Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alganon is A good alternative to DAOC!

rogueshotrogueshot Member UncommonPosts: 18

PvP arrives in Alganon!

In our previous newsletter we announced our plan for integrating Player versus Player (PvP) systems into Alganon. The first stage is completed and players will now be able to participate in open-world PvP with players from the opposite faction, and compete in non-lethal duels with anyone. Now is the time to practice your dueling skills because the first Arena of Command will be held in a few weeks!

The Arena of Command

The Arena is a weeklong tournament where players will compete to be the sole survivor in their experience level band. Contests will be held for characters from level 10-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, and 50. The winner in each category will receive a one of a kind PvP trinket to aid them in the coming war. Worth playing for? Let's get started!

Practice, practice, practice. Arena of Command matches will be one-on-one, mano a mano, man vs. man. The best way to prepare yourself for a match will be to engage in duels with other players. You can now duel another player virtually anywhere in the world. The exception to this is in the two major cities where dueling is restricted to the clearly defined Tournament Grounds (Asheran) or Winnower's Circle (Xanjuix Karr). To duel another player simply target him, on his portrait right click and select "Duel". If the player can be challenged he can choose to duel you and a submission fight ensues. In no case can a character be killed while dueling! The killing blow is always averted as the losing player submits to his foe.

Open World PvP

The question is, do you feel lucky today? Maybe you're just so bad, luck is what you make it. Either way you can now show the world your confidence by flagging yourself for PvP. By turning on your PvP flag you are informing the opposing faction that they can attack you without warning. They will do so at great peril however, because attacking you will flag them in kind. But be warned, this is not a duel, rather a fight to the death. Keep a keen eye out for your enemies, the agents of war are determined to sow destruction upon the lands.

The Time to Join is NOW!

Alganon is free to play and the arena contest is open to all players. Create a new account here or log in and join in the fray! With much more to come, there has never been a better time to enter the world of Alganon.

Three Phases of PvP

PvP in Alganon is such a huge effort that we decided to roll it out in three phases

Phase I : Dueling and Open World PvP (Nov 2010)

Dueling

Dueling allows two players, from the same or different factions the ability to fight each other without outside interference to either practice their PvP skills, or for bragging rights. Dueling is never fatal; the player who would normally be killed as a result of the duel has their hit points set to 1 instead, and submits to the other player. Both players receive a message that the duel is over and that one of the players is the victor then it is recorded into the history books of Alganon.

Open World PvP

Open World PvP is fairly simple, Battle to the Death. A player "flags" themselves for PvP and then can be attacked by similarly-flagged members of the opposing faction.

Phase II : Towers and Keep (Dec 2010)

In each of the major continents of Alganon (3 Asharr and 3 Kujix) there will be a fortified Keep which initially will belong to the faction on whose continent the keep is located. Additionally each of these zones will contain three Towers, located in strategic areas around the zone. The three towers in each zone will also initially belong to the faction on whose continent each resides. The opposing faction will try to seize and control your Keeps. In order to take a Keep the enemy must first capture and hold all three towers in the zone. Once the enemy controls those towers, they can attack and try to capture your keep. By capturing the keep they will unlock the next zone in the chain, and will be able to attack the towers in that zone. The zones must be captured contiguously, and once an enemy captures a zone on your continent, you must recapture it before you can press the attack on his continent. Eventually one faction will capture the final Keep in their enemy's chain of command, and doing so will spawn the King of the opposing faction, located in either Xanjuix Karr or Asheran. The enemy then may enter the opposing side's city, and attack and try to kill the King. Successfully accomplishing this goal will result in a great reward for all the attacking faction's players in the immediate vicinity of the king.

Phase III : Battlegrounds (Q1/2011)

Fields and Farms will be the first Battleground we develop and release. It will be tied into the Towers and Keeps World PvP system. This will be a control point and resource collection map that takes place somewhere in the world of Alganon, and provides a benefit to the team that wins each match.

