Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skills

2»

Comments

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by BlahTeeb

READ. UP. ON. TRAITS.

They really change a skill. In GW1 you basically had a whole bunch of skills, but the differences were sort of like this... one sword attack did a lot of damage but only hit one target... while another did less damage but hit multiple. Well with traits, you are able to adjust the skill to do that.

A class with the same weapons will almost certaintly NOT have the same build. With traits, a skill is can be changed ALOT.

Here are some trait effects...

An attack does splash instead of single target.

Healing spells will also heal you.

Two strikes of damage instead of one.

Melee sills become ranged.

Lowers cooldown.

A skill does more damage.

Now if you take those and change the first 5 skills, your build is completely different from someone else with the same first 5 skills.

READ TRAITS.

Oh cool. They sound just like glyphs. theres another similarity to wow.

No no, they are not like glyphs. Glyph-like skills are already in GW2. Traits are not skills. Traits are a secondary layers underneath skills that makes them appear to be two different skills. Yes, in whole they are one skill, but in effect (permanent and consistent) they are different, as long as you have learned that trait and choose it.

Seriously though... look at the majority of games out there. Especially WoW. See all the skills they have? Now if you could get a "most commonly used skills set" from the top and best warriors, they would all be using the same build with a slight difference in skills. It doesn't matter if WoW offers 100 skills, only a handful are even worth using. 

Of course it is hard to judge from GW2, so I will give you GW1 examples instead. The top teams, and I'm talking about the guys who compete for hundreds of thousands of dollars... do not use a handful of skills. Each class was offered a hundred skills or so, and ALL of those skills were useful.

How many paths can you go down if you play warrior? That's right... no where near as many as GW.

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Do you really believe the sequel to a game like Guild Wars, with level of customisation and differentiation that created an entire metagame, made by the same people as Guild Wars, would not let you differentiate your characters? Do you really?

Please.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by dinams

Originally posted by BlahTeeb
    READ. UP. ON. TRAITS.
    They really change a skill. In GW1 you basically had a whole bunch of skills, but the differences were sort of like this... one sword attack did a lot of damage but only hit one target... while another did less damage but hit multiple. Well with traits, you are able to adjust the skill to do that.
    A class with the same weapons will almost certaintly NOT have the same build. With traits, a skill is can be changed ALOT.

Here are some trait effects...
    An attack does splash instead of single target.
    Healing spells will also heal you.
    Two strikes of damage instead of one.
    Melee sills become ranged.
    Lowers cooldown.
    A skill does more damage.

Now if you take those and change the first 5 skills, your build is completely different from someone else with the same first 5 skills.

READ TRAITS.

Oh cool. They sound just like glyphs. theres another similarity to wow.

lol obvious trololol of doom
    btw anyone have seen RobertDinh? That guy is a professional unlike this one here... I miss his "objectiveness" xD

not trolling. and im sorry if youre mad. i was way into gw2 when i first talked to the guys at pax 09. and ive wanted gw2 to be my next mmo. but so far, besides the graphics, ive been steadily let down with each new feature thats announced. i dont hate the game, im not rooting against it. its not even in closed beta yet. i will give it as many chances as i want. i dont know who you are or who robert dunh is, but id rather you leave me out of it.

• dubledubdubledub Member Posts: 229

Originally posted by drkoracle

Originally posted by noturpal

Originally posted by drkoracle

So this is how it works:

5 Skills = Chosen by the game depending on your weapons

1 Skill = Has to be some form of healing skill

1 Skill = Elite

3 Skills you can freely choose.

Cookie Cutter is kinda madatory now ^^

Please!

like the 99% of the rest of you, u pretend to not get all your builds from pvx.

at least this time I won't have to explain the differences of shame and guilt to terribad wowfanbois like you.

I am not a fanboy, for any game, phone, developer or ice cream... scratch that, I may be a Ben and Jerry fanboy. Did I make any statement anywhere sugesting WoW or any game is better than GW2 ?

Nope

I just think the skill system sounds a little dumbed down, and while it is true most people cookie cutter anyway, here you are forced too, or thats what it sounds like to me. I am sure we will have a better idea once some form of beta comes out but until then it's fun too debate.

Your just trolling.

Ima go crazy if you say one more time that the skill system is dumbed down or that it's forced cookie cutter!

READ UP ON TRAITS. We've told you enough already. There's no shame in being wrong, there is shame in arguing against all the evidence simply because you're too stubborn to admit you're wrong, it's not productive.

READ UP ON TRAITS.

• AblestronAblestron Member Posts: 333

Traits are a way of boosting the effectiveness of skills, and changing the way your charactor plays; such as taking a better knockdown trait instead of a bonus damage trait, suddenly your role becomes more on control than damage. 

Guild wars 2's skill set up is meant to improve team oriented combat while still retaining peoples ability to play solo. 

