Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SV apologizes for GM actions during disputed siege:

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

At least they admit the GM was out of line...

(Note the thread about the siege can be found here: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/298106/GM-interferes-with-player-siege.html  It was closed due to fighting that developed in the thread.  Please note that this thread is in relation to the new information [Company Apology] so please no arguing over the actual siege and let's keep this one clean so it doesn't have to be closed)

[Mod Edit]

PLEASE DO NOT POST ENTIRE PAGES OR LARGE PORTIONS OF A PAGE INTO A THREAD. EVERYONE CAN CLICK A LINK.

OK.. since we can no longer copy single posts... here is the key excerpt:

Let me start the apology by first saying that while the decisions the GM took were obviously wrong, he acted out of his best interest and had no intention of interrupting. It became apparant to us that the communication between the people ultimately in charge and the GM team caused both the intervention with the gate, as well as the ad-hoc-rule regarding the use of sledgehammers. It is not the job of the GM team to set up rules in the game, much less a sandbox, but to enforce them. A critical error in the internal communication lead to the GM acting like he did - but the fault for that is ultimately on the end of the people in charge. Setting up artificial rules in a sandbox disallowing the usage of a specific weapon or something similar is extremely counter productive. It is our job as developers to ensure that the mechanics work as intended.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Comments

• HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239

GM team... Isn't there only 1?  Good to see SV finally taking blame for one of their screw ups.  But, in the end it shows how mismanaged the whole thing is.

I win!!! LOL@U

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

Originally posted by username509

Old.. Duplicate topic.

It was discussed here...

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/298106/GM-interferes-with-player-siege.html

Please actually re-read the OP in it's entirety...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

[Mod Edit]

PLEASE DO NOT POST ENTIRE PAGES OR LARGE PORTIONS OF A PAGE INTO A THREAD. EVERYONE CAN CLICK A LINK.

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/56001-nov-19th-siege.html#post1060953

Just thought I'd provide the link for anyone who wants the apology in it's entirety. It's fairly clear from the explanation that  it was poor handling of bugs and an ad hoc attempt to rectify a problem rather than corruption or favoritism.

• linksalulinksalu Member Posts: 38

Originally posted by osmunda

[Mod Edit]

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/56001-nov-19th-siege.html#post1060953

Just thought I'd provide the link for anyone who wants the apology in it's entirety. It's fairly clear from the explanation that  it was poor handling of bugs and an ad hoc attempt to rectify a problem rather than corruption or favoritism.

From what I've read, the 'timeline' lists the yellow status as a bug -- yet didn't someone post a transcript of IRC a little while ago, with Discord responding to the yellow status as his way of making things more fair? Even if I misread the IRC transcript, that part seems a little wishy-washy to me. Come on, a bug that turned the gate AND several (defending) players yellow?

While it's nice SV admitted a mistake, it seems like they're trying to take responsiblity off their only GM by blaming magical yellow-making bugs, probably in an effort to keep the community from demanding his termination.

Originally posted by geldonyetich

Wow, I knew you guys were pretty desparate to slam the game, but hacking the web page of a major game site so a user review masquarades as an official one? Pretty impressive.

[Edit: no, after seeing there's an actual video associated with it, I guess not, despite the wierd way GameSpot distributes its content making it looks like the reviewer didn't even write this.]

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

I think SV realized their policy of handling things been rather stupid and now try to blame it on one person.

• SHOE788SHOE788 Member Posts: 700

Gamebreaking bugs ruin a siege and they perceive it as a "GM issue".

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

This was an apology? Sounds more like them tacking it on bugs and then defending a GM's actions...

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Here is the non-interference policy they promised a couple of days ago:

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/56079-non-interference-policy-outline.html#post1062070

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• QunitillianQunitillian Member Posts: 99

Originally posted by Rohn
    Here is the non-interference policy they promised a couple of days ago:
    http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/56079-non-interference-policy-outline.html#post1062070

Why do I feel like posting the leak, the email from SV's CM regarding the bias in banning etc, by syndic and others? IMO that policy is not worth the paper it is written on TBH.