Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will CC be a "role"?

The question is simply will there be a class thats a dedicated CCer (IE: GW memsmers, EQ enchanters)?

Comments

• KriosisKriosis Member Posts: 345

Every class has a decent amount of CC. If I had to guess I'd say the SI and JC will have more CC then other classes.

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

I hope there's no real "CC" Classes. Generally those classes tend to be boring, despite the fact they are fairly good soloers.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

I really do hate the terms like "tank" and "healer" and so on. They tend to take you out of the immersion of the game you are playing. Might as well be doing spreadsheets at work.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• BahemothBahemoth Member Posts: 126

Originally posted by Miles-Prower

I hope there's no real "CC" Classes. Generally those classes tend to be boring, despite the fact they are fairly good soloers.

I on the other hand absolutely LOVE CC dedicated classes I find them the most enjoyable esp in PvP or group based PvE

• qotsaqotsa Member UncommonPosts: 835

Originally posted by Bahemoth

I on the other hand absolutely LOVE CC dedicated classes I find them the most enjoyable esp in PvP or group based PvE

Out of all the mmos I've played, no game has had a class I found as exciting as the EQ Enchanter. A good chanter had a huge role in determining the outcome of encounters. 

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

The problem with "Primary" CC classes is you have to build content around the use of CC, otherwise those classes become useless or undesireable over other classes in groups. Since they are now required, you have one more difficult scenario to fix. Now you have to encourage people to roll CC classes. So instead of just focusing on a tank, healer and DPS, you now have to focus on Tank, Healer, DPS, and CC.

It makes more sense to have a DPS class that can CC, similar to how WoW handles CC IMO.

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

From the demo video they released, it didn't look like you could do any sort of aoe tanking. In the video the trooper tanked the main enemy, while the jedi knight kept the secondary boss types busy. The jedi counselor healed (and was responsible for filming the video so didn't do much else) and the smuggler provided the dps. In general it just looked to me like the play was very tactical.

My main concern right now is from the videos I've seen the combat has been too easy. I hope the game gives the players a challenge.

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

Based on the advance classes so far released , almost everybody have CC in one form or another .

Cause basic combat they want you to fight 2-3 for mobs at a time .

So what consitute 1 monster spawn in other MMO game is divided into 3 monster at a time .

Also for pvp having CC in one way or another makes the game a bit more easier on slow clickers .

Dont know if you can chain CC famous stunlock of rogues (doesn´t always involve stuns but blind sap etc)

But while fun to pull off dont think its that kind of game in SWG .

Well a group chain CC you fine , thats nothing to be said and done . but one person just bringing you from 100-0 while you cant do a thing , isn´t exactly fighting is it ?

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495

The Happy Meal Generation of players that devs seem to be catering to in recent years do not want any real CC. They want tons of button mashing, and huge d33ps! The more cerebral combat that you recall from your enchanter, or me from my bard, in EQ1 is pretty much gone. Until developers start to remember that there are still players like us out there that want to play and enjoy tactical gameplay we will simply have to muddle through the current quick fix design models.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by Warzod

The Happy Meal Generation of players that devs seem to be catering to in recent years do not want any real CC. They want tons of button mashing, and huge d33ps! The more cerebral combat that you recall from your enchanter, or me from my bard, in EQ1 is pretty much gone. Until developers start to remember that there are still players like us out there that want to play and enjoy tactical gameplay we will simply have to muddle through the current quick fix design models.

EVE Online.

As for OP, I[object Window]m sure it[object Window]ll be useful in certain situations, but it won[object Window]t be a [object Window]fourth wheel on the tricyle of Tank-Healer-DPS.[object Window]

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

The problem with "Primary" CC classes is you have to build content around the use of CC, otherwise those classes become useless or undesireable over other classes in groups. Since they are now required, you have one more difficult scenario to fix. Now you have to encourage people to roll CC classes. So instead of just focusing on a tank, healer and DPS, you now have to focus on Tank, Healer, DPS, and CC.

It makes more sense to have a DPS class that can CC, similar to how WoW handles CC IMO.

Not true. City of Heroes/Villains had excellant CC classes. They were all very useful though generally earth was preferred in the first few levels. However, you could get by without them. It certainly made it easier to have CC'ers, but most archtypes had at least one CC skill in their own build to supplement the lack of dedicated Dominators/Controllers (the CC classes) should there be none around. Sort of like Tanking should be; you can get by without one, though a dedicated tank is by far preferred.

I do see what you're saying though, that the CC'ers would have to be kept in mind over the development of the game. But that should be for any class, really.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• FunkyLasagneFunkyLasagne Member Posts: 339

QFT.  Here's to devs not constructing classes purely on the opinion of Miles-Prower

• SilverwatchSilverwatch Member Posts: 232

I sure hope there is, a good healer in DAoC with AOE mezz/stun was fun to play in pvp!

Currently playing : Darkfall
    Character name : Aeola Anara
    Played: Almost every P2P MMO you can get your hands on, notably:
    Daoc, SWG, LOTRO, WAR, AoC + Dozens more

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561

EQ and Vanguard.

Enchanter and Psionicist.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE dedicated CC classes

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by Warzod

Amen to that. Specialization was a way of tactical gameplay, and it was great fun. Today everyone wants to do everything and in turn they are mediocre at everything. It's as you say just button mashing now.

I loved the days when people had defined roles and a team could cooperate with different roles adding to a success against difficult odds. But you had to learn your role in the team. Alas today people don't want to contribute as part of a team anymore, they want to be soloist, or at least a group of soloists were all are "hero". A loss.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

The question is simply will there be a class thats a dedicated CCer (IE: GW memsmers, EQ enchanters)?

Who really cares , as we will all be able to do a bit of everything. Crowd control does exist but it depends  to what extent you wish to pigeon hole yourself. not sure at this point it is worth worrying about the game will play out as it plays out.

I would rather no disabling abilities existed at all they are generally lame and turn tactics to mush..... next kill next kill next kill boring and predictable.