Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphics card for HP DC5750?

StylMagnusStylMagnus Member Posts: 10

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350340095558&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

i need to know what kind of graphics card would be good for this pc   i play games like dragonica/ dragonest/ vindictus etc

i believe this is the sff version and do not wish to buy a new psu any suggestions.

Comments

• StylMagnusStylMagnus Member Posts: 10

any 1

cant any one help me :(

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Give it 8 hours and you'll probably get a response. Not in 20 minutes.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Do you already have that PC? If you go just a little bit more cash you could build one much better. Otherwise I'd try to find a used low profile Geforce 8600GT or 9600GT.

Originally posted by noquarter

Do you already have that PC? If you go just a little bit more cash you could build one much better. Otherwise I'd try to find a used low profile Geforce 8600GT or 9600GT.

yes i already ordered it plus i dont think i would be able to build one i might seriously mess something up. Regarding the cards do you think they will be able to run with the stock psu?

Originally posted by StylMagnus

yes i already ordered it plus i dont think i would be able to build one i might seriously mess something up. Regarding the cards do you think they will be able to run with the stock psu?

They should they are very low power GPU's and often show up in fanless designs for HTPC's. The PSU in there is a 240W PSU, though generic brand I'm sure.

The case for that PC is a low profile case so when you get a video card make sure it specifically says that it's low profile or comes with a swappable low profile bracket. If you can't find a used one I can point out some new ones on newegg.

They should they are very low power GPU's and often show up in fanless designs for HTPC's. The PSU in there is a 240W PSU, though generic brand I'm sure.

The case for that PC is a low profile case so when you get a video card make sure it specifically says that it's low profile or comes with a swappable low profile bracket. If you can't find a used one I can point out some new ones on newegg.

Nice do you know of any radeon cards similar to the one you mentioned? and thanks for the help and in advance!

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Are you saying you just bought that, or that you bought it several years ago and are now looking to upgrade it, or that you might buy it, or are looking to replace it, or what?

You might be able to get a bit more life out of it by replacing the memory and adding a discrete video card.  There's a pretty good chance that the hard drive is old enough that it should be replaced.  It's also likely that the power supply isn't very good and should be replaced.  Even if you did all of that, you'd still be left with a rather dated machine with a five year old processor that a lot of games still wouldn't run well on, so you'd probably be better off replacing the whole thing outright than trying to upgrade it.

Originally posted by Quizzical

Are you saying you just bought that, or that you bought it several years ago and are now looking to upgrade it, or that you might buy it, or are looking to replace it, or what?

You might be able to get a bit more life out of it by replacing the memory and adding a discrete video card.  There's a pretty good chance that the hard drive is old enough that it should be replaced.  It's also likely that the power supply isn't very good and should be replaced.  Even if you did all of that, you'd still be left with a rather dated machine with a five year old processor that a lot of games still wouldn't run well on, so you'd probably be better off replacing the whole thing outright than trying to upgrade it.

well i like it 5 year old processor or not thats what im gonna use also most of the games i play require less from a processor any way. I just need a nice graphic card. also i just bought it , its on the way.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Nice do you know of any radeon cards similar to the one you mentioned? and thanks for the help and in advance!

Radeon 4670 or 4650 (low profile) or Radeon 5570 but that'll probably be hard to find used.

well i like it 5 year old processor or not thats what im gonna use also most of the games i play require less from a processor any way. I just need a nice graphic card. also i just bought it , its on the way.

You just bought that?  Yikes.  Cancel the order if you can.

If not, I'd say, don't bother trying to upgrade it.  Any money you sink into it is merely throwing good money after bad.  Upgrade one part and you'll merely be bottlenecked elsewhere, and won't gain much in performance.  To really fix that, you'd have to replace the whole thing outright.  If a game won't run well enough on it, then you can't play that game until you can afford to replace the computer.

At a bare minimum, in order to get newer games to run properly (on low graphical settings), you'd need a new video card, processor, and memory.  A new processor would require a new processor socket, which would mean a new motherboard.  You'd also need a new power supply to handle the new equipment.  You'd then need a new case for all of that hardware to fit.  Replacing everything would mean you need a new OS license, too.  The   The hard drive is likely old enough that it ought to be replaced on general principle.  At that point, the only component not replaced is the optical drive, and a brand new one of those can be had for under $20.

Just run it as it is until it dies, or until you get the money to replace the whole thing.  And if it dies, don't bother trying to diagnose it and replace whatever broke.  That, again, would just be throwing good money after bad.  When it dies, it's time to replace the whole thing.  If you're not so lucky, maybe it dies in a month.  If you're lucky, maybe you get a few years out of it, or it lasts until you can afford to replace it.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Quizzical

You just bought that?  Yikes.  Cancel the order if you can.

If not, I'd say, don't bother trying to upgrade it.  Any money you sink into it is merely throwing good money after bad.  Upgrade one part and you'll merely be bottlenecked elsewhere, and won't gain much in performance.  To really fix that, you'd have to replace the whole thing outright.  If a game won't run well enough on it, then you can't play that game until you can afford to replace the computer.

