Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 Quick questions that I use to determine if I buy an MMO

MackehMackeh Member Posts: 164

1.  Does it use instancing (like STO, AOC) if the answer is yes then Bye Bye

2.  Does this game have world PvP like in WOW?  If the answer is no then Bye Bye

Comments

• AristidesAristides Member Posts: 172

Sounds like you may be saying Hello to JGE then.  Last I heard it wasn't instancing, and has world-level PvP.

Of course, this may change - they've changed the kind of game they are making something like three times since the thing was announced in 2007.  I'd say keep an eye on it.

• vodnikvodnik Member UncommonPosts: 31

Originally posted by Mackeh

2.  Does this game have world PvP like in WOW?  If the answer is no then Bye Bye

Umm, afaik WOW doesn't have world pvp.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by Robokapp

Originally posted by vodnik

WoW has it, players just rarely choose to engage in it.

That's not the game's fault.

Mackeh, I believe It is not instanced like STO, but Im not certain about the PvP; I thought it was to be open and meaningful, unlike WoW.  Yes, WoW has open world PvP ability, but there is absolutely no game-play purpose or value to it; it's meaningless, which is why folks go for the redundancy of raiding...correct me if Im wrong.

• HarabeckHarabeck Member Posts: 616

Originally posted by Robokapp

Originally posted by vodnik

WoW has it, players just rarely choose to engage in it.

That's not the game's fault.

It's entirely the game's fault.

• TikigodTikigod Member Posts: 42

To clearly answer the original two questions:

1) No, the game does not depend completely on instancing like STO and similar. The majority of JGE will be focused on a open universe where players co-exist in the same universe. There has however been confirmation in the past that the game will have multiple 'universes'. So there is unlikely to be one singular massive game world that everyone plays in, instead there will be multiple 'shards' (Or if you're more familiar with WoW-terminology.. there will be 'realms').

There is some form of instancing used for certain situations however, such as the 'Event sectors'. These are areas that are accessed through using a jumpgate out in space, where certain combat scenario will be acted out with players from all 3 nations taking part and fighting against each other. Instances being the ideal environment for such things as Netdevil can control how often such scenarios are played out (They've said event sectors will happen few and far between), and it also gives them full control over how many people can access a single one to keep things fun.

2) Will the game have open-world PvP? YES! This is the main focus of the entire game! The game is designed to be focused around the whole Nation versus Nation versus Nation situation, with players fighting over sectors in the name of their nation, and working as whole nation to defend their newly claimed sectors from the other two sides.

Though the last word given on the subject was that PvP would be restricted to fighting against members of the other two nations, and no inner-nation PvP possible (In order words, there will be no friendly fire).

Open-world PvP will not be possible everywhere in the game however, there has been confirmation that certain parts of the game will act as 'safe zones', the few examples given are around the nations 'core' territory away from the conflict sectors. With PvE mentioned as occuring in both 'safe zones' and within the Open-PvP areas.

----

Hope that helps. :)

You don't think there's anything amiss? I'm sat here wearing a red and white gingham dress, and army boots, you think that's un-amiss?

• Falk2010Falk2010 Member Posts: 15

As long as the instances are designed right they are great, i.e. an instance that has no player limit on it where anyone can go in and it doesn't limit how many people can join.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

To add a little more information. Although this game isn't vaporware to the best of my knowledge. It is currently in litigation , which means that for all intensive purposes everything is frozen. A dev will not waste time and effort and most importantly money ( which will be needed if it loses, which is more then likely ) on a game that is in litigation . It may be years before this game sees the light of day.  So don't get your hopes up.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Is there an mmo out there that doesn't use instancing? (ie raids, dungeons, single player areas, etc)

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

My only question is: "Is it fun"?

I can play an instanced PvE game (After all did I play loads of Diablo in the old days) or a FFA open PvP game.

I don't actually care as long as it is fun.  don't care if a beer is a stout, a lager, a pils or an ale either as long as it taste good... And so on.

Fine for you if you must have a game a certain way but thinking like that might make you miss out on a good game. It is kinda like refusing to date a beutiful redhead lady because you only date blondes.

Well, your loss of course and not my problem. But this game should work for you anyways.

• EvE and Vanguard don't have instancing.  EvE has mission sites but you could scan them out and go after them. Vanguard doesn't have any instanced ares but its on life support (I loved the game though).

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

If I recall , the main raiding area for Vanguard was instanced .  Ah, the fun . Most of Vanguard was open world though.