them all.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Wow... We don't even know about all of the features in the game (PvP, Guild system, crafting, a release date) and we already have someone, speculating major game changes, to a game we've never played. Talk about jumping the gun. XD

• CorthagathCorthagath Member Posts: 291

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Sometimes things ingame change overtime because certain parts if it don't work out as they where tought they would...

Looking at GW2, i would not be surprised to see high level weapons with different skills on them in future expansions. Maybe even Crafters being allowed to put certain skills on weapons to replace some of the base skills...

Also i think one day we might see a true AA system next to the trait system to create even more diversity inside a class...

so while everything that arenanet says above the game will be true at release, it can still change over the years after that.... Arenanet is smart enough to change those things in demand by the community if that doesn't hurt hte game ballance and the general fell of the game that they want to acheive...

So are there any thing we allready know about the game that you think they may change over time(after release)?

well this is something that can happen to just any game ...  everyone should expect something like this happen, not only on guild wars but just any mmo out there .. and not only mmos but lots of other games.

lots of things sound great on paper but in the actual gameplay people might find things that need improvement. i guess thats why they put the big text there ... "subject to change".

right now something what i think might change is the skills or skill amount that you can modify with your character. i like (and im sure many other people do to) avatar skill customization.. the thing that devs want to make is characters that are versatile and you can have many different builds ... blizzard stated when they were talking about making of diablo 3 that they want to change the flaws of diablo 2 character builds for example. i think they got it right when they mentioned that in lot of games you play a class that has just few different builds you can go with and it restricts you. after reading that article.. i kinda too came into realizesation that in lots of mmos that we play theres few classes you can choose from... and then when you have chosen that big bad looking hulk of a warrior you go online to to check what build your going for... then you see that theres like one or two different builds that really work out and you choose one and go with that... to me this is getting pretty old.

i would love to see what kind of stuff we can tweak with the character builds ... so far i heard that you get few skills that comes with the weapon of choice.. and then like 5 skills/talents that you can get to your character thats not weapon bound. i wonder really if this kind of system will give you versatility to your builds or not... if i really did memo right and information was right ( of course you can correct me if im totally wrong) but having just such little amount of skills available doesnt sound appealing.

im sure there has to be some other way to make character builds than only watching that skilltree that has been around rpgs for way too long

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Well, you never know but the first GW never did anything like that. There are a few green weapons that is the top of the line but the difference between them and the best gold ones are slim to nun.

All armors are the same even if a few runes are really expensive and hard to find as drops.

So based on GW I wouldn't hold my breath, ANET have kept the characters basically the same but added loads of harder content like hardmode and elite zones.

The only big difference from GW at launch and later is that it took a lot longer to level in the first campaign, in factions and Nightfall can you level up from 1 to 20 in just one evening, it takes a lot longer in Pro.

They have also made the game slightly easier now, but the difference is not at all as big as between Vanilla Wow and Wow now.

They will add a lot more skills, different looking gear, new classes and probably races too. But the basics will remain.

• RoybeRoybe Member UncommonPosts: 420

Weapons and armor I expect will never change for this game.  If they hold to GW1 these items, at top level, were identical across the board, even special drops (greens in the game), were not changeable, but with the proper skin and upgrades, any of them could be built relatively cheaply.  Armor was armor.  All were identical except for the skins and whatever choices to upgrade you made. 

This was a great system, I didn't feel the compulsion to have to have this armor or that armor to be effective, as well as this or that weapon. If I felt like being fashionable, I could by an armor, but I played most of the game on my main and alts with nothing but the first 'full' level piece of armor I bought.

Personally improvements/changes to gameplay mechanics will be something I would expect depending on starting implementation.  Doing some research on the market of these games, I've come across an interesting factoid.  Roughly 50% of an MMO is actually defined as 'casual' players. Less than 10% at any time are hardcore, with those hardcore players continuing in the game after they burnout as casual.  Looking at the changes made in positioning, skill use, etc. I can see a point where people will be wanting more of a click and shoot experience if casual playing is this high of a population.  If not a click and shoot, an automatic way to be positioned reasonably easily, call, acquire and maintain targeting, etc.

Although the use of smart phones is on the rise, if the use of these phones drops, then the phone play feature could be dropped, limited, etc.

Most of these ideas would be under the old saying of 'If 'ifs' and 'buts' were candy and nuts, then every day would be Christmas'.  So not sure how productive this thread would be since we have very little information to base any of this discussion on.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Originally posted by Corthagath

i would love to see what kind of stuff we can tweak with the character builds ... so far i heard that you get few skills that comes with the weapon of choice.. and then like 5 skills/talents that you can get to your character thats not weapon bound. i wonder really if this kind of system will give you versatility to your builds or not... if i really did memo right and information was right ( of course you can correct me if im totally wrong) but having just such little amount of skills available doesnt sound appealing.

im sure there has to be some other way to make character builds than only watching that skilltree that has been around rpgs for way too long

I really like the GW system for skills. There were hundreds of skills available to choose from for each class, but you could only take a limited selection to use at a particular time. It created a successful 'rock, paper, scissors' style of gameplay where no one class or build was the best for every situation.  Though I always wanted to take the number of skillslots up to 10 as there was originally only 8, I could still see how the limitation created the diversity.  There still ended up being builds like the "55 monk" which was virtually invulnerable to physical damage, but one disenchant and they were toast.  There were alot of builds that seemed insanely powerful for particular situations, but were weak in others.  Every class/build had it's strong points and weak points and it created a system that would necessitate skilled play, cooperation and foresight. 

I don't know how much I will like the new system for GW2, but I have alot of faith in Anet. I look forward to playing another game that uses limitations to create diversity.

EDIT: As for the OP question, I think that Anet will follow a similar suit with expansions, new classes, adding more costumes, and through expansions create greatter abilities to customize gear. I'm quite certain they will have determined what works for the game mechanics right off, and change that very little (other then subtle tweaks)

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• AblestronAblestron Member Posts: 333

I can see them including the monk as a profession by the time an expansion comes out, not really as the healer class it once was but more of a warrior monk, who uses smite magic and other forms of devine magic to buff and protect team mates. 

• mesmerisemesmerise Member UncommonPosts: 200

Originally posted by Master10K

Wow... We don't even know about all of the features in the game (PvP, Guild system, crafting, a release date) and we already have someone, speculating major game changes, to a game we've never played. Talk about jumping the gun. XD

However, it is fun to speculate about the possibilities sometimes. I imagine that more classes will be added overtime. Perhaps as more lands are reclaimed from the clutches of the Elder Dragons such as Elona, Cantha, Ascalon or Orr then these will open up opportunities for resettlement.  Perhaps if Orr is reclaimed from Zhaitan then the Six Gods will have more influence in the course of the world.