Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Pirate Bay and appeals.

I know that a few months ago, the creators of TPB were sentenced to a year in prison and were forced to pay a fine of many millions of dollars.  They appealed the verdict and the trials were commencing during September and October.

I thought that an official verdict on the result on their appeals would have been released by now, but I cant find any source of information on google or any other news site.  Does anyone here know how the appeals process verdict for these guys?

-------------------------

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Could be that they wanted to set an example of the people who ran Pirate Bay so they don't want to publish the results.  I think the prosecution would have a hard time showing coroberation with IP theft.  On the other hand its already been published that the Judge of the original trial was in a position of bias.

The ruling is going to be announced tommorrow.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

they got one year only ? ..wow

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825

The official appeal went through on the basis another trial had been executed an innocent verdict for the thing. The Guilty Verdict in the court, contradicted another ruling that was used as a measure to cite a biased courtroom. The appeal weighed heavily...

The pirate bay is based in Sweden, a Nation that values freedom of Expression at the most extreme of values. So extreme, that Sweden is one of the leading nations of rape cases where a woman is liable to be placed on trial for "endangering" freedom of expression. It is a nation where the fear of expression being endangered causes the victim to be put on trial.

They also have national laws that do not protect intellectual property outside of their own creation, such like China, Japan and Korea, where anyone is allowed to download and operate on anything and at times (even distribute without permission) as those nations love selling subtitled bootlegged versions of unlicensed American and European Media, while a person is put on trial only for spreading (distributing) a good belonging to a citizen of the nation.

Example. If you live in Nation A and you download and spread something from Nation B, you wont be arrested to the point entire organizations (with almost no real power) exist to deal with people on international levels. However if you download and spread something created in Nation A (where you live), you can be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. 

So while all those people in the US are whining and complaining about "illegal downloads" which DO NOT EXIST since its not written into laws that downloads are illegal, the real pirates are the people who download, subtitle and then SELL FOR MONEY unlicensed software in their own nations. 

"My people love Windows XP, everyone downloaded it and it helped us greatly. Thank you for such a wonderful product" 

~The leader of Romania, in a discussion with Bill Gates about the Microsoft Operating System.

^_^ The amazing thing to The Pirate Bay is that if you looked it up on Wikipedia, most of the information written is false. The Pirate Bay case is actually written now in Legal Books covering Intellectual Property and approaches to Law in the Digital Age. 

Pardon me for the long reply, Happy Thanksgiving everyone. 

• NagelFireNagelFire Member Posts: 409

Originally posted by Shinami

The official appeal went through on the basis another trial had been executed an innocent verdict for the thing. The Guilty Verdict in the court, contradicted another ruling that was used as a measure to cite a biased courtroom. The appeal weighed heavily...

The pirate bay is based in Sweden, a Nation that values freedom of Expression at the most extreme of values. So extreme, that Sweden is one of the leading nations of rape cases where a woman is liable to be placed on trial for "endangering" freedom of expression. It is a nation where the fear of expression being endangered causes the victim to be put on trial.

They also have national laws that do not protect intellectual property outside of their own creation, such like China, Japan and Korea, where anyone is allowed to download and operate on anything and at times (even distribute without permission) as those nations love selling subtitled bootlegged versions of unlicensed American and European Media, while a person is put on trial only for spreading (distributing) a good belonging to a citizen of the nation.

Example. If you live in Nation A and you download and spread something from Nation B, you wont be arrested to the point entire organizations (with almost no real power) exist to deal with people on international levels. However if you download and spread something created in Nation A (where you live), you can be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. 

So while all those people in the US are whining and complaining about "illegal downloads" which DO NOT EXIST since its not written into laws that downloads are illegal, the real pirates are the people who download, subtitle and then SELL FOR MONEY unlicensed software in their own nations. 

"My people love Windows XP, everyone downloaded it and it helped us greatly. Thank you for such a wonderful product" 

~The leader of Romania, in a discussion with Bill Gates about the Microsoft Operating System.

^_^ The amazing thing to The Pirate Bay is that if you looked it up on Wikipedia, most of the information written is false. The Pirate Bay case is actually written now in Legal Books covering Intellectual Property and approaches to Law in the Digital Age. 

Pardon me for the long reply, Happy Thanksgiving everyone. 

After reading that the verdict was set to be released today, I spent the better part of an hour looking for it, and I couldn't find it.  Does anyone else know where it might be?

Just kidding.  i thought the result was meant to be sent yesterday, not today.  I will spend my day awaiting results on this trial.

-------------------------