"Cookie cutter builds" insinuates that your charactor will only ever be able to play one or two roles in the game. But guild wars 2 doesnt follow this philosohpy at all, because the amount of skills available to you at one time dont stop at whats actively on your skill bar. Weapons play an active part in the build process; I can switch between my weapons and offhand items in the middle of combat and suddenly Im playing a much different role than before; liek if I was a warrior and was originally weilding two axes, which make my first 5 skills very damage dealing, but then I switch to a sheild and mace, and suddenly Im more defencive controll oriented, as I can block, sheild bash, and cause knockdown with my mace. But even if my first 5 skills change back and forth from supportive to offensive, I also have an elite skill that can heal everyone in the vacinity if we start to loose the fight, even if my weapons are currently a more damage dealing offensive. 

Like I just showed you in my example, the warrior is capable of all 3 of guild wars 2's battle mechanics; damage, support, and control. He wasnt held to any one speciffically because of the build I chose. 

Also theres the freedom of movement the've given us. We can cast spells and skills as we run, and we're given the ability to dodge in the game as well, making positioning a much more important tactic than before. 

Also with how skills effect other skills (fire wall + any arrow = fire arrow) (static feild + bullet = electric bullet w/ stunning effects) the skills you choose can become allot more strategic in the team element of gameplay. so taking firewall becomes more than just a damage skill, it also becomes support for your team mates. And static feild becomes more than just an area effect skill, another player can spead its stunning effects to targets outside of its range with their own projectiles like bullets from their guns.  

The guild wars 2 skill system has allot more to it then what you only see present on the skill bar at one time. 

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by arenasb

Other than being a fantasy mmo, what simliarities do they have?

-Easily Accessible

-Casual Friendly

-Fast Leveling

-Stylized Graphics

-Underwater Combat/cities

-Small set of skills/talent/traits to work with

-Consensual, instanced pvp

-starting with 8 classes (actually blizz had more)

-porting to zones without having to "physically" travel (hearth is more limited)

-multiple mobile app support

-node farming for mats

there are more that i would speculate but would probably get flamed more than i already will

This list is hilarious.  You're comparing WoW and GW2 (which hasn't even released yet) here and yet.....I could plug in ANY.....okay, ALMOST any goddamn MMO and it fits here.   These have become your MMO basics, with the exception of maybe underwater zones and mobile apps (don't worry....that will also be the absolute norm over the next 2 years).

It would be better for someone to make a list of all the things GW2 has that WoW DOES NOT, but.....rather than doing EITHER.....how about waiting for the actual RELEASE like someone with common sense WOULD?

Or....if you'd rather.....I can start typing a LIST of games that fit your above comparisons, but it's gonna take me a long time, so just let me know.

/rolls eyes

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• AblestronAblestron Member Posts: 333

Originally posted by alkrmr

waaaahhhhhhhh waaaaaahhhhhhh waaaahhhhhhh

sorry that's pretty much what i see when i read these threads about games that arnt even out yet

The purpose of these threads is to answer questions, and explain to people what the game is. Sure it'll be allot more clear when the game comes out, but its important to talk about it with the poeple who dont understand parts of it, or have questions about the game so that they can get a good understanding of weather or not they want to buy it on release. 

• mesmerisemesmerise Member UncommonPosts: 200

I think that the OP may be selling the game a bit short right now, but that could be because I am admittedly hyped over what this game is proposing to do for the genre! However, since only half the races have been announced, release is still TBA, crafting is still not explained, etc. I think that we should just be patient for more information to slowly churn out of Washington state.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by just1opinion

Originally posted by arenasb
    Other than being a fantasy mmo, what simliarities do they have?

-Easily Accessible
    -Casual Friendly
    -Fast Leveling
    -Stylized Graphics
    -Underwater Combat/cities
    -Small set of skills/talent/traits to work with
    -Consensual, instanced pvp
    -starting with 8 classes (actually blizz had more)
    -porting to zones without having to "physically" travel (hearth is more limited)
    -multiple mobile app support
    -node farming for mats
    there are more that i would speculate but would probably get flamed more than i already will

This list is hilarious.  You're comparing WoW and GW2 (which hasn't even released yet) here and yet.....I could plug in ANY.....okay, ALMOST any goddamn MMO and it fits here.   These have become your MMO basics, with the exception of maybe underwater zones and mobile apps (don't worry....that will also be the absolute norm over the next 2 years).

It would be better for someone to make a list of all the things GW2 has that WoW DOES NOT, but.....rather than doing EITHER.....how about waiting for the actual RELEASE like someone with common sense WOULD?

Or....if you'd rather.....I can start typing a LIST of games that fit your above comparisons, but it's gonna take me a long time, so just let me know.

/rolls eyes

Im comparing announced features by anet to released features by blizzard. they seem similar to me, so i shared my opinion. thanks for your opinion.