At a bare minimum, in order to get newer games to run properly (on low graphical settings), you'd need a new video card, processor, and memory.  A new processor would require a new processor socket, which would mean a new motherboard.  You'd also need a new power supply to handle the new equipment.  You'd then need a new case for all of that hardware to fit.  Replacing everything would mean you need a new OS license, too.  The   The hard drive is likely old enough that it ought to be replaced on general principle.  At that point, the only component not replaced is the optical drive, and a brand new one of those can be had for under $20.

Just run it as it is until it dies, or until you get the money to replace the whole thing.  And if it dies, don't bother trying to diagnose it and replace whatever broke.  That, again, would just be throwing good money after bad.  When it dies, it's time to replace the whole thing.  If you're not so lucky, maybe it dies in a month.  If you're lucky, maybe you get a few years out of it, or it lasts until you can afford to replace it.

Agreed, 1 gig of ram sucks, the processor is ancient and there is no info about the GFX card, it is probably something really crappy.

The absolute minimum is changing ram and GFX card, but I am pretty sure you also would have to get a new PSU to power the GFX card.

Of course do a kick ass GFX card boost the computer a lot but 2 ghz is pretty ancient so I am not sure it is worth the money, you could probably build a new and better for a lot less money than you spent on the computer and will have to spend on upgrading it.

Another thing: HP makes good printers but they suck on computers, even if their laptops are even worse than their desktops.

If it is possible to send it back do it. Otherwise get in 4 gigs of ram, an acceptable GFX card (like a 460 or 5850) and check the PSU, you probably have to change it too, I recommend to a Corsair 550 W. It should at least run most games then, but it is not a good buy.

It's Radeon X1150 integrated graphics, which is basically the integrated graphics part from the video card architecture ATI launched about six years ago as the X800 and X700 cards.

Do note that it's a thin case, so a lot of normal parts won't fit.  That makes a power supply upgrade rather awkward.  That's why I said the case would need to be replaced, too.

It's not just that it's a 2 GHz processor.  It's K8 architecture, which by modern standards is rather poor performance per clock cycle--meaning, it's slow for a 2 GHz processor.  It's probably a simple die shrink of a processor AMD launched about 5 1/2 years ago.

While I agree with you guys in principal and that system shouldn't even be booted up, we know his budget is pretty small (paid $170 and doesn't want to spend money on a new PSU). Making the best of an bad situation, a Radeon 4670 is a hell of a fast card for that old of a system and would be the best $40 he can spend on it.

I'd actually gone to the challenge of building a ~$200 system (sans video card) on Newegg before I decided to ask if he already bought it. I do seriously think he should try to back out of the purchase and build it himself or save $50-$100 more and buy new.

i thought it was a good buy since it has a dual core processor even though its only at 2 ghz. It can pretty much run all the games i want with a nice graphics card so i figured it could last me for a year or so

also would i need a new psu for this card ; Radeon 4670?

also would i need a new psu for this card ; Radeon 4670?

Most likely not, it's a very low power draw card, even lower than the 8600GT/9600GT.
  • bishbashboshbishbashbosh Member Posts: 57

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/5969/capturezj.png

You could build one much better for $283.

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

Originally posted by bishbashbosh

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/5969/capturezj.png

You could build one much better for $283.

Well really it's ~$400-$450 after a copy of Windows and shipping. The blasted hundred dollar OS always just kills budget builds, doesn't it? :)

As for the OP, that's really a very old machine and the ebay page is really pretty dishonest with the advertising. That said, for a $170, including an OS, that's honestly not too shabby. Slap in Noquarter's 4670 (which I agree with the recommendation for), another gigabyte of ram, which seems to be DDR2, and you're probably set. I'd keep the spending on this machine to a minimum, of course, but 1GB of RAM really just isn't enough, not even for Windows XP.

This would work fine for memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231170

The ebay page already says the machine has 4 DIMM slots, so you should be set to just pop it in.

well all i wanted was information on a decent graphics  card and thats what i got. Thank you all for your comments it is very much helpful... that said i dont have tons to spend on gaming computers and i really dont care as long as i can get decent fps at low specs.

If you want a cheap video card that isn't of the low end "don't try to play games on this" variety, a Radeon HD 4650 or GeForce GT 220 is kind of the minimum that will give passable performance.  A Radeon HD 4670, 5550, 5570, or 5670 or a GeForce GT 240 is a lot faster, and often not much more expensive.

One simple way to pick out gaming cards is to check the memory type.  If it's got GDDR5 memory, then it's built for gaming.  That can range all the way from the high end down to budget gaming cards that sell for $50 after rebate.  Non-gaming cards typically use cheaper DDR2 or DDR3 memory.

You've also got the concern that a lot of cards likely won't fit in that case, though.

Actually, if you live in the United States and don't mind messing with rebates, try this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121407

You're not going to beat $30 after rebate for a card with all the features you could want that give passable gaming performance at moderate video settings.  It should even fit in your case, though it might need the included low profile bracket.

that is nice but the 5550 im wondering about power usage would it still work with the stock psu?

I wouldn't trust the included power supply whether you make any other changes to hardware or not.  Your standards for hardware reliability seem to be rather lower than mine.

Let's put it this way:  if the power supply can't handle a Radeon HD 5550, then it can't handle any discrete video card you could put in it, with the possible exception of a low end "don't try to play games on this" card that is basically integrated graphics on a discrete card.