{SWG} HealShot
US & EU PvP and Raiding Guild. We are recruiting!
SWG Website | SWG Recruitment Thread

Comments

• rogueshotrogueshot Member UncommonPosts: 18

And again, I invite anyone to come to our server and come join the fun.

Server: Hokk

Race: Kujix / Talrok

{SWG} HealShot
  • rogueshotrogueshot Member UncommonPosts: 18

SW Gaming is providing a public VOIP Server also.

So,  stop by and say "Hi".

______________________________________________________________________________

( TeamSpeak 3)

Connection Info:

Address/IP : ts.swgaming.com 

Port: 9994

Password: TSW

If you are unable to move channels when you enter TeamSpeak contact our Admins(Guys with Crowns next to there names)

If you are unable to connect try the direct IP 72.249.124.58 if that still does not work try this IP 72.249.124.59 for the address.

If you have any question about the game or comments please ask. I'll do my best to answer all of them.

Again thank you for your time and effort and reading my thread!

Game More, Frag Hard!

Jon "HealShot, DoWolf" N.

{SWG} HealShot
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Self-inflicted bodily harm is a good alternative to Alganon!

Its just wrong to compare Alganon to DAOC.  Alganon is a poorly-made WoW clone.  DAOC used a story and concept that hadn't been done before in MMO gaming, as well as orginal artwork.  Alganon's artwork is so close to WoW's that I'm surprised they haven't been put out of business through a lawsuit for copyright infringement.  I don't care how much Alganon has "improved" over the past year.  It will always be the MMO that tried to copy WoW and failed.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

PvP in Alganon is relatively pointless, since the population is almost non-existent.  With whom is one supposed to fight?

Irrespective of that, PvP is essentially pay-to-win. It can't be anything other than that when a player can boost his/her HP by over 500 points with a single purchase while also significantly increasing his/her protection and attack power

Btw, lest you think I'm a "hardcore troll",I actually like Alganon.  I gave it an honest try over the last few months and chronicled some of my experiences in this forum (which generated quite a bit of traffic and even got a few new players to try the game). I don't think your viral marketing campaign is going to be all that successful. 

Personally, I found Alganon to be fun,but also a buggy mess with an extremely low population (which impacts crafting, the economy, grouping and PvP) and what I consider to be a flawed revenue model (I don't mind F2P, i just don't like Alganon's model).  I tried it and had fun, but the game and it's model need work, IMO.

~Ripper

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

Originally posted by syntax42

Alganon is a poorly-made WoW clone. 

I'll always maintain that Alganon was a poorly implemented Vanguard clone far more than it was a WoW clone.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179

Originally posted by PhelimReagh

I'll always maintain that Alganon was a poorly implemented Vanguard clone far more than it was a WoW clone.

You...you...actually...played Alganon.

My god, I'm so sorry.

Also, to the OP, how is PvP mashed on top of a PVE game better than PVP in a PVP game?

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• SaorlanSaorlan Member Posts: 289

Originally posted by rogueshot

SW Gaming is providing a public VOIP Server also.

So,  stop by and say "Hi".

( TeamSpeak 3)

Connection Info:

Address/IP : ts.swgaming.com 

Port: 9994

Password: TSW

If you are unable to move channels when you enter TeamSpeak contact our Admins(Guys with Crowns next to there names)

If you are unable to connect try the direct IP 72.249.124.58 if that still does not work try this IP 72.249.124.59 for the address.

If you have any question about the game or comments please ask. I'll do my best to answer all of them.

Again thank you for your time and effort and reading my thread!

Game More, Frag Hard!

Jon "HealShot, DoWolf" N.

Dude you are so far off the mark that it is painful to see. I love your enthusiasm for a failed product though :) Kudos.

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

Originally posted by skeaser

You...you...actually...played Alganon.

My god, I'm so sorry.

Also, to the OP, how is PvP mashed on top of a PVE game better than PVP in a PVP game?

Alganon had a lot of people excited about it before it came out. Thousands beta-tested and held out hope against hope. How do you think everyone came to realize how bad the game was?

• AesillAesill Member Posts: 18

there will NEVER be another DAoC ...Period...We can only hope someday someone somewhere realizes the community DAoC had and come out with a DAoC 2 but i'm not holdng my breath!!!! Still LOVE DAoC and play on the free server but it's still not the same as the orginal

• Meh-sah-yaMeh-sah-ya Member Posts: 17

Thats probably why its design is slightly better than your average WoW clone :) Shame the execution was so damn flawed. Played the game in beta like many others only to realize it has a loooong way to go. Still does, but I check out the news every now and then so maybe I can give it another try one day.

Santa Claus says such cruel things.

• lancelot76lancelot76 Member Posts: 119

Unfortunately, Rhinok/Ripper has the truth of it. Alganon could have been good, it certainly had a passionate team and vision behind it. But other than those things, everything else in Alganon makes it almost pointless to even try: you can get the same thing, only much better, almost anywhere else. Why is Alganon still a "buggy mess" over a YEAR after launch and several years of development before that? Passion & vision will only get you so far. Maybe next time, if you are going to offer "an alternative to WoW" at least make it stable & polished. Then most likely you would not have the mess we see today.

R.I.P. Alganon.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I'm an x 6 year DAOC vet. Looking and not finding the next DAOC.It's now mid January. New pvp implementation has been announced. Where is the game today . Where do you see it ....in the days ahead ?

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

Too late...rift is just arround the corner and has both good pvp and pve already, better graphics more content, more polished mutch more quality its new game and has 10000x more players then alganon ever had.

WTF will play Alganon now even with pvp?i know..a couple of dozen people ok...there is allways someone.

Originally posted by Pocahinha

Too late...rift is just arround the corner and has both good pvp and pve already, better graphics more content, more polished mutch more quality its new game and has 10000x more players then alganon ever had.

WTF will play Alganon now even with pvp?i know..a couple of dozen people ok...there is allways someone.

If you had played played DAOC  you would not have said RIFT is any kind of alternative to DAOC. I've had a Rift VIP pass.I've played Rift repeatedly trying to find something to like and I could find nothing to recommend it.It certainly has no DAOC elements so far that would recommend it despite many many month of requests from x DAOC players  in the RIFT forums.Most disappointing indeed since TRION had touted their x Mythic devs now on their staff.

The press release that notes faction tower fights will shortly be in the game with siege/keep fights to follow are encouraging indeed.

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

Im confused, theres now 3 factions, and alganon is an RvR game?

Seriously? 

Or do we not know what DAOC is?

http://www.qol.com/blog/?p=265

Faction conflict has been introduced into the game.There are two factions.They are in conflict(in pvp zones).Towers to fight for are about to be implemented. Keeps and keep fights are to follow followed by seige of the capital city.Crafting includes crafting siege items..Go to the companys site and read the latest developers blog released about a day or two ago.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Um. From the official description of Alganon's RvR, it's clearly an alternative to WAR not DAOC. 2 realms... open world flagged PvP... zone progression leading to a city siege/king fight... that's WAR not DAOC.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

I think the best  way to know what we're talking about is...to wait and see what is actually implemented.Then we'll know what it is and isn't. There might even be something original in their thinking that doesn't fit the established mold of either game.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by meddyck

Um. From the official description of Alganon's RvR, it's clearly an alternative to WAR not DAOC. 2 realms... open world flagged PvP... zone progression leading to a city siege/king fight... that's WAR not DAOC.

Yeah, when I was reading the tower battles part, ending with the king emerging to battle, etc.. I'm thinking "this is Warhammer Online...".

As has been pointed out though, while I think I "get" what the OP is trying to do with the DAoC comparison (potentially attract former players hoping for another experience like DAoC and, thus, get more people into Alganon)... there's various issues with that statement.

For one, as has been noted.. DAoC has 3 factions, not 2. This third faction acts as more than just another option, it helps keep any one side from grossly dominating any other, since it's a 2-on-1 situation.

For another DAoC had PvP/RvR has a core focus from the get-go, they didn't tag it on later.

Third, to reitterate, if anything, the PvP sounds more like WAR's setup than DAoC's.

Fourth, in order for PvP to be effective and fun, you need lots of people available and willing to fight each other... By most all accounts, Alganon seems to be lacking this crucial component. Fifth, if what someone said was true, and you can buy items from the cash shop to give you an advantage (more HP, etc) over players who don't have it... yeah... they've just turned their game into a case of "he with more money to spend, wins". Total turn-off there.

Best of luck to them, but I personally don't think adding PvP to a MMO without the population to support it was the best idea. I personally think they should have focused more on PvE aspects, or other activities to try and bring more people in first. This way, when PvP was added, there would be a large enough population to actually engage in it.

My two cents.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• crunchybackcrunchyback Member Posts: 44

Im curious about the mob latency issue.  Starting to get obnoxious, casting 8 or 9 fireballs into a mob where 1 will finish him off, only to die because none of them regester.

Im curious if this type of phenomenon will make its way into pvp.

Its not so bad when i know 3 fireballs should kill the mob, cast 3 times, wait for the first one to hit, then the second, then the third, on an enemy in melee range. However i cant imagine this being acceptable when im fighting actually difficult mobs, of worse, other players.

Anyone else having issues with this?  And is it possible that this could ruin any attempts at pvp in the game?

Other than that im really enjoying myself for what is a game with little or no other players around.  Usually between 2 (counting me) and 5 players.  I have yet to see chat or communication between players in otehr zones so its hard to tell if im just in a dead zone (starter area).  Which bring another question into mind....who will i be pvping with?

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Alganon to replace DAoC? Haha.

Try Regnum Online instead. Very similar to DAoC in mechanics.

Originally posted by SlyLoK

Alganon to replace DAoC? Haha.

Try Regnum Online instead. Very similar to DAoC in mechanics.

Regnums controls were horrid and most of the community, at least when i played, couldnt speak english.

Alganon needs to address their latency issues before it even tries to impliment PVP.  Like i stated above, nothing will keep people away more than PVP where its uncertain if your last shot will register in time to do damage.  Im finding myself losing track a lot of where the mobs health should be, relating to how many spells ive casted, and getting a lot of deaths because shots 3-6 havent registerd yet while the enemy pounds me to death.  Even had an issue where a mob wend under the ground, while still hitting me with a range shot.  Very fustrating.  Adding the high emotions of PVP with this type of uncertanty will definatly finish the game off IMO.

After a few weeks of on and off playing of Alganon, this stands out as the only major issue, and its a big one.  If this could be fixed somehow, then i could see some PVP action resulting in this game recovering, going from a state of near death to a state of uber niche small crowd.

Also, why did that "Major Marketing Push" thread get locked for necroing?  First post was Dec 9 2010, followed by constant posting up to the point where it was locked for necroing.  Year changes between dec 2010 and jan 2011, thats not a year space, its a few days, and thus not a necro.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Heh, they bought full-page ads for Alganon in the February 2011 issue of PCGAMER magazine and yet they still can't get hardly anyone to even try to play. All five of you guys out there enjoy your game. lol

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Heh, they bought full-page ads for Alganon in the February 2011 issue of PCGAMER magazine and yet they still can't get hardly anyone to even try to play. All five of you guys out there enjoy your game. lol

Who the hell subscribes to paper magazines when all that info is here on the interwebs for free?

And as player #5 i resent your post.  Im not going to support the game, im just going for the free t-shirt you get when you have played every mmorpg ever made. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

This thread should be reported for blasphamy.

These two games should never be compared again!